- Thranduil and an unnamed ranger lead Gandalf to a prison cell, containing Gollum.
- Gollum tells Gandalf that he had been tortured by Sauron, telling him the words ‘shire’ and ‘Baggins’.
- Gandalf realises Bilbo’s ring is the One Ring and leaves for the Shire.
- At the Green Dragon, rumours abound of evil spreading throughout the south.
- Gandalf arrives at Bag End. He takes the Ring from Frodo and throws it in the fire. The runes that appear confirm that it’s the One Ring.
- Gandalf explains the history of the Ring to Frodo.
- Frodo realises he must take the Ring somewhere else. Gandalf recommends reliable companions, soon after catching Sam Gamgee eavesdropping at the window.
- Gandalf leaves to meet with Saruman, telling Frodo to meet him at Bree.
- Frodo holds a small gathering for his birthday, telling his friends he well be moving to Buckland.
- The next day, Frodo sends Merry and Fatty to Buckland with his luggage.
- As Frodo leaves with Sam and Pippin, he hears a strange voice talking to the Gaffer, asking for Mr Baggins.
- The three set out towards Buckland.
- On the road, they hear hooves. Frodo urges them to hide. A black rider appears, stopping where they are hiding, before riding off again.
- As night falls they come across another black rider, who comes towards Frodo. It rides off once it hears the singing of elves.
- The elves come across Frodo. Their leader, Gildor, explain the black riders as servants of the enemy.
- They hear hooves in the distance, but it turns out to be Merry.
- Gandalf comes upon Radagast, who tells him Sauron has sent the Nazgul out. Gandalf has Radagast send a note to Bree.
- Gandalf comes to Isengard.
First Appearances – Aragorn (unnamed), Gildor
Adapted from chapters ‘The Shadow of the Past’, ‘Three is Company’, ‘The Council of Elrond’ and Appendix B from Lord of the Rings and ‘The Hunt for the Ring’ in Unfinished Tales.
- Green Hill Country – Ted Nasmith
- Gollum Held Captive by the Elves – Inger Edelfeldt
- Bag End – Shadow of the Past – Donato Giancola
- Black Riders in The Shire – John Howe
- Last Sight of Hobbiton – Ted Nasmith
- Frodo Meets Gildor – Alan Lee