- Glorfindel carries Frodo to Elrond, who begins to heal him.
- Aragorn and the hobbits are welcomed by Gandalf.
- Legolas, Gloin and Gimli, and Boromir arrive in Rivendell.
- Frodo awakens two days later to find Gandalf sitting nearby. Gandalf explains the Ringwraiths, Frodo’s wound and the flood at the Ford.
- Gandalf takes Frodo to the Hall of Fire, where he finds his friends. Among the guests he also finds Gloin and Bilbo. They talk of Erebor and Bilbo’s work, including A Elbereth Gilthoniel.
- Glorfindel explains to Frodo how he returned from death. He also tells of the Ringwraith that stabbed Frodo, the Witch-King, and the battles of Arnor and Angmar. He claims the Witch-King will not fall by the hand of man.
- Aragorn helps Bilbo with his poem and then talks to Arwen and Elrond. Elrond reasserts his condition for Aragorn and Arwen to marry: Aragorn must become King of Gondor and Arnor.
- The next day, Gandalf takes Bilbo and Frodo to the Council of Elrond.
- Elrond states the purpose of the Council and introduces Frodo and the Ring.
- Gloin tells of the messenger that came to Erebor and Legolas tells of Gollum’s escape.
- Elrond relates the history of the Ring. Afterwards Boromir tells of his dream. Aragorn reveals the shards of Narsil.
- Gandalf tells of Gollum and the treason of Saruman.
- The Council debates on what to do. Boromir suggest using the Ring for good, while Glorfindel suggests throwing it in the sea. Elrond declares it must be destroyed in Mount Doom.
- Bilbo, despite his age, volunteers to take the Ring. Gandalf says he cannot, and so Frodo volunteers instead.
- Sam bursts forth from hiding and says Frodo will not go alone.
First Appearances – Lindir, Galdor
Adapted from chapters ‘Many Meetings’ and ‘The Council of Elrond’ and Appendix A of The Lord of the Rings.
- The Council of Elrond – Peachdust
- A Pleasant Awakening – Carol Emery Phenix
- Battle of Fornost – Merlkir
- Hall of Fire – Stephen Hickman
- Lord of Rivendell – Peter Xavier Price
- The Council of Elrond – Alan Lee