Prologue – Bree
- Gandalf meets Thorin in Bree. Thorin invites him to his halls in the Blue Mountains.
- Gandalf and the dwarves argue about Bilbo’s whereabouts.
- Bilbo finds the dwarves and surprises them.
- Goblins and wargs chase them down the mountains, led by Bolg.
- The company climb trees to escape them.
- Gwaihir, Lord of Eagles, hears the wargs and swoops down to save the dwarves.
- The company is taken back to the Eyrie. From there Gwaihir takes them to the Carrock.
- Gandalf leads them on to Beorn’s house. He informs them he will be leaving soon.
- Gandalf devises a plan – he will enter first with Bilbo and the other dwarves will come in two at a time.
- Beorn welcomes Gandalf and is interested in his story. He is not impressed with the dwarves but allows them to stay.
- Thorin tells Bilbo of Bolg, the son of Azog who killed his grandfather Thror and in turn was killed by Thorin’s cousin Dain.
- Beorn serves dinner. As the dwarves sleep he leaves to kill the goblins that have come east.
- Beorn sends them to Mirkwood with ponies, food and weapons.
- Gandalf leaves them on the borders of Mirkwood.
- The company sets out along the path, becoming disoriented with the darkness, sounds and animals of the forest.
- They come to the Enchanted River. They manage to pull the boat from the other side and cross the river. Bombur falls in the river, causing him to sleep. They are forced to carry him.
- Bilbo climbs up a tree to find where they are.
- Balin sees a light in the distance, they follow it.
- They find a group of elves feasting. As they step into the light it goes out and the elves disappear.
- Bilbo loses his companions. As he sleeps he is attacked by a spider.
First Appearances – Azog (flashback), Dain, Beorn, Gwaihir, Landroval
Adapted from chapters ‘Out of the Frying Pan and Into the Fire’, ‘Queer Lodgings’ and ‘Flies and Spiders’ of The Hobbit and ‘The Quest of Erebor’ in Unfinished Tales.
- At Beorn’s Hall – Ted Nasmith
- Gandalf and Thorin at Bree – Ted Nasmith
- Out of the Frying Pan and Into the Fire – HeathWind
- Beorn – Michael Hague
- Dain and Azog – Liz Danforth
- Elvish Feast in Mirkwood – ullako