- The Witch-King reports back to Sauron about Aragorn, Isildur’s heir. Sauron is noticeably concerned. He commands the Witch-King to find Frodo and prepare the army to attack Gondor, Rohan and the North.
- Scouts report to Eomer of the orc band coming down from Emyn Muil.
- Eomer seeks permission to hunt the orcs down. Grima and Theoden forbid it.
- Eomer talks to Eowyn about Grima’s treachery before heading out to hunt the orcs late at night.
Plains of Rohan
- Merry and Pippin lie captive. Pippin listens to the orcs, realising there are two groups arguing. The orcs fight, killing several of their own.
- Pippin cuts his bonds, tying them loosely around his wrists. The hobbits are picked up again and carried on.
- Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli come across the slain orcs. They continue on.
- Pippin breaks free, but is caught. Before he is caught he places a broach in the road. Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli come across this soon after.
Borders of Fangorn
- Grishnakh searches the hobbits for the Ring.
- Merry, imitating Gollum, leads Grishnakh to believe they have the Ring. He tries to escape with them.
- Eomer and his riders come upon the orcs. They kill all of them, including Grishnakh. Eomer personally kills Ugluk.
- Merry and Pippin run into Fangorn forest.
Plains of Rohan
- Aragorn comes across Eomer the morning after. Eomer tells of the slaughter of the orcs, having seen no hobbits. They lend Aragorn two horses.
Borders of Fangorn
- Aragorn finds the slaughtered orcs and the graves of 12 Rohirrim soldiers, but no sign of Merry and Pippin.
- Gimli sees an old man in the forest, who vanishes along with their horses.
- Aragorn finds cut rope, a Lorien leaf and hobbit prints. They follow the prints deeper into the forest.
- Grimbold and Elfhelm come to Edoras with Theodred’s body.
First Appearances – Grishnakh, Snaga, Theoden, Eomer, Eowyn, Grima Wormtongue, Eothain, Fastred
Deaths – Ugluk, Grishnakh, Snaga
Adapted from chapters ‘The Riders of Rohan’, ‘The Uruk-Hai’
- The Riders of Rohan – Turner Mohan
- Sauron and the Witch-King – Angel Falto
- Grima Wormtongue – John Howe
- Orc Hunting 2 – Alan Lee
- Orc Hunting – Alan Lee
- The Elven Brooch – Anke Eissmann
- Rohirrim Attack – Jan Pospisil
- Aragorn Meets the Rohirrim – Venlian
- Searching for Merry and Pippin – Anke Eissmann
- Saruman contacts Sauron through the Palantir. Sauron commands Saruman to destroy Rohan and Isildur’s heir.
- The men of Dunland swear to Saruman’s cause. He sends them to pillage Rohan.
- Eomer returns to Edoras, where Grima arrests him. Eomer threatens to kill Grima
- Merry and Pippin stop for a drink of water. A tree behind them speaks, revealing himself to be an Ent – Treebeard.
- Treebeard explains the Ent’s history to the hobbits, before taking them back to his home.
- Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli follow the prints to a rock wall, in freezing weather. Climbing to the top, where they see the old man again.
- Fearing Saruman, Gimli tells Legolas to shoot the old man. Aragorn orders the man to identify himself. The man throws off his grey cloak, revealing white clothes. It is Gandalf.
- Gandalf explains his battle with the balrog, his rebirth and his time in Lothlorien. He brings messages from Galadriel (flashback).
- Gandalf knows that Treebeard has the hobbits. He leads the others out of the forest. On the way he tells of both Saruman and Sauron’s mistakes and how to use them to their advantage.
- Treebeard tells Merry and Pippin of the return of Gandalf. He sets them to sleep in his home.
- The next day, Merry informs Treebeard of Saruman and the orcs’ destruction of Fangorn. Treebeard gives them food and water. He plans to stop Saruman.
- More ents come to the clearing to meet with Treebeard. Merry and Pippin are left in the care of Bregalad.
- Treebeard begins talking to the other ents about an alliance with Rohan and war with Saruman.
Plains of Rohan
- Gandalf summons Shadowfax, who brings the other horses with him. They begin the ride to Edoras.
First Appearances – Treebeard, Bregalad, Beechbone
Adapted from chapters ‘Treebeard’, ‘The White Rider’ and ‘The King of the Golden Hall’ and Appendix B of ‘The Lord of the Rings’.
- Treebeard – John Howe
- Dunlendings – Angelo Montanini
- Fangorn Forest – Ted Nasmith
- Treebeard – Anke Eissmann
- The Stranger in the Forest – Ted Nasmith
- Wellinghall – Ted Nasmith
- At the Entmoot – Stephen Hickman
- Saruman sends out his army of 10,000 uruks to attack Rohan.
Fords of Isen
- Erkenbrand leads the Rohirrim against Saruman’s army. He is defeated.
- Gandalf and the others continue towards Edoras.
- Legolas sees Edoras in the distance one morning. They proceed with caution.
- They come to Meduseld. The guards say they are not welcome, by order of Wormtongue. Gandalf becomes angry and demands to speak with Theoden. They are allowed inside, without weapons.
- Wormtongue lashes out at Gandalf, who brings thunder down upon him.
- Gandalf frees Theoden from Wormtongue’s influence. Theoden recovers his mind.
- Theoden calls for his guards to release Eomer.
- Theoden confronts Grima, accusing him of treason. He gives Grima the choice of fighting alongside the army or leaving the country. Grima leaves.
- Theoden reunites with Eomer and Eowyn.
- Bregalad translates the words of the Entmoot to Merry and Pippin.
- Suddenly, the Entmoot lets out a mighty roar. Merry and Pippin see the trees move around them.
- Treebeard takes Merry and Pippin and announces that the Ents are going to Isengard. The entire forest begins to move.
- Theoden visits the grave of Theodred. He expresses his regret in not being there for his son.
- Aragorn becomes friends with Eowyn.
- Theoden declares war on Isengard. He orders Eomer to assemble the army and prepare to ride west.
- Grimbold returns with news that the Fords of Isen are lost. 10,000 uruks have invaded Rohan.
- Theoden, Aragorn, Gandalf, Eowyn, Eomer, Legolas and Gimli debate their next move. Theoden decides to ride against the uruks at the Fords of Isen. Eowyn wishes to ride with them, but Theoden orders her to remain in Edoras to look after the people.
- Theoden leads the army from Edoras.
First Appearances – Erkenbrand, Guthlaf, Deorwine, Hama, Ceorl, Gleowine
Adapted from chapters ‘Treebeard’ and ‘The King of the Golden Hall’ of The Lord of the Rings and ‘The Battles of the Fords of Isen’ from Unfinished Tales.
- Edoras – Jef Murray
- On the Way to Edoras – Anke Eissmann
- Eowyn Before the Gates of Meduseld – Michael Kaluta
- Theoden and Eowyn – Angelo Montanini
- Gandalf Judges Grima Wormtongue – Anke Eissmann
- Entmoot – Michael Kaluta
- The Stirrup Cup – Anke Eissmann
- The Riders of Rohan – Ted Nasmith
- Sam awakens to find Gollum gone. Sam is relieved but Frodo reminds him of the help Gollum has given them.
- The daylight becomes darker. Gollum returns and leads them east.
- They come to the Cross-Roads. They see a headless statue of a King. The head lies nearby, crowned with flowers.
- Gollum pushes them onwards down the Southward road.
- The air becomes filled with a foul stench. Frodo begs for rest but Gollum and Sam push him to keep going.
- The Tower of the Moon rises in the distance.
- They move past the north gate of Minas Morgul. As they do so, the tower erupts in thunder and the gates open.
- The Witch-King leads a great host out of the tower. Frodo and Sam hide, yet the Witch-King halts near them. Frodo reaches for the Ring, but the Witch-King keeps moving.
- They start to climb the Straight Stair
- The ents reach the edge of Fangorn. Treebeard commands them to destroy Isengard.
- The ents break down the walls of Isengard despite being shot at with arrows.
- Treebeard breaks the gate. Bregalad sees Saruman inside and rushes at him, but Saruman reaches Orthanc safely.
- Saruman activates vents all over Isengard, sending fiery blasts into the air. Beechbone is caught in a blast, burning to death.
- Treebeard goes berserk. His roars crack stone and the ents destroy Saruman’s machinery.
- Frodo and Sam struggle up the stair, forced to climb with hands and feet.
- Frodo becomes distraught, fearing he is too late in destroying the Ring.
- They reach the end of the Straight Stair, but Gollum says the Winding Stair is still to come.
- Gollum scampers off. Frodo and Sam talk of old songs and stories and whether they will ever be characters in them.
- Gollum talks to himself about Frodo and his plan. He comes to a passage and talks with something inside.
- Gollum returns to find Frodo asleep. He feels guilty, even feeling true affection for Frodo. Sam wakes up and accuses Gollum of sneaking.
- Frodo frees Gollum from his bond, but Gollum says he must lead them to the end. They continue on.
- The ents have dug great trenches. Bregalad destroys the dam of Isen, flooding Isengard.
- The remaining orcs try and escape, but are caught by the forest of Huorns surrounding Isengard.
- Wormtongue arrives on horseback. Treebeard captures him.
- Saruman berates Wormtongue for losing control of Theoden.
- Treebeard thanks Merry and Pippin. The hobbits find pipe-weed in a storeroom.
Death – Beechbone
Adapted from chapters ‘Journey to the Cross-Roads’, ‘The Stairs of Cirith Ungol’ and ‘Flotsam and Jetsam’ of The Lord of the Rings.
- Minas Morgul – Matthew Burton
- The Day Without Dawn – Anke Eissmann
- At the Cross-Roads – Ted Nasmith
- The Tower of the Moon – Ted Nasmith
- Minas Morgul – John Howe
- The Wrath of the Ents – Ted Nasmith
- Gollum’s Debate – Ted Nasmith
- The Ents Destroy Isengard – John Howe