- The White Council leads the army of Lothlorien to Dol Guldor.
- The White Council defeat the orcs of Dol Guldor and drive out Sauron.
- Bolg leads an army of orcs and wargs past Beorn’s lands.
- Gandalf leaves the White Council.
- Gandalf comes across Bolg’s army on the borders of Mirkwood. He turns east and rides through the forest.
- Smaug hurls boulders and flames against the secret door.
- He flies towards Laketown
- Bilbo finds the thrush and writes a message for it to find Bard.
- Smaug comes upon Laketown. He flames the entire town, killing many.
- Bard and his men shoot at Smaug, but the arrows deflect off him.
- The thrush finds Bard with the message. Bard finds Smaug’s weak spot and hits it with his Black Arrow.
- Smaug dies, falling upon the town.
- The dwarves go down and discover the gold. Thorin gifts Bilbo with a Mithril coat.
- Through the front gate they see the destruction of Laketown.
- The survivors reach the shore. The people hail Bard.
- The raft-elves come upon them. Bard tells of Smaug’s death.
- A messenger comes to Thranduil, informing him of Smaug’s death.
- Bard argues with the Master about their direction. The people side with Bard and drive the Master away.
- Thranduil and his elves come to Esgaroth and help the survivors.
- Thranduil talks with Bard about the dwarves and their gold. They both agree they deserve portions.
Death – Smaug
Adapted from chapters ‘Not at Home’, ‘Fire and Water’ and ‘The Gathering of the Clouds’ in The Hobbit and Appendix B of Lord of the Rings.
- Gathering of the Clouds – David Wyatt
- Attack on Dol Guldur – Angus McBride
- Bilbo and the Thrush – Alarie
- Alert the Folk – John Howe
- The Black Arrow – Ted Nasmith
- Gandalf and Erebor – minenanoah
- A raven, Roac, comes to Erebor, sent by Dain.
- Thorin observes the Elvenking’s armies. He sends Roac back with a message for Dain to bring a host of armoured dwarves.
- The dwarves fortify the gate of Erebor.
- Bard comes to speak with Thorin. Thorin refuses to give up any treasure and will not speak with Thranduil.
- Bilbo attempts to convince the dwarves against war.
- Bilbo takes the Arkenstone and sneaks down to the camps.
- Bilbo is found by Gandalf who takes him to Bard and Thranduil.
- Bilbo gives Thranduil the Arkenstone.
- The next day, Bard shows Thorin the Arkenstone.
- Thorin kicks Bilbo out of the mountain.
- Dain and his dwarves arrive but are blocked by Bard. The dwarves ready to attack.
- Gandalf stands between the armies and tells of Bolg coming from the north.
- The three armies protect the mountain against Bolg. The goblins gain the upper hand.
- Thorin leads the dwarves out of the mountain.
- The Eagles arrive.
- Thorin fights Bolg and is wounded gravely. Fili and Kili fall defending him.
- Beorn arrives and kills Bolg.
- Bilbo is hit on the head by a falling rock and is knocked out.
First Appearance – Roac
Deaths – Fili, Kili, Bolg
Adapted from the chapters ‘The Gathering of the Clouds’, ‘A Thief in the Night’ and ‘The Clouds Burst’ in The Hobbit.
- The Battle of Five Armies – John Blanche
- Thorin and Roac – John Howe
- The Siege of Erebor – Alan Lee
- The Arkenstone – Ulla Thynel
- The Battle of Five Armies – ‘The Last Stand of Thorin Oakenshield’ – Lucas Graciano
- Battle Under the Mountain – Matt Stewart
- Bilbo wakes up to find the battle over.
- Gandalf finds Bilbo and takes him to the camps.
- Bilbo finds Thorin dying. Thorin repents his actions and greed before he dies.
- Thorin is buried in Erebor, with the Arkenstone and Orcrist upon his chest.
- Dain is crowned King Under the Mountain. He gives 1/14th of the treasure to Bard to rebuild Dale.
- Bilbo says goodbye to the dwarves
- Bilbo leaves with Gandalf, Thranduil and Beorn.
- Bilbo narrates the rebuild of Dale, leaving Beorn and returning to Rivendell.
- Elrond offers Bilbo a home at Rivendell, but Bilbo chooses to return home.
- Bilbo digs up the treasure left at the troll’s cave.
- Bilbo returns to Bag End to find the Sackville-Baggins selling off his possessions.
- Bilbo tries to convince everyone that he’s not dead.
- (T.A. 2949-2980)
- Gandalf and Balin visit Bilbo at Bag End.
- Bilbo adopts his young cousin, Frodo.
- Bilbo begins writing the Red Book of Westmarch.
First Appearances – Frodo Baggins, Lobelia Sackville-Baggins, Otho Sackville-Baggins, Gaffer Gamgee, Ted Sandyman, Farmer Cotton
Death – Thorin
Adapted from the chapters ‘The Return Journey’ and ‘The Last Stage’ of The Hobbit and Appendix B of Lord of the Rings.
- The Return Journey – Charles Burggraf
- Beorn Finds Thorin – Joona Kujanen
- The Death of Thorin – John Howe
- Balin – Turner Mohan
- Visit to Bilbo – Alan Lee
- Many Paths to Tread – Jef Murray