Prologue – Rivendell
- The White Council meets to discuss the Rings of Power.
- Saruman declares the Ring lost in the Belegaer.
- Gaffer Gamgee and a few hobbits discuss Bilbo at the Green Dragon.
- Bilbo continues to write the Red Book.
- Bilbo and Frodo send out invitations to his 111th birthday party.
- Bilbo and Frodo, along with Sam, Merry, Pippin, Fatty, Gaffer and several other hobbits prepare for the party.
- Gandalf arrives and talks with Bilbo.
- Gandalf shows off his fireworks at the party.
- Bilbo gives a speech. At the end of the speech he puts on the Ring and disappears.
- After arguing with Gandalf, Bilbo leaves the Ring behind and leaves.
- Frodo arrives back at Bag End. Gandalf gives him the Ring.
- The next day Gandalf says he must leave immediately. He tells Frodo not to wear the Ring.
- Saruman looks in the Palantir towards Mordor, finding Sauron.
- Easterlings come to Mordor.
- Sauron sends out servants to find the One Ring.
- The Nazgul capture Gollum.
- Gandalf finds and read a scroll written by Isildur about the One Ring.
- A messenger comes to Erebor to speak with Dain. They mention Bilbo and the Ring.
- Dain sends Gloin, Gimli and a few others to Rivendell to warn Bilbo.
First Appearances – Frodo Baggins, Sam Gamgee, Merry Brandybuck, Pippin Took, Fatty Bolger, Odo Proudfoot, Lotho Sackville-Baggins, Robin Smallburrow, Rosie Cotton, Gimli
Adapted from chapters ‘A Long-expected Party’, ‘The Shadow of the Past’, ‘The Council of Elrond’ and Appendix B of The Lord of the Rings.
- Bilbo’s Eleventy First Birthday Party – Paul Raymond Gregory
- The Shire – Roger Garland
- Gandalf Returns to Hobbiton – John Howe
- Bilbo’s Speech – Francesco Amadio
- Saruman and the Palantir – Anna Kulisz
- Nazgul – cblair
- Thranduil and an unnamed ranger lead Gandalf to a prison cell, containing Gollum.
- Gollum tells Gandalf that he had been tortured by Sauron, telling him the words ‘shire’ and ‘Baggins’.
- Gandalf realises Bilbo’s ring is the One Ring and leaves for the Shire.
- At the Green Dragon, rumours abound of evil spreading throughout the south.
- Gandalf arrives at Bag End. He takes the Ring from Frodo and throws it in the fire. The runes that appear confirm that it’s the One Ring.
- Gandalf explains the history of the Ring to Frodo.
- Frodo realises he must take the Ring somewhere else. Gandalf recommends reliable companions, soon after catching Sam Gamgee eavesdropping at the window.
- Gandalf leaves to meet with Saruman, telling Frodo to meet him at Bree.
- Frodo holds a small gathering for his birthday, telling his friends he well be moving to Buckland.
- The next day, Frodo sends Merry and Fatty to Buckland with his luggage.
- As Frodo leaves with Sam and Pippin, he hears a strange voice talking to the Gaffer, asking for Mr Baggins.
- The three set out towards Buckland.
- On the road, they hear hooves. Frodo urges them to hide. A black rider appears, stopping where they are hiding, before riding off again.
- As night falls they come across another black rider, who comes towards Frodo. It rides off once it hears the singing of elves.
- The elves come across Frodo. Their leader, Gildor, explain the black riders as servants of the enemy.
- They hear hooves in the distance, but it turns out to be Merry.
- Gandalf comes upon Radagast, who tells him Sauron has sent the Nazgul out. Gandalf has Radagast send a note to Bree.
- Gandalf comes to Isengard.
First Appearances – Aragorn (unnamed), Gildor
Adapted from chapters ‘The Shadow of the Past’, ‘Three is Company’, ‘The Council of Elrond’ and Appendix B from Lord of the Rings and ‘The Hunt for the Ring’ in Unfinished Tales.
- Green Hill Country – Ted Nasmith
- Gollum Held Captive by the Elves – Inger Edelfeldt
- Bag End – Shadow of the Past – Donato Giancola
- Black Riders in The Shire – John Howe
- Last Sight of Hobbiton – Ted Nasmith
- Frodo Meets Gildor – Alan Lee
- An orc pack attacks Thranduil’s Realm. Gollum escapes.
- Thranduil sends Legolas to Rivendell with news of the escape.
- Black riders destroy the hobbits’ room.
- Sam finds the ponies missing. They buy a malnourished pony from Bill Ferny.
- Aragorn leads the hobbits away from Bree, with the town watching.
- Aragorn strays from the road and takes the hobbits through the marshes.
- Gandalf comes to Bree. He berates Barliman for not sending the letter on. He leaves again.
- Gandalf rides to Weathertop. He sees no sign of the hobbits, but is ambushed by the black riders.
- Frodo sees bright lightning and flashes of light in the distance. Aragorn says it appears to be coming from Weathertop.
- The next day Aragorn and the hobbits arrive at Weathertop. They find a camp and runes on the top, leading them to suspect Gandalf was there.
- They camp on the side of the hill, where Aragorn tells stories of Luthien.
- Black riders invade the clearing. Frodo puts on the Ring and gets stabbed in the shoulder. Aragorn drives off the Ringwraiths with fire.
- Aragorn tries to heal the wound with athelas. He leads the hobbits away from Weathertop.
- Aragorn finds an elfstone in the road. They come upon the stone trolls.
Ford of Bruinen
- Hearing hooves, they hide. The rider is Glorfindel, of Gondolin. He puts Frodo on his horse and leads them on.
- Hearing black riders behind them, Glorfindel calls his horse to carry Frodo across the Ford. At the Ford, Frodo turns back and defies the Ringwraiths. Glorfindel comes up behind them and they begin to cross the river. A rush of water engulfs them.
- Frodo falls unconscious.
First Appearance – Bill Ferny
Adapted from chapters ‘A Knife in the Dark’, ‘Flight to the Ford’ and ‘The Council of Elrond’ of The Lord of the Rings.
- Black Rider – John Howe
- Gollum Flees the Mirkwood Elves – John Howe
- Fire on Weathertop – Ted Nasmith
- Midgewater Marshes – Anna Kulisz
- Against the Shadow – John Howe
- Glorfindel – Liga Klavina
- Flight to the Ford – John Howe
- Gollum comes across the company. He begins to follow them.
- Gandalf leads them to the West-gate of Moria, where they are forced to let Bill the Pony go.
- Gandalf has trouble opening the door, but he eventually remembers the password with help from Merry.
- The Watcher in the Water attacks Frodo and pulls him into the water. Aragorn and Boromir save him, but as they escape into the mines the Watcher collapses the door behind them.
- Gandalf leads them through the many passages of Moria. Frodo thinks he hears footsteps behind him.
- Gimli tells the others of the many wonders of Moria.
- They come to three passages, which stumps Gandalf.
- Pippin throws a rock down a well, angering Gandalf.
- Gandalf chooses a passage, which turns out to be the right one when they find a great underground hall.
- They find the Chamber of Mazarbul and Gimli mourns beside the tomb of Balin.
- Gandalf reads from the Book of Mazarbul, written by Ori. It tells of Balin and his colony being destroyed by orcs. (flashback)
- They hear the booming of a drum in the deep, and the scurrying of feet. They bar the chamber and are attacked by orcs and a cave troll. Frodo stabs the troll’s foot and it withdraws, but an orc chieftain breaks through and stabs Frodo.
- Aragorn kills the chieftain and the rest of the orcs are driven off.
- Gandalf remains behind to seal the door. Legolas is forced to drag Gimli away from Balin’s Tomb.
- Gandalf is forced to flee, having met his match. They continue on down stairways, fired upon by orc archers.
- The orcs chase them to the Bridge of Khazad-Dum, the balrog coming upon them. Gimli leads them across the bridge while Gandalf holds it.
- Gandalf reflects the balrog’s attacks and breaks the bridge in two, causing the balrog to fall into the abyss. The balrog grabs Gandalf with its whip and Gandalf falls down with it.
- The company flees Moria.
- They stumble on away from the walls before collapsing.
Deaths – Gandalf, Balin (flashback), Ori (flashback), Oin (flashback)
Adapted from chapters ‘A Journey in the Dark’ and ‘The Bridge of Khazad-Dum’ of The Lord of the Rings.
- Mines of Moria – CG Warrior
- The Gates of Moria – Alan Lee
- The Watcher in the Water – Joona Kujanen
- The Halls of Durin – Alan Lee
- Balin’s Tomb – Anke Eissmann
- The Bridge of Khazad-Dum – Paul Monteagle
- The Balrog – Ted Nasmith
- The Bridge of Khazad-Dum – John Howe
- Moria – John Howe
- Glorfindel comes to Elrond with Haldir of Lothlorien. Haldir brings news of the breaking of the Fellowship.
- Saruman sends his army out with the purpose of killing Theoden of Rohan’s son, Theodred.
Fords of Isen
- Theodred and his men are attacked. Theodred is slain.
- Frodo and Sam wander Emyn Muil, frequently becoming lost.
- They see the way down at the edge of a cliff, but cannot get down.
- As they try and climb down the cliff, a dark shape flies overhead and Frodo falls to a ledge below.
- Sam remembers his elven rope and they climb the rest of the way down.
- Sam pulls on the rope, which surprisingly unfastens and falls down.
- In the rain that night, Sam sees a creature crawling towards them. They see that it is Gollum, who jumps on Sam. Frodo subdues him with Sting. Gollum tries to escape but they capture him and bind him with the rope.
- Gollum vows obedience and leads them on towards Mordor.
- Gollum forces them to travel by night. He chokes on lembas bread and refuses to eat more.
- Sam waits until Gollum falls asleep before resting himself. When they wake they find Gollum gone.
- Gollum reappears later, with fish.
- They walk through the Marshes. Gollum says not to follow the lights.
- At night, a Ringwraith flies overhead.
- As they come closer to Mordor, Frodo hears Gollum talking to himself over his desire for the Ring and his vow to serve Frodo.
First Appearances – Theodred, Grimbold, Elfhelm, Dunhere
Death – Theodred
Adapted from chapters ‘The Taming of Smeagol’ and ‘The Passage of the Marshes’ of The Lord of the Rings and ‘The Battles of the Fords of Isen’ from Unfinished Tales.
- Through the Marshes – Ted Nasmith
- Orc Assault – Derek Zabrocki
- Dunhere – Jeff Himmelman
- No Way Down – Ted Nasmith
- The Taming of Smeagol – Alan Lee
- The Dead Marshes – Inger Edelfedlt
- Faramir sees the funeral boat of Boromir.
- Gollum remembers his past, including his murder of Deagol
- A nazgul flies over Frodo, Sam and Gollum. Frodo thanks Gollum, but Gollum refuses to go further. Frodo must threaten him with Sting to make him move.
- Above the slag hills, they finally see the Black Gate.
- The Gate is closely guarded. Gollum says they must not go inside, but Sam and Frodo reply that they must.
- Before Frodo attempts to enter the Gate, Gollum tells them of other ways into Mordor.
- Gollum tells of the passage above Minas Morgul. He pleads with the hobbits to take that path instead.
- Four Nazgul fly out above the Gate. Easterlings arrive as well. Gollum leads Frodo and Sam away from the Black Gate.
- Faramir brings the cloven horn of Boromir to his father. Denethor angrily orders him to Ithilien.
- Frodo and Sam reach green land again, where they bathe in the water.
- Gollum hunts for food, bringing back rabbits.
- Sam notices graven lines on Frodo’s face and neck.
- Sam cooks the rabbits in a stew. Frodo awakes and warns Sam of the fire.
- The hobbits are found by four men. One of them is Faramir.
- Faramir does not believe the hobbits are travellers. Frodo explains their separation from Aragorn and Boromir.
- Faramir sets a guard on the hobbits and disappears into the forest.
- From afar, Frodo and Sam witness Faramir’s men attacking a company of Haradrim.
- A mumak comes out of the forest and crushes the remainder of the Haradrim.
- Faramir returns and orders Frodo and Sam to be taken with them.
First Appearance – Denethor, Deagol, Mablung, Damrod, Anborn
Death – Deagol
Adapted from chapters ‘The Shadow of the Past’, ‘The Black Gate is Closed’, ‘Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit’ and ‘The Window on the West’ and Appendix A of The Lord of the Rings.
- The Black Gate is Closed – Michael Kaluta
- The Funeral Boat of Boromir – Anke Eissmann
- Smeagol and Deagol – Jos
- The Black Gate is Closed – Alan Lee
- First Sight of Ithilien – Ted Nasmith
- Encounter with Faramir – Anke Eissmann
- An Oliphaunt – Alan Lee
- The Fallen Southron – Anke Eissmann
- Khamul the Ringwraith sends out armies to attack Lothlorien and the Woodland Realm.
- The army of Dol Guldor attacks Lothlorien. The army is repelled by Celeborn and the power of Galadriel’s ring.
- Sam awakes to find Faramir interrogating Frodo. Faramir alludes to the dream Boromir told of at Rivendell.
- Faramir suspects Frodo of betraying Boromir.
- Faramir confronts Frodo over Boromir’s death, revealing he has seen the funeral boat. Frodo does not believe Boromir is dead.
- Faramir cannot hold back his grief, asking for answers about Boromir’s death.
- Faramir decides to take them back to Minas Tirith.
- Frodo and Sam are blindfolded and taken west. Faramir asks questions about Isildur’s Bane, suspecting that Frodo carries it.
- Faramir removes their blindfolds and shows them the Window on the West.
- He tells them about the glory of Gondor, including fighting alongside Boromir. (flashback)
- Sam accidentally reveals Boromir tried to take the Ring. Frodo shows Faramir the Ring, but he has no interest in it. Frodo tells him of the quest to destroy it.
- Frodo and Sam go to sleep. Faramir recounts the battle of Osgiliath, where Boromir, Faramir and a company held the bridge against the Witch-King. The bridge was eventually destroyed. Only four survived.
- Faramir hears of Gollum in the river, waking Frodo and Sam.
- Faramir shows them Gollum. Frodo pleads for them not to kill him.
- Frodo persuades Gollum to come with him, but Faramir’s men capture him.
- Faramir interrogates Gollum, who does not co-operate. Frodo intervenes and Faramir trusts his judgment.
- Faramir takes them back to the road. He warns Frodo about Gollum and Minas Morgul, but Frodo says he must continue.
- Faramir leads his men back to Osgiliath.
- Gollum leads them on. From afar, they see the shape of the Morgul Valley and Minas Morgul.
- Sauron commands the Witch-King to lead the army to Minas Morgul and then to Gondor.
Adapted from chapters ‘The Window on the West’, ‘The Forbidden Pool’ and ‘Journey to the Cross-Roads’ and Appendix B of The Lord of the Rings.
- The Terrace at Henneth Annun – Ted Nasmith
- Khamul the Black Easterling – Unknown
- A Pert Servant – Anke Eissmann
- The Window on the West – Ted Nasmith
- The Forbidden Pool – Anke Eissmann
- Faramir Bids Farewell – Anke Eissman
- Sam awakens to find Gollum gone. Sam is relieved but Frodo reminds him of the help Gollum has given them.
- The daylight becomes darker. Gollum returns and leads them east.
- They come to the Cross-Roads. They see a headless statue of a King. The head lies nearby, crowned with flowers.
- Gollum pushes them onwards down the Southward road.
- The air becomes filled with a foul stench. Frodo begs for rest but Gollum and Sam push him to keep going.
- The Tower of the Moon rises in the distance.
- They move past the north gate of Minas Morgul. As they do so, the tower erupts in thunder and the gates open.
- The Witch-King leads a great host out of the tower. Frodo and Sam hide, yet the Witch-King halts near them. Frodo reaches for the Ring, but the Witch-King keeps moving.
- They start to climb the Straight Stair
- The ents reach the edge of Fangorn. Treebeard commands them to destroy Isengard.
- The ents break down the walls of Isengard despite being shot at with arrows.
- Treebeard breaks the gate. Bregalad sees Saruman inside and rushes at him, but Saruman reaches Orthanc safely.
- Saruman activates vents all over Isengard, sending fiery blasts into the air. Beechbone is caught in a blast, burning to death.
- Treebeard goes berserk. His roars crack stone and the ents destroy Saruman’s machinery.
- Frodo and Sam struggle up the stair, forced to climb with hands and feet.
- Frodo becomes distraught, fearing he is too late in destroying the Ring.
- They reach the end of the Straight Stair, but Gollum says the Winding Stair is still to come.
- Gollum scampers off. Frodo and Sam talk of old songs and stories and whether they will ever be characters in them.
- Gollum talks to himself about Frodo and his plan. He comes to a passage and talks with something inside.
- Gollum returns to find Frodo asleep. He feels guilty, even feeling true affection for Frodo. Sam wakes up and accuses Gollum of sneaking.
- Frodo frees Gollum from his bond, but Gollum says he must lead them to the end. They continue on.
- The ents have dug great trenches. Bregalad destroys the dam of Isen, flooding Isengard.
- The remaining orcs try and escape, but are caught by the forest of Huorns surrounding Isengard.
- Wormtongue arrives on horseback. Treebeard captures him.
- Saruman berates Wormtongue for losing control of Theoden.
- Treebeard thanks Merry and Pippin. The hobbits find pipe-weed in a storeroom.
Death – Beechbone
Adapted from chapters ‘Journey to the Cross-Roads’, ‘The Stairs of Cirith Ungol’ and ‘Flotsam and Jetsam’ of The Lord of the Rings.
- Minas Morgul – Matthew Burton
- The Day Without Dawn – Anke Eissmann
- At the Cross-Roads – Ted Nasmith
- The Tower of the Moon – Ted Nasmith
- Minas Morgul – John Howe
- The Wrath of the Ents – Ted Nasmith
- Gollum’s Debate – Ted Nasmith
- The Ents Destroy Isengard – John Howe
- Sauron sees Pippin in the Palantir. He questions about the Ring, but is cut off. He orders the Nazgul to make for Isengard.
Gap of Rohan
- Gandalf takes the Palantir and chastises Pippin.
- Gandalf explains the Palantir and how Saruman was corrupted by it.
- They debate their next move, with Gandalf noting that the confusion caused by Pippin could work to their advantage.
- Sam helps Frodo up the last part of the Winding Stair. Gollum shows where to go next: a dark tunnel.
- Despite the terrible smell and the possibility of orcs, Frodo and Sam enter.
- The hobbits can only move forward by feeling the walls. They call out for Gollum, but he has disappeared.
- Frodo and Sam continue on. Frodo begins to feel an overwhelming sense of dread.
- They hear scurrying and hissing around them. They feel dead bodies beneath their feet. Frodo raises the Phial of Galadriel.
- The light illuminates hundreds of eyes. As they move closer, they are revealed to belong to a giant spider, Shelob.
- Frodo walks towards the eyes, which retreat from the light.
- Frodo and Sam flee, but are blocked by strong cobwebs. Frodo cuts them with Sting and they head for the exit.
- Sam sees orcs ahead and tries to warn Frodo. Shelob attacks, cutting off Sam. Sam goes to save Frodo but is dragged away by Gollum.
- Shelob attacks Frodo, who fights but is poisoned and falls unconscious.
- Sam fights against Gollum. He threatens to stab him and Gollum flees.
- Sam attacks Shelob, who is over Frodo’s body. He sees Frodo, seemingly dead, wrapped in web.
- Sam struggles with the spider, stabbing it in the eye. Shelob overpowers him, but Sam stabs her in the belly. Shelob flees.
- Sam checks Frodo’s heartbeat, but finds nothing.
- Sam thinks Frodo is dead and takes the Ring. He hears orc voices coming.
Gap of Rohan
- A Nazgul flies over the group, forcing them to hide.
- Gandalf predicts that Sauron will move to attack Minas Tirith. He advises Theoden and Aragorn to ride to Gondor. He gives Aragorn the Palantir.
- Gandalf takes Pippin with him and leaves on Shadowfax.
- An army again approaches Lothlorien. Galadriel says unless Sauron is defeated they will eventually be overrun.
- Eowyn receives word that the men were victorious, yet the riders say Theoden may yet ride to Gondor. Eowyn prepares for them to leave for Dunharrow.
- Elrond and Glorfindel talk about the fate of Middle-Earth. Elrond decides to prepare his elves to leave for the Grey Havens.
- Sam puts on the Ring. The orcs take Frodo. Sam overhears them talking about Shelob’s poison and how it paralyses, not kills.
- Sam follows the orcs into Mordor.
- The Witch-King’s army moves towards Osgiliath, where Faramir awaits.
First Appearances – Shelob, Gorbag, Shagrat
Death – Shelob
Adapted from chapters ‘The Palantir’, ‘Shelob’s Lair’ and ‘The Choices of Master Samwise’ and Appendix B of The Lord of the Rings
- Shelob – John Howe
- Sauron Speaks With Palantir – Hive17
- Shelob’s Lair – Rob Alexander
- Shelob About to Leap on Frodo – John Howe
- Sam and Shelob – John Howe
- Shelob’s Retreat – Ted Nasmith
- The Choices of Master Samwise – Turner Mohan
- Gandalf on Shadowfax Before Minas Tirith – Luca Michelucci
- Council of War – MelorianJ
- Sam Enters Mordor Alone – Ted Nasmith
- Shagrat comes to the Tower. He shows Sauron the mithril vest. Sauron kills him.
- Sauron commands the Ringwraiths to move forward their armies in the north.
- Sam and Frodo scurry away from Cirith Ungol. The Nazgul return from the battle to Barad-Dur. Frodo and Sam run and hide.
- Under a bridge, they hear an orc company pass above them. They slide down a cliff into a tangle of thorns.
- Frodo struggles to walk. He takes his orc-mail off. They see the west wind blow away some of the black cloud overhead.
- They find a stream, the first water they have had in days.
- Frodo falls asleep and Sam keeps watch. He looks over Mordor and sees in the sky a white star. He falls asleep as well.
- With his elves departing, Elrond and Arwen receive news from Glorfindel of the victory in Gondor and battles in Dale, Mirkwood and Lothlorien.
- King Brand retreats to Erebor. Dain leads the dwarves out to fight. Brand is mortally wounded. Dain defends his body, but is wounded himself. They retreat inside the mountain.
- The Woodland Realm is set alight. Thranduil rides out and repels the attackers.
- Celeborn drives back the third assault. Galadriel says they must destroy Dol Guldur.
- Theoden is carried through the city. Pippin finds Merry.
- Beregond brings Faramir to the Houses of Healing. Eowyn and Merry are also brought there.
- Aragorn waits outside of the city for Denethor to allow him to enter. Imrahil tells him of Denethor’s fate. Aragorn appoints Imrahil as acting leader.
- Gandalf meets Aragorn. He asks for aid in the Houses. He tells Eomer that Eowyn lives.
- Aragorn asks for kingsfoil. Ioreth sends Bergil to fetch some.
- Aragorn heals Faramir, Eowyn and Merry, who awake and speak with him.
- People gather to see Aragorn. They ask for his help in healing. He and the sons of Elrond work through the night.
- Frodo and Sam see the vast armies of Mordor. They have no choice but to walk through.
- They overhear two orcs talk of a great elven warrior on the loose.
- Sam thinks he sees Gollum spying them.
- A battalion of orcs come up behind them. They hide but are spotted and forced into line.
- Frodo stumbles. As he does, another orc company crashes into them. Scuffles break out and Sam drags Frodo out of the lines and into a pit.
- Thranduil and Celeborn meet in Mirkwood, planning to attack Dol Guldur
First Appearances – Ioreth, Brand, Bard II, Thorin III Stonehelm
Deaths – Shagrat. Brand, Dain
Adapted from chapters ‘The Houses of Healing’ and ‘The Land of Shadow’ and Appendix B of The Lord of the Rings and ‘The Quest for Erebor’ of Unfinished Tales
- Mordor – Dario Coelho
- Barad-Dur – Alan Lee
- Stench of Mordor – John Howe
- Sam’s Revelation – Ted Nasmith
- Dale Units vs Rhun – Jan Pospisil
- Athelas – Anke Eissmann
- Mount Doom – John Howe