- The hobbits talk in their room after the Council. Merry and Pippin are upset that Sam has been chosen to go and not they.
- Gandalf tells Frodo that he and Aragorn will accompany him.
- Elrond meets with the other members of the council. He asks for volunteers to help Frodo. Gimli, Legolas and Boromir volunteer.
- Glorfindel and his scouts return. He informs Elrond that there is no news of the Ringwraiths in any direction.
- The seven members of the company prepare to depart, yet Elrond wishes for two more to raise the number to nine, to match the black riders. He asks Glorfindel, but he and Gandalf say Merry and Pippin should go instead.
- Bilbo gives Frodo Sting and his mithril vest.
- Elladan and Elrohir reforge Narsil. Aragorn renames it Anduril and carries it with him.
- Frodo says goodbye to Bilbo and Aragorn to Arwen. The company leave Rivendell.
- Aragorn has a feeling they are being watched. Overhead, they see crebain. Gandalf fears they are spies of Saruman and so they hide. A dark shadow flies overhead.
- Gandalf decides not to pass near Isengard. Aragorn says they should cross over Caradhras, but Gandalf suggests going through Moria.
- The company attempt to pass over the mountain. A great storm attacks the mountain, which forces them to turn back.
- Boromir and Legolas argue over the way to go.
- At camp in the snow, they are attacked by wolves. The company drives them off, but they are forced to follow Gandalf to Moria, despite Aragorn and Boromir’s objections.
Adapted from chapters ‘The Ring Goes South’ and ‘A Journey in the Dark’ of The Lord of the Rings.
- The Fellowship Leaving Rivendell – Ted Nasmith
- Frodo and Bilbo – Anke Eissmann
- The Reforging of the Sword – Darrell Sweet
- The Fellowship of the Ring – Peter Xavier Price
- The Anger of the Mountain – Ted Nasmith
- Dances with Wolves – Catherine Chmiel