- Thranduil and an unnamed ranger lead Gandalf to a prison cell, containing Gollum.
- Gollum tells Gandalf that he had been tortured by Sauron, telling him the words ‘shire’ and ‘Baggins’.
- Gandalf realises Bilbo’s ring is the One Ring and leaves for the Shire.
- At the Green Dragon, rumours abound of evil spreading throughout the south.
- Gandalf arrives at Bag End. He takes the Ring from Frodo and throws it in the fire. The runes that appear confirm that it’s the One Ring.
- Gandalf explains the history of the Ring to Frodo.
- Frodo realises he must take the Ring somewhere else. Gandalf recommends reliable companions, soon after catching Sam Gamgee eavesdropping at the window.
- Gandalf leaves to meet with Saruman, telling Frodo to meet him at Bree.
- Frodo holds a small gathering for his birthday, telling his friends he well be moving to Buckland.
- The next day, Frodo sends Merry and Fatty to Buckland with his luggage.
- As Frodo leaves with Sam and Pippin, he hears a strange voice talking to the Gaffer, asking for Mr Baggins.
- The three set out towards Buckland.
- On the road, they hear hooves. Frodo urges them to hide. A black rider appears, stopping where they are hiding, before riding off again.
- As night falls they come across another black rider, who comes towards Frodo. It rides off once it hears the singing of elves.
- The elves come across Frodo. Their leader, Gildor, explain the black riders as servants of the enemy.
- They hear hooves in the distance, but it turns out to be Merry.
- Gandalf comes upon Radagast, who tells him Sauron has sent the Nazgul out. Gandalf has Radagast send a note to Bree.
- Gandalf comes to Isengard.
First Appearances – Aragorn (unnamed), Gildor
Adapted from chapters ‘The Shadow of the Past’, ‘Three is Company’, ‘The Council of Elrond’ and Appendix B from Lord of the Rings and ‘The Hunt for the Ring’ in Unfinished Tales.
- Green Hill Country – Ted Nasmith
- Gollum Held Captive by the Elves – Inger Edelfeldt
- Bag End – Shadow of the Past – Donato Giancola
- Black Riders in The Shire – John Howe
- Last Sight of Hobbiton – Ted Nasmith
- Frodo Meets Gildor – Alan Lee
- An orc pack attacks Thranduil’s Realm. Gollum escapes.
- Thranduil sends Legolas to Rivendell with news of the escape.
- Black riders destroy the hobbits’ room.
- Sam finds the ponies missing. They buy a malnourished pony from Bill Ferny.
- Aragorn leads the hobbits away from Bree, with the town watching.
- Aragorn strays from the road and takes the hobbits through the marshes.
- Gandalf comes to Bree. He berates Barliman for not sending the letter on. He leaves again.
- Gandalf rides to Weathertop. He sees no sign of the hobbits, but is ambushed by the black riders.
- Frodo sees bright lightning and flashes of light in the distance. Aragorn says it appears to be coming from Weathertop.
- The next day Aragorn and the hobbits arrive at Weathertop. They find a camp and runes on the top, leading them to suspect Gandalf was there.
- They camp on the side of the hill, where Aragorn tells stories of Luthien.
- Black riders invade the clearing. Frodo puts on the Ring and gets stabbed in the shoulder. Aragorn drives off the Ringwraiths with fire.
- Aragorn tries to heal the wound with athelas. He leads the hobbits away from Weathertop.
- Aragorn finds an elfstone in the road. They come upon the stone trolls.
Ford of Bruinen
- Hearing hooves, they hide. The rider is Glorfindel, of Gondolin. He puts Frodo on his horse and leads them on.
- Hearing black riders behind them, Glorfindel calls his horse to carry Frodo across the Ford. At the Ford, Frodo turns back and defies the Ringwraiths. Glorfindel comes up behind them and they begin to cross the river. A rush of water engulfs them.
- Frodo falls unconscious.
First Appearance – Bill Ferny
Adapted from chapters ‘A Knife in the Dark’, ‘Flight to the Ford’ and ‘The Council of Elrond’ of The Lord of the Rings.
- Black Rider – John Howe
- Gollum Flees the Mirkwood Elves – John Howe
- Fire on Weathertop – Ted Nasmith
- Midgewater Marshes – Anna Kulisz
- Against the Shadow – John Howe
- Glorfindel – Liga Klavina
- Flight to the Ford – John Howe
- Shagrat comes to the Tower. He shows Sauron the mithril vest. Sauron kills him.
- Sauron commands the Ringwraiths to move forward their armies in the north.
- Sam and Frodo scurry away from Cirith Ungol. The Nazgul return from the battle to Barad-Dur. Frodo and Sam run and hide.
- Under a bridge, they hear an orc company pass above them. They slide down a cliff into a tangle of thorns.
- Frodo struggles to walk. He takes his orc-mail off. They see the west wind blow away some of the black cloud overhead.
- They find a stream, the first water they have had in days.
- Frodo falls asleep and Sam keeps watch. He looks over Mordor and sees in the sky a white star. He falls asleep as well.
- With his elves departing, Elrond and Arwen receive news from Glorfindel of the victory in Gondor and battles in Dale, Mirkwood and Lothlorien.
- King Brand retreats to Erebor. Dain leads the dwarves out to fight. Brand is mortally wounded. Dain defends his body, but is wounded himself. They retreat inside the mountain.
- The Woodland Realm is set alight. Thranduil rides out and repels the attackers.
- Celeborn drives back the third assault. Galadriel says they must destroy Dol Guldur.
- Theoden is carried through the city. Pippin finds Merry.
- Beregond brings Faramir to the Houses of Healing. Eowyn and Merry are also brought there.
- Aragorn waits outside of the city for Denethor to allow him to enter. Imrahil tells him of Denethor’s fate. Aragorn appoints Imrahil as acting leader.
- Gandalf meets Aragorn. He asks for aid in the Houses. He tells Eomer that Eowyn lives.
- Aragorn asks for kingsfoil. Ioreth sends Bergil to fetch some.
- Aragorn heals Faramir, Eowyn and Merry, who awake and speak with him.
- People gather to see Aragorn. They ask for his help in healing. He and the sons of Elrond work through the night.
- Frodo and Sam see the vast armies of Mordor. They have no choice but to walk through.
- They overhear two orcs talk of a great elven warrior on the loose.
- Sam thinks he sees Gollum spying them.
- A battalion of orcs come up behind them. They hide but are spotted and forced into line.
- Frodo stumbles. As he does, another orc company crashes into them. Scuffles break out and Sam drags Frodo out of the lines and into a pit.
- Thranduil and Celeborn meet in Mirkwood, planning to attack Dol Guldur
First Appearances – Ioreth, Brand, Bard II, Thorin III Stonehelm
Deaths – Shagrat. Brand, Dain
Adapted from chapters ‘The Houses of Healing’ and ‘The Land of Shadow’ and Appendix B of The Lord of the Rings and ‘The Quest for Erebor’ of Unfinished Tales
- Mordor – Dario Coelho
- Barad-Dur – Alan Lee
- Stench of Mordor – John Howe
- Sam’s Revelation – Ted Nasmith
- Dale Units vs Rhun – Jan Pospisil
- Athelas – Anke Eissmann
- Mount Doom – John Howe
- Gwaihir bears Gandalf over Mordor to Mount Doom.
- Bard II and Thorin Stonehelm drive the enemy from Dale.
- Celeborn and Thranduil destroy Dol Guldur. Galadriel purifies the fortress.
- All over Middle Earth, the enemy flees.
- Sam and Frodo awaken to find Gandalf. They are taken outside where the whole Army of the West celebrates their deeds.
- They are reunited with Pippin, Merry, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli.
- Elrond receives word of Sauron’s defeat. He gives leave for Arwen to marry Aragorn.
- Faramir and Eowyn speak of their dreams, a wave climbing over green lands. As they do so, the shadows depart and the sun is unveiled.
- Faramir shows Eowyn the beauty of healing and of the gardens. He offers her his love.
- The Army of the West return to the city. Faramir gives Aragorn the keys and the crown of Earnur.
- Gandalf crowns Aragorn King of Gondor and Arnor.
- Aragorn enters Minas Tirith and sits on his throne.
- Aragorn pardons the Easterlings and the Haradrim. He pardons Beregond from death, but banishes him from Minas Tirith, setting him to instead be captain of the White Company in Ithilien.
- Eowyn speaks with Aragorn. Afterwards, she agrees to marry Faramir.
- Elladan and Elrohir meet the escort of Arwen, including Elrond, Glorfindel, Galadriel and Celeborn.
- Gandalf takes Aragorn high into the mountains. They look across his realm and find a sapling of the White Tree.
- Weeks later, Aragorn and Arwen are wed.
- The Fellowship and their friends leave Minas Tirith.
- King Theoden is laid to rest. Faramir and Eowyn are betrothed.
- Arwen speaks to Frodo of her place on the ships into the west.
- Elrond and Arwen go into the hills where they say their final goodbyes.
- Treebeard reveals he has released Saruman.
- Legolas and Gimli leave the Fellowship, travelling through Fangorn.
- Aragorn says farewell. He watches the Fellowship go north, the green fire of the Elfstone in his hand.
- They come across Saruman and offer him mercy. He declines.
- The company reaches Rivendell. Frodo reunites with Bilbo
Adapted from chapters ‘The Field of Cormallen’, ‘The Steward and the King’ and ‘Many Partings’ and Appendices A and B of The Lord of the Rings.
- The Steward and the King – Anke Eissmann
- The Field of Cormallen – Tolman Cotton
- The Sun Unveiled – Ted Nasmith
- The Crowning of Elessar – Francesco Amadio
- The Judgement on Beregond – Maureval
- Elessar and Mithrandir – Peter Xavier Price
- King and His Queen – Janka Lateckova
- Arwen’s Gift – Anke Eissmann
- Journey Home – Anna Lee
- Saruman is Overtaken – Ted Nasmith
- Gandalf comes to Lothlorien, where he meets the White Council.
- Gandalf tells of Thrain and Sauron in Dol Guldor and urges an attack.
- The dwarves are tied up in webs. Bilbo kills a spider and puts on the Ring. He calls his dagger ‘Sting’.
- Bilbo lures the spiders away and frees the dwarves.
- They find that Thorin is missing. The spiders return and the dwarves manage to kill them.
- As they are looking for Thorin they are captured by wood-elves. Bilbo evades capture.
- Thorin had been captured earlier and was brought before Thranduil.
- Thorin refuses to tell of his quest and is locked up with the others.
- Bilbo finds the dwarves and relays messages between them.
- Bilbo steals the keys from Thranduil’s drunk butler and frees the dwarves.
- Bilbo gets the dwarves into barrels. The elves come and push the barrels into the river.
- Bilbo grabs onto a barrel and rides down the river until they get to the Long Lake.
- The raft-elves find the barrels and load them onto the raft, where Bard takes them back to Laketown.
First Appearances – Bard, Legolas (not named), Haldir, Galion
Adapted from chapters ‘Flies and Spiders’ and ‘Barrels out of Bond’ of The Hobbit and Appendix B of Lord of the Rings.
- Guards of Mirkwood – Henning Janssen
- The Spiders of Mirkwood – Ted Nasmith
- Blindfolded – Henning Janssen
- Barrels our of Bond – Francesco Amadio
- Raft-elves – David T. Wenzel
- The White Council leads the army of Lothlorien to Dol Guldor.
- The White Council defeat the orcs of Dol Guldor and drive out Sauron.
- Bolg leads an army of orcs and wargs past Beorn’s lands.
- Gandalf leaves the White Council.
- Gandalf comes across Bolg’s army on the borders of Mirkwood. He turns east and rides through the forest.
- Smaug hurls boulders and flames against the secret door.
- He flies towards Laketown
- Bilbo finds the thrush and writes a message for it to find Bard.
- Smaug comes upon Laketown. He flames the entire town, killing many.
- Bard and his men shoot at Smaug, but the arrows deflect off him.
- The thrush finds Bard with the message. Bard finds Smaug’s weak spot and hits it with his Black Arrow.
- Smaug dies, falling upon the town.
- The dwarves go down and discover the gold. Thorin gifts Bilbo with a Mithril coat.
- Through the front gate they see the destruction of Laketown.
- The survivors reach the shore. The people hail Bard.
- The raft-elves come upon them. Bard tells of Smaug’s death.
- A messenger comes to Thranduil, informing him of Smaug’s death.
- Bard argues with the Master about their direction. The people side with Bard and drive the Master away.
- Thranduil and his elves come to Esgaroth and help the survivors.
- Thranduil talks with Bard about the dwarves and their gold. They both agree they deserve portions.
Death – Smaug
Adapted from chapters ‘Not at Home’, ‘Fire and Water’ and ‘The Gathering of the Clouds’ in The Hobbit and Appendix B of Lord of the Rings.
- Gathering of the Clouds – David Wyatt
- Attack on Dol Guldur – Angus McBride
- Bilbo and the Thrush – Alarie
- Alert the Folk – John Howe
- The Black Arrow – Ted Nasmith
- Gandalf and Erebor – minenanoah
- A raven, Roac, comes to Erebor, sent by Dain.
- Thorin observes the Elvenking’s armies. He sends Roac back with a message for Dain to bring a host of armoured dwarves.
- The dwarves fortify the gate of Erebor.
- Bard comes to speak with Thorin. Thorin refuses to give up any treasure and will not speak with Thranduil.
- Bilbo attempts to convince the dwarves against war.
- Bilbo takes the Arkenstone and sneaks down to the camps.
- Bilbo is found by Gandalf who takes him to Bard and Thranduil.
- Bilbo gives Thranduil the Arkenstone.
- The next day, Bard shows Thorin the Arkenstone.
- Thorin kicks Bilbo out of the mountain.
- Dain and his dwarves arrive but are blocked by Bard. The dwarves ready to attack.
- Gandalf stands between the armies and tells of Bolg coming from the north.
- The three armies protect the mountain against Bolg. The goblins gain the upper hand.
- Thorin leads the dwarves out of the mountain.
- The Eagles arrive.
- Thorin fights Bolg and is wounded gravely. Fili and Kili fall defending him.
- Beorn arrives and kills Bolg.
- Bilbo is hit on the head by a falling rock and is knocked out.
First Appearance – Roac
Deaths – Fili, Kili, Bolg
Adapted from the chapters ‘The Gathering of the Clouds’, ‘A Thief in the Night’ and ‘The Clouds Burst’ in The Hobbit.
- The Battle of Five Armies – John Blanche
- Thorin and Roac – John Howe
- The Siege of Erebor – Alan Lee
- The Arkenstone – Ulla Thynel
- The Battle of Five Armies – ‘The Last Stand of Thorin Oakenshield’ – Lucas Graciano
- Battle Under the Mountain – Matt Stewart