- An orc pack attacks Thranduil’s Realm. Gollum escapes.
- Thranduil sends Legolas to Rivendell with news of the escape.
- Black riders destroy the hobbits’ room.
- Sam finds the ponies missing. They buy a malnourished pony from Bill Ferny.
- Aragorn leads the hobbits away from Bree, with the town watching.
- Aragorn strays from the road and takes the hobbits through the marshes.
- Gandalf comes to Bree. He berates Barliman for not sending the letter on. He leaves again.
- Gandalf rides to Weathertop. He sees no sign of the hobbits, but is ambushed by the black riders.
- Frodo sees bright lightning and flashes of light in the distance. Aragorn says it appears to be coming from Weathertop.
- The next day Aragorn and the hobbits arrive at Weathertop. They find a camp and runes on the top, leading them to suspect Gandalf was there.
- They camp on the side of the hill, where Aragorn tells stories of Luthien.
- Black riders invade the clearing. Frodo puts on the Ring and gets stabbed in the shoulder. Aragorn drives off the Ringwraiths with fire.
- Aragorn tries to heal the wound with athelas. He leads the hobbits away from Weathertop.
- Aragorn finds an elfstone in the road. They come upon the stone trolls.
Ford of Bruinen
- Hearing hooves, they hide. The rider is Glorfindel, of Gondolin. He puts Frodo on his horse and leads them on.
- Hearing black riders behind them, Glorfindel calls his horse to carry Frodo across the Ford. At the Ford, Frodo turns back and defies the Ringwraiths. Glorfindel comes up behind them and they begin to cross the river. A rush of water engulfs them.
- Frodo falls unconscious.
First Appearance – Bill Ferny
Adapted from chapters ‘A Knife in the Dark’, ‘Flight to the Ford’ and ‘The Council of Elrond’ of The Lord of the Rings.
- Black Rider – John Howe
- Gollum Flees the Mirkwood Elves – John Howe
- Fire on Weathertop – Ted Nasmith
- Midgewater Marshes – Anna Kulisz
- Against the Shadow – John Howe
- Glorfindel – Liga Klavina
- Flight to the Ford – John Howe
- History of the Shire and Hobbits
- History of Erebor and Smaug
The Shire (Third Age Y. 2941)
- Gandalf introduces himself to Bilbo at Bag End.
- Bilbo declines Gandalf’s offer of adventure.
- The next night dwarves arrive in groups to Bilbo’s house for dinner.
- Gandalf arrives with the last dwarf, Thorin.
- Gandalf has volunteered Bilbo to be a burglar for Thorin’s quest – to take back Erebor.
- In the morning the dwarves are gone. Gandalf comes in and takes Bilbo to the dwarves. They set off.
- The company passes through Bree-land and Bilbo gets to know the dwarves.
- Gandalf educates Bilbo on the lands and peoples they pass.
- It begins to rain and Gandalf suddenly disappears.
- A fire is seen in the distance. Bilbo is sent to investigate.
- Bilbo is captured when he tries to take a money purse.
- The dwarves come in and are captured as well.
- As the trolls argue, another voice argues another point, which makes the trolls argue more. The sun comes out and turns them to stone. Gandalf reveals himself.
- Gandalf and Bilbo release the dwarves.
First Appearances – Bilbo Baggins, Thorin, Balin, Dwalin, Fili, Kili, Gloin, Oin, Dori, Nori, Ori, Bifur, Bofur, Bombur, William, Bert, Tom, Thror, Thrain
Deaths – William, Bert, Tom
Adapted from chapters ‘An Unexpected Party’ and ‘Roast Mutton’ from The Hobbit, ‘The Quest of Erebor’ in Unfinished Tales and Appendix B of Lord of the Rings.
- Once Upon a Time in Hobbiton – Dale Comte
- The Hall at Bag End, Residence of Bilbo Baggins Esquire – J.R.R. Tolkien
- An Unexpected Party – John Howe
- Left Comfort Behind – Suzy Almblad
- Trolls – Ted Nasmith
- The Three Trolls are Turned to Stone – J.R.R. Tolkien
- Bilbo wakes up to find the battle over.
- Gandalf finds Bilbo and takes him to the camps.
- Bilbo finds Thorin dying. Thorin repents his actions and greed before he dies.
- Thorin is buried in Erebor, with the Arkenstone and Orcrist upon his chest.
- Dain is crowned King Under the Mountain. He gives 1/14th of the treasure to Bard to rebuild Dale.
- Bilbo says goodbye to the dwarves
- Bilbo leaves with Gandalf, Thranduil and Beorn.
- Bilbo narrates the rebuild of Dale, leaving Beorn and returning to Rivendell.
- Elrond offers Bilbo a home at Rivendell, but Bilbo chooses to return home.
- Bilbo digs up the treasure left at the troll’s cave.
- Bilbo returns to Bag End to find the Sackville-Baggins selling off his possessions.
- Bilbo tries to convince everyone that he’s not dead.
- (T.A. 2949-2980)
- Gandalf and Balin visit Bilbo at Bag End.
- Bilbo adopts his young cousin, Frodo.
- Bilbo begins writing the Red Book of Westmarch.
First Appearances – Frodo Baggins, Lobelia Sackville-Baggins, Otho Sackville-Baggins, Gaffer Gamgee, Ted Sandyman, Farmer Cotton
Death – Thorin
Adapted from the chapters ‘The Return Journey’ and ‘The Last Stage’ of The Hobbit and Appendix B of Lord of the Rings.
- The Return Journey – Charles Burggraf
- Beorn Finds Thorin – Joona Kujanen
- The Death of Thorin – John Howe
- Balin – Turner Mohan
- Visit to Bilbo – Alan Lee
- Many Paths to Tread – Jef Murray