- Thranduil and an unnamed ranger lead Gandalf to a prison cell, containing Gollum.
- Gollum tells Gandalf that he had been tortured by Sauron, telling him the words ‘shire’ and ‘Baggins’.
- Gandalf realises Bilbo’s ring is the One Ring and leaves for the Shire.
- At the Green Dragon, rumours abound of evil spreading throughout the south.
- Gandalf arrives at Bag End. He takes the Ring from Frodo and throws it in the fire. The runes that appear confirm that it’s the One Ring.
- Gandalf explains the history of the Ring to Frodo.
- Frodo realises he must take the Ring somewhere else. Gandalf recommends reliable companions, soon after catching Sam Gamgee eavesdropping at the window.
- Gandalf leaves to meet with Saruman, telling Frodo to meet him at Bree.
- Frodo holds a small gathering for his birthday, telling his friends he well be moving to Buckland.
- The next day, Frodo sends Merry and Fatty to Buckland with his luggage.
- As Frodo leaves with Sam and Pippin, he hears a strange voice talking to the Gaffer, asking for Mr Baggins.
- The three set out towards Buckland.
- On the road, they hear hooves. Frodo urges them to hide. A black rider appears, stopping where they are hiding, before riding off again.
- As night falls they come across another black rider, who comes towards Frodo. It rides off once it hears the singing of elves.
- The elves come across Frodo. Their leader, Gildor, explain the black riders as servants of the enemy.
- They hear hooves in the distance, but it turns out to be Merry.
- Gandalf comes upon Radagast, who tells him Sauron has sent the Nazgul out. Gandalf has Radagast send a note to Bree.
- Gandalf comes to Isengard.
First Appearances – Aragorn (unnamed), Gildor
Adapted from chapters ‘The Shadow of the Past’, ‘Three is Company’, ‘The Council of Elrond’ and Appendix B from Lord of the Rings and ‘The Hunt for the Ring’ in Unfinished Tales.
- Green Hill Country – Ted Nasmith
- Gollum Held Captive by the Elves – Inger Edelfeldt
- Bag End – Shadow of the Past – Donato Giancola
- Black Riders in The Shire – John Howe
- Last Sight of Hobbiton – Ted Nasmith
- Frodo Meets Gildor – Alan Lee
- The Numenoreans trade with the elves of Lindon and the men of the south.
- Messengers from Valinor arrive. The men of Numenor argue about why they are not allowed to sail to Valinor.
- The servants of Sauron construct Barad-Dur and the Black Gate.
Eregion (S.A. 1500)
- Celebrimbor and Sauron talk. Celebrimbor directs him to Gil-Galad.
- Celebrimbor makes advances on Galadriel, who refuses him.
- Celebrimbor creates a version of the Elessar for Galadriel.
- They are visited by dwarves of Khazad-Dum who ask for help in creating doorways to their kingdom.
- Celebrimbor creates the Door of Durin.
- Gil-Galad does not trust Sauron and turns him away.
- Sauron returns to Celebrimbor and suggests the idea for the Rings of Power.
- Sauron turns Celebrimbor against Galadriel, driving her away.
- The Rings of Power are made. Celebrimbor creates three rings without Sauron’s knowledge.
- Sauron leaves Eregion.
- Galadriel and Celeborn come across Lorinand and decide to settle there.
- Sauron creates the One Ring.
- As Sauron puts the Ring on, Celebrimbor becomes aware of his treachery. He sends messengers to Gil-Galad.
- Sauron attacks Eregion. Dwarves arrive from the east but are defeated. Gil-Galad sends word to Numenor.
- Celebrimbor sends the three rings away, two to Gil-Galad and one to Galadriel.
- Sauron tortures Celebrimbor for the location of the rings. Celebrimbor is killed and his body carried as a banner for the forces of Sauron.
First Appearances – Tar-Minastir, Ciryatur, Durin III, Narvi, Amdir, Amroth
Deaths – Celebrimbor
- City of Ost-in-Edhel Mural – Alan Lee
- Barad-Dur – J.R.R. Tolkien
- Sauron – Weillach
- Celebrimbor – Angus McBride
- The Forging of the One – Ted Nasmith
- Celebrimbor – Kaaile
Season 2 covers the Long Peace and the breaking of the Siege of Angband, from the beginning of the First Age to Year 456. There are a few time skips of several hundred years. This season sees the Dagor Aglareb, construction of Gondolin and Nargothrond, the coming of Men and the Dagor Bragollach.
Prologue – Eregion
- Elrond and his sons meet with Maglor again. This time he is in Eregion, Celebrimbor’s old kingdom. Maglor is convinced to tell Elrond’s sons about how Beleriand was overtaken by Morgoth.
- Maedhros hangs from Thangorodrim. Morgoth and Sauron both taunt and torment him. He refuses to give up secrets about the Noldor.
- Both Maedhros and Sauron see Thorondor from afar.
- Fingolfin begins building his kingdom, Hithlum.
- Believing Maedhros dead, Maglor and the Sons of Feanor prepare to leave Mithrim and go east.
- Fingolfin gives Fingon a domain in the west, Dor-lomin.
- Turgon struggles to get over his wife’s death, becoming protective of Idril. He blames Feanor and his sons for Elenwe’s death.
- Thorondor arrives to inform Feanor’s sons of Maedhros’ imprisonment.
- Thingol welcomes Noldor ambassadors in his land, but refuses to give up land of Beleriand to them.
- Thingol’s daughter, Luthien, is curious about the Noldor. Thingol refuses to let her leave Doriath.
First Appearances – Luthien, Nimloth
Adapted from chapters ‘Of the Return of the Noldor’ and ‘Of Beleriand and its Realms’ from The Silmarillion.
- Lake Mithrim – J.R.R. Tolkien
- Maedhros Upon Thangorodrim – Jenny Dolfen
- Prayer of Fingon – Tuuliky