- Gandalf comes to Lothlorien, where he meets the White Council.
- Gandalf tells of Thrain and Sauron in Dol Guldor and urges an attack.
- The dwarves are tied up in webs. Bilbo kills a spider and puts on the Ring. He calls his dagger ‘Sting’.
- Bilbo lures the spiders away and frees the dwarves.
- They find that Thorin is missing. The spiders return and the dwarves manage to kill them.
- As they are looking for Thorin they are captured by wood-elves. Bilbo evades capture.
- Thorin had been captured earlier and was brought before Thranduil.
- Thorin refuses to tell of his quest and is locked up with the others.
- Bilbo finds the dwarves and relays messages between them.
- Bilbo steals the keys from Thranduil’s drunk butler and frees the dwarves.
- Bilbo gets the dwarves into barrels. The elves come and push the barrels into the river.
- Bilbo grabs onto a barrel and rides down the river until they get to the Long Lake.
- The raft-elves find the barrels and load them onto the raft, where Bard takes them back to Laketown.
First Appearances – Bard, Legolas (not named), Haldir, Galion
Adapted from chapters ‘Flies and Spiders’ and ‘Barrels out of Bond’ of The Hobbit and Appendix B of Lord of the Rings.
- Guards of Mirkwood – Henning Janssen
- The Spiders of Mirkwood – Ted Nasmith
- Blindfolded – Henning Janssen
- Barrels our of Bond – Francesco Amadio
- Raft-elves – David T. Wenzel
- The dwarves pop out of the barrels when they arrive at Laketown, dirty and exhausted.
- Bard takes them to meet the Master.
- The Master throws a feast for the dwarves. Thorin hailed as a hero.
- The day after the feast, the dwarves ready to leave for Erebor.
- Saruman agrees to an attack on Dol Guldor.
- The elves of Lothlorien ready for the attack.
- The dwarves walk through Dale and find the secret door.
- Bilbo finds the thrush and the sun shines upon the keyhole.
- Thorin sends Bilbo down to steal something.
- Bilbo sees Smaug and steals a cup, taking it back to Thorin.
- Smaug notices the cup is gone and bursts out of the mountain. He finds the ponies and eats them. Bombur has remained at the bottom of the mountain. They hurl him up with a rope and flee inside the door before Smaug scorches the side of the mountain.
- They send Bilbo back down to find the Arkenstone. Smaug smells him this time. Bilbo flatters Smaug until he can find the Arkenstone, at the same time seeing Smaug’s weak spot.
- Smaug deduces Bilbo is from Laketown and so flies off to destroy it.
First Appearances – Smaug, Master of Laketown, Girion (flashback)
Adapted from chapters ‘A Warm Welcome’, ‘On the Doorstep’ and ‘Inside Information’ in The Hobbit and Appendix B of Lord of the Rings.
- Conversation with Smaug – J.R.R. Tolkien
- Laketown – J.R.R. Tolkien
- Abusing Hospitality – Henning Janssen
- When the Thrush Knocks – Ted Nasmith
- Scouring the Mountain – Ted Nasmith
- Smaug the Destroyer – Ted Nasmith
- The White Council leads the army of Lothlorien to Dol Guldor.
- The White Council defeat the orcs of Dol Guldor and drive out Sauron.
- Bolg leads an army of orcs and wargs past Beorn’s lands.
- Gandalf leaves the White Council.
- Gandalf comes across Bolg’s army on the borders of Mirkwood. He turns east and rides through the forest.
- Smaug hurls boulders and flames against the secret door.
- He flies towards Laketown
- Bilbo finds the thrush and writes a message for it to find Bard.
- Smaug comes upon Laketown. He flames the entire town, killing many.
- Bard and his men shoot at Smaug, but the arrows deflect off him.
- The thrush finds Bard with the message. Bard finds Smaug’s weak spot and hits it with his Black Arrow.
- Smaug dies, falling upon the town.
- The dwarves go down and discover the gold. Thorin gifts Bilbo with a Mithril coat.
- Through the front gate they see the destruction of Laketown.
- The survivors reach the shore. The people hail Bard.
- The raft-elves come upon them. Bard tells of Smaug’s death.
- A messenger comes to Thranduil, informing him of Smaug’s death.
- Bard argues with the Master about their direction. The people side with Bard and drive the Master away.
- Thranduil and his elves come to Esgaroth and help the survivors.
- Thranduil talks with Bard about the dwarves and their gold. They both agree they deserve portions.
Death – Smaug
Adapted from chapters ‘Not at Home’, ‘Fire and Water’ and ‘The Gathering of the Clouds’ in The Hobbit and Appendix B of Lord of the Rings.
- Gathering of the Clouds – David Wyatt
- Attack on Dol Guldur – Angus McBride
- Bilbo and the Thrush – Alarie
- Alert the Folk – John Howe
- The Black Arrow – Ted Nasmith
- Gandalf and Erebor – minenanoah
- Bilbo wakes up to find the battle over.
- Gandalf finds Bilbo and takes him to the camps.
- Bilbo finds Thorin dying. Thorin repents his actions and greed before he dies.
- Thorin is buried in Erebor, with the Arkenstone and Orcrist upon his chest.
- Dain is crowned King Under the Mountain. He gives 1/14th of the treasure to Bard to rebuild Dale.
- Bilbo says goodbye to the dwarves
- Bilbo leaves with Gandalf, Thranduil and Beorn.
- Bilbo narrates the rebuild of Dale, leaving Beorn and returning to Rivendell.
- Elrond offers Bilbo a home at Rivendell, but Bilbo chooses to return home.
- Bilbo digs up the treasure left at the troll’s cave.
- Bilbo returns to Bag End to find the Sackville-Baggins selling off his possessions.
- Bilbo tries to convince everyone that he’s not dead.
- (T.A. 2949-2980)
- Gandalf and Balin visit Bilbo at Bag End.
- Bilbo adopts his young cousin, Frodo.
- Bilbo begins writing the Red Book of Westmarch.
First Appearances – Frodo Baggins, Lobelia Sackville-Baggins, Otho Sackville-Baggins, Gaffer Gamgee, Ted Sandyman, Farmer Cotton
Death – Thorin
Adapted from the chapters ‘The Return Journey’ and ‘The Last Stage’ of The Hobbit and Appendix B of Lord of the Rings.
- The Return Journey – Charles Burggraf
- Beorn Finds Thorin – Joona Kujanen
- The Death of Thorin – John Howe
- Balin – Turner Mohan
- Visit to Bilbo – Alan Lee
- Many Paths to Tread – Jef Murray
Season 6 will be the last to cover The Silmarillion. It will consist mostly of Akallabeth and extra material featured in Unfinished Tales. The main story is the Downfall of Numenor and the Last Alliance, which will be the bulk of this season. The first couple of episodes will cover the establishment of Numenor, the making of the Rings of Power and the War of the Elves and Sauron. These events will be streamlined a little to compensate for time constraints. Other events covered would include the establishment of the great kingdoms and cities of Middle-Earth, including Lindon, Eregion, Lothlorien, Gondor, Arnor and Imladris, as well as the disaster of Gladden Fields, the coming of the Istari and the expansion of Khazad-Dum.
Elrond takes over as narrator, as Maglor is no longer involved in the events of the story.
Prologue – Rivendell (Third Age)
- Having heard the tale of Earendil, the children of Elrond are now keen to know the stories of the Second Age. So Elrond begins the tale of the men of his brother, Elros.
Valinor (Second Age Y. 1)
- The Valar convene again. They give the returned elves the Isle of Eressea to dwell in and build the tower of Avallone.
- Manwe declares that due to the destruction of Beleriand the Valar will never again intervene in the affairs of Middle Earth.
- Manwe sends Eonwe to give the Edain that fought in the War of Wrath their reward.
- Gil-Galad establishes a kingdom in Lindon.
- Elros and the Edain dwell here for a while.
- Eonwe arrives with messages from the Valar. He reveals a new land has been raised for the Edain.
- Elros says goodbye to Elrond and the elves and leads his men over the sea, following the Star of Earendil.
Numenor (S.A. 32-442)
- Osse raises the island from the sea. Aule and Yavanna model it and give it life.
- Elros arrives and establishes the Kingdom of Numenor.
- From Meneltarma, the highest peak on Numenor, Elros gazes upon the light of Valinor and the tower of Avallone.
- (Building of the Kingdom of Numenor)
- Death of Elros and creation of the line of the Lords of Andunie.
Lindon (S.A. 750-1200)
- Many elves, including Celebrimbor, Galadriel, Celeborn and Oropher, leave Lindon to found their own colonies.
- Celebrimbor comes across a tall man calling himself Annatar.
First Appearances – Oropher, Thanduil, Celebrian
Death – Elros
Adapted from chapters ‘Akallabeth’ and ‘Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age’ from The Silmarillion, ‘The History of Galadriel and Celeborn’, ‘A Description of the Island of Numenor’ and ‘The Line of Elros’ from Unfinished Tales, Appendices A and B of ‘The Lord of the Rings’ and ‘The Tales of Years of the Second Age’ from The Peoples of Middle-earth.
- Numenor Map – Narfil Palurfalas
- The End of the Age – Ted Nasmith
- Numenor – Feliche
- Ost-in-edhil – ?
- Annatar – Alais
- King Tar-Minastir sails to Lindon with many thousands.
- Elrond is besieged in Imladris.
- The Dunedain defeat Sauron and lift the Siege of Imladris.
- Sauron flees back to Mordor
- Sauron reveals he has captured the remaining Rings. He gives them to men and dwarves who trust him.
- Glorfindel returns to Middle-Earth, bringing with him the Blue wizards.
- The first White Council is held. Glorfindel introduces the Istari to the Council, detailing their mission.
- Elrond first meets Celebrian, the daughter of Galadriel and Celeborn.
- The King’s Men, under Pharazon, return from battling Sauron in Middle-Earth.
- The King’s Men speak out against the Valar and the elves.
- The Faithful, led by Amandil and his son Elendil, tend to the fading White Tree and to the Hallow of Eru.
- King Tar-Palantir repents for the actions of past Kings and seeks the forgiveness of the Valar, but it does not come.
- The majority of the Numenoreans remain against the Valar, encouraged by Pharazon.
- Sauron claims his title as King of Men. He releases the Nazgul to terrorise the people of Middle-Earth.
First Appearances – Tar-Palantir, Pharazon, Amandil, Elendil, Isildur, Anarion, Miriel, The Witch-King, Alatar, Pallando
Deaths – Tar-Minastir, Ciryatur, Narvi, Durin III
- White Tree of Numenor
- Imladris – Eric Faure-Brac
- Glorfindel – Liga Klavina
- At the Foot of the Meneltarma – Jef Murray
- Black Riders – John Howe
The final episode of Season 6 and The Silmarillion part of the series will be another feature-length film like Wrath, around 90 – 120 minutes in length, theoretically. It will cover the entire War of the Last Alliance. The war will have to be simplified to fit in with time constraints so not all seven years of the Siege of Barad-Dur will be detailed fully. Several events leading up to and after the war will be streamlined as well.
- Gil-Galad and Cirdan’s army meets with Elendil and Isildur’s army at Amon Sul
- The Last Alliance camps in Rivendell.
- Elrond sends out riders to Khazad-Dum, Lothlorien and Greenwood.
- Isildur says farewell to his wife and youngest son.
- The Last Alliance crosses the Misty Mountains and meets with the armies of Amdir of Lothlorien, Oropher of Greenwood and the dwarves of Khazad-Dum.
- Anarion confers with Elendil through the Palantir.
- Sauron watches the armies gather through the Palantir stolen from Minas Ithil.
- Anarion’s army marches north.
- The Last Alliance halts in front of the Black Gate. They are joined by Anarion. Isildur curses the men who did not honour their oath.
- Sauron’s army attacks. Gil-Galad orders the lines to hold. Amdir and Oropher refuse to take orders from the Noldor and attack the orcs. Oropher is killed and Amdir is forced to flee, later drowning in the marshes.
- Thranduil takes command of the Greenwood army.
- Gil-Galad and Elendil defeat Sauron’s first wave and besiege the Black Gate. They manage to climb it and open it. They enter Mordor.
- The Last Alliance march to Barad-Dur. They set up camp upon Gorgoroth.
- Elendil challenges Sauron to come forth. In response Sauron sends fire raining down from Barad-Dur.
- Elendil orders siege weapons to break down Barad-Dur’s gates and towers, but the tower is too strong to be broken.
- Anarion is killed by a rock thrown from the tower.
- All of Sauron’s forces flee the battle. Elendil challenges Sauron once more.
- Sauron leads his last forces out of the tower, breaking through the lines.
- Sauron destroys hundreds of elves and men before reaching Elendil and Gil-Galad.
- Elendil and Gil-Galad duel with Sauron. Elendil runs Sauron through with Narsil but is cast off, Narsil breaking under him. Gil-Galad then pierces Sauron’s neck with Aeglos, but is crushed and burned by Sauron’s body.
- Isildur takes the hilt of Narsil and cuts the Ring from Sauron’s hand, destroying his body.
- Barad-Dur’s tower falls, but its foundations remain.
- The remaining orcs and Easterlings flee.
- Elrond and Cirdan order Isildur to destroy the Ring, but he chooses not to.
- The thousands of dead are buried at Dagorlad.
- Cirdan offers Elrond the title of High King of the Noldor. Elrond does not take it. The Noldor are left without a King.
- The White Tree is planted.
- Isildur is killed while journeying back to Arnor. The Ring is lost.
- Ohtar brings the shards of Narsil to Rivendell. Elrond takes care of Isildur’s youngest son.
- Elrond marries Celebrian
- Gandalf, Saruman and Radagast arrive. They are greeted by Cirdan and Glorfindel.
- The Blue Wizards journey East, never to return.
- Sauron’s spirit reforms.
First Appearances – Gandalf (Istari), Saruman (Istari), Radagast
Deaths – Elendil, Gil-Galad, Isildur, Anarion, Oropher, Amdir, Elendur, Aratan. Ciryan
- Sauron – War of the Last Alliance – Matt DeMino
- Elf Last Alliance – Angel Falto
- The Battle of Dagorlad – Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, Dir, Peter Jackson. New Line Cinema.
- Battle of the Last Alliance – entar0178
- I Behold – Abe Papakhian
- Isildur and the Ring – Abe Papakhian
- Istari Arrival on Ship – Alice Falto
Season 5 will be the last season covering Quenta Silmarillion and the First Age. All major stories of Beleriand will be tied up and Maglor’s tales will end with the reveal of the full relationship between he and Elrond and the events that led to their meeting. Season 5 covers Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin, Earendil and the War of Wrath as well as the Second and Third Kinslayings in Doriath and the Havens of Sirion. The last episode and climax of the First Age is outlined as a feature-length film. Unfortunately many details of the War of Wrath itself have to be created for the series as there is precious little descriptions in the published text.
- Maglor returns to the sea, passing by a familiar hill. Elrond catches up with him, demanding to know the full story of his father, the Oath and their time together. Elrond believes he is owed an explanation of Maglor’s actions, something he believes he did not get when he was young.
- Turgon meets with Tuor and appoints him leader of the House of the Swan Wing.
- Idril walks through the city with a young Earendil.
- Maeglin leaves Gondolin for the mines.
- Celegorm urges an attack on Doriath. Maedhros refuses and instead sends a demand for it to be returned.
- Dior rules Doriath while raising his two sons and his daughter.
- Dior receives the demand for the Silmaril. As an insult to the sons of Feanor, he chooses to send no answer.
- Unwilling to await the wrath of Maedhros, Galadriel wishes to leave with Celeborn for the Havens of Sirion.
- Morgoth reveals to Sauron that he knows the location of Gondolin from the cries of Hurin.
- Sauron sends out orcs to scout the mountains for an entrance to Gondolin.
The Havens of Sirion
- Cirdan sends ships to the west in an attempt to contact the Valar.
- After receiving no reply, Maedhros grants Celegorm leave to assemble a force to attack Doriath.
Adapted from chapters ‘Of the Ruin of Doriath’ and ‘Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin’ from The Silmarillion, ‘Of Tuor and His Coming to Gondolin’ from Unfinished Tales and ‘The Fall of Gondolin’ from The Book of Lost Tales.
- The Harp No Longer Sings – Jenny Dolfen
- Maglor and Elrond – Mintkim
- Idril and Earendil – RobeleskaZeppelin
- The Nauglamir is Returned to Dior Eluchil – Paula DiSante
(15 years later)
- Cirdan and Gil-Galad live on the Isle of Balar. Tuor and Earendil lead the people of the Havens.
- Earendil and Elwing wed.
- Tuor builds a ship in secret. He reveals to Idril he can no longer bear the longing for the sea that he has had since his meeting with Ulmo.
- Tuor meets with Cirdan and Gil-Galad, revealing his intentions to sail away and leave lordship of the Havens to Earendil.
- Tuor and Idril hold a feast where they announce their leave. In the morning they say goodbye to Earendil and Elwing and leave in their ship.
- Earendil meets with Cirdan about the possibility of sailing to Valinor. He is told of their previous attempts.
- Cirdan however, agrees to help build Earendil a ship.
- Many years pass. Elwing gives birth to twin sons, Elrond and Elros.
- Earendil and Cirdan build their ship, Vingilot, upon which Earendil sails through many seas and to many isles.
- Earendil returns to the Havens, where he stays with his sons for a while, but not long. He meets with Cirdan again and leaves to search for Valinor.
- Earendil with his small crew searches in vain for Valinor and Tuor.
- Maedhros hunts in the wild, but ever his Oath torments him. He returns to Amon Ereb and calls Maglor and Amras to their oaths once more.
- Maedhros sends messengers to the Havens of friendship, asking for them to yield the Silmaril.
- Elwing refuses to yield the Silmaril, not while Earendil is at sea.
- Maedhros will not wait any longer. He, with his brothers and followers, set out for The Havens.
First Appearance – Elros, Aerandir, Erellont, Falathar
Adapted from chapters ‘Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin’ and ‘The Voyage of Earendil and the War of Wrath’ from The Silmarillion, ‘The History of Galadriel and Celeborn’ from Unfinished Tales and ‘The Wanderings of Hurin and Other Writings’ from The War of the Jewels.
- Earendil the Mariner – Ted Nasmith
- Elwing and Earendil – zdrava
- Vingilot – Billy Masig
- But Elwing Was Not With Him – Dapplehack