- Gandalf comes to Lothlorien, where he meets the White Council.
- Gandalf tells of Thrain and Sauron in Dol Guldor and urges an attack.
- The dwarves are tied up in webs. Bilbo kills a spider and puts on the Ring. He calls his dagger ‘Sting’.
- Bilbo lures the spiders away and frees the dwarves.
- They find that Thorin is missing. The spiders return and the dwarves manage to kill them.
- As they are looking for Thorin they are captured by wood-elves. Bilbo evades capture.
- Thorin had been captured earlier and was brought before Thranduil.
- Thorin refuses to tell of his quest and is locked up with the others.
- Bilbo finds the dwarves and relays messages between them.
- Bilbo steals the keys from Thranduil’s drunk butler and frees the dwarves.
- Bilbo gets the dwarves into barrels. The elves come and push the barrels into the river.
- Bilbo grabs onto a barrel and rides down the river until they get to the Long Lake.
- The raft-elves find the barrels and load them onto the raft, where Bard takes them back to Laketown.
First Appearances – Bard, Legolas (not named), Haldir, Galion
Adapted from chapters ‘Flies and Spiders’ and ‘Barrels out of Bond’ of The Hobbit and Appendix B of Lord of the Rings.
- Guards of Mirkwood – Henning Janssen
- The Spiders of Mirkwood – Ted Nasmith
- Blindfolded – Henning Janssen
- Barrels our of Bond – Francesco Amadio
- Raft-elves – David T. Wenzel
- The dwarves pop out of the barrels when they arrive at Laketown, dirty and exhausted.
- Bard takes them to meet the Master.
- The Master throws a feast for the dwarves. Thorin hailed as a hero.
- The day after the feast, the dwarves ready to leave for Erebor.
- Saruman agrees to an attack on Dol Guldor.
- The elves of Lothlorien ready for the attack.
- The dwarves walk through Dale and find the secret door.
- Bilbo finds the thrush and the sun shines upon the keyhole.
- Thorin sends Bilbo down to steal something.
- Bilbo sees Smaug and steals a cup, taking it back to Thorin.
- Smaug notices the cup is gone and bursts out of the mountain. He finds the ponies and eats them. Bombur has remained at the bottom of the mountain. They hurl him up with a rope and flee inside the door before Smaug scorches the side of the mountain.
- They send Bilbo back down to find the Arkenstone. Smaug smells him this time. Bilbo flatters Smaug until he can find the Arkenstone, at the same time seeing Smaug’s weak spot.
- Smaug deduces Bilbo is from Laketown and so flies off to destroy it.
First Appearances – Smaug, Master of Laketown, Girion (flashback)
Adapted from chapters ‘A Warm Welcome’, ‘On the Doorstep’ and ‘Inside Information’ in The Hobbit and Appendix B of Lord of the Rings.
- Conversation with Smaug – J.R.R. Tolkien
- Laketown – J.R.R. Tolkien
- Abusing Hospitality – Henning Janssen
- When the Thrush Knocks – Ted Nasmith
- Scouring the Mountain – Ted Nasmith
- Smaug the Destroyer – Ted Nasmith
- The White Council leads the army of Lothlorien to Dol Guldor.
- The White Council defeat the orcs of Dol Guldor and drive out Sauron.
- Bolg leads an army of orcs and wargs past Beorn’s lands.
- Gandalf leaves the White Council.
- Gandalf comes across Bolg’s army on the borders of Mirkwood. He turns east and rides through the forest.
- Smaug hurls boulders and flames against the secret door.
- He flies towards Laketown
- Bilbo finds the thrush and writes a message for it to find Bard.
- Smaug comes upon Laketown. He flames the entire town, killing many.
- Bard and his men shoot at Smaug, but the arrows deflect off him.
- The thrush finds Bard with the message. Bard finds Smaug’s weak spot and hits it with his Black Arrow.
- Smaug dies, falling upon the town.
- The dwarves go down and discover the gold. Thorin gifts Bilbo with a Mithril coat.
- Through the front gate they see the destruction of Laketown.
- The survivors reach the shore. The people hail Bard.
- The raft-elves come upon them. Bard tells of Smaug’s death.
- A messenger comes to Thranduil, informing him of Smaug’s death.
- Bard argues with the Master about their direction. The people side with Bard and drive the Master away.
- Thranduil and his elves come to Esgaroth and help the survivors.
- Thranduil talks with Bard about the dwarves and their gold. They both agree they deserve portions.
Death – Smaug
Adapted from chapters ‘Not at Home’, ‘Fire and Water’ and ‘The Gathering of the Clouds’ in The Hobbit and Appendix B of Lord of the Rings.
- Gathering of the Clouds – David Wyatt
- Attack on Dol Guldur – Angus McBride
- Bilbo and the Thrush – Alarie
- Alert the Folk – John Howe
- The Black Arrow – Ted Nasmith
- Gandalf and Erebor – minenanoah