- History of the Shire and Hobbits
- History of Erebor and Smaug
The Shire (Third Age Y. 2941)
- Gandalf introduces himself to Bilbo at Bag End.
- Bilbo declines Gandalf’s offer of adventure.
- The next night dwarves arrive in groups to Bilbo’s house for dinner.
- Gandalf arrives with the last dwarf, Thorin.
- Gandalf has volunteered Bilbo to be a burglar for Thorin’s quest – to take back Erebor.
- In the morning the dwarves are gone. Gandalf comes in and takes Bilbo to the dwarves. They set off.
- The company passes through Bree-land and Bilbo gets to know the dwarves.
- Gandalf educates Bilbo on the lands and peoples they pass.
- It begins to rain and Gandalf suddenly disappears.
- A fire is seen in the distance. Bilbo is sent to investigate.
- Bilbo is captured when he tries to take a money purse.
- The dwarves come in and are captured as well.
- As the trolls argue, another voice argues another point, which makes the trolls argue more. The sun comes out and turns them to stone. Gandalf reveals himself.
- Gandalf and Bilbo release the dwarves.
First Appearances – Bilbo Baggins, Thorin, Balin, Dwalin, Fili, Kili, Gloin, Oin, Dori, Nori, Ori, Bifur, Bofur, Bombur, William, Bert, Tom, Thror, Thrain
Deaths – William, Bert, Tom
Adapted from chapters ‘An Unexpected Party’ and ‘Roast Mutton’ from The Hobbit, ‘The Quest of Erebor’ in Unfinished Tales and Appendix B of Lord of the Rings.
- Once Upon a Time in Hobbiton – Dale Comte
- The Hall at Bag End, Residence of Bilbo Baggins Esquire – J.R.R. Tolkien
- An Unexpected Party – John Howe
- Left Comfort Behind – Suzy Almblad
- Trolls – Ted Nasmith
- The Three Trolls are Turned to Stone – J.R.R. Tolkien