- An orc pack attacks Thranduil’s Realm. Gollum escapes.
- Thranduil sends Legolas to Rivendell with news of the escape.
- Black riders destroy the hobbits’ room.
- Sam finds the ponies missing. They buy a malnourished pony from Bill Ferny.
- Aragorn leads the hobbits away from Bree, with the town watching.
- Aragorn strays from the road and takes the hobbits through the marshes.
- Gandalf comes to Bree. He berates Barliman for not sending the letter on. He leaves again.
- Gandalf rides to Weathertop. He sees no sign of the hobbits, but is ambushed by the black riders.
- Frodo sees bright lightning and flashes of light in the distance. Aragorn says it appears to be coming from Weathertop.
- The next day Aragorn and the hobbits arrive at Weathertop. They find a camp and runes on the top, leading them to suspect Gandalf was there.
- They camp on the side of the hill, where Aragorn tells stories of Luthien.
- Black riders invade the clearing. Frodo puts on the Ring and gets stabbed in the shoulder. Aragorn drives off the Ringwraiths with fire.
- Aragorn tries to heal the wound with athelas. He leads the hobbits away from Weathertop.
- Aragorn finds an elfstone in the road. They come upon the stone trolls.
Ford of Bruinen
- Hearing hooves, they hide. The rider is Glorfindel, of Gondolin. He puts Frodo on his horse and leads them on.
- Hearing black riders behind them, Glorfindel calls his horse to carry Frodo across the Ford. At the Ford, Frodo turns back and defies the Ringwraiths. Glorfindel comes up behind them and they begin to cross the river. A rush of water engulfs them.
- Frodo falls unconscious.
First Appearance – Bill Ferny
Adapted from chapters ‘A Knife in the Dark’, ‘Flight to the Ford’ and ‘The Council of Elrond’ of The Lord of the Rings.
- Black Rider – John Howe
- Gollum Flees the Mirkwood Elves – John Howe
- Fire on Weathertop – Ted Nasmith
- Midgewater Marshes – Anna Kulisz
- Against the Shadow – John Howe
- Glorfindel – Liga Klavina
- Flight to the Ford – John Howe
- Glorfindel carries Frodo to Elrond, who begins to heal him.
- Aragorn and the hobbits are welcomed by Gandalf.
- Legolas, Gloin and Gimli, and Boromir arrive in Rivendell.
- Frodo awakens two days later to find Gandalf sitting nearby. Gandalf explains the Ringwraiths, Frodo’s wound and the flood at the Ford.
- Gandalf takes Frodo to the Hall of Fire, where he finds his friends. Among the guests he also finds Gloin and Bilbo. They talk of Erebor and Bilbo’s work, including A Elbereth Gilthoniel.
- Glorfindel explains to Frodo how he returned from death. He also tells of the Ringwraith that stabbed Frodo, the Witch-King, and the battles of Arnor and Angmar. He claims the Witch-King will not fall by the hand of man.
- Aragorn helps Bilbo with his poem and then talks to Arwen and Elrond. Elrond reasserts his condition for Aragorn and Arwen to marry: Aragorn must become King of Gondor and Arnor.
- The next day, Gandalf takes Bilbo and Frodo to the Council of Elrond.
- Elrond states the purpose of the Council and introduces Frodo and the Ring.
- Gloin tells of the messenger that came to Erebor and Legolas tells of Gollum’s escape.
- Elrond relates the history of the Ring. Afterwards Boromir tells of his dream. Aragorn reveals the shards of Narsil.
- Gandalf tells of Gollum and the treason of Saruman.
- The Council debates on what to do. Boromir suggest using the Ring for good, while Glorfindel suggests throwing it in the sea. Elrond declares it must be destroyed in Mount Doom.
- Bilbo, despite his age, volunteers to take the Ring. Gandalf says he cannot, and so Frodo volunteers instead.
- Sam bursts forth from hiding and says Frodo will not go alone.
First Appearances – Lindir, Galdor
Adapted from chapters ‘Many Meetings’ and ‘The Council of Elrond’ and Appendix A of The Lord of the Rings.
- The Council of Elrond – Peachdust
- A Pleasant Awakening – Carol Emery Phenix
- Battle of Fornost – Merlkir
- Hall of Fire – Stephen Hickman
- Lord of Rivendell – Peter Xavier Price
- The Council of Elrond – Alan Lee
- The hobbits talk in their room after the Council. Merry and Pippin are upset that Sam has been chosen to go and not they.
- Gandalf tells Frodo that he and Aragorn will accompany him.
- Elrond meets with the other members of the council. He asks for volunteers to help Frodo. Gimli, Legolas and Boromir volunteer.
- Glorfindel and his scouts return. He informs Elrond that there is no news of the Ringwraiths in any direction.
- The seven members of the company prepare to depart, yet Elrond wishes for two more to raise the number to nine, to match the black riders. He asks Glorfindel, but he and Gandalf say Merry and Pippin should go instead.
- Bilbo gives Frodo Sting and his mithril vest.
- Elladan and Elrohir reforge Narsil. Aragorn renames it Anduril and carries it with him.
- Frodo says goodbye to Bilbo and Aragorn to Arwen. The company leave Rivendell.
- Aragorn has a feeling they are being watched. Overhead, they see crebain. Gandalf fears they are spies of Saruman and so they hide. A dark shadow flies overhead.
- Gandalf decides not to pass near Isengard. Aragorn says they should cross over Caradhras, but Gandalf suggests going through Moria.
- The company attempt to pass over the mountain. A great storm attacks the mountain, which forces them to turn back.
- Boromir and Legolas argue over the way to go.
- At camp in the snow, they are attacked by wolves. The company drives them off, but they are forced to follow Gandalf to Moria, despite Aragorn and Boromir’s objections.
Adapted from chapters ‘The Ring Goes South’ and ‘A Journey in the Dark’ of The Lord of the Rings.
- The Fellowship Leaving Rivendell – Ted Nasmith
- Frodo and Bilbo – Anke Eissmann
- The Reforging of the Sword – Darrell Sweet
- The Fellowship of the Ring – Peter Xavier Price
- The Anger of the Mountain – Ted Nasmith
- Dances with Wolves – Catherine Chmiel
- Gollum comes across the company. He begins to follow them.
- Gandalf leads them to the West-gate of Moria, where they are forced to let Bill the Pony go.
- Gandalf has trouble opening the door, but he eventually remembers the password with help from Merry.
- The Watcher in the Water attacks Frodo and pulls him into the water. Aragorn and Boromir save him, but as they escape into the mines the Watcher collapses the door behind them.
- Gandalf leads them through the many passages of Moria. Frodo thinks he hears footsteps behind him.
- Gimli tells the others of the many wonders of Moria.
- They come to three passages, which stumps Gandalf.
- Pippin throws a rock down a well, angering Gandalf.
- Gandalf chooses a passage, which turns out to be the right one when they find a great underground hall.
- They find the Chamber of Mazarbul and Gimli mourns beside the tomb of Balin.
- Gandalf reads from the Book of Mazarbul, written by Ori. It tells of Balin and his colony being destroyed by orcs. (flashback)
- They hear the booming of a drum in the deep, and the scurrying of feet. They bar the chamber and are attacked by orcs and a cave troll. Frodo stabs the troll’s foot and it withdraws, but an orc chieftain breaks through and stabs Frodo.
- Aragorn kills the chieftain and the rest of the orcs are driven off.
- Gandalf remains behind to seal the door. Legolas is forced to drag Gimli away from Balin’s Tomb.
- Gandalf is forced to flee, having met his match. They continue on down stairways, fired upon by orc archers.
- The orcs chase them to the Bridge of Khazad-Dum, the balrog coming upon them. Gimli leads them across the bridge while Gandalf holds it.
- Gandalf reflects the balrog’s attacks and breaks the bridge in two, causing the balrog to fall into the abyss. The balrog grabs Gandalf with its whip and Gandalf falls down with it.
- The company flees Moria.
- They stumble on away from the walls before collapsing.
Deaths – Gandalf, Balin (flashback), Ori (flashback), Oin (flashback)
Adapted from chapters ‘A Journey in the Dark’ and ‘The Bridge of Khazad-Dum’ of The Lord of the Rings.
- Mines of Moria – CG Warrior
- The Gates of Moria – Alan Lee
- The Watcher in the Water – Joona Kujanen
- The Halls of Durin – Alan Lee
- Balin’s Tomb – Anke Eissmann
- The Bridge of Khazad-Dum – Paul Monteagle
- The Balrog – Ted Nasmith
- The Bridge of Khazad-Dum – John Howe
- Moria – John Howe
- Frodo dreams of Gandalf in the abyss, surrounded by darkness and nameless monsters.
- Gimli takes Frodo to look into the waters of the Mirrormere.
- Aragorn examines Sam and Frodo’s wounds, finding Frodo’s mithril coat.
- Aragorn leads them to Lothlorien, though Boromir is wary.
- Legolas tells the history of Lorien. Gimli is angered at the suggestion that the dwarves’ actions had threatened the surrounding lands.
- As the company enters the woods, they are stopped by Haldir.
- Haldir takes them up into their tree platforms. Soon after, orcs pass underneath.
- Haldir’s men kill the orcs. Frodo sees Gollum for a brief moment.
- Haldir takes them to Caras Galadhon. He forces Gimli to be blindfolded. When Gimli objects, Aragorn says they will all be blindfolded.
- Haldir removes their blindfolds. He takes Frodo and Sam up to a high platform overlooking the beauty of the forest.
- The company meet with Galadriel and Celeborn. Aragorn tells them of Gandalf’s demise. Celeborn blames the dwarves, but Galadriel says it is not their fault.
- Galadriel searches the hearts of the Fellowship.
- Aragorn daydreams about his time with Arwen in the forest. He also remembers his last meeting with his mother, Gilraen.
- The Fellowship, and the Lorien elves, grieve for Gandalf. Frodo writes a song in his memory.
- Galadriel soothes Gimli’s sorrows, using Khuzdul. Gimli attempts to compliment her, clumsily.
- Legolas and Gimli walk together in the woods, finding friendship instead of hate.
- Galadriel takes Frodo to the middle of her garden, Sam follows. She fills a basin there with water and bids Frodo to look. Sam looks first and sees the Shire destroyed. Frodo sees an old white man, ships, a white tower and a great eye.
- Galadriel tells them it is what may come to pass. She shows Frodo her ring. Frodo offers her the Ring, but after a dark vision she refuses.
- Aragorn tells the others they must continue. Boromir wants to go to Minas Tirith, not to destroy the Ring. Frodo does not wish to.
- Galadriel gives them all gifts. The Elfstone to Aragorn, the Phial to Frodo, belts and daggers to Boromir, Merry and Pippin, a box of earth to Sam, a bow to Legolas and three of her golden hairs to Gimli.
- Celeborn offers each of them to stay in Lorien, but they all choose to follow Frodo. He gives them lembas bread, rope and elven cloaks.
- In boats, they leave Lorien down the river Anduin.
- Saruman sends out Ugluk and the Uruk-Hai to track the Fellowship.
First Appearance – Ugluk
Adapted from Chapters ‘Lothlorien’, ‘The Mirror of Galadriel’ and ‘Farewell to Lorien’ of The Lord of the Rings.
- Farewell to Lothlorien – Alexandra V Bach
- Durin’s Stone – Matej Cadil
- Crossing Nimrodel – Anke Eissmann
- Frodo and Haldir in Lothlorien – Ted Nasmith
- First Meeting of Aragorn and Arwen – Anke Eissmann
- Mirror of Galadriel – Alan Lee
- Galadriel – Thomas Rouillard
- The Phial of Galadriel
- Frodo dreams of Gandalf and the balrog atop an endless stair, a frozen mountain peak.
- Boromir starts to stare at Frodo often.
- Sam and Frodo notice Gollum following in a log.
- At night, Gollum comes up to the boats. Frodo draws his sword, but then Aragorn attempts to catch him, scaring him off.
- The company come upon the rapids of Sarn Gebir. Orcs fire arrows from the eastern shore and a great, winged shape rises. Legolas takes it down with his bow.
- Boromir now argues to head for Minas Tirith, but Aragorn refuses.
- They pass the Argonath.
- Before the Falls of Rauros, they beach the boats near Amon Hen.
- Aragorn asks Frodo to decide their next course. Frodo wanders off to think.
- Boromir follows Frodo. He tries to convince Frodo to take the Ring to Gondor. When Frodo disagrees, Boromir tries to take the Ring. Frodo puts the Ring on and disappears. Boromir then regains his wits, weeping at his actions.
- Frodo runs to the top of Amon Hen, where he sees Barad-Dur and Sauron’s eye searching for him. He takes the Ring off, before deciding he must go to Mordor alone.
- Aragorn and the others debate their next move, before worrying about Frodo. Boromir comes back to the camp, revealing he scared Frodo away.
- Sam runs off with Aragorn going after him, sending Boromir to look after Merry and Pippin, who have also run off. Legolas and Gimli also go to search for Frodo.
- Aragorn stops Sam, saying there is danger near. He goes to the top of Amon Hen. Sam however, heads back to the boats.
- Aragorn comes across Saruman’s host of orcs. Legolas, Gimli, Merry and Pippin are also ambushed.
- Boromir comes to the aid of Merry and Pippin.
- Frodo, still invisible, escapes the orcs.
- Boromir sounds his horn. Legolas and Gimli come to Aragorn’s aid. They run to help Boromir.
- Boromir is pierced by arrows, but remains standing. He tries to save Merry and Pippin from being taken, but he falls at last.
- Aragorn comes across Boromir dying. Boromir admits he tried to take the Ring.
- Frodo reaches the boats. He begins to cross the river but Sam chases after him. As Sam struggles in the river, Frodo drags him on to the boat. They leave for Mordor together.
- Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli place Boromir’s body in a boat and send it down the falls. Instead of going after Frodo, they choose to chase after the orcs that took Merry and Pippin.
Death – Boromir
Adapted from chapters ‘The Great River’, ‘The Breaking of the Fellowship’ and ‘The Departure of Boromir’ of The Lord of the Rings.
- The Horn of Boromir – Matt Stewart
- Zirak-Zigil – John Howe
- Nightwatch – Anke Eissmann
- The Argonath – Ted Nasmith
- Frodo and Boromir – Anke Eissmann
- Parth Galen – Catherine Chmiel
- Boromir – John Howe
- The Departure of Boromir – Anke Eissmann
- The Witch-King reports back to Sauron about Aragorn, Isildur’s heir. Sauron is noticeably concerned. He commands the Witch-King to find Frodo and prepare the army to attack Gondor, Rohan and the North.
- Scouts report to Eomer of the orc band coming down from Emyn Muil.
- Eomer seeks permission to hunt the orcs down. Grima and Theoden forbid it.
- Eomer talks to Eowyn about Grima’s treachery before heading out to hunt the orcs late at night.
Plains of Rohan
- Merry and Pippin lie captive. Pippin listens to the orcs, realising there are two groups arguing. The orcs fight, killing several of their own.
- Pippin cuts his bonds, tying them loosely around his wrists. The hobbits are picked up again and carried on.
- Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli come across the slain orcs. They continue on.
- Pippin breaks free, but is caught. Before he is caught he places a broach in the road. Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli come across this soon after.
Borders of Fangorn
- Grishnakh searches the hobbits for the Ring.
- Merry, imitating Gollum, leads Grishnakh to believe they have the Ring. He tries to escape with them.
- Eomer and his riders come upon the orcs. They kill all of them, including Grishnakh. Eomer personally kills Ugluk.
- Merry and Pippin run into Fangorn forest.
Plains of Rohan
- Aragorn comes across Eomer the morning after. Eomer tells of the slaughter of the orcs, having seen no hobbits. They lend Aragorn two horses.
Borders of Fangorn
- Aragorn finds the slaughtered orcs and the graves of 12 Rohirrim soldiers, but no sign of Merry and Pippin.
- Gimli sees an old man in the forest, who vanishes along with their horses.
- Aragorn finds cut rope, a Lorien leaf and hobbit prints. They follow the prints deeper into the forest.
- Grimbold and Elfhelm come to Edoras with Theodred’s body.
First Appearances – Grishnakh, Snaga, Theoden, Eomer, Eowyn, Grima Wormtongue, Eothain, Fastred
Deaths – Ugluk, Grishnakh, Snaga
Adapted from chapters ‘The Riders of Rohan’, ‘The Uruk-Hai’
- The Riders of Rohan – Turner Mohan
- Sauron and the Witch-King – Angel Falto
- Grima Wormtongue – John Howe
- Orc Hunting 2 – Alan Lee
- Orc Hunting – Alan Lee
- The Elven Brooch – Anke Eissmann
- Rohirrim Attack – Jan Pospisil
- Aragorn Meets the Rohirrim – Venlian
- Searching for Merry and Pippin – Anke Eissmann