- Sam awakens to find Gollum gone. Sam is relieved but Frodo reminds him of the help Gollum has given them.
- The daylight becomes darker. Gollum returns and leads them east.
- They come to the Cross-Roads. They see a headless statue of a King. The head lies nearby, crowned with flowers.
- Gollum pushes them onwards down the Southward road.
- The air becomes filled with a foul stench. Frodo begs for rest but Gollum and Sam push him to keep going.
- The Tower of the Moon rises in the distance.
- They move past the north gate of Minas Morgul. As they do so, the tower erupts in thunder and the gates open.
- The Witch-King leads a great host out of the tower. Frodo and Sam hide, yet the Witch-King halts near them. Frodo reaches for the Ring, but the Witch-King keeps moving.
- They start to climb the Straight Stair
- The ents reach the edge of Fangorn. Treebeard commands them to destroy Isengard.
- The ents break down the walls of Isengard despite being shot at with arrows.
- Treebeard breaks the gate. Bregalad sees Saruman inside and rushes at him, but Saruman reaches Orthanc safely.
- Saruman activates vents all over Isengard, sending fiery blasts into the air. Beechbone is caught in a blast, burning to death.
- Treebeard goes berserk. His roars crack stone and the ents destroy Saruman’s machinery.
- Frodo and Sam struggle up the stair, forced to climb with hands and feet.
- Frodo becomes distraught, fearing he is too late in destroying the Ring.
- They reach the end of the Straight Stair, but Gollum says the Winding Stair is still to come.
- Gollum scampers off. Frodo and Sam talk of old songs and stories and whether they will ever be characters in them.
- Gollum talks to himself about Frodo and his plan. He comes to a passage and talks with something inside.
- Gollum returns to find Frodo asleep. He feels guilty, even feeling true affection for Frodo. Sam wakes up and accuses Gollum of sneaking.
- Frodo frees Gollum from his bond, but Gollum says he must lead them to the end. They continue on.
- The ents have dug great trenches. Bregalad destroys the dam of Isen, flooding Isengard.
- The remaining orcs try and escape, but are caught by the forest of Huorns surrounding Isengard.
- Wormtongue arrives on horseback. Treebeard captures him.
- Saruman berates Wormtongue for losing control of Theoden.
- Treebeard thanks Merry and Pippin. The hobbits find pipe-weed in a storeroom.
Death – Beechbone
Adapted from chapters ‘Journey to the Cross-Roads’, ‘The Stairs of Cirith Ungol’ and ‘Flotsam and Jetsam’ of The Lord of the Rings.
- Minas Morgul – Matthew Burton
- The Day Without Dawn – Anke Eissmann
- At the Cross-Roads – Ted Nasmith
- The Tower of the Moon – Ted Nasmith
- Minas Morgul – John Howe
- The Wrath of the Ents – Ted Nasmith
- Gollum’s Debate – Ted Nasmith
- The Ents Destroy Isengard – John Howe
- Sauron sees Pippin in the Palantir. He questions about the Ring, but is cut off. He orders the Nazgul to make for Isengard.
Gap of Rohan
- Gandalf takes the Palantir and chastises Pippin.
- Gandalf explains the Palantir and how Saruman was corrupted by it.
- They debate their next move, with Gandalf noting that the confusion caused by Pippin could work to their advantage.
- Sam helps Frodo up the last part of the Winding Stair. Gollum shows where to go next: a dark tunnel.
- Despite the terrible smell and the possibility of orcs, Frodo and Sam enter.
- The hobbits can only move forward by feeling the walls. They call out for Gollum, but he has disappeared.
- Frodo and Sam continue on. Frodo begins to feel an overwhelming sense of dread.
- They hear scurrying and hissing around them. They feel dead bodies beneath their feet. Frodo raises the Phial of Galadriel.
- The light illuminates hundreds of eyes. As they move closer, they are revealed to belong to a giant spider, Shelob.
- Frodo walks towards the eyes, which retreat from the light.
- Frodo and Sam flee, but are blocked by strong cobwebs. Frodo cuts them with Sting and they head for the exit.
- Sam sees orcs ahead and tries to warn Frodo. Shelob attacks, cutting off Sam. Sam goes to save Frodo but is dragged away by Gollum.
- Shelob attacks Frodo, who fights but is poisoned and falls unconscious.
- Sam fights against Gollum. He threatens to stab him and Gollum flees.
- Sam attacks Shelob, who is over Frodo’s body. He sees Frodo, seemingly dead, wrapped in web.
- Sam struggles with the spider, stabbing it in the eye. Shelob overpowers him, but Sam stabs her in the belly. Shelob flees.
- Sam checks Frodo’s heartbeat, but finds nothing.
- Sam thinks Frodo is dead and takes the Ring. He hears orc voices coming.
Gap of Rohan
- A Nazgul flies over the group, forcing them to hide.
- Gandalf predicts that Sauron will move to attack Minas Tirith. He advises Theoden and Aragorn to ride to Gondor. He gives Aragorn the Palantir.
- Gandalf takes Pippin with him and leaves on Shadowfax.
- An army again approaches Lothlorien. Galadriel says unless Sauron is defeated they will eventually be overrun.
- Eowyn receives word that the men were victorious, yet the riders say Theoden may yet ride to Gondor. Eowyn prepares for them to leave for Dunharrow.
- Elrond and Glorfindel talk about the fate of Middle-Earth. Elrond decides to prepare his elves to leave for the Grey Havens.
- Sam puts on the Ring. The orcs take Frodo. Sam overhears them talking about Shelob’s poison and how it paralyses, not kills.
- Sam follows the orcs into Mordor.
- The Witch-King’s army moves towards Osgiliath, where Faramir awaits.
First Appearances – Shelob, Gorbag, Shagrat
Death – Shelob
Adapted from chapters ‘The Palantir’, ‘Shelob’s Lair’ and ‘The Choices of Master Samwise’ and Appendix B of The Lord of the Rings
- Shelob – John Howe
- Sauron Speaks With Palantir – Hive17
- Shelob’s Lair – Rob Alexander
- Shelob About to Leap on Frodo – John Howe
- Sam and Shelob – John Howe
- Shelob’s Retreat – Ted Nasmith
- The Choices of Master Samwise – Turner Mohan
- Gandalf on Shadowfax Before Minas Tirith – Luca Michelucci
- Council of War – MelorianJ
- Sam Enters Mordor Alone – Ted Nasmith