- Gollum comes across the company. He begins to follow them.
- Gandalf leads them to the West-gate of Moria, where they are forced to let Bill the Pony go.
- Gandalf has trouble opening the door, but he eventually remembers the password with help from Merry.
- The Watcher in the Water attacks Frodo and pulls him into the water. Aragorn and Boromir save him, but as they escape into the mines the Watcher collapses the door behind them.
- Gandalf leads them through the many passages of Moria. Frodo thinks he hears footsteps behind him.
- Gimli tells the others of the many wonders of Moria.
- They come to three passages, which stumps Gandalf.
- Pippin throws a rock down a well, angering Gandalf.
- Gandalf chooses a passage, which turns out to be the right one when they find a great underground hall.
- They find the Chamber of Mazarbul and Gimli mourns beside the tomb of Balin.
- Gandalf reads from the Book of Mazarbul, written by Ori. It tells of Balin and his colony being destroyed by orcs. (flashback)
- They hear the booming of a drum in the deep, and the scurrying of feet. They bar the chamber and are attacked by orcs and a cave troll. Frodo stabs the troll’s foot and it withdraws, but an orc chieftain breaks through and stabs Frodo.
- Aragorn kills the chieftain and the rest of the orcs are driven off.
- Gandalf remains behind to seal the door. Legolas is forced to drag Gimli away from Balin’s Tomb.
- Gandalf is forced to flee, having met his match. They continue on down stairways, fired upon by orc archers.
- The orcs chase them to the Bridge of Khazad-Dum, the balrog coming upon them. Gimli leads them across the bridge while Gandalf holds it.
- Gandalf reflects the balrog’s attacks and breaks the bridge in two, causing the balrog to fall into the abyss. The balrog grabs Gandalf with its whip and Gandalf falls down with it.
- The company flees Moria.
- They stumble on away from the walls before collapsing.
Deaths – Gandalf, Balin (flashback), Ori (flashback), Oin (flashback)
Adapted from chapters ‘A Journey in the Dark’ and ‘The Bridge of Khazad-Dum’ of The Lord of the Rings.
- Mines of Moria – CG Warrior
- The Gates of Moria – Alan Lee
- The Watcher in the Water – Joona Kujanen
- The Halls of Durin – Alan Lee
- Balin’s Tomb – Anke Eissmann
- The Bridge of Khazad-Dum – Paul Monteagle
- The Balrog – Ted Nasmith
- The Bridge of Khazad-Dum – John Howe
- Moria – John Howe
- Frodo dreams of Gandalf in the abyss, surrounded by darkness and nameless monsters.
- Gimli takes Frodo to look into the waters of the Mirrormere.
- Aragorn examines Sam and Frodo’s wounds, finding Frodo’s mithril coat.
- Aragorn leads them to Lothlorien, though Boromir is wary.
- Legolas tells the history of Lorien. Gimli is angered at the suggestion that the dwarves’ actions had threatened the surrounding lands.
- As the company enters the woods, they are stopped by Haldir.
- Haldir takes them up into their tree platforms. Soon after, orcs pass underneath.
- Haldir’s men kill the orcs. Frodo sees Gollum for a brief moment.
- Haldir takes them to Caras Galadhon. He forces Gimli to be blindfolded. When Gimli objects, Aragorn says they will all be blindfolded.
- Haldir removes their blindfolds. He takes Frodo and Sam up to a high platform overlooking the beauty of the forest.
- The company meet with Galadriel and Celeborn. Aragorn tells them of Gandalf’s demise. Celeborn blames the dwarves, but Galadriel says it is not their fault.
- Galadriel searches the hearts of the Fellowship.
- Aragorn daydreams about his time with Arwen in the forest. He also remembers his last meeting with his mother, Gilraen.
- The Fellowship, and the Lorien elves, grieve for Gandalf. Frodo writes a song in his memory.
- Galadriel soothes Gimli’s sorrows, using Khuzdul. Gimli attempts to compliment her, clumsily.
- Legolas and Gimli walk together in the woods, finding friendship instead of hate.
- Galadriel takes Frodo to the middle of her garden, Sam follows. She fills a basin there with water and bids Frodo to look. Sam looks first and sees the Shire destroyed. Frodo sees an old white man, ships, a white tower and a great eye.
- Galadriel tells them it is what may come to pass. She shows Frodo her ring. Frodo offers her the Ring, but after a dark vision she refuses.
- Aragorn tells the others they must continue. Boromir wants to go to Minas Tirith, not to destroy the Ring. Frodo does not wish to.
- Galadriel gives them all gifts. The Elfstone to Aragorn, the Phial to Frodo, belts and daggers to Boromir, Merry and Pippin, a box of earth to Sam, a bow to Legolas and three of her golden hairs to Gimli.
- Celeborn offers each of them to stay in Lorien, but they all choose to follow Frodo. He gives them lembas bread, rope and elven cloaks.
- In boats, they leave Lorien down the river Anduin.
- Saruman sends out Ugluk and the Uruk-Hai to track the Fellowship.
First Appearance – Ugluk
Adapted from Chapters ‘Lothlorien’, ‘The Mirror of Galadriel’ and ‘Farewell to Lorien’ of The Lord of the Rings.
- Farewell to Lothlorien – Alexandra V Bach
- Durin’s Stone – Matej Cadil
- Crossing Nimrodel – Anke Eissmann
- Frodo and Haldir in Lothlorien – Ted Nasmith
- First Meeting of Aragorn and Arwen – Anke Eissmann
- Mirror of Galadriel – Alan Lee
- Galadriel – Thomas Rouillard
- The Phial of Galadriel
- Frodo dreams of Gandalf and the balrog atop an endless stair, a frozen mountain peak.
- Boromir starts to stare at Frodo often.
- Sam and Frodo notice Gollum following in a log.
- At night, Gollum comes up to the boats. Frodo draws his sword, but then Aragorn attempts to catch him, scaring him off.
- The company come upon the rapids of Sarn Gebir. Orcs fire arrows from the eastern shore and a great, winged shape rises. Legolas takes it down with his bow.
- Boromir now argues to head for Minas Tirith, but Aragorn refuses.
- They pass the Argonath.
- Before the Falls of Rauros, they beach the boats near Amon Hen.
- Aragorn asks Frodo to decide their next course. Frodo wanders off to think.
- Boromir follows Frodo. He tries to convince Frodo to take the Ring to Gondor. When Frodo disagrees, Boromir tries to take the Ring. Frodo puts the Ring on and disappears. Boromir then regains his wits, weeping at his actions.
- Frodo runs to the top of Amon Hen, where he sees Barad-Dur and Sauron’s eye searching for him. He takes the Ring off, before deciding he must go to Mordor alone.
- Aragorn and the others debate their next move, before worrying about Frodo. Boromir comes back to the camp, revealing he scared Frodo away.
- Sam runs off with Aragorn going after him, sending Boromir to look after Merry and Pippin, who have also run off. Legolas and Gimli also go to search for Frodo.
- Aragorn stops Sam, saying there is danger near. He goes to the top of Amon Hen. Sam however, heads back to the boats.
- Aragorn comes across Saruman’s host of orcs. Legolas, Gimli, Merry and Pippin are also ambushed.
- Boromir comes to the aid of Merry and Pippin.
- Frodo, still invisible, escapes the orcs.
- Boromir sounds his horn. Legolas and Gimli come to Aragorn’s aid. They run to help Boromir.
- Boromir is pierced by arrows, but remains standing. He tries to save Merry and Pippin from being taken, but he falls at last.
- Aragorn comes across Boromir dying. Boromir admits he tried to take the Ring.
- Frodo reaches the boats. He begins to cross the river but Sam chases after him. As Sam struggles in the river, Frodo drags him on to the boat. They leave for Mordor together.
- Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli place Boromir’s body in a boat and send it down the falls. Instead of going after Frodo, they choose to chase after the orcs that took Merry and Pippin.
Death – Boromir
Adapted from chapters ‘The Great River’, ‘The Breaking of the Fellowship’ and ‘The Departure of Boromir’ of The Lord of the Rings.
- The Horn of Boromir – Matt Stewart
- Zirak-Zigil – John Howe
- Nightwatch – Anke Eissmann
- The Argonath – Ted Nasmith
- Frodo and Boromir – Anke Eissmann
- Parth Galen – Catherine Chmiel
- Boromir – John Howe
- The Departure of Boromir – Anke Eissmann