Season 5 will be the last season covering Quenta Silmarillion and the First Age. All major stories of Beleriand will be tied up and Maglor’s tales will end with the reveal of the full relationship between he and Elrond and the events that led to their meeting. Season 5 covers Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin, Earendil and the War of Wrath as well as the Second and Third Kinslayings in Doriath and the Havens of Sirion. The last episode and climax of the First Age is outlined as a feature-length film. Unfortunately many details of the War of Wrath itself have to be created for the series as there is precious little descriptions in the published text.
- Maglor returns to the sea, passing by a familiar hill. Elrond catches up with him, demanding to know the full story of his father, the Oath and their time together. Elrond believes he is owed an explanation of Maglor’s actions, something he believes he did not get when he was young.
- Turgon meets with Tuor and appoints him leader of the House of the Swan Wing.
- Idril walks through the city with a young Earendil.
- Maeglin leaves Gondolin for the mines.
- Celegorm urges an attack on Doriath. Maedhros refuses and instead sends a demand for it to be returned.
- Dior rules Doriath while raising his two sons and his daughter.
- Dior receives the demand for the Silmaril. As an insult to the sons of Feanor, he chooses to send no answer.
- Unwilling to await the wrath of Maedhros, Galadriel wishes to leave with Celeborn for the Havens of Sirion.
- Morgoth reveals to Sauron that he knows the location of Gondolin from the cries of Hurin.
- Sauron sends out orcs to scout the mountains for an entrance to Gondolin.
The Havens of Sirion
- Cirdan sends ships to the west in an attempt to contact the Valar.
- After receiving no reply, Maedhros grants Celegorm leave to assemble a force to attack Doriath.
Adapted from chapters ‘Of the Ruin of Doriath’ and ‘Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin’ from The Silmarillion, ‘Of Tuor and His Coming to Gondolin’ from Unfinished Tales and ‘The Fall of Gondolin’ from The Book of Lost Tales.
- The Harp No Longer Sings – Jenny Dolfen
- Maglor and Elrond – Mintkim
- Idril and Earendil – RobeleskaZeppelin
- The Nauglamir is Returned to Dior Eluchil – Paula DiSante
- Celegorm amasses a large amount of followers. He returns to Maedhros.
- Maedhros leads his brothers and their followers towards Doriath.
The Havens of Sirion
- Cirdan awaits word from the ships.
- Only one ship returns. It brings word that the other six were lost. The way to the west is closed.
- Idril confides in Tuor her unease. She believes peace will not last and that Maeglin is not to be trusted.
- Tuor begins constructing in secret a tunnel out of the city.
- Galadriel prepares to leave. She asks Dior to follow her.
- The sons of Feanor attack in the middle of the night.
- Dior has all elves retreat into the caves. He is spotted by Celegorm and pursued.
- Dior gives the Nauglamir to Elwing and has guards escort her out.
- Celegorm is killed by Dior, who is then killed along with his wife by Curufin.
- Curufin and Caranthir die by the hands of Celeborn and his guards.
- Galadriel gathers followers, including Elwing, and escapes Menegroth.
- The rest of the elves in Menegroth are slaughtered.
- The followers of Celegorm capture Elured and Elurin, leaving them to starve in the forest.
- Sauron’s scouts come across Maeglin. Maeglin is taken prisoner.
- Maedhros searches for the Silmaril, but neither he nor his brothers or followers can find it.
- Celegorm’s followers return, telling Maedhros of their capture of the twins.
- Maedhros gives up the search for the Silmaril and goes into the forest to search for Elured and Elurin.
- Elured and Elurin come across Maedhros, but hide away from him.
Deaths – Dior, Nimloth, Nellas, Celegorm, Caranthir, Curufin
Adapted from chapters ‘Of the Ruin of Doriath’ and ‘Of Tuor and The Fall of Gondolin’ from The Silmarillion, ‘The History of Galadriel and Celeborn’ from Unfinished Tales and ‘The Fall of Gondolin’ from The Book of Lost Tales.
- The Death of Curufin – Jenny Dolfen
- Idril Tuor Maeglin – Catherine Chmiel
- Death in Doriath – Svetlana Nikonova
- Maeglin Taken Prisoner by Orcs – Catherine Chmiel
- Maedhros Searching for the Sons of Dior – Jenny Dolfen
- Barahir and his outlaws drive out a band of orcs from a cluster of towns in Dorthonion, freeing several people who lived there.
- Morgoth is furious at his forces for being unable to kill Barahir. He orders Sauron to go after them.
- Maedhros and Maglor ride forward to take back the Pass. It was scarcely guarded and they manage to do it quickly.
- Celegorm and Curufin come across Orodreth fleeing Minas Tirith. They destroy the orcs following them and suggest they head towards Nargothrond.
- Gorlim leaves the band at night, returning to look for his wife. He sees her in the window, but discovers it was a trap laid by Sauron. Sauron’s hunters torture him for information. After he refuses to give any, they promise to reunite him with his wife.
- Barahir sends Beren on a scouting mission to the East.
- Hurin and Huor depart Gondolin, returning to Dor-lomin.
- Gorlim is brought before Sauron. He agrees to give up Barahir if he is allowed a free life with his wife. After he hears the information, Sauron informs Gorlim his wife has long been dead and kills him.
- The wraith of Gorlim comes to Beren in his sleep, informing Beren of his betrayal. Beren rushes back.
- Sauron’s orcs, led by Drauglin, ambush Barahir and his men at their lair. The ten remaining men are slaughtered.
- Beren returns too late. He recovers his father’s ring, but refuses to grieve.
- Hurin and Huor return to Dor-lomin, where they are reunited with their father Galdor.
- Beren flees South to Doriath, where he comes across Luthien dancing in the woods.
First Appearances – Haldir, Hundar
Deaths – Barahir, Baragund, Belegund, Gorlim, Gildor, Radhruin, Dairuin, Gorlim, Urthel, Dagnir, Arthad
Adapted from chapters ‘Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin’ and ‘Of Beren and Luthien’ from The Silmarillion, ‘The Lay of Leithian’ from the Lays of Beleriand and ‘The Grey Annals’ from The War of the Jewels.
- Beren the Solitary Outlaw – peet
- Gorlim ill-fated – Kakomicly
- Hunting with the Great Hounds – Henning Janssen
- The Tale of Beren and Luthien – Unknown
- Hurin returns to Dor-lomin, where he takes lordship over the land. He courts Morwen of the House of Beor.
- Beren and Luthien continue to live in the woods, deeply in love.
- Thingol follows Luthien one day and confronts them together. He brings them back to Menegroth.
- Luthien pleads with her father to allow them to be together, but Thingol refuses. Luthien does succeed in convincing him to spare Beren’s life.
- Beren is sent before Thingol and questioned. Seeing Beren’s true devotion to his daughter, Thingol decides not to banish Beren. But determined for them not to marry, he sets an impossible bride price: a Silmaril from Morgoth’s crown.
- Beren goes to see Luthien and tells her he intends to complete the task. Luthien asks him to stay but he is determined, leaving Menegroth immediately.
- Luthien is determined to help Beren, but Thingol does not allow it and imprisons her in a treehouse.
- Celegorm and Curufin take active duties in the fortress, gaining many followers. Celegorm’s wolf, Huan, takes a liking to Finrod.
- Maglor sets out to find his lost brothers.
- Easterlings journey past Himring. Maedhros intercepts them. The Easterlings swear loyalty to Maedhros.
First Appearances – Morwen, Ulfang, Finduilas, Rian
Adapted from chapters ‘Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin’ and ‘Of Beren and Luthien’ from the Silmarillion and ‘The Lay of Leithian’ from The Lays of Beleriand.
- Trial of Beren – Anke Eissmann
- Of Beren and Luthien – Ulla Thynell
- A Sense of Foreboding – Tuuliky
- Tyelkormo and Curufinwe – Tuuliky
- Beren comes to Nargothrond, requesting audience with Finrod. Celegorm is hesitant to allow it, but Orodreth overrules him.
- Beren shows Finrod the Ring of Barahir, asking for his help. Remembering his oath, Finrod agrees.
- Celegorm and Curufin convince, with lies or threats, the majority of Nargothrond not to follow Beren.
- Finrod asks his soldiers to accompany him, but only ten come forward.
- Finrod leaves Orodreth in charge.
- Beren and Finrod come across a pack of orcs. Nearing Tol Sirion, they ambush and kill the orcs, taking their gear. Finrod disguises them all.
- Beneath Minas Tirith however, Sauron’s servants see through the disguises and they are captured.
- Brought before Sauron, Finrod attacks him. Sauron shrugs it off and attacks Finrod with spells. Finrod fights back with spells and songs of Quenya from Valinor, but is unable to overcome Sauron.
- Sauron locks them away. He sends a werewolf in to execute them.
- In the dark, the werewolf picks them off one by one as they are chained. When it comes for Beren, Finrod sees it and breaks his chains. Finrod is wounded deeply, but manages to kill the wolf with his bare hands.
- Barely alive, Beren calls Finrod’s oath redeemed. Finrod passes away in the tower he himself had built.
- In a dream, Luthien sees Beren chained in a dungeon. Melian comes to her and confirms that Beren is held captive.
- Luthien manages to lull the guards to sleep using her powers as the daughter of Melian. She steal a horse and escapes Doriath.
- Celegorm takes Curufin and Huan to follow Finrod.
- Luthien races to Minas Tirith, but she is found by Huan in the forest. Huan takes her back to Celegorm.
- When Celegorm learns of her identity, he appears friendly to her. However, he confides in Curufin that he wishes to marry her.
- Curufin sends a letter to Doriath entailing Celegorm’s intentions.
Deaths – Finrod, Edrahil
Adapted from ‘Of Beren and Luthien’ from the Silmarillion and ‘The Lay of Leithian’ from The Lays of Beleriand.
- Beren and Finrod – Alice Falto
- Beren Before Felagund – Anke Eissmann
- Duel – Hellga-Z
- Luthien Escapes the Treehouse – Ted Nasmith
- Beren is visited by Sauron and told that he is left to starve. Finrod’s body is displayed before the gates.
- Luthien is brought to Nargothrond. Orodreth enquires about her but is lied to by Celegorm.
- Luthien is locked away and Celegorm reveals his true intentions.
- Betraying his master, Huan speaks to Luthien. Feeling pity for her, he helps her escape.
- Huan follows Luthien and promises to take her to Minas Tirith.
- Thingol discovers Luthien missing and is told of the letter from Celegorm. He sends riders out to find her.
- Huan brings Luthien to Minas Tirith. Guarded fiercely by wolves and orcs, Huan manages to slay every one of them and gains entry to the tower.
- Luthien sing for Beren. Beren hears her and calls back, believing himself delirious.
- Sauron also hears Luthien singing and wishes to capture her for Morgoth. He sends many wolves to kill Huan, but he kills them with ease.
- Sauron sends Drauglin to kill Huan, but Drauglin too is defeated. Finally, Sauron transforms into a wolf himself to fight Huan. Huan dodges his attacks, but Sauron lunges at Luthien. She whips him with her enchanted cloak, disorienting him.
- Huan fights Sauron, who shapeshifts many times. Eventually he wins and Luthien gives Sauron a choice, surrender Minas Tirith or be killed and sent back to Morgoth as a wraith. Sauron flees
- Luthien frees the prisoners and finds Beren. They bury Finrod on his isle and leave to walk in the woods again. Huan returns to Celegorm.
- Beren skins Drauglin and Thuringwethil and takes their hides.
- Thingol’s riders reach Nargothrond. When Orodreth hears their words, he exiles Celegorm and Curufin.
Deaths – Draugluin, Thuringwethil
Adapted from chapters ‘Of Beren and Luthien’ from The Silmarillion and ‘The Lay of Leithian’ from The Lays of Beleriand.
- Huan and Luthien Escape Nargothrond – Ted Nasmith
- Luthien Tinuviel and Huan Journey to Angband – Neerachar Sophol
- Huan Subdues Sauron – Ted Nasmith
- Celegorm and Curufin come across Huan. Realising what he had done, they punish him and set out to find Luthien again.
- Beren pleads with Luthien to return to Doriath, but she refuses. They set out for Angband together.
- Word reaches Fingon of the events in Doriath and Minas Tirith. He sends word to Maedhros.
- Maglor comes to Amon Ereb and finds his brothers. Caranthir tells him of Celegorm’s deeds. While there he meets Azaghal, and tells him to prepare the dwarves for battle.
- Beren and Luthien reach the ash plain beyond Dorthonion. There they are intercepted by Celegorm and Curufin. Beren fights them off alone, shaming them. But he spares their lives. Curufin fires an arrow back at Luthien as he flees, but Beren takes the shot. Luthien manages to heal him.
- Huan chases the brothers off and comes back to Luthien. As she sleeps that night, Beren leaves her in the care of Huan and goes to Angband alone.
- When Luthien awakes she refuses to turn back and follows Beren. She takes Thuringwethil’s hide and assumes her form.
- They come across Beren in sight of Angband. Luthien gives him the hide of Drauglin and disguises them both. Leaving Huan behind, they journey together to the gates of Angband.
- Huan sees the shapes of the Eagles flying in the distance and goes to summon them.
- At the gates of Angband they find Carchoroth, a hound greater even than Huan. Suddenly possessed by her Maian power, Luthien sings him into a deep sleep.
- They reach the Throne room of Morgoth, where they find him at court. Seeing them through his servants, he strips them of their disguises. Luthien declares herself and offers to sing for him. Filled with lust, he accepts.
- Luthien’s voice sends Morgoth and the entire court to sleep. Beren then cuts a Silmaril from Morgoth’s crown. Luthien says they should flee, but Beren tries to cut another one, breaking the blade and awakening Morgoth.
- They flee together while the court still sleeps. They reach the gates but are attacked by Carchoroth. Beren holds up the Silmaril to threaten the wolf, but Carchoroth bites his hand off. The Silmaril burns through the wolf’s stomach, causing him great pain and to flee.
- Luthien sucks the poison out of Beren’s wound, but they are too slow to escape the chasing hordes. Huan reaches them however, and he brings with him the Eagles of Manwe who bear them away.
First Appearance – Carcharoth
Adapted from chapters ‘Of Beren and Luthien’ and ‘Of the Fifth Battle’ from The Silmarillion and ‘The Lay of Leithian’ from The Lays of Beleriand.
- Beren and Luthien Flee Angband – Pete Amachree
- The Attack of Feanor’s Sons – Anke Eissman
- Luthien Before the Throne – neffinesse
- Carcharoth – Justin Gerard