- Glorfindel carries Frodo to Elrond, who begins to heal him.
- Aragorn and the hobbits are welcomed by Gandalf.
- Legolas, Gloin and Gimli, and Boromir arrive in Rivendell.
- Frodo awakens two days later to find Gandalf sitting nearby. Gandalf explains the Ringwraiths, Frodo’s wound and the flood at the Ford.
- Gandalf takes Frodo to the Hall of Fire, where he finds his friends. Among the guests he also finds Gloin and Bilbo. They talk of Erebor and Bilbo’s work, including A Elbereth Gilthoniel.
- Glorfindel explains to Frodo how he returned from death. He also tells of the Ringwraith that stabbed Frodo, the Witch-King, and the battles of Arnor and Angmar. He claims the Witch-King will not fall by the hand of man.
- Aragorn helps Bilbo with his poem and then talks to Arwen and Elrond. Elrond reasserts his condition for Aragorn and Arwen to marry: Aragorn must become King of Gondor and Arnor.
- The next day, Gandalf takes Bilbo and Frodo to the Council of Elrond.
- Elrond states the purpose of the Council and introduces Frodo and the Ring.
- Gloin tells of the messenger that came to Erebor and Legolas tells of Gollum’s escape.
- Elrond relates the history of the Ring. Afterwards Boromir tells of his dream. Aragorn reveals the shards of Narsil.
- Gandalf tells of Gollum and the treason of Saruman.
- The Council debates on what to do. Boromir suggest using the Ring for good, while Glorfindel suggests throwing it in the sea. Elrond declares it must be destroyed in Mount Doom.
- Bilbo, despite his age, volunteers to take the Ring. Gandalf says he cannot, and so Frodo volunteers instead.
- Sam bursts forth from hiding and says Frodo will not go alone.
First Appearances – Lindir, Galdor
Adapted from chapters ‘Many Meetings’ and ‘The Council of Elrond’ and Appendix A of The Lord of the Rings.
- The Council of Elrond – Peachdust
- A Pleasant Awakening – Carol Emery Phenix
- Battle of Fornost – Merlkir
- Hall of Fire – Stephen Hickman
- Lord of Rivendell – Peter Xavier Price
- The Council of Elrond – Alan Lee
- The hobbits talk in their room after the Council. Merry and Pippin are upset that Sam has been chosen to go and not they.
- Gandalf tells Frodo that he and Aragorn will accompany him.
- Elrond meets with the other members of the council. He asks for volunteers to help Frodo. Gimli, Legolas and Boromir volunteer.
- Glorfindel and his scouts return. He informs Elrond that there is no news of the Ringwraiths in any direction.
- The seven members of the company prepare to depart, yet Elrond wishes for two more to raise the number to nine, to match the black riders. He asks Glorfindel, but he and Gandalf say Merry and Pippin should go instead.
- Bilbo gives Frodo Sting and his mithril vest.
- Elladan and Elrohir reforge Narsil. Aragorn renames it Anduril and carries it with him.
- Frodo says goodbye to Bilbo and Aragorn to Arwen. The company leave Rivendell.
- Aragorn has a feeling they are being watched. Overhead, they see crebain. Gandalf fears they are spies of Saruman and so they hide. A dark shadow flies overhead.
- Gandalf decides not to pass near Isengard. Aragorn says they should cross over Caradhras, but Gandalf suggests going through Moria.
- The company attempt to pass over the mountain. A great storm attacks the mountain, which forces them to turn back.
- Boromir and Legolas argue over the way to go.
- At camp in the snow, they are attacked by wolves. The company drives them off, but they are forced to follow Gandalf to Moria, despite Aragorn and Boromir’s objections.
Adapted from chapters ‘The Ring Goes South’ and ‘A Journey in the Dark’ of The Lord of the Rings.
- The Fellowship Leaving Rivendell – Ted Nasmith
- Frodo and Bilbo – Anke Eissmann
- The Reforging of the Sword – Darrell Sweet
- The Fellowship of the Ring – Peter Xavier Price
- The Anger of the Mountain – Ted Nasmith
- Dances with Wolves – Catherine Chmiel
- Glorfindel comes to Elrond with Haldir of Lothlorien. Haldir brings news of the breaking of the Fellowship.
- Saruman sends his army out with the purpose of killing Theoden of Rohan’s son, Theodred.
Fords of Isen
- Theodred and his men are attacked. Theodred is slain.
- Frodo and Sam wander Emyn Muil, frequently becoming lost.
- They see the way down at the edge of a cliff, but cannot get down.
- As they try and climb down the cliff, a dark shape flies overhead and Frodo falls to a ledge below.
- Sam remembers his elven rope and they climb the rest of the way down.
- Sam pulls on the rope, which surprisingly unfastens and falls down.
- In the rain that night, Sam sees a creature crawling towards them. They see that it is Gollum, who jumps on Sam. Frodo subdues him with Sting. Gollum tries to escape but they capture him and bind him with the rope.
- Gollum vows obedience and leads them on towards Mordor.
- Gollum forces them to travel by night. He chokes on lembas bread and refuses to eat more.
- Sam waits until Gollum falls asleep before resting himself. When they wake they find Gollum gone.
- Gollum reappears later, with fish.
- They walk through the Marshes. Gollum says not to follow the lights.
- At night, a Ringwraith flies overhead.
- As they come closer to Mordor, Frodo hears Gollum talking to himself over his desire for the Ring and his vow to serve Frodo.
First Appearances – Theodred, Grimbold, Elfhelm, Dunhere
Death – Theodred
Adapted from chapters ‘The Taming of Smeagol’ and ‘The Passage of the Marshes’ of The Lord of the Rings and ‘The Battles of the Fords of Isen’ from Unfinished Tales.
- Through the Marshes – Ted Nasmith
- Orc Assault – Derek Zabrocki
- Dunhere – Jeff Himmelman
- No Way Down – Ted Nasmith
- The Taming of Smeagol – Alan Lee
- The Dead Marshes – Inger Edelfedlt
- Aragorn’s goodbye with Eowyn leads him to remember Arwen.
- Arwen speaks with Elrond about aiding Aragorn. Elrond replies there is nothing they can do.
- Halbarad and the Dunedain rangers come to Rivendell. Arwen asks them to give Aragorn her standard. Elrond requests they find and aid Aragorn. He sends Elladan and Elrohir with them, with a message to take the Paths of the Dead.
- Theoden rides south of Isen. They find many slain.
- Gandalf sees the uruk army from afar. He returns to talk with Theoden. He convinces Theoden to ride to Helm’s Deep and await him there.
- Gandalf leaves without reason.
- Theoden and the army arrive at Helm’s Deep
- Aragorn finds little provisions at Helm’s Deep. He prepares the men for battle quickly.
- Scouts report that the uruk army is heading towards the Hornburg. Aragorn, Eomer and Theoden discuss battle plans.
- As night falls, the army is seen on the horizon.
- Theoden commands Gamling to defend Helm’s Dike. They kill many orcs, but they are forced to retreat.
- Eomer arrays the men on the tower and deeping wall.
- The uruk-hai surge towards the wall. They fire arrows, but get no response until they are very close. The first volley of arrows and rocks from the men force the orcs to break rank.
- The biggest orcs form to try and break the gate. They are scattered by a sortie led by Aragorn, Eomer and Gimli.
- The men barricade the gate as the orcs raise ladders to climb the wall. Aragorn and Eomer push the weary men to keep fighting.
- A small party of orcs creep through the culvert and attack the men from behind. Gimli and the men push them back, barricading the culvert.
- The wall is breached by blasting fire and many orcs pour in to the deep.
- Eomer and Gimli lead men to combat the orcs, but they are overrun and retreat into the Glittering Caves.
- Theoden orders the men off the wall. Aragorn and Legolas lead them up the stair to the keep, Aragorn being nearly overcome by orcs.
- Hama is killed before the gate and his body hacked to pieces.
- Gimli beholds the glory of the Glittering Caves
- Aragorn and Theoden debate their next move. Aragorn attempts a parley but is shot at.
- The uruks use blasting fire to damage the gate, eventually destroying it.
- Theoden leads the remaining riders out of the gate into the invading uruks. They push the orcs out of the keep.
- As the orcs are distracted, Eomer and Gimli lead the men out of the Glittering Caves, forcing the orcs from the deep.
- As the orcs retreat past Helm’s Dike, Gandalf appears leading a thousand of Erkenbrand’s men. The orcs are gripped with fear and flee into a waiting forest of Huorns.
First Appearance – Gamling, Halbarad
Deaths – Hama, Ceorl
Adapted from chapters ‘The King of the Golden Hall’, ‘Helm’s Deep’ and ‘The Passing of the Grey Company’ of The Lord of the Rings.
- Helm’s Deep – Jeremy Bennett
- Elrond and Arwen – Soni Alcorn-Hender
- Legolas and Gimli – Anke Eissmann
- The Battle of Helm’s Deep – Toby Carr
- Helm’s Deep – John Howe
- The Battle at Helm’s Deep – Alan Lee
- The Charge of the Rohirrim at Helm’s Deep – John Howe
- Sauron sees Pippin in the Palantir. He questions about the Ring, but is cut off. He orders the Nazgul to make for Isengard.
Gap of Rohan
- Gandalf takes the Palantir and chastises Pippin.
- Gandalf explains the Palantir and how Saruman was corrupted by it.
- They debate their next move, with Gandalf noting that the confusion caused by Pippin could work to their advantage.
- Sam helps Frodo up the last part of the Winding Stair. Gollum shows where to go next: a dark tunnel.
- Despite the terrible smell and the possibility of orcs, Frodo and Sam enter.
- The hobbits can only move forward by feeling the walls. They call out for Gollum, but he has disappeared.
- Frodo and Sam continue on. Frodo begins to feel an overwhelming sense of dread.
- They hear scurrying and hissing around them. They feel dead bodies beneath their feet. Frodo raises the Phial of Galadriel.
- The light illuminates hundreds of eyes. As they move closer, they are revealed to belong to a giant spider, Shelob.
- Frodo walks towards the eyes, which retreat from the light.
- Frodo and Sam flee, but are blocked by strong cobwebs. Frodo cuts them with Sting and they head for the exit.
- Sam sees orcs ahead and tries to warn Frodo. Shelob attacks, cutting off Sam. Sam goes to save Frodo but is dragged away by Gollum.
- Shelob attacks Frodo, who fights but is poisoned and falls unconscious.
- Sam fights against Gollum. He threatens to stab him and Gollum flees.
- Sam attacks Shelob, who is over Frodo’s body. He sees Frodo, seemingly dead, wrapped in web.
- Sam struggles with the spider, stabbing it in the eye. Shelob overpowers him, but Sam stabs her in the belly. Shelob flees.
- Sam checks Frodo’s heartbeat, but finds nothing.
- Sam thinks Frodo is dead and takes the Ring. He hears orc voices coming.
Gap of Rohan
- A Nazgul flies over the group, forcing them to hide.
- Gandalf predicts that Sauron will move to attack Minas Tirith. He advises Theoden and Aragorn to ride to Gondor. He gives Aragorn the Palantir.
- Gandalf takes Pippin with him and leaves on Shadowfax.
- An army again approaches Lothlorien. Galadriel says unless Sauron is defeated they will eventually be overrun.
- Eowyn receives word that the men were victorious, yet the riders say Theoden may yet ride to Gondor. Eowyn prepares for them to leave for Dunharrow.
- Elrond and Glorfindel talk about the fate of Middle-Earth. Elrond decides to prepare his elves to leave for the Grey Havens.
- Sam puts on the Ring. The orcs take Frodo. Sam overhears them talking about Shelob’s poison and how it paralyses, not kills.
- Sam follows the orcs into Mordor.
- The Witch-King’s army moves towards Osgiliath, where Faramir awaits.
First Appearances – Shelob, Gorbag, Shagrat
Death – Shelob
Adapted from chapters ‘The Palantir’, ‘Shelob’s Lair’ and ‘The Choices of Master Samwise’ and Appendix B of The Lord of the Rings
- Shelob – John Howe
- Sauron Speaks With Palantir – Hive17
- Shelob’s Lair – Rob Alexander
- Shelob About to Leap on Frodo – John Howe
- Sam and Shelob – John Howe
- Shelob’s Retreat – Ted Nasmith
- The Choices of Master Samwise – Turner Mohan
- Gandalf on Shadowfax Before Minas Tirith – Luca Michelucci
- Council of War – MelorianJ
- Sam Enters Mordor Alone – Ted Nasmith
- Shagrat comes to the Tower. He shows Sauron the mithril vest. Sauron kills him.
- Sauron commands the Ringwraiths to move forward their armies in the north.
- Sam and Frodo scurry away from Cirith Ungol. The Nazgul return from the battle to Barad-Dur. Frodo and Sam run and hide.
- Under a bridge, they hear an orc company pass above them. They slide down a cliff into a tangle of thorns.
- Frodo struggles to walk. He takes his orc-mail off. They see the west wind blow away some of the black cloud overhead.
- They find a stream, the first water they have had in days.
- Frodo falls asleep and Sam keeps watch. He looks over Mordor and sees in the sky a white star. He falls asleep as well.
- With his elves departing, Elrond and Arwen receive news from Glorfindel of the victory in Gondor and battles in Dale, Mirkwood and Lothlorien.
- King Brand retreats to Erebor. Dain leads the dwarves out to fight. Brand is mortally wounded. Dain defends his body, but is wounded himself. They retreat inside the mountain.
- The Woodland Realm is set alight. Thranduil rides out and repels the attackers.
- Celeborn drives back the third assault. Galadriel says they must destroy Dol Guldur.
- Theoden is carried through the city. Pippin finds Merry.
- Beregond brings Faramir to the Houses of Healing. Eowyn and Merry are also brought there.
- Aragorn waits outside of the city for Denethor to allow him to enter. Imrahil tells him of Denethor’s fate. Aragorn appoints Imrahil as acting leader.
- Gandalf meets Aragorn. He asks for aid in the Houses. He tells Eomer that Eowyn lives.
- Aragorn asks for kingsfoil. Ioreth sends Bergil to fetch some.
- Aragorn heals Faramir, Eowyn and Merry, who awake and speak with him.
- People gather to see Aragorn. They ask for his help in healing. He and the sons of Elrond work through the night.
- Frodo and Sam see the vast armies of Mordor. They have no choice but to walk through.
- They overhear two orcs talk of a great elven warrior on the loose.
- Sam thinks he sees Gollum spying them.
- A battalion of orcs come up behind them. They hide but are spotted and forced into line.
- Frodo stumbles. As he does, another orc company crashes into them. Scuffles break out and Sam drags Frodo out of the lines and into a pit.
- Thranduil and Celeborn meet in Mirkwood, planning to attack Dol Guldur
First Appearances – Ioreth, Brand, Bard II, Thorin III Stonehelm
Deaths – Shagrat. Brand, Dain
Adapted from chapters ‘The Houses of Healing’ and ‘The Land of Shadow’ and Appendix B of The Lord of the Rings and ‘The Quest for Erebor’ of Unfinished Tales
- Mordor – Dario Coelho
- Barad-Dur – Alan Lee
- Stench of Mordor – John Howe
- Sam’s Revelation – Ted Nasmith
- Dale Units vs Rhun – Jan Pospisil
- Athelas – Anke Eissmann
- Mount Doom – John Howe
- Gwaihir bears Gandalf over Mordor to Mount Doom.
- Bard II and Thorin Stonehelm drive the enemy from Dale.
- Celeborn and Thranduil destroy Dol Guldur. Galadriel purifies the fortress.
- All over Middle Earth, the enemy flees.
- Sam and Frodo awaken to find Gandalf. They are taken outside where the whole Army of the West celebrates their deeds.
- They are reunited with Pippin, Merry, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli.
- Elrond receives word of Sauron’s defeat. He gives leave for Arwen to marry Aragorn.
- Faramir and Eowyn speak of their dreams, a wave climbing over green lands. As they do so, the shadows depart and the sun is unveiled.
- Faramir shows Eowyn the beauty of healing and of the gardens. He offers her his love.
- The Army of the West return to the city. Faramir gives Aragorn the keys and the crown of Earnur.
- Gandalf crowns Aragorn King of Gondor and Arnor.
- Aragorn enters Minas Tirith and sits on his throne.
- Aragorn pardons the Easterlings and the Haradrim. He pardons Beregond from death, but banishes him from Minas Tirith, setting him to instead be captain of the White Company in Ithilien.
- Eowyn speaks with Aragorn. Afterwards, she agrees to marry Faramir.
- Elladan and Elrohir meet the escort of Arwen, including Elrond, Glorfindel, Galadriel and Celeborn.
- Gandalf takes Aragorn high into the mountains. They look across his realm and find a sapling of the White Tree.
- Weeks later, Aragorn and Arwen are wed.
- The Fellowship and their friends leave Minas Tirith.
- King Theoden is laid to rest. Faramir and Eowyn are betrothed.
- Arwen speaks to Frodo of her place on the ships into the west.
- Elrond and Arwen go into the hills where they say their final goodbyes.
- Treebeard reveals he has released Saruman.
- Legolas and Gimli leave the Fellowship, travelling through Fangorn.
- Aragorn says farewell. He watches the Fellowship go north, the green fire of the Elfstone in his hand.
- They come across Saruman and offer him mercy. He declines.
- The company reaches Rivendell. Frodo reunites with Bilbo
Adapted from chapters ‘The Field of Cormallen’, ‘The Steward and the King’ and ‘Many Partings’ and Appendices A and B of The Lord of the Rings.
- The Steward and the King – Anke Eissmann
- The Field of Cormallen – Tolman Cotton
- The Sun Unveiled – Ted Nasmith
- The Crowning of Elessar – Francesco Amadio
- The Judgement on Beregond – Maureval
- Elessar and Mithrandir – Peter Xavier Price
- King and His Queen – Janka Lateckova
- Arwen’s Gift – Anke Eissmann
- Journey Home – Anna Lee
- Saruman is Overtaken – Ted Nasmith