This episodes marks a departure from the main plot to instead focus on the rest of Middle-Earth rather than the Noldor. The main focuses are Morgoth in Angband and Thingol in Doriath. I found it more effective to give Thingol and episode of his own rather than give him a couple of minutes of screen time every now and then.
Prologue – Doriath (Y.T. 1130)
Tells of how Melian the Maia came to Doriath. And the trance Elwe (Thingol) fell into when he saw her.
Angband (Y.T. 1497)
- Morgoth returns to his seat in Angband, received by Sauron.
- Sauron informs Morgoth of the Sindar Elves that dwell in Doriath.
- Morgoth orders Sauron to prepare the army for attack.
- Thingol meets with the dwarves of Belegost, forging an alliance. He returns home to Melian.
- Spies return to warn Thingol of orcs in the north.
- Doriath is suddenly assaulted by Morgoth in the First Battle.
- Thingol and his army go on the offensive. He and King Denethor of the Green Elves attack the orcs at Amon Ereb. Denethor is slain, but the elves are victorious. The retreating orcs are killed by dwarves.
- Returning to Menegroth, Thingol finds Galadriel and Celeborn.
- Feanor’s encampment in Mithrim ready for battle.
First Appearances – Thingol, Melian, Denethor
Deaths – Denethor
Adapted from chapters ‘Of Thingol and Melian’, ‘Of the Flight of the Noldor’ and ‘Of the Sindar’ from The Silmarillion, ‘The History of Galadriel and Celeborn’ from Unfinished Tales and ‘The Grey Annals’ from The War of the Jewels.
- King of Doriath – Elena Kukanova
- Nan Elmoth – Elwe and Melian – Elena Kukanova
- Angband – Unknown
- Beleg Departs Menegroth – Alan Lee
Prologue – Valinor (Y.T. 1400)
Manwe, unable to understand evil and with the advice of Nienna, releases Melkor to live in Valinor.
Angband (Y.T. 1497)
- Sauron informs Morgoth of the Noldor’s arrival. Morgoth makes quick plans to strike first.
- The Noldor meet the Grey-Elves in Mithrim, learning of the First Battle and of King Thingol
- Feanor makes plans with his sons to besiege Angband. Maedhros wants to wait for Fingolfin but Feanor refuses.
- The encampment is ambushed by Morgoth’s forces, led by Gothmog.
- Feanor fights back and disperses the orcs. He leads his forces north.
- They are attacked by orcs retreating from the south, but Feanor’s sons lead an assault and overwhelm them.
- Feanor and his sons destroy most of the orcs, but a small group escapes. Feanor pursues them in his wrath.
- Many more of Fingolfin’s host have died. Fingolfin leads them on, leaving the ice desert as the moon rises.
- Feanor leads the army to within sight of Angband. But as he reached Dor Daedeloth, a host of balrogs issued forth from Thangorodrim.
First Appearance – Drauglin
Adapted from ‘Of Feanor and the Unchaining of Melkor’, ‘Of the Sindar’ and ‘Of the Return of the Noldor’ from The Silmarillion.
- moon-and-stars – Tamera Smith
- The Captivity of Morgoth – Jacek Kopalski
- The Balrogs of Morgoth – Thylacinee
- The Coming of Fingolfin – Jenny Dolfen
The Battle-under-Stars and the Battle of Lammoth have been combined.
Prologue – Angband (Y.T. 1300-1400)
Sauron and the Balrogs create orcs, born from tortured elves. Melkor returns and Sauron welcomes him.
Lammoth (Y.T. 1497)
- Fingolfin’s army arrives as the sun first rises. They are attacked by the orcs of Morgoth as they arrive. Fingolfin’s son Argon cuts his way through the orcs and slays their leader. He is surrounded and killed.
- Fingolfin manages to drive off the rest of the orcs. They press on towards Thangorodrim.
- Feanor fights the balrogs head on. He manages to slay several.
- Eventually Feanor is alone on the battlefield. He is wounded several times by Gothmog but continues fighting.
- Feanor’s sons come down on the balrogs before Feanor is killed. They drive them off and carry Feanor from the battlefield.
- During the battle Maedhros is captured by Gothmog.
- Feanor looks upon Thangorodrim from afar and curses Angband thrice. As he dies his body burns to ashes.
- Fingolfin reaches Angband and forces the remaining army of Morgoth behind their gates. Despite their efforts they know they cannot destroy Angband with force.
- Maedhros is brought before Morgoth. Morgoth imprisons him on Thangorodrim. Hanging him by the wrist upon the mountain.
- Feanor’s sons meet Fingolfin’s host again on the shores of Mithrim
- Maglor recounts that they were still bound by the Oath of Feanor.
- Thingol permits Galadriel and Celeborn to stay, as they are both Teleri in nature.
- Thingol and Melian climb to the top of the forest. There Melian sets a great fog to conceal Doriath from Morgoth, called the Girdle of Melian.
- Elrond asks Maglor to come to Rivendell, but he refuses. Elrond watches as Maglor slowly wanders off down the coastline.
Deaths – Feanor, Argon
Adapted from chapters ‘Of the Coming of Elves and the Captivity of Melkor’, ‘Of the Sindar’, ‘Of the Sun and Moon’ and ‘Of the Return of the Noldor’ from The Silmarillion, ‘The History of Galadriel and Celeborn’ from Unfinished Tales and ‘The Shibboleth of Feanor’ from The Peoples of Middle-earth.
- Thangorodrim – ?
- Feanor vs Gothmog, Lord of the Balrogs – bobgreyvenstein
- Maedhros Capture by Orcs – Jenny Dolfen
- Maglor’s Fate by the Sea – Jenny Dolfren