Prologue – Bree
- Gandalf meets Thorin in Bree. Thorin invites him to his halls in the Blue Mountains.
- Gandalf and the dwarves argue about Bilbo’s whereabouts.
- Bilbo finds the dwarves and surprises them.
- Goblins and wargs chase them down the mountains, led by Bolg.
- The company climb trees to escape them.
- Gwaihir, Lord of Eagles, hears the wargs and swoops down to save the dwarves.
- The company is taken back to the Eyrie. From there Gwaihir takes them to the Carrock.
- Gandalf leads them on to Beorn’s house. He informs them he will be leaving soon.
- Gandalf devises a plan – he will enter first with Bilbo and the other dwarves will come in two at a time.
- Beorn welcomes Gandalf and is interested in his story. He is not impressed with the dwarves but allows them to stay.
- Thorin tells Bilbo of Bolg, the son of Azog who killed his grandfather Thror and in turn was killed by Thorin’s cousin Dain.
- Beorn serves dinner. As the dwarves sleep he leaves to kill the goblins that have come east.
- Beorn sends them to Mirkwood with ponies, food and weapons.
- Gandalf leaves them on the borders of Mirkwood.
- The company sets out along the path, becoming disoriented with the darkness, sounds and animals of the forest.
- They come to the Enchanted River. They manage to pull the boat from the other side and cross the river. Bombur falls in the river, causing him to sleep. They are forced to carry him.
- Bilbo climbs up a tree to find where they are.
- Balin sees a light in the distance, they follow it.
- They find a group of elves feasting. As they step into the light it goes out and the elves disappear.
- Bilbo loses his companions. As he sleeps he is attacked by a spider.
First Appearances – Azog (flashback), Dain, Beorn, Gwaihir, Landroval
Adapted from chapters ‘Out of the Frying Pan and Into the Fire’, ‘Queer Lodgings’ and ‘Flies and Spiders’ of The Hobbit and ‘The Quest of Erebor’ in Unfinished Tales.
- At Beorn’s Hall – Ted Nasmith
- Gandalf and Thorin at Bree – Ted Nasmith
- Out of the Frying Pan and Into the Fire – HeathWind
- Beorn – Michael Hague
- Dain and Azog – Liz Danforth
- Elvish Feast in Mirkwood – ullako
- The White Council leads the army of Lothlorien to Dol Guldor.
- The White Council defeat the orcs of Dol Guldor and drive out Sauron.
- Bolg leads an army of orcs and wargs past Beorn’s lands.
- Gandalf leaves the White Council.
- Gandalf comes across Bolg’s army on the borders of Mirkwood. He turns east and rides through the forest.
- Smaug hurls boulders and flames against the secret door.
- He flies towards Laketown
- Bilbo finds the thrush and writes a message for it to find Bard.
- Smaug comes upon Laketown. He flames the entire town, killing many.
- Bard and his men shoot at Smaug, but the arrows deflect off him.
- The thrush finds Bard with the message. Bard finds Smaug’s weak spot and hits it with his Black Arrow.
- Smaug dies, falling upon the town.
- The dwarves go down and discover the gold. Thorin gifts Bilbo with a Mithril coat.
- Through the front gate they see the destruction of Laketown.
- The survivors reach the shore. The people hail Bard.
- The raft-elves come upon them. Bard tells of Smaug’s death.
- A messenger comes to Thranduil, informing him of Smaug’s death.
- Bard argues with the Master about their direction. The people side with Bard and drive the Master away.
- Thranduil and his elves come to Esgaroth and help the survivors.
- Thranduil talks with Bard about the dwarves and their gold. They both agree they deserve portions.
Death – Smaug
Adapted from chapters ‘Not at Home’, ‘Fire and Water’ and ‘The Gathering of the Clouds’ in The Hobbit and Appendix B of Lord of the Rings.
- Gathering of the Clouds – David Wyatt
- Attack on Dol Guldur – Angus McBride
- Bilbo and the Thrush – Alarie
- Alert the Folk – John Howe
- The Black Arrow – Ted Nasmith
- Gandalf and Erebor – minenanoah
- A raven, Roac, comes to Erebor, sent by Dain.
- Thorin observes the Elvenking’s armies. He sends Roac back with a message for Dain to bring a host of armoured dwarves.
- The dwarves fortify the gate of Erebor.
- Bard comes to speak with Thorin. Thorin refuses to give up any treasure and will not speak with Thranduil.
- Bilbo attempts to convince the dwarves against war.
- Bilbo takes the Arkenstone and sneaks down to the camps.
- Bilbo is found by Gandalf who takes him to Bard and Thranduil.
- Bilbo gives Thranduil the Arkenstone.
- The next day, Bard shows Thorin the Arkenstone.
- Thorin kicks Bilbo out of the mountain.
- Dain and his dwarves arrive but are blocked by Bard. The dwarves ready to attack.
- Gandalf stands between the armies and tells of Bolg coming from the north.
- The three armies protect the mountain against Bolg. The goblins gain the upper hand.
- Thorin leads the dwarves out of the mountain.
- The Eagles arrive.
- Thorin fights Bolg and is wounded gravely. Fili and Kili fall defending him.
- Beorn arrives and kills Bolg.
- Bilbo is hit on the head by a falling rock and is knocked out.
First Appearance – Roac
Deaths – Fili, Kili, Bolg
Adapted from the chapters ‘The Gathering of the Clouds’, ‘A Thief in the Night’ and ‘The Clouds Burst’ in The Hobbit.
- The Battle of Five Armies – John Blanche
- Thorin and Roac – John Howe
- The Siege of Erebor – Alan Lee
- The Arkenstone – Ulla Thynel
- The Battle of Five Armies – ‘The Last Stand of Thorin Oakenshield’ – Lucas Graciano
- Battle Under the Mountain – Matt Stewart
- Bilbo wakes up to find the battle over.
- Gandalf finds Bilbo and takes him to the camps.
- Bilbo finds Thorin dying. Thorin repents his actions and greed before he dies.
- Thorin is buried in Erebor, with the Arkenstone and Orcrist upon his chest.
- Dain is crowned King Under the Mountain. He gives 1/14th of the treasure to Bard to rebuild Dale.
- Bilbo says goodbye to the dwarves
- Bilbo leaves with Gandalf, Thranduil and Beorn.
- Bilbo narrates the rebuild of Dale, leaving Beorn and returning to Rivendell.
- Elrond offers Bilbo a home at Rivendell, but Bilbo chooses to return home.
- Bilbo digs up the treasure left at the troll’s cave.
- Bilbo returns to Bag End to find the Sackville-Baggins selling off his possessions.
- Bilbo tries to convince everyone that he’s not dead.
- (T.A. 2949-2980)
- Gandalf and Balin visit Bilbo at Bag End.
- Bilbo adopts his young cousin, Frodo.
- Bilbo begins writing the Red Book of Westmarch.
First Appearances – Frodo Baggins, Lobelia Sackville-Baggins, Otho Sackville-Baggins, Gaffer Gamgee, Ted Sandyman, Farmer Cotton
Death – Thorin
Adapted from the chapters ‘The Return Journey’ and ‘The Last Stage’ of The Hobbit and Appendix B of Lord of the Rings.
- The Return Journey – Charles Burggraf
- Beorn Finds Thorin – Joona Kujanen
- The Death of Thorin – John Howe
- Balin – Turner Mohan
- Visit to Bilbo – Alan Lee
- Many Paths to Tread – Jef Murray