- Celegorm and Curufin come across Huan. Realising what he had done, they punish him and set out to find Luthien again.
- Beren pleads with Luthien to return to Doriath, but she refuses. They set out for Angband together.
- Word reaches Fingon of the events in Doriath and Minas Tirith. He sends word to Maedhros.
- Maglor comes to Amon Ereb and finds his brothers. Caranthir tells him of Celegorm’s deeds. While there he meets Azaghal, and tells him to prepare the dwarves for battle.
- Beren and Luthien reach the ash plain beyond Dorthonion. There they are intercepted by Celegorm and Curufin. Beren fights them off alone, shaming them. But he spares their lives. Curufin fires an arrow back at Luthien as he flees, but Beren takes the shot. Luthien manages to heal him.
- Huan chases the brothers off and comes back to Luthien. As she sleeps that night, Beren leaves her in the care of Huan and goes to Angband alone.
- When Luthien awakes she refuses to turn back and follows Beren. She takes Thuringwethil’s hide and assumes her form.
- They come across Beren in sight of Angband. Luthien gives him the hide of Drauglin and disguises them both. Leaving Huan behind, they journey together to the gates of Angband.
- Huan sees the shapes of the Eagles flying in the distance and goes to summon them.
- At the gates of Angband they find Carchoroth, a hound greater even than Huan. Suddenly possessed by her Maian power, Luthien sings him into a deep sleep.
- They reach the Throne room of Morgoth, where they find him at court. Seeing them through his servants, he strips them of their disguises. Luthien declares herself and offers to sing for him. Filled with lust, he accepts.
- Luthien’s voice sends Morgoth and the entire court to sleep. Beren then cuts a Silmaril from Morgoth’s crown. Luthien says they should flee, but Beren tries to cut another one, breaking the blade and awakening Morgoth.
- They flee together while the court still sleeps. They reach the gates but are attacked by Carchoroth. Beren holds up the Silmaril to threaten the wolf, but Carchoroth bites his hand off. The Silmaril burns through the wolf’s stomach, causing him great pain and to flee.
- Luthien sucks the poison out of Beren’s wound, but they are too slow to escape the chasing hordes. Huan reaches them however, and he brings with him the Eagles of Manwe who bear them away.
First Appearance – Carcharoth
Adapted from chapters ‘Of Beren and Luthien’ and ‘Of the Fifth Battle’ from The Silmarillion and ‘The Lay of Leithian’ from The Lays of Beleriand.
- Beren and Luthien Flee Angband – Pete Amachree
- The Attack of Feanor’s Sons – Anke Eissman
- Luthien Before the Throne – neffinesse
- Carcharoth – Justin Gerard