- Merry and Pippin drive the last of the ruffians from the Shire.
- Sam plants the seed found in the box of Earth Galadriel found him.
- Over the next year, the Shire is rebuilt.
- Frodo falls ill in March, the anniversary of his poisoning.
- Merry and Pippin are hailed as heroes all over the Shire.
- Sam marries Rosie. They have a child, whom Frodo helps name Elanor.
- Galadriel and Gandalf come to Rivendell. With Elrond they decide it’s time to leave Middle-Earth.
- Elrond gives his sons their choice to go into the West or become mortal. They are undecided, but choose to stay for the time being.
- With Bilbo, Glorfindel and a few other Noldor, the keepers leave Rivendell for the last time.
- Frodo plans to go to Rivendell to see Bilbo. He gives Sam the keys to Bag End and the Red Book.
- They meet the keepers on the road.
The Grey Havens
- They pass the white towers Frodo dreamed of and come to the Grey Havens.
- Cirdan welcomes them at the gates. Gandalf is also there, with Merry and Pippin.
- Frodo reveals to Sam he is leaving Middle Earth with Bilbo. He says goodbye to his friends and leaves on the ship with the Ringbearers.
- Sam returns to Bag End, reuniting with Rosie and Elanor.
- Frodo sees the shores of Valinor, and the ship of Earendil.
- Frodo narrates the fates of the Fellowship.
- Sam becomes mayor and has thirteen children.
- Merry becomes Master of Buckland.
- Pippin becomes Thain.
- Aragorn reforms the Great Council, restores Orthanc and Ithilien, renews the Oath of Cirion and declares the Shire a free land.
- Aragorn stays in Annuminas and visits The Shire, he and Arwen have a son and several daughters.
- Gimli rebuilds the Gate of Minas Tirith.
- Legolas and Gimli visit the Glittering Caves and Ithilien. Gimli remains in Aglarond, becoming Lord of the Glittering Caves.
- Faramir and Eowyn wed. They rule Ithilien, with Beregond as Captain and Legolas helping to restore Ithilien to its former glory.
- The light of the elves diminish and the elven realms are eventually abandoned. Celeborn travels over the sea, taking with him the last memory of the Noldor.
- In old age, Eomer invites Merry and Pippin to Edoras. He dies and they move on to Gondor.
- Merry and Pippin die in Gondor. They are entombed beside Aragorn, after his death many years later.
- Arwen surrenders her life at Lothlorien.
- After Aragorn’s funeral, Legolas and Gimli sail down the Anduin.
- After Rosie’s death, Sam leaves the Red Book to Elanor.
The Grey Havens
- Sam sails over the sea.
- The boats of Legolas and Sam see the tower of Avallone and behold the white shores of Valinor, where old friends await.
- Sam reunites with Frodo.
First Appearances – Eldarion, Elanor
Deaths – Aragorn, Arwen, Eomer, Merry, Pippin, Rosie Cotton
Adapted from chapters ‘The Scouring of the Shire’ and ‘The Grey Havens’ and Appendices A and B of The Lord of the Rings.
- Departure at the Grey Havens – Ted Nasmith
- Hobbiton – Francesco Amadio
- Elves Leave Middle-earth – Araniart
- Grey Havens – Paul Lasaine
- Grey Havens – Francesco Amadio
- Sam and Rosie – Roger Garland
- Elessar – John Howe
- Aglarond – Glittering Caves – Iomehir
- Eowyn and Faramir – Matt Stewart
- Aragorn’s Tomb – Ben Curtis
- Legolas and Gimli Reach the Shores of Valinor – Ted Nasmith