Prologue – Rivendell
- The White Council meets to discuss the Rings of Power.
- Saruman declares the Ring lost in the Belegaer.
- Gaffer Gamgee and a few hobbits discuss Bilbo at the Green Dragon.
- Bilbo continues to write the Red Book.
- Bilbo and Frodo send out invitations to his 111th birthday party.
- Bilbo and Frodo, along with Sam, Merry, Pippin, Fatty, Gaffer and several other hobbits prepare for the party.
- Gandalf arrives and talks with Bilbo.
- Gandalf shows off his fireworks at the party.
- Bilbo gives a speech. At the end of the speech he puts on the Ring and disappears.
- After arguing with Gandalf, Bilbo leaves the Ring behind and leaves.
- Frodo arrives back at Bag End. Gandalf gives him the Ring.
- The next day Gandalf says he must leave immediately. He tells Frodo not to wear the Ring.
- Saruman looks in the Palantir towards Mordor, finding Sauron.
- Easterlings come to Mordor.
- Sauron sends out servants to find the One Ring.
- The Nazgul capture Gollum.
- Gandalf finds and read a scroll written by Isildur about the One Ring.
- A messenger comes to Erebor to speak with Dain. They mention Bilbo and the Ring.
- Dain sends Gloin, Gimli and a few others to Rivendell to warn Bilbo.
First Appearances – Frodo Baggins, Sam Gamgee, Merry Brandybuck, Pippin Took, Fatty Bolger, Odo Proudfoot, Lotho Sackville-Baggins, Robin Smallburrow, Rosie Cotton, Gimli
Adapted from chapters ‘A Long-expected Party’, ‘The Shadow of the Past’, ‘The Council of Elrond’ and Appendix B of The Lord of the Rings.
- Bilbo’s Eleventy First Birthday Party – Paul Raymond Gregory
- The Shire – Roger Garland
- Gandalf Returns to Hobbiton – John Howe
- Bilbo’s Speech – Francesco Amadio
- Saruman and the Palantir – Anna Kulisz
- Nazgul – cblair
- Glorfindel carries Frodo to Elrond, who begins to heal him.
- Aragorn and the hobbits are welcomed by Gandalf.
- Legolas, Gloin and Gimli, and Boromir arrive in Rivendell.
- Frodo awakens two days later to find Gandalf sitting nearby. Gandalf explains the Ringwraiths, Frodo’s wound and the flood at the Ford.
- Gandalf takes Frodo to the Hall of Fire, where he finds his friends. Among the guests he also finds Gloin and Bilbo. They talk of Erebor and Bilbo’s work, including A Elbereth Gilthoniel.
- Glorfindel explains to Frodo how he returned from death. He also tells of the Ringwraith that stabbed Frodo, the Witch-King, and the battles of Arnor and Angmar. He claims the Witch-King will not fall by the hand of man.
- Aragorn helps Bilbo with his poem and then talks to Arwen and Elrond. Elrond reasserts his condition for Aragorn and Arwen to marry: Aragorn must become King of Gondor and Arnor.
- The next day, Gandalf takes Bilbo and Frodo to the Council of Elrond.
- Elrond states the purpose of the Council and introduces Frodo and the Ring.
- Gloin tells of the messenger that came to Erebor and Legolas tells of Gollum’s escape.
- Elrond relates the history of the Ring. Afterwards Boromir tells of his dream. Aragorn reveals the shards of Narsil.
- Gandalf tells of Gollum and the treason of Saruman.
- The Council debates on what to do. Boromir suggest using the Ring for good, while Glorfindel suggests throwing it in the sea. Elrond declares it must be destroyed in Mount Doom.
- Bilbo, despite his age, volunteers to take the Ring. Gandalf says he cannot, and so Frodo volunteers instead.
- Sam bursts forth from hiding and says Frodo will not go alone.
First Appearances – Lindir, Galdor
Adapted from chapters ‘Many Meetings’ and ‘The Council of Elrond’ and Appendix A of The Lord of the Rings.
- The Council of Elrond – Peachdust
- A Pleasant Awakening – Carol Emery Phenix
- Battle of Fornost – Merlkir
- Hall of Fire – Stephen Hickman
- Lord of Rivendell – Peter Xavier Price
- The Council of Elrond – Alan Lee
- History of the Shire and Hobbits
- History of Erebor and Smaug
The Shire (Third Age Y. 2941)
- Gandalf introduces himself to Bilbo at Bag End.
- Bilbo declines Gandalf’s offer of adventure.
- The next night dwarves arrive in groups to Bilbo’s house for dinner.
- Gandalf arrives with the last dwarf, Thorin.
- Gandalf has volunteered Bilbo to be a burglar for Thorin’s quest – to take back Erebor.
- In the morning the dwarves are gone. Gandalf comes in and takes Bilbo to the dwarves. They set off.
- The company passes through Bree-land and Bilbo gets to know the dwarves.
- Gandalf educates Bilbo on the lands and peoples they pass.
- It begins to rain and Gandalf suddenly disappears.
- A fire is seen in the distance. Bilbo is sent to investigate.
- Bilbo is captured when he tries to take a money purse.
- The dwarves come in and are captured as well.
- As the trolls argue, another voice argues another point, which makes the trolls argue more. The sun comes out and turns them to stone. Gandalf reveals himself.
- Gandalf and Bilbo release the dwarves.
First Appearances – Bilbo Baggins, Thorin, Balin, Dwalin, Fili, Kili, Gloin, Oin, Dori, Nori, Ori, Bifur, Bofur, Bombur, William, Bert, Tom, Thror, Thrain
Deaths – William, Bert, Tom
Adapted from chapters ‘An Unexpected Party’ and ‘Roast Mutton’ from The Hobbit, ‘The Quest of Erebor’ in Unfinished Tales and Appendix B of Lord of the Rings.
- Once Upon a Time in Hobbiton – Dale Comte
- The Hall at Bag End, Residence of Bilbo Baggins Esquire – J.R.R. Tolkien
- An Unexpected Party – John Howe
- Left Comfort Behind – Suzy Almblad
- Trolls – Ted Nasmith
- The Three Trolls are Turned to Stone – J.R.R. Tolkien
Prologue – Dol Guldur (T.A. 2850)
- Gandalf enters Dol Guldur, where he finds Thrain in the dungeons
- Thrain gives Gandalf the map and key.
- Gandalf is discovered by Sauron, but escapes
- The company explores the troll cave. They bury a chest of treasure and take a number of weapons, including Glamdring, Orcrist and Sting.
- Gandalf leads the company to Rivendell.
- Elrond inspects Glamdring and Orcrist, as well as discovering the moon runes on Thror’s Map.
- Elrond talks with Gandalf about the Necromancer
- The company leaves Rivendell after resting.
- Stone Giants hurl rocks against the mountains. Thorin sends Fili and Kili to look for better shelter.
- Fili and Kili return and lead them to a better cave.
- Bilbo awakes from a nightmare to find goblins swarming into the cave from the back. They are taken into a tunnel, except for Gandalf.
- The dwarves are taken to the Great Goblin.
- The Great Goblin attempts to kill Thorin after finding Orcrist, but is killed by Gandalf.
- Gandalf leads them away from the hall. Dori is carrying Bilbo until he is grabbed by a Goblin, flung from Dori’s back and sent tumbling down the tunnels.
- Bilbo finds a metal ring and puts it in his pocket.
- Bilbo is surprised by the creature Gollum, who he fends off with his dagger.
- Gollum challenges Bilbo to a game of riddles. If Bilbo wins, he will be shown the way out.
- Bilbo wins the game of riddles, but Gollum leaves to retrieve his ring.
- Gollum finds The Ring gone.
- Gandalf leads the dwarves down the twisting tunnels to the exit.
- Gollum returns to Bilbo with intent to kill him. Bilbo runs back up the tunnel, slipping the Ring onto his finger.
- Gollum runs past Bilbo, who realises the Ring makes him invisible.
- Bilbo follows Gollum, who stops at the exit. Bilbo contemplates killing him, but seeing how pitiful Gollum is, decides against it.
- Armoured goblins guard the exit. Bilbo slips past them but his buttons catch in the door. The goblins see his shadow, but Bilbo tears loose.
First Appearances – Erestor, Gollum, Great Goblin, Bolg
Deaths -Great Goblin
Adapted from chapters ‘A Short Rest’, ‘Over Hill and Under Hill’ and ‘Riddles in the Dark’ from The Hobbit and Appendix B of Lord of the Rings.
- Weapon of the Enemy – Suzy Almblad
- Pass the Doors of Dol Guldor – John Howe
- Troll Fells – Jef Murray
- Out of Imladris – Jef Murray
- The Great Goblin – John Howe
- Riddles in the Dark – Michael Hague
- Riddles in the Dark – Ted Nasmith
Prologue – Bree
- Gandalf meets Thorin in Bree. Thorin invites him to his halls in the Blue Mountains.
- Gandalf and the dwarves argue about Bilbo’s whereabouts.
- Bilbo finds the dwarves and surprises them.
- Goblins and wargs chase them down the mountains, led by Bolg.
- The company climb trees to escape them.
- Gwaihir, Lord of Eagles, hears the wargs and swoops down to save the dwarves.
- The company is taken back to the Eyrie. From there Gwaihir takes them to the Carrock.
- Gandalf leads them on to Beorn’s house. He informs them he will be leaving soon.
- Gandalf devises a plan – he will enter first with Bilbo and the other dwarves will come in two at a time.
- Beorn welcomes Gandalf and is interested in his story. He is not impressed with the dwarves but allows them to stay.
- Thorin tells Bilbo of Bolg, the son of Azog who killed his grandfather Thror and in turn was killed by Thorin’s cousin Dain.
- Beorn serves dinner. As the dwarves sleep he leaves to kill the goblins that have come east.
- Beorn sends them to Mirkwood with ponies, food and weapons.
- Gandalf leaves them on the borders of Mirkwood.
- The company sets out along the path, becoming disoriented with the darkness, sounds and animals of the forest.
- They come to the Enchanted River. They manage to pull the boat from the other side and cross the river. Bombur falls in the river, causing him to sleep. They are forced to carry him.
- Bilbo climbs up a tree to find where they are.
- Balin sees a light in the distance, they follow it.
- They find a group of elves feasting. As they step into the light it goes out and the elves disappear.
- Bilbo loses his companions. As he sleeps he is attacked by a spider.
First Appearances – Azog (flashback), Dain, Beorn, Gwaihir, Landroval
Adapted from chapters ‘Out of the Frying Pan and Into the Fire’, ‘Queer Lodgings’ and ‘Flies and Spiders’ of The Hobbit and ‘The Quest of Erebor’ in Unfinished Tales.
- At Beorn’s Hall – Ted Nasmith
- Gandalf and Thorin at Bree – Ted Nasmith
- Out of the Frying Pan and Into the Fire – HeathWind
- Beorn – Michael Hague
- Dain and Azog – Liz Danforth
- Elvish Feast in Mirkwood – ullako
- Gandalf comes to Lothlorien, where he meets the White Council.
- Gandalf tells of Thrain and Sauron in Dol Guldor and urges an attack.
- The dwarves are tied up in webs. Bilbo kills a spider and puts on the Ring. He calls his dagger ‘Sting’.
- Bilbo lures the spiders away and frees the dwarves.
- They find that Thorin is missing. The spiders return and the dwarves manage to kill them.
- As they are looking for Thorin they are captured by wood-elves. Bilbo evades capture.
- Thorin had been captured earlier and was brought before Thranduil.
- Thorin refuses to tell of his quest and is locked up with the others.
- Bilbo finds the dwarves and relays messages between them.
- Bilbo steals the keys from Thranduil’s drunk butler and frees the dwarves.
- Bilbo gets the dwarves into barrels. The elves come and push the barrels into the river.
- Bilbo grabs onto a barrel and rides down the river until they get to the Long Lake.
- The raft-elves find the barrels and load them onto the raft, where Bard takes them back to Laketown.
First Appearances – Bard, Legolas (not named), Haldir, Galion
Adapted from chapters ‘Flies and Spiders’ and ‘Barrels out of Bond’ of The Hobbit and Appendix B of Lord of the Rings.
- Guards of Mirkwood – Henning Janssen
- The Spiders of Mirkwood – Ted Nasmith
- Blindfolded – Henning Janssen
- Barrels our of Bond – Francesco Amadio
- Raft-elves – David T. Wenzel
- The dwarves pop out of the barrels when they arrive at Laketown, dirty and exhausted.
- Bard takes them to meet the Master.
- The Master throws a feast for the dwarves. Thorin hailed as a hero.
- The day after the feast, the dwarves ready to leave for Erebor.
- Saruman agrees to an attack on Dol Guldor.
- The elves of Lothlorien ready for the attack.
- The dwarves walk through Dale and find the secret door.
- Bilbo finds the thrush and the sun shines upon the keyhole.
- Thorin sends Bilbo down to steal something.
- Bilbo sees Smaug and steals a cup, taking it back to Thorin.
- Smaug notices the cup is gone and bursts out of the mountain. He finds the ponies and eats them. Bombur has remained at the bottom of the mountain. They hurl him up with a rope and flee inside the door before Smaug scorches the side of the mountain.
- They send Bilbo back down to find the Arkenstone. Smaug smells him this time. Bilbo flatters Smaug until he can find the Arkenstone, at the same time seeing Smaug’s weak spot.
- Smaug deduces Bilbo is from Laketown and so flies off to destroy it.
First Appearances – Smaug, Master of Laketown, Girion (flashback)
Adapted from chapters ‘A Warm Welcome’, ‘On the Doorstep’ and ‘Inside Information’ in The Hobbit and Appendix B of Lord of the Rings.
- Conversation with Smaug – J.R.R. Tolkien
- Laketown – J.R.R. Tolkien
- Abusing Hospitality – Henning Janssen
- When the Thrush Knocks – Ted Nasmith
- Scouring the Mountain – Ted Nasmith
- Smaug the Destroyer – Ted Nasmith