- The hobbits are given a ride by Farmer Maggot, who tells them of the black rider looking for Frodo.
- Merry gives the hobbits dinner and a bath.
- Frodo tells the others he plans to leave, only to have Merry and Pippin reveal they know all about the Ring, thanks to Sam. They insist on coming along.
- Frodo dreams of a dark forest, a great sea and a white tower.
- In the morning they leave Crickhollow, leaving Fatty behind.
The Old Forest
- Merry leads them to a path, entering the Old Forest.
- They lose the path several times, attempting to head north, but the trees block their way.
- They find the river Withywindle and suddenly feel drowsy, falling asleep against an old willow.
- Sam goes to find the ponies and when he returns he finds Frodo to have fallen in the river.
- Frodo claims the willow pushed him in and that Merry and Pippin are trapped inside it. They attempt to light a fire but put it out when they hear Merry screaming.
- Frodo runs to find help, and finds it. A man called Tom Bombadil. He sings a song demanding the willow free the hobbits, and it complies.
- Tom takes the hobbits to his house.
- Gandalf talks to Saruman about the One Ring. Saruman however, desires it for himself. He offers Gandalf to join him and take the power from Sauron.
- Gandalf refuses, and so Saruman overpowers him and imprisons him on the top of Orthanc.
The House of Tom Bombadil
- The hobbits eat and sleep at Tom’s house. Tom tells them stories about the forest and the old cities that were built around it.
- Frodo dreams of a man atop a stone tower.
First Appearances – Farmer Maggot, Tom Bombadil, Goldberry
Adapted from chapters ‘A Shortcut to Mushrooms’, ‘A Conspiracy Unmasked’, ‘The Old Forest’, ‘In the House of Tom Bombadil’ and ‘The Council of Elrond’ of The Lord of the Rings.
- Apparition of Tom Bombadil – Roger Garland
- Farmer Maggot – John Howe
- Bathing at Crickhollow – Ted Nasmith
- Old Man Willow – J.R.R. Tolkien
- The Willow Man is Tamed – Ted Nasmith
- Saruman and Gandalf – Montanini
- Goldberry – D.W. Luebbert