Prologue – Dol Guldur (T.A. 2850)
- Gandalf enters Dol Guldur, where he finds Thrain in the dungeons
- Thrain gives Gandalf the map and key.
- Gandalf is discovered by Sauron, but escapes
- The company explores the troll cave. They bury a chest of treasure and take a number of weapons, including Glamdring, Orcrist and Sting.
- Gandalf leads the company to Rivendell.
- Elrond inspects Glamdring and Orcrist, as well as discovering the moon runes on Thror’s Map.
- Elrond talks with Gandalf about the Necromancer
- The company leaves Rivendell after resting.
- Stone Giants hurl rocks against the mountains. Thorin sends Fili and Kili to look for better shelter.
- Fili and Kili return and lead them to a better cave.
- Bilbo awakes from a nightmare to find goblins swarming into the cave from the back. They are taken into a tunnel, except for Gandalf.
- The dwarves are taken to the Great Goblin.
- The Great Goblin attempts to kill Thorin after finding Orcrist, but is killed by Gandalf.
- Gandalf leads them away from the hall. Dori is carrying Bilbo until he is grabbed by a Goblin, flung from Dori’s back and sent tumbling down the tunnels.
- Bilbo finds a metal ring and puts it in his pocket.
- Bilbo is surprised by the creature Gollum, who he fends off with his dagger.
- Gollum challenges Bilbo to a game of riddles. If Bilbo wins, he will be shown the way out.
- Bilbo wins the game of riddles, but Gollum leaves to retrieve his ring.
- Gollum finds The Ring gone.
- Gandalf leads the dwarves down the twisting tunnels to the exit.
- Gollum returns to Bilbo with intent to kill him. Bilbo runs back up the tunnel, slipping the Ring onto his finger.
- Gollum runs past Bilbo, who realises the Ring makes him invisible.
- Bilbo follows Gollum, who stops at the exit. Bilbo contemplates killing him, but seeing how pitiful Gollum is, decides against it.
- Armoured goblins guard the exit. Bilbo slips past them but his buttons catch in the door. The goblins see his shadow, but Bilbo tears loose.
First Appearances – Erestor, Gollum, Great Goblin, Bolg
Deaths -Great Goblin
Adapted from chapters ‘A Short Rest’, ‘Over Hill and Under Hill’ and ‘Riddles in the Dark’ from The Hobbit and Appendix B of Lord of the Rings.
- Weapon of the Enemy – Suzy Almblad
- Pass the Doors of Dol Guldor – John Howe
- Troll Fells – Jef Murray
- Out of Imladris – Jef Murray
- The Great Goblin – John Howe
- Riddles in the Dark – Michael Hague
- Riddles in the Dark – Ted Nasmith