- The Witch-King reports back to Sauron about Aragorn, Isildur’s heir. Sauron is noticeably concerned. He commands the Witch-King to find Frodo and prepare the army to attack Gondor, Rohan and the North.
- Scouts report to Eomer of the orc band coming down from Emyn Muil.
- Eomer seeks permission to hunt the orcs down. Grima and Theoden forbid it.
- Eomer talks to Eowyn about Grima’s treachery before heading out to hunt the orcs late at night.
Plains of Rohan
- Merry and Pippin lie captive. Pippin listens to the orcs, realising there are two groups arguing. The orcs fight, killing several of their own.
- Pippin cuts his bonds, tying them loosely around his wrists. The hobbits are picked up again and carried on.
- Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli come across the slain orcs. They continue on.
- Pippin breaks free, but is caught. Before he is caught he places a broach in the road. Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli come across this soon after.
Borders of Fangorn
- Grishnakh searches the hobbits for the Ring.
- Merry, imitating Gollum, leads Grishnakh to believe they have the Ring. He tries to escape with them.
- Eomer and his riders come upon the orcs. They kill all of them, including Grishnakh. Eomer personally kills Ugluk.
- Merry and Pippin run into Fangorn forest.
Plains of Rohan
- Aragorn comes across Eomer the morning after. Eomer tells of the slaughter of the orcs, having seen no hobbits. They lend Aragorn two horses.
Borders of Fangorn
- Aragorn finds the slaughtered orcs and the graves of 12 Rohirrim soldiers, but no sign of Merry and Pippin.
- Gimli sees an old man in the forest, who vanishes along with their horses.
- Aragorn finds cut rope, a Lorien leaf and hobbit prints. They follow the prints deeper into the forest.
- Grimbold and Elfhelm come to Edoras with Theodred’s body.
First Appearances – Grishnakh, Snaga, Theoden, Eomer, Eowyn, Grima Wormtongue, Eothain, Fastred
Deaths – Ugluk, Grishnakh, Snaga
Adapted from chapters ‘The Riders of Rohan’, ‘The Uruk-Hai’
- The Riders of Rohan – Turner Mohan
- Sauron and the Witch-King – Angel Falto
- Grima Wormtongue – John Howe
- Orc Hunting 2 – Alan Lee
- Orc Hunting – Alan Lee
- The Elven Brooch – Anke Eissmann
- Rohirrim Attack – Jan Pospisil
- Aragorn Meets the Rohirrim – Venlian
- Searching for Merry and Pippin – Anke Eissmann
- Saruman sends out his army of 10,000 uruks to attack Rohan.
Fords of Isen
- Erkenbrand leads the Rohirrim against Saruman’s army. He is defeated.
- Gandalf and the others continue towards Edoras.
- Legolas sees Edoras in the distance one morning. They proceed with caution.
- They come to Meduseld. The guards say they are not welcome, by order of Wormtongue. Gandalf becomes angry and demands to speak with Theoden. They are allowed inside, without weapons.
- Wormtongue lashes out at Gandalf, who brings thunder down upon him.
- Gandalf frees Theoden from Wormtongue’s influence. Theoden recovers his mind.
- Theoden calls for his guards to release Eomer.
- Theoden confronts Grima, accusing him of treason. He gives Grima the choice of fighting alongside the army or leaving the country. Grima leaves.
- Theoden reunites with Eomer and Eowyn.
- Bregalad translates the words of the Entmoot to Merry and Pippin.
- Suddenly, the Entmoot lets out a mighty roar. Merry and Pippin see the trees move around them.
- Treebeard takes Merry and Pippin and announces that the Ents are going to Isengard. The entire forest begins to move.
- Theoden visits the grave of Theodred. He expresses his regret in not being there for his son.
- Aragorn becomes friends with Eowyn.
- Theoden declares war on Isengard. He orders Eomer to assemble the army and prepare to ride west.
- Grimbold returns with news that the Fords of Isen are lost. 10,000 uruks have invaded Rohan.
- Theoden, Aragorn, Gandalf, Eowyn, Eomer, Legolas and Gimli debate their next move. Theoden decides to ride against the uruks at the Fords of Isen. Eowyn wishes to ride with them, but Theoden orders her to remain in Edoras to look after the people.
- Theoden leads the army from Edoras.
First Appearances – Erkenbrand, Guthlaf, Deorwine, Hama, Ceorl, Gleowine
Adapted from chapters ‘Treebeard’ and ‘The King of the Golden Hall’ of The Lord of the Rings and ‘The Battles of the Fords of Isen’ from Unfinished Tales.
- Edoras – Jef Murray
- On the Way to Edoras – Anke Eissmann
- Eowyn Before the Gates of Meduseld – Michael Kaluta
- Theoden and Eowyn – Angelo Montanini
- Gandalf Judges Grima Wormtongue – Anke Eissmann
- Entmoot – Michael Kaluta
- The Stirrup Cup – Anke Eissmann
- The Riders of Rohan – Ted Nasmith
- Aragorn’s goodbye with Eowyn leads him to remember Arwen.
- Arwen speaks with Elrond about aiding Aragorn. Elrond replies there is nothing they can do.
- Halbarad and the Dunedain rangers come to Rivendell. Arwen asks them to give Aragorn her standard. Elrond requests they find and aid Aragorn. He sends Elladan and Elrohir with them, with a message to take the Paths of the Dead.
- Theoden rides south of Isen. They find many slain.
- Gandalf sees the uruk army from afar. He returns to talk with Theoden. He convinces Theoden to ride to Helm’s Deep and await him there.
- Gandalf leaves without reason.
- Theoden and the army arrive at Helm’s Deep
- Aragorn finds little provisions at Helm’s Deep. He prepares the men for battle quickly.
- Scouts report that the uruk army is heading towards the Hornburg. Aragorn, Eomer and Theoden discuss battle plans.
- As night falls, the army is seen on the horizon.
- Theoden commands Gamling to defend Helm’s Dike. They kill many orcs, but they are forced to retreat.
- Eomer arrays the men on the tower and deeping wall.
- The uruk-hai surge towards the wall. They fire arrows, but get no response until they are very close. The first volley of arrows and rocks from the men force the orcs to break rank.
- The biggest orcs form to try and break the gate. They are scattered by a sortie led by Aragorn, Eomer and Gimli.
- The men barricade the gate as the orcs raise ladders to climb the wall. Aragorn and Eomer push the weary men to keep fighting.
- A small party of orcs creep through the culvert and attack the men from behind. Gimli and the men push them back, barricading the culvert.
- The wall is breached by blasting fire and many orcs pour in to the deep.
- Eomer and Gimli lead men to combat the orcs, but they are overrun and retreat into the Glittering Caves.
- Theoden orders the men off the wall. Aragorn and Legolas lead them up the stair to the keep, Aragorn being nearly overcome by orcs.
- Hama is killed before the gate and his body hacked to pieces.
- Gimli beholds the glory of the Glittering Caves
- Aragorn and Theoden debate their next move. Aragorn attempts a parley but is shot at.
- The uruks use blasting fire to damage the gate, eventually destroying it.
- Theoden leads the remaining riders out of the gate into the invading uruks. They push the orcs out of the keep.
- As the orcs are distracted, Eomer and Gimli lead the men out of the Glittering Caves, forcing the orcs from the deep.
- As the orcs retreat past Helm’s Dike, Gandalf appears leading a thousand of Erkenbrand’s men. The orcs are gripped with fear and flee into a waiting forest of Huorns.
First Appearance – Gamling, Halbarad
Deaths – Hama, Ceorl
Adapted from chapters ‘The King of the Golden Hall’, ‘Helm’s Deep’ and ‘The Passing of the Grey Company’ of The Lord of the Rings.
- Helm’s Deep – Jeremy Bennett
- Elrond and Arwen – Soni Alcorn-Hender
- Legolas and Gimli – Anke Eissmann
- The Battle of Helm’s Deep – Toby Carr
- Helm’s Deep – John Howe
- The Battle at Helm’s Deep – Alan Lee
- The Charge of the Rohirrim at Helm’s Deep – John Howe
- Sauron sees Pippin in the Palantir. He questions about the Ring, but is cut off. He orders the Nazgul to make for Isengard.
Gap of Rohan
- Gandalf takes the Palantir and chastises Pippin.
- Gandalf explains the Palantir and how Saruman was corrupted by it.
- They debate their next move, with Gandalf noting that the confusion caused by Pippin could work to their advantage.
- Sam helps Frodo up the last part of the Winding Stair. Gollum shows where to go next: a dark tunnel.
- Despite the terrible smell and the possibility of orcs, Frodo and Sam enter.
- The hobbits can only move forward by feeling the walls. They call out for Gollum, but he has disappeared.
- Frodo and Sam continue on. Frodo begins to feel an overwhelming sense of dread.
- They hear scurrying and hissing around them. They feel dead bodies beneath their feet. Frodo raises the Phial of Galadriel.
- The light illuminates hundreds of eyes. As they move closer, they are revealed to belong to a giant spider, Shelob.
- Frodo walks towards the eyes, which retreat from the light.
- Frodo and Sam flee, but are blocked by strong cobwebs. Frodo cuts them with Sting and they head for the exit.
- Sam sees orcs ahead and tries to warn Frodo. Shelob attacks, cutting off Sam. Sam goes to save Frodo but is dragged away by Gollum.
- Shelob attacks Frodo, who fights but is poisoned and falls unconscious.
- Sam fights against Gollum. He threatens to stab him and Gollum flees.
- Sam attacks Shelob, who is over Frodo’s body. He sees Frodo, seemingly dead, wrapped in web.
- Sam struggles with the spider, stabbing it in the eye. Shelob overpowers him, but Sam stabs her in the belly. Shelob flees.
- Sam checks Frodo’s heartbeat, but finds nothing.
- Sam thinks Frodo is dead and takes the Ring. He hears orc voices coming.
Gap of Rohan
- A Nazgul flies over the group, forcing them to hide.
- Gandalf predicts that Sauron will move to attack Minas Tirith. He advises Theoden and Aragorn to ride to Gondor. He gives Aragorn the Palantir.
- Gandalf takes Pippin with him and leaves on Shadowfax.
- An army again approaches Lothlorien. Galadriel says unless Sauron is defeated they will eventually be overrun.
- Eowyn receives word that the men were victorious, yet the riders say Theoden may yet ride to Gondor. Eowyn prepares for them to leave for Dunharrow.
- Elrond and Glorfindel talk about the fate of Middle-Earth. Elrond decides to prepare his elves to leave for the Grey Havens.
- Sam puts on the Ring. The orcs take Frodo. Sam overhears them talking about Shelob’s poison and how it paralyses, not kills.
- Sam follows the orcs into Mordor.
- The Witch-King’s army moves towards Osgiliath, where Faramir awaits.
First Appearances – Shelob, Gorbag, Shagrat
Death – Shelob
Adapted from chapters ‘The Palantir’, ‘Shelob’s Lair’ and ‘The Choices of Master Samwise’ and Appendix B of The Lord of the Rings
- Shelob – John Howe
- Sauron Speaks With Palantir – Hive17
- Shelob’s Lair – Rob Alexander
- Shelob About to Leap on Frodo – John Howe
- Sam and Shelob – John Howe
- Shelob’s Retreat – Ted Nasmith
- The Choices of Master Samwise – Turner Mohan
- Gandalf on Shadowfax Before Minas Tirith – Luca Michelucci
- Council of War – MelorianJ
- Sam Enters Mordor Alone – Ted Nasmith
- Denethor comes down from the Tower of Ecthelion. He orders the beacons of Gondor lit. He summons Hirgon and gives him the Red Arrow, commanding him to ride to Edoras.
- Gandalf and Pippin ride through the night. They see Nazgul overhead but remain out of sight.
- Aragorn tells the others he must go to Minas Tirith by a darker road.
- They ride towards Edoras. In the night they come across thirty rangers, along with Halbarad, Elladan and Elrohir.
- Theoden welcomes them. Elrohir gives Aragorn Arwen’s standard and Elrond’s message to seek the Paths of the Dead.
- Gandalf talks to Eowyn at Edoras before leaving for Minas Tirith.
- Eowyn sends out riders to call the King’s banners. She rides for Dunharrow.
- Theoden and the others return to Helm’s Deep.
- Gimli and Legolas take Merry around the Hornburg.
- Merry offers his services to Theoden. Theoden accepts.
- Theoden commands Eomer to muster the army.
- Aragorn looks into the Palantir. He reveals himself as Isildur’s heir to Sauron. Sauron shows him the Corsairs of Umbar.
- As Theoden prepares to leave for Edoras, Aragorn announces he will take the Paths of the Dead. Merry and Eomer say goodbye to Aragorn. Theoden and his riders set out.
- Legolas, Gimli, Halbarad and the sons of Elrond swear to follow Aragorn.
- Gandalf and Pippin see the warning beacons of Gondor.
- They reach Minas Tirith. They ride up to the seventh level.
- They speak with Denethor, who reveals his knowledge of Boromir’s death. Pippin explains how he died.
- Denethor talks to Pippin of Boromir. Pippin offers his service to Denethor. Denethor accuses Gandalf of manipulation.
- Gandalf leaves with Pippin, explaining the history of kings and stewards.
- Pippin checks on Shadowfax, meeting Beregond. Beregond shows Pippin the city, giving him the passwords to the gates and introducing him to the Third Company.
- Beregond’s son, Bergil, shows Pippin the Great Gate. Reinforcements arrive, led by Imrahil.
- Faramir sees Nazgul fly over the city, followed by a great cloud of darkness.
First Appearances – Beregond, Imrahil, Bergil, Hirgon, Golasgil, Hirluin, Forlong, Duinhir, Duilin, Derufin, Dervorin, Ingold
Adapted from chapters ‘Minas Tirith’, ‘The Passing of the Grey Company’ and ‘The Muster of Rohan’ of The Lord of the Rings.
- Minas Tirith at Dawn – Ted Nasmith
- Halbarad – Quinton Hoover
- The Lady’s Gift – Anke Eissmann
- The Glittering Caves of Aglarond – Ted Nasmith
- Aragorn and the Palantir – Magali Villeneuve
- Gandalf Approaches the Guarded City – John Howe
- Denethor, Steward of Minas Tirith – Alan Lee
- Imrahil – Donato Giancola
- An army ambushes the city at Cair Andros and overruns it.
- Aragorn and the Grey Company come to Dunharrow. They find Theoden has not arrived.
- Aragorn meets with Eowyn again. She welcomes the Grey Company with supper.
- Eowyn attempts to dissuade Aragorn from the Paths of the Dead. When she fails, she asks to accompany him herself. Aragorn will not allow it.
- The Grey Company leave at daybreak. Eowyn watches them, standing still as stone.
- Shagrat strips Frodo of all his effects. He has orders to take them to Barad-Dur. Gorbag attempts to take the mithril shirt.
- Shagrat takes Frodo to the top of the tower. Gorbag begins a fight with Shagrat’s orcs.
- Sam approaches the gate of Cirith Ungol. He sees Mt Doom.
- Sam takes off the Ring. He cannot pass the gate. He uses the Phial of Galadriel and passes. The statues of the Watchers cry out.
- Sam sees the bodies of the orcs. He continues up the tower. He encounters orcs, including Shagrat, who flees.
- Sam follows an orc into a secret chamber. He kills the orc and finds Frodo.
- Frodo is delighted to see Sam, but calls him a thief when he sees the Ring. He apologises soon after. Sam finds orc armour and they put it on.
- Aragorn leads the company to a dark door. Despite their fear, they all follow Aragorn into the Paths of the Dead.
The Paths of the Dead
- Gimli is the last to enter. He hurries to catch up. They come to a clearing, where a skeleton lies. Aragorn kneels at the body but suddenly stands and addresses the darkness to follow.
- Legolas and Elladan say they see the dead following.
- With the Phial, Frodo and Sam move past the Watchers and into Mordor.
First Appearance – Snaga (II)
Death – Gorbag, Snaga
Adapted from chapters ‘The Passing of the Grey Company’ and ‘The Tower of Cirith Ungol’ and Appendix B of The Lord of the RIngs.
- Across Gorgoroth – Ted Nasmith
- Aragorn & Eowyn – Alan Lee
- Passing of the Grey Company – JeiWo
- Cirith Ungol – Robert Goldsmith
- Perfect Little Orcs – Olanda Fong-Surdenas
- The Door to the Dead – Anke Eissmann
- The King of the Oathbreakers – Ted Nasmith
- Nazgul over Cirith Ungol – Alan Lee
- Darkness fully covers the sky over Gondor.
- The Witch-King’s army attacks the western side of Osgiliath.
- Theoden and his riders reach Dunharrow and meet with Eowyn.
- At dinner, a man enters the tent. He presents the Red Arrow to Theoden. Theoden says he will send six thousand spears to Gondor.
- The next day Theoden commands Eomer to call the heralds.
- Theoden commands Erkenbrand to guard Rohan.
- Theoden orders Merry to stay behind, despite his protests.
- Eowyn dresses Merry in armour.
- The riders assemble. Theoden bids them to move out. He and Eomer say goodbye to Eowyn and Merry.
- As the host rides out, a young rider named Dernhelm offers to take Merry with him.
- Imrahil talks with Gandalf about Denethor and the defence of the city.
- Beregond and Pippin see the darkness covering the land. In the distance they see Nazgul.
- Faramir and his men flee Osgiliath, the Nazgul pursue.
- Gandalf rides to Faramir’s aid. The Nazgul turn back.
- As Faramir returns, he is shocked to see Pippin. He tells Gandalf of his encounter with Frodo and the path of Cirith Ungol.
- Denethor criticises Faramir’s judgement. Gandalf argues with Denethor about the Ring.
- The next morning, Denethor gathers his Council. He is unwilling to abandon the defences and sends Faramir to defend the Rammas Echor.
- Gandalf warns Faramir not to throw his life away. After counsel with Imrahil and Pippin, Gandalf follows Faramir to the walls.
First Appearances – Hurin of the Keys, Targon
Adapted from chapters ‘The Muster of Rohan’ and ‘The Siege of Gondor’ of The Lord of the Rings.
- Ride to Gondor – Abe Papakhian
- Osgiliath – Nimrowen
- The Red Arrow – Paula Disante
- Theoden’s Army on the Road to Dunharrow – Roger Garland
- Dernhelm – Matthew Stewart
- Nazgul at the Walls – Ted Nasmith
- Faramir Tells of Frodo and Sam – Anke Eissmann
- A Bitter Farewell – Anke Eissmann