- An army ambushes the city at Cair Andros and overruns it.
- Aragorn and the Grey Company come to Dunharrow. They find Theoden has not arrived.
- Aragorn meets with Eowyn again. She welcomes the Grey Company with supper.
- Eowyn attempts to dissuade Aragorn from the Paths of the Dead. When she fails, she asks to accompany him herself. Aragorn will not allow it.
- The Grey Company leave at daybreak. Eowyn watches them, standing still as stone.
- Shagrat strips Frodo of all his effects. He has orders to take them to Barad-Dur. Gorbag attempts to take the mithril shirt.
- Shagrat takes Frodo to the top of the tower. Gorbag begins a fight with Shagrat’s orcs.
- Sam approaches the gate of Cirith Ungol. He sees Mt Doom.
- Sam takes off the Ring. He cannot pass the gate. He uses the Phial of Galadriel and passes. The statues of the Watchers cry out.
- Sam sees the bodies of the orcs. He continues up the tower. He encounters orcs, including Shagrat, who flees.
- Sam follows an orc into a secret chamber. He kills the orc and finds Frodo.
- Frodo is delighted to see Sam, but calls him a thief when he sees the Ring. He apologises soon after. Sam finds orc armour and they put it on.
- Aragorn leads the company to a dark door. Despite their fear, they all follow Aragorn into the Paths of the Dead.
The Paths of the Dead
- Gimli is the last to enter. He hurries to catch up. They come to a clearing, where a skeleton lies. Aragorn kneels at the body but suddenly stands and addresses the darkness to follow.
- Legolas and Elladan say they see the dead following.
- With the Phial, Frodo and Sam move past the Watchers and into Mordor.
First Appearance – Snaga (II)
Death – Gorbag, Snaga
Adapted from chapters ‘The Passing of the Grey Company’ and ‘The Tower of Cirith Ungol’ and Appendix B of The Lord of the RIngs.
- Across Gorgoroth – Ted Nasmith
- Aragorn & Eowyn – Alan Lee
- Passing of the Grey Company – JeiWo
- Cirith Ungol – Robert Goldsmith
- Perfect Little Orcs – Olanda Fong-Surdenas
- The Door to the Dead – Anke Eissmann
- The King of the Oathbreakers – Ted Nasmith
- Nazgul over Cirith Ungol – Alan Lee
- Gandalf holds back the Easterlings with white fire.
- The Witch-King drives Gandalf back. Faramir and his men cover Gandalf. He tells Gandalf to return to Minas Tirith.
- Faramir fights against an Easterling chieftain. He is wounded.
Stone of Erech
- Aragorn passes through small settlements of Gondor. The townsfolk hide in terror, naming him ‘King of the Dead’.
- The company come to the Stone of Erech. Aragorn addresses the Oathbreakers, who swear allegiance.
- Aragorn leads them onwards to Pelargir with great speed, the Dead follow.
- Gandalf speaks with Denethor. They come down to the battlements.
- Beregond and Pippin watch the burning houses in the east.
- Faramir retreats from the outer wall. Denethor orders Imrahil to lead a sortie to cover them.
- Gandalf and Imrahil ride out. Faramir is hit by a Southron arrow. Imrahil picks him up and carries him on his horse back to the city.
- Imrahil takes Faramir to Denethor. A bed in the Tower is made up for Faramir.
- Denethor looks into the Palantir. He sees the entire force of the enemy. His will snaps and he goes to sit unspeaking by his son.
- Scouts report to Theoden that the enemy blocks the road. Theoden and Eomer decide to ride through Druadan Forest.
- Elfhelm talks to Merry about the wild men of the forest.
- Eomer brings a wild man, Ghan-Buri-Ghan, to talk with Theoden. Ghan offers to take them through the woods.
- Dernhelm eats in private, taking care not to show her face.
- Ghan leads the host through the forest.
- At the edge of the wood, Eomer comes across two men. One is Hirgon, who has been beheaded.
- Theoden resumes the ride, leading all calvary at great haste.
- Corsairs overrun the port.
- Gondorian reinforcements arrive, led by Aragorn. The small force defeats the corsairs in the streets.
- The Oathbreakers drive the corsairs back to the ships. The corsairs, terrified, jump overboard.
- Aragorn rounds up the defenders of Pelargir. He asks them to accompany him to Minas Tirith. Many thousands volunteer.
- Legolas sees the sea for the first time.
- Aragorn releases the Oathbreakers.
- Great trenches filled with fire surround the city. Catapults fire upon the walls. Siege towers move forward.
- Ingold reports to Denethor that there has been no news from Rohan. Denethor refuses to leave Faramir, telling his men to follow whom they will.
- Gandalf and Imrahil take over the defence of the city.
- The heads of the dead are catapulted into the city. The Nazgul attack from above.
- Mumakil tow towers to the walls. The men keep them at bay.
- The Witch-King calls for Grond. With his cries the ram strikes the gate. On the third strike the gate breaks.
- Denethor releases Pippin from his service. He summons his servants to take Faramir to the tombs. Pippin runs to find Gandalf.
- The Witch-King rides through the gate. All flee but Gandalf. As they prepare to fight, horns blow to the north.
First Appearances – Gothmog (II), Ghan-Buri-Ghan, Angbor, the King of the Dead
Deaths – Damrod, Anborn, Hirgon
Adapted from chapters ‘The Siege of Gondor’, ‘The Ride of the Rohirrim’ and ‘The Last Debate’ of The Lord of the Rings.
- The Siege of Minas Tirith – John Howe
- Battle of Osgiliath – Shockbolt
- Oathbreakers, Why Have Ye Come – Abe Papakhian
- Last of All He Came – Anke Eissmann
- Denethor Grieves For His Son – Anke Eissmann
- The Aid of the Wild Men – Ted Nasmith
- Angbor of Lamedon – Jan Pospisil
- Legolas Comes to the Sea – Jef Murray
- The Siege of Minas Tirith – Jesse Van Dijk
- The Siege of Minas Tirith – Stephen Hickman
- Gandalf Facing Witch-King – Angus McBride