- Gollum comes across the company. He begins to follow them.
- Gandalf leads them to the West-gate of Moria, where they are forced to let Bill the Pony go.
- Gandalf has trouble opening the door, but he eventually remembers the password with help from Merry.
- The Watcher in the Water attacks Frodo and pulls him into the water. Aragorn and Boromir save him, but as they escape into the mines the Watcher collapses the door behind them.
- Gandalf leads them through the many passages of Moria. Frodo thinks he hears footsteps behind him.
- Gimli tells the others of the many wonders of Moria.
- They come to three passages, which stumps Gandalf.
- Pippin throws a rock down a well, angering Gandalf.
- Gandalf chooses a passage, which turns out to be the right one when they find a great underground hall.
- They find the Chamber of Mazarbul and Gimli mourns beside the tomb of Balin.
- Gandalf reads from the Book of Mazarbul, written by Ori. It tells of Balin and his colony being destroyed by orcs. (flashback)
- They hear the booming of a drum in the deep, and the scurrying of feet. They bar the chamber and are attacked by orcs and a cave troll. Frodo stabs the troll’s foot and it withdraws, but an orc chieftain breaks through and stabs Frodo.
- Aragorn kills the chieftain and the rest of the orcs are driven off.
- Gandalf remains behind to seal the door. Legolas is forced to drag Gimli away from Balin’s Tomb.
- Gandalf is forced to flee, having met his match. They continue on down stairways, fired upon by orc archers.
- The orcs chase them to the Bridge of Khazad-Dum, the balrog coming upon them. Gimli leads them across the bridge while Gandalf holds it.
- Gandalf reflects the balrog’s attacks and breaks the bridge in two, causing the balrog to fall into the abyss. The balrog grabs Gandalf with its whip and Gandalf falls down with it.
- The company flees Moria.
- They stumble on away from the walls before collapsing.
Deaths – Gandalf, Balin (flashback), Ori (flashback), Oin (flashback)
Adapted from chapters ‘A Journey in the Dark’ and ‘The Bridge of Khazad-Dum’ of The Lord of the Rings.
- Mines of Moria – CG Warrior
- The Gates of Moria – Alan Lee
- The Watcher in the Water – Joona Kujanen
- The Halls of Durin – Alan Lee
- Balin’s Tomb – Anke Eissmann
- The Bridge of Khazad-Dum – Paul Monteagle
- The Balrog – Ted Nasmith
- The Bridge of Khazad-Dum – John Howe
- Moria – John Howe