- History of the Shire and Hobbits
- History of Erebor and Smaug
The Shire (Third Age Y. 2941)
- Gandalf introduces himself to Bilbo at Bag End.
- Bilbo declines Gandalf’s offer of adventure.
- The next night dwarves arrive in groups to Bilbo’s house for dinner.
- Gandalf arrives with the last dwarf, Thorin.
- Gandalf has volunteered Bilbo to be a burglar for Thorin’s quest – to take back Erebor.
- In the morning the dwarves are gone. Gandalf comes in and takes Bilbo to the dwarves. They set off.
- The company passes through Bree-land and Bilbo gets to know the dwarves.
- Gandalf educates Bilbo on the lands and peoples they pass.
- It begins to rain and Gandalf suddenly disappears.
- A fire is seen in the distance. Bilbo is sent to investigate.
- Bilbo is captured when he tries to take a money purse.
- The dwarves come in and are captured as well.
- As the trolls argue, another voice argues another point, which makes the trolls argue more. The sun comes out and turns them to stone. Gandalf reveals himself.
- Gandalf and Bilbo release the dwarves.
First Appearances – Bilbo Baggins, Thorin, Balin, Dwalin, Fili, Kili, Gloin, Oin, Dori, Nori, Ori, Bifur, Bofur, Bombur, William, Bert, Tom, Thror, Thrain
Deaths – William, Bert, Tom
Adapted from chapters ‘An Unexpected Party’ and ‘Roast Mutton’ from The Hobbit, ‘The Quest of Erebor’ in Unfinished Tales and Appendix B of Lord of the Rings.
- Once Upon a Time in Hobbiton – Dale Comte
- The Hall at Bag End, Residence of Bilbo Baggins Esquire – J.R.R. Tolkien
- An Unexpected Party – John Howe
- Left Comfort Behind – Suzy Almblad
- Trolls – Ted Nasmith
- The Three Trolls are Turned to Stone – J.R.R. Tolkien
Prologue – Dol Guldur (T.A. 2850)
- Gandalf enters Dol Guldur, where he finds Thrain in the dungeons
- Thrain gives Gandalf the map and key.
- Gandalf is discovered by Sauron, but escapes
- The company explores the troll cave. They bury a chest of treasure and take a number of weapons, including Glamdring, Orcrist and Sting.
- Gandalf leads the company to Rivendell.
- Elrond inspects Glamdring and Orcrist, as well as discovering the moon runes on Thror’s Map.
- Elrond talks with Gandalf about the Necromancer
- The company leaves Rivendell after resting.
- Stone Giants hurl rocks against the mountains. Thorin sends Fili and Kili to look for better shelter.
- Fili and Kili return and lead them to a better cave.
- Bilbo awakes from a nightmare to find goblins swarming into the cave from the back. They are taken into a tunnel, except for Gandalf.
- The dwarves are taken to the Great Goblin.
- The Great Goblin attempts to kill Thorin after finding Orcrist, but is killed by Gandalf.
- Gandalf leads them away from the hall. Dori is carrying Bilbo until he is grabbed by a Goblin, flung from Dori’s back and sent tumbling down the tunnels.
- Bilbo finds a metal ring and puts it in his pocket.
- Bilbo is surprised by the creature Gollum, who he fends off with his dagger.
- Gollum challenges Bilbo to a game of riddles. If Bilbo wins, he will be shown the way out.
- Bilbo wins the game of riddles, but Gollum leaves to retrieve his ring.
- Gollum finds The Ring gone.
- Gandalf leads the dwarves down the twisting tunnels to the exit.
- Gollum returns to Bilbo with intent to kill him. Bilbo runs back up the tunnel, slipping the Ring onto his finger.
- Gollum runs past Bilbo, who realises the Ring makes him invisible.
- Bilbo follows Gollum, who stops at the exit. Bilbo contemplates killing him, but seeing how pitiful Gollum is, decides against it.
- Armoured goblins guard the exit. Bilbo slips past them but his buttons catch in the door. The goblins see his shadow, but Bilbo tears loose.
First Appearances – Erestor, Gollum, Great Goblin, Bolg
Deaths -Great Goblin
Adapted from chapters ‘A Short Rest’, ‘Over Hill and Under Hill’ and ‘Riddles in the Dark’ from The Hobbit and Appendix B of Lord of the Rings.
- Weapon of the Enemy – Suzy Almblad
- Pass the Doors of Dol Guldor – John Howe
- Troll Fells – Jef Murray
- Out of Imladris – Jef Murray
- The Great Goblin – John Howe
- Riddles in the Dark – Michael Hague
- Riddles in the Dark – Ted Nasmith
Prologue – Bree
- Gandalf meets Thorin in Bree. Thorin invites him to his halls in the Blue Mountains.
- Gandalf and the dwarves argue about Bilbo’s whereabouts.
- Bilbo finds the dwarves and surprises them.
- Goblins and wargs chase them down the mountains, led by Bolg.
- The company climb trees to escape them.
- Gwaihir, Lord of Eagles, hears the wargs and swoops down to save the dwarves.
- The company is taken back to the Eyrie. From there Gwaihir takes them to the Carrock.
- Gandalf leads them on to Beorn’s house. He informs them he will be leaving soon.
- Gandalf devises a plan – he will enter first with Bilbo and the other dwarves will come in two at a time.
- Beorn welcomes Gandalf and is interested in his story. He is not impressed with the dwarves but allows them to stay.
- Thorin tells Bilbo of Bolg, the son of Azog who killed his grandfather Thror and in turn was killed by Thorin’s cousin Dain.
- Beorn serves dinner. As the dwarves sleep he leaves to kill the goblins that have come east.
- Beorn sends them to Mirkwood with ponies, food and weapons.
- Gandalf leaves them on the borders of Mirkwood.
- The company sets out along the path, becoming disoriented with the darkness, sounds and animals of the forest.
- They come to the Enchanted River. They manage to pull the boat from the other side and cross the river. Bombur falls in the river, causing him to sleep. They are forced to carry him.
- Bilbo climbs up a tree to find where they are.
- Balin sees a light in the distance, they follow it.
- They find a group of elves feasting. As they step into the light it goes out and the elves disappear.
- Bilbo loses his companions. As he sleeps he is attacked by a spider.
First Appearances – Azog (flashback), Dain, Beorn, Gwaihir, Landroval
Adapted from chapters ‘Out of the Frying Pan and Into the Fire’, ‘Queer Lodgings’ and ‘Flies and Spiders’ of The Hobbit and ‘The Quest of Erebor’ in Unfinished Tales.
- At Beorn’s Hall – Ted Nasmith
- Gandalf and Thorin at Bree – Ted Nasmith
- Out of the Frying Pan and Into the Fire – HeathWind
- Beorn – Michael Hague
- Dain and Azog – Liz Danforth
- Elvish Feast in Mirkwood – ullako
- Gandalf comes to Lothlorien, where he meets the White Council.
- Gandalf tells of Thrain and Sauron in Dol Guldor and urges an attack.
- The dwarves are tied up in webs. Bilbo kills a spider and puts on the Ring. He calls his dagger ‘Sting’.
- Bilbo lures the spiders away and frees the dwarves.
- They find that Thorin is missing. The spiders return and the dwarves manage to kill them.
- As they are looking for Thorin they are captured by wood-elves. Bilbo evades capture.
- Thorin had been captured earlier and was brought before Thranduil.
- Thorin refuses to tell of his quest and is locked up with the others.
- Bilbo finds the dwarves and relays messages between them.
- Bilbo steals the keys from Thranduil’s drunk butler and frees the dwarves.
- Bilbo gets the dwarves into barrels. The elves come and push the barrels into the river.
- Bilbo grabs onto a barrel and rides down the river until they get to the Long Lake.
- The raft-elves find the barrels and load them onto the raft, where Bard takes them back to Laketown.
First Appearances – Bard, Legolas (not named), Haldir, Galion
Adapted from chapters ‘Flies and Spiders’ and ‘Barrels out of Bond’ of The Hobbit and Appendix B of Lord of the Rings.
- Guards of Mirkwood – Henning Janssen
- The Spiders of Mirkwood – Ted Nasmith
- Blindfolded – Henning Janssen
- Barrels our of Bond – Francesco Amadio
- Raft-elves – David T. Wenzel
- The dwarves pop out of the barrels when they arrive at Laketown, dirty and exhausted.
- Bard takes them to meet the Master.
- The Master throws a feast for the dwarves. Thorin hailed as a hero.
- The day after the feast, the dwarves ready to leave for Erebor.
- Saruman agrees to an attack on Dol Guldor.
- The elves of Lothlorien ready for the attack.
- The dwarves walk through Dale and find the secret door.
- Bilbo finds the thrush and the sun shines upon the keyhole.
- Thorin sends Bilbo down to steal something.
- Bilbo sees Smaug and steals a cup, taking it back to Thorin.
- Smaug notices the cup is gone and bursts out of the mountain. He finds the ponies and eats them. Bombur has remained at the bottom of the mountain. They hurl him up with a rope and flee inside the door before Smaug scorches the side of the mountain.
- They send Bilbo back down to find the Arkenstone. Smaug smells him this time. Bilbo flatters Smaug until he can find the Arkenstone, at the same time seeing Smaug’s weak spot.
- Smaug deduces Bilbo is from Laketown and so flies off to destroy it.
First Appearances – Smaug, Master of Laketown, Girion (flashback)
Adapted from chapters ‘A Warm Welcome’, ‘On the Doorstep’ and ‘Inside Information’ in The Hobbit and Appendix B of Lord of the Rings.
- Conversation with Smaug – J.R.R. Tolkien
- Laketown – J.R.R. Tolkien
- Abusing Hospitality – Henning Janssen
- When the Thrush Knocks – Ted Nasmith
- Scouring the Mountain – Ted Nasmith
- Smaug the Destroyer – Ted Nasmith
- The White Council leads the army of Lothlorien to Dol Guldor.
- The White Council defeat the orcs of Dol Guldor and drive out Sauron.
- Bolg leads an army of orcs and wargs past Beorn’s lands.
- Gandalf leaves the White Council.
- Gandalf comes across Bolg’s army on the borders of Mirkwood. He turns east and rides through the forest.
- Smaug hurls boulders and flames against the secret door.
- He flies towards Laketown
- Bilbo finds the thrush and writes a message for it to find Bard.
- Smaug comes upon Laketown. He flames the entire town, killing many.
- Bard and his men shoot at Smaug, but the arrows deflect off him.
- The thrush finds Bard with the message. Bard finds Smaug’s weak spot and hits it with his Black Arrow.
- Smaug dies, falling upon the town.
- The dwarves go down and discover the gold. Thorin gifts Bilbo with a Mithril coat.
- Through the front gate they see the destruction of Laketown.
- The survivors reach the shore. The people hail Bard.
- The raft-elves come upon them. Bard tells of Smaug’s death.
- A messenger comes to Thranduil, informing him of Smaug’s death.
- Bard argues with the Master about their direction. The people side with Bard and drive the Master away.
- Thranduil and his elves come to Esgaroth and help the survivors.
- Thranduil talks with Bard about the dwarves and their gold. They both agree they deserve portions.
Death – Smaug
Adapted from chapters ‘Not at Home’, ‘Fire and Water’ and ‘The Gathering of the Clouds’ in The Hobbit and Appendix B of Lord of the Rings.
- Gathering of the Clouds – David Wyatt
- Attack on Dol Guldur – Angus McBride
- Bilbo and the Thrush – Alarie
- Alert the Folk – John Howe
- The Black Arrow – Ted Nasmith
- Gandalf and Erebor – minenanoah
- A raven, Roac, comes to Erebor, sent by Dain.
- Thorin observes the Elvenking’s armies. He sends Roac back with a message for Dain to bring a host of armoured dwarves.
- The dwarves fortify the gate of Erebor.
- Bard comes to speak with Thorin. Thorin refuses to give up any treasure and will not speak with Thranduil.
- Bilbo attempts to convince the dwarves against war.
- Bilbo takes the Arkenstone and sneaks down to the camps.
- Bilbo is found by Gandalf who takes him to Bard and Thranduil.
- Bilbo gives Thranduil the Arkenstone.
- The next day, Bard shows Thorin the Arkenstone.
- Thorin kicks Bilbo out of the mountain.
- Dain and his dwarves arrive but are blocked by Bard. The dwarves ready to attack.
- Gandalf stands between the armies and tells of Bolg coming from the north.
- The three armies protect the mountain against Bolg. The goblins gain the upper hand.
- Thorin leads the dwarves out of the mountain.
- The Eagles arrive.
- Thorin fights Bolg and is wounded gravely. Fili and Kili fall defending him.
- Beorn arrives and kills Bolg.
- Bilbo is hit on the head by a falling rock and is knocked out.
First Appearance – Roac
Deaths – Fili, Kili, Bolg
Adapted from the chapters ‘The Gathering of the Clouds’, ‘A Thief in the Night’ and ‘The Clouds Burst’ in The Hobbit.
- The Battle of Five Armies – John Blanche
- Thorin and Roac – John Howe
- The Siege of Erebor – Alan Lee
- The Arkenstone – Ulla Thynel
- The Battle of Five Armies – ‘The Last Stand of Thorin Oakenshield’ – Lucas Graciano
- Battle Under the Mountain – Matt Stewart