- Saruman contacts Sauron through the Palantir. Sauron commands Saruman to destroy Rohan and Isildur’s heir.
- The men of Dunland swear to Saruman’s cause. He sends them to pillage Rohan.
- Eomer returns to Edoras, where Grima arrests him. Eomer threatens to kill Grima
- Merry and Pippin stop for a drink of water. A tree behind them speaks, revealing himself to be an Ent – Treebeard.
- Treebeard explains the Ent’s history to the hobbits, before taking them back to his home.
- Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli follow the prints to a rock wall, in freezing weather. Climbing to the top, where they see the old man again.
- Fearing Saruman, Gimli tells Legolas to shoot the old man. Aragorn orders the man to identify himself. The man throws off his grey cloak, revealing white clothes. It is Gandalf.
- Gandalf explains his battle with the balrog, his rebirth and his time in Lothlorien. He brings messages from Galadriel (flashback).
- Gandalf knows that Treebeard has the hobbits. He leads the others out of the forest. On the way he tells of both Saruman and Sauron’s mistakes and how to use them to their advantage.
- Treebeard tells Merry and Pippin of the return of Gandalf. He sets them to sleep in his home.
- The next day, Merry informs Treebeard of Saruman and the orcs’ destruction of Fangorn. Treebeard gives them food and water. He plans to stop Saruman.
- More ents come to the clearing to meet with Treebeard. Merry and Pippin are left in the care of Bregalad.
- Treebeard begins talking to the other ents about an alliance with Rohan and war with Saruman.
Plains of Rohan
- Gandalf summons Shadowfax, who brings the other horses with him. They begin the ride to Edoras.
First Appearances – Treebeard, Bregalad, Beechbone
Adapted from chapters ‘Treebeard’, ‘The White Rider’ and ‘The King of the Golden Hall’ and Appendix B of ‘The Lord of the Rings’.
- Treebeard – John Howe
- Dunlendings – Angelo Montanini
- Fangorn Forest – Ted Nasmith
- Treebeard – Anke Eissmann
- The Stranger in the Forest – Ted Nasmith
- Wellinghall – Ted Nasmith
- At the Entmoot – Stephen Hickman
- Saruman sends out his army of 10,000 uruks to attack Rohan.
Fords of Isen
- Erkenbrand leads the Rohirrim against Saruman’s army. He is defeated.
- Gandalf and the others continue towards Edoras.
- Legolas sees Edoras in the distance one morning. They proceed with caution.
- They come to Meduseld. The guards say they are not welcome, by order of Wormtongue. Gandalf becomes angry and demands to speak with Theoden. They are allowed inside, without weapons.
- Wormtongue lashes out at Gandalf, who brings thunder down upon him.
- Gandalf frees Theoden from Wormtongue’s influence. Theoden recovers his mind.
- Theoden calls for his guards to release Eomer.
- Theoden confronts Grima, accusing him of treason. He gives Grima the choice of fighting alongside the army or leaving the country. Grima leaves.
- Theoden reunites with Eomer and Eowyn.
- Bregalad translates the words of the Entmoot to Merry and Pippin.
- Suddenly, the Entmoot lets out a mighty roar. Merry and Pippin see the trees move around them.
- Treebeard takes Merry and Pippin and announces that the Ents are going to Isengard. The entire forest begins to move.
- Theoden visits the grave of Theodred. He expresses his regret in not being there for his son.
- Aragorn becomes friends with Eowyn.
- Theoden declares war on Isengard. He orders Eomer to assemble the army and prepare to ride west.
- Grimbold returns with news that the Fords of Isen are lost. 10,000 uruks have invaded Rohan.
- Theoden, Aragorn, Gandalf, Eowyn, Eomer, Legolas and Gimli debate their next move. Theoden decides to ride against the uruks at the Fords of Isen. Eowyn wishes to ride with them, but Theoden orders her to remain in Edoras to look after the people.
- Theoden leads the army from Edoras.
First Appearances – Erkenbrand, Guthlaf, Deorwine, Hama, Ceorl, Gleowine
Adapted from chapters ‘Treebeard’ and ‘The King of the Golden Hall’ of The Lord of the Rings and ‘The Battles of the Fords of Isen’ from Unfinished Tales.
- Edoras – Jef Murray
- On the Way to Edoras – Anke Eissmann
- Eowyn Before the Gates of Meduseld – Michael Kaluta
- Theoden and Eowyn – Angelo Montanini
- Gandalf Judges Grima Wormtongue – Anke Eissmann
- Entmoot – Michael Kaluta
- The Stirrup Cup – Anke Eissmann
- The Riders of Rohan – Ted Nasmith
- Sam awakens to find Gollum gone. Sam is relieved but Frodo reminds him of the help Gollum has given them.
- The daylight becomes darker. Gollum returns and leads them east.
- They come to the Cross-Roads. They see a headless statue of a King. The head lies nearby, crowned with flowers.
- Gollum pushes them onwards down the Southward road.
- The air becomes filled with a foul stench. Frodo begs for rest but Gollum and Sam push him to keep going.
- The Tower of the Moon rises in the distance.
- They move past the north gate of Minas Morgul. As they do so, the tower erupts in thunder and the gates open.
- The Witch-King leads a great host out of the tower. Frodo and Sam hide, yet the Witch-King halts near them. Frodo reaches for the Ring, but the Witch-King keeps moving.
- They start to climb the Straight Stair
- The ents reach the edge of Fangorn. Treebeard commands them to destroy Isengard.
- The ents break down the walls of Isengard despite being shot at with arrows.
- Treebeard breaks the gate. Bregalad sees Saruman inside and rushes at him, but Saruman reaches Orthanc safely.
- Saruman activates vents all over Isengard, sending fiery blasts into the air. Beechbone is caught in a blast, burning to death.
- Treebeard goes berserk. His roars crack stone and the ents destroy Saruman’s machinery.
- Frodo and Sam struggle up the stair, forced to climb with hands and feet.
- Frodo becomes distraught, fearing he is too late in destroying the Ring.
- They reach the end of the Straight Stair, but Gollum says the Winding Stair is still to come.
- Gollum scampers off. Frodo and Sam talk of old songs and stories and whether they will ever be characters in them.
- Gollum talks to himself about Frodo and his plan. He comes to a passage and talks with something inside.
- Gollum returns to find Frodo asleep. He feels guilty, even feeling true affection for Frodo. Sam wakes up and accuses Gollum of sneaking.
- Frodo frees Gollum from his bond, but Gollum says he must lead them to the end. They continue on.
- The ents have dug great trenches. Bregalad destroys the dam of Isen, flooding Isengard.
- The remaining orcs try and escape, but are caught by the forest of Huorns surrounding Isengard.
- Wormtongue arrives on horseback. Treebeard captures him.
- Saruman berates Wormtongue for losing control of Theoden.
- Treebeard thanks Merry and Pippin. The hobbits find pipe-weed in a storeroom.
Death – Beechbone
Adapted from chapters ‘Journey to the Cross-Roads’, ‘The Stairs of Cirith Ungol’ and ‘Flotsam and Jetsam’ of The Lord of the Rings.
- Minas Morgul – Matthew Burton
- The Day Without Dawn – Anke Eissmann
- At the Cross-Roads – Ted Nasmith
- The Tower of the Moon – Ted Nasmith
- Minas Morgul – John Howe
- The Wrath of the Ents – Ted Nasmith
- Gollum’s Debate – Ted Nasmith
- The Ents Destroy Isengard – John Howe
- The remaining men of Rohan bury their dead. Theoden personally buries Hama.
- Theoden pardons the men of Dunland.
- They gather on the plain. Gandalf reveals the trees are Huorns sent by Treebeard. He asks Theoden to accompany him to Isengard.
Gap of Rohan
- Theoden selects Eomer and twenty riders and goes with Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli to Isengard.
- Gimli and Legolas trade tales of the battle.
- They see many bodies of slain Rohirrim on the way to Isengard.
- A strange black liquid passes over the ground.
- They come to Isengard, where they reunite with Merry and Pippin.
- Gandalf and Theoden ride to meet with Treebeard.
- Merry and Pippin bring food to the riders. Gimli regrets that he has no pipe and Pippin gives him one of his own.
- Aragorn returns the hobbits’ knives and brooches.
- Treebeard tells Gandalf that Saruman remains in the tower. Gandalf returns to Isengard.
- The others follow Gandalf to Orthanc. Gandalf calls for Saruman to appear. Wormtongue answers and Gandalf demands to speak with Saruman.
- Saruman appears, speaking in a sad voice. He appeals to Theoden, but Gimli interrupts him and Theoden refuses to forgive.
- Gandalf offers Saruman a chance to come back to their side. Saruman considers, but refuses out of pride. He instead tries to again persuade Gandalf to join him.
- After Gandalf refuses, Saruman rages, insulting Gandalf and the others.
- Gandalf once more asks Saruman to come down, but he turns away. Gandalf in response breaks Saruman’s staff and casts him from the order.
- Upon seeing this, Wormtongue throws the Palantir at Gandalf, but misses. Pippin picks it up before Gandalf takes it from him.
- Saruman rages at Wormtongue for losing the Palantir.
- Gandalf asks Treebeard to keep Orthanc surrounded with water so Saruman cannot escape.
- Gandalf carries Merry and Aragorn carries Pippin as they leave Isengard.
Gap of Rohan
- That night, Merry and Pippin talk about Gandalf.
- Pippin, unable to sleep, creeps over to Gandalf and steals the Palantir.
- Looking into it, he sees a dark flying creature and then Sauron.
Adapted from chapters ‘The Road to Isengard’, ‘Flotsam and Jetsam’, ‘The Voice of Saruman’ and ‘The Palantir’ of The Lord of the Rings.
- Isengard – Rob Alexander
- Road to Isengard – Yatzenty
- Flotsam and Jetsam – Anke Eissmann
- Saruman of Many Colours – Francesco Amadio
- Saruman – John Howe
- The Palantir – Francesco Amadio
- Gwaihir bears Gandalf over Mordor to Mount Doom.
- Bard II and Thorin Stonehelm drive the enemy from Dale.
- Celeborn and Thranduil destroy Dol Guldur. Galadriel purifies the fortress.
- All over Middle Earth, the enemy flees.
- Sam and Frodo awaken to find Gandalf. They are taken outside where the whole Army of the West celebrates their deeds.
- They are reunited with Pippin, Merry, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli.
- Elrond receives word of Sauron’s defeat. He gives leave for Arwen to marry Aragorn.
- Faramir and Eowyn speak of their dreams, a wave climbing over green lands. As they do so, the shadows depart and the sun is unveiled.
- Faramir shows Eowyn the beauty of healing and of the gardens. He offers her his love.
- The Army of the West return to the city. Faramir gives Aragorn the keys and the crown of Earnur.
- Gandalf crowns Aragorn King of Gondor and Arnor.
- Aragorn enters Minas Tirith and sits on his throne.
- Aragorn pardons the Easterlings and the Haradrim. He pardons Beregond from death, but banishes him from Minas Tirith, setting him to instead be captain of the White Company in Ithilien.
- Eowyn speaks with Aragorn. Afterwards, she agrees to marry Faramir.
- Elladan and Elrohir meet the escort of Arwen, including Elrond, Glorfindel, Galadriel and Celeborn.
- Gandalf takes Aragorn high into the mountains. They look across his realm and find a sapling of the White Tree.
- Weeks later, Aragorn and Arwen are wed.
- The Fellowship and their friends leave Minas Tirith.
- King Theoden is laid to rest. Faramir and Eowyn are betrothed.
- Arwen speaks to Frodo of her place on the ships into the west.
- Elrond and Arwen go into the hills where they say their final goodbyes.
- Treebeard reveals he has released Saruman.
- Legolas and Gimli leave the Fellowship, travelling through Fangorn.
- Aragorn says farewell. He watches the Fellowship go north, the green fire of the Elfstone in his hand.
- They come across Saruman and offer him mercy. He declines.
- The company reaches Rivendell. Frodo reunites with Bilbo
Adapted from chapters ‘The Field of Cormallen’, ‘The Steward and the King’ and ‘Many Partings’ and Appendices A and B of The Lord of the Rings.
- The Steward and the King – Anke Eissmann
- The Field of Cormallen – Tolman Cotton
- The Sun Unveiled – Ted Nasmith
- The Crowning of Elessar – Francesco Amadio
- The Judgement on Beregond – Maureval
- Elessar and Mithrandir – Peter Xavier Price
- King and His Queen – Janka Lateckova
- Arwen’s Gift – Anke Eissmann
- Journey Home – Anna Lee
- Saruman is Overtaken – Ted Nasmith