- Hurin returns to Dor-lomin, where he takes lordship over the land. He courts Morwen of the House of Beor.
- Beren and Luthien continue to live in the woods, deeply in love.
- Thingol follows Luthien one day and confronts them together. He brings them back to Menegroth.
- Luthien pleads with her father to allow them to be together, but Thingol refuses. Luthien does succeed in convincing him to spare Beren’s life.
- Beren is sent before Thingol and questioned. Seeing Beren’s true devotion to his daughter, Thingol decides not to banish Beren. But determined for them not to marry, he sets an impossible bride price: a Silmaril from Morgoth’s crown.
- Beren goes to see Luthien and tells her he intends to complete the task. Luthien asks him to stay but he is determined, leaving Menegroth immediately.
- Luthien is determined to help Beren, but Thingol does not allow it and imprisons her in a treehouse.
- Celegorm and Curufin take active duties in the fortress, gaining many followers. Celegorm’s wolf, Huan, takes a liking to Finrod.
- Maglor sets out to find his lost brothers.
- Easterlings journey past Himring. Maedhros intercepts them. The Easterlings swear loyalty to Maedhros.
First Appearances – Morwen, Ulfang, Finduilas, Rian
Adapted from chapters ‘Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin’ and ‘Of Beren and Luthien’ from the Silmarillion and ‘The Lay of Leithian’ from The Lays of Beleriand.
- Trial of Beren – Anke Eissmann
- Of Beren and Luthien – Ulla Thynell
- A Sense of Foreboding – Tuuliky
- Tyelkormo and Curufinwe – Tuuliky
- Beren comes to Nargothrond, requesting audience with Finrod. Celegorm is hesitant to allow it, but Orodreth overrules him.
- Beren shows Finrod the Ring of Barahir, asking for his help. Remembering his oath, Finrod agrees.
- Celegorm and Curufin convince, with lies or threats, the majority of Nargothrond not to follow Beren.
- Finrod asks his soldiers to accompany him, but only ten come forward.
- Finrod leaves Orodreth in charge.
- Beren and Finrod come across a pack of orcs. Nearing Tol Sirion, they ambush and kill the orcs, taking their gear. Finrod disguises them all.
- Beneath Minas Tirith however, Sauron’s servants see through the disguises and they are captured.
- Brought before Sauron, Finrod attacks him. Sauron shrugs it off and attacks Finrod with spells. Finrod fights back with spells and songs of Quenya from Valinor, but is unable to overcome Sauron.
- Sauron locks them away. He sends a werewolf in to execute them.
- In the dark, the werewolf picks them off one by one as they are chained. When it comes for Beren, Finrod sees it and breaks his chains. Finrod is wounded deeply, but manages to kill the wolf with his bare hands.
- Barely alive, Beren calls Finrod’s oath redeemed. Finrod passes away in the tower he himself had built.
- In a dream, Luthien sees Beren chained in a dungeon. Melian comes to her and confirms that Beren is held captive.
- Luthien manages to lull the guards to sleep using her powers as the daughter of Melian. She steal a horse and escapes Doriath.
- Celegorm takes Curufin and Huan to follow Finrod.
- Luthien races to Minas Tirith, but she is found by Huan in the forest. Huan takes her back to Celegorm.
- When Celegorm learns of her identity, he appears friendly to her. However, he confides in Curufin that he wishes to marry her.
- Curufin sends a letter to Doriath entailing Celegorm’s intentions.
Deaths – Finrod, Edrahil
Adapted from ‘Of Beren and Luthien’ from the Silmarillion and ‘The Lay of Leithian’ from The Lays of Beleriand.
- Beren and Finrod – Alice Falto
- Beren Before Felagund – Anke Eissmann
- Duel – Hellga-Z
- Luthien Escapes the Treehouse – Ted Nasmith
- Beren is visited by Sauron and told that he is left to starve. Finrod’s body is displayed before the gates.
- Luthien is brought to Nargothrond. Orodreth enquires about her but is lied to by Celegorm.
- Luthien is locked away and Celegorm reveals his true intentions.
- Betraying his master, Huan speaks to Luthien. Feeling pity for her, he helps her escape.
- Huan follows Luthien and promises to take her to Minas Tirith.
- Thingol discovers Luthien missing and is told of the letter from Celegorm. He sends riders out to find her.
- Huan brings Luthien to Minas Tirith. Guarded fiercely by wolves and orcs, Huan manages to slay every one of them and gains entry to the tower.
- Luthien sing for Beren. Beren hears her and calls back, believing himself delirious.
- Sauron also hears Luthien singing and wishes to capture her for Morgoth. He sends many wolves to kill Huan, but he kills them with ease.
- Sauron sends Drauglin to kill Huan, but Drauglin too is defeated. Finally, Sauron transforms into a wolf himself to fight Huan. Huan dodges his attacks, but Sauron lunges at Luthien. She whips him with her enchanted cloak, disorienting him.
- Huan fights Sauron, who shapeshifts many times. Eventually he wins and Luthien gives Sauron a choice, surrender Minas Tirith or be killed and sent back to Morgoth as a wraith. Sauron flees
- Luthien frees the prisoners and finds Beren. They bury Finrod on his isle and leave to walk in the woods again. Huan returns to Celegorm.
- Beren skins Drauglin and Thuringwethil and takes their hides.
- Thingol’s riders reach Nargothrond. When Orodreth hears their words, he exiles Celegorm and Curufin.
Deaths – Draugluin, Thuringwethil
Adapted from chapters ‘Of Beren and Luthien’ from The Silmarillion and ‘The Lay of Leithian’ from The Lays of Beleriand.
- Huan and Luthien Escape Nargothrond – Ted Nasmith
- Luthien Tinuviel and Huan Journey to Angband – Neerachar Sophol
- Huan Subdues Sauron – Ted Nasmith
- Celegorm and Curufin come across Huan. Realising what he had done, they punish him and set out to find Luthien again.
- Beren pleads with Luthien to return to Doriath, but she refuses. They set out for Angband together.
- Word reaches Fingon of the events in Doriath and Minas Tirith. He sends word to Maedhros.
- Maglor comes to Amon Ereb and finds his brothers. Caranthir tells him of Celegorm’s deeds. While there he meets Azaghal, and tells him to prepare the dwarves for battle.
- Beren and Luthien reach the ash plain beyond Dorthonion. There they are intercepted by Celegorm and Curufin. Beren fights them off alone, shaming them. But he spares their lives. Curufin fires an arrow back at Luthien as he flees, but Beren takes the shot. Luthien manages to heal him.
- Huan chases the brothers off and comes back to Luthien. As she sleeps that night, Beren leaves her in the care of Huan and goes to Angband alone.
- When Luthien awakes she refuses to turn back and follows Beren. She takes Thuringwethil’s hide and assumes her form.
- They come across Beren in sight of Angband. Luthien gives him the hide of Drauglin and disguises them both. Leaving Huan behind, they journey together to the gates of Angband.
- Huan sees the shapes of the Eagles flying in the distance and goes to summon them.
- At the gates of Angband they find Carchoroth, a hound greater even than Huan. Suddenly possessed by her Maian power, Luthien sings him into a deep sleep.
- They reach the Throne room of Morgoth, where they find him at court. Seeing them through his servants, he strips them of their disguises. Luthien declares herself and offers to sing for him. Filled with lust, he accepts.
- Luthien’s voice sends Morgoth and the entire court to sleep. Beren then cuts a Silmaril from Morgoth’s crown. Luthien says they should flee, but Beren tries to cut another one, breaking the blade and awakening Morgoth.
- They flee together while the court still sleeps. They reach the gates but are attacked by Carchoroth. Beren holds up the Silmaril to threaten the wolf, but Carchoroth bites his hand off. The Silmaril burns through the wolf’s stomach, causing him great pain and to flee.
- Luthien sucks the poison out of Beren’s wound, but they are too slow to escape the chasing hordes. Huan reaches them however, and he brings with him the Eagles of Manwe who bear them away.
First Appearance – Carcharoth
Adapted from chapters ‘Of Beren and Luthien’ and ‘Of the Fifth Battle’ from The Silmarillion and ‘The Lay of Leithian’ from The Lays of Beleriand.
- Beren and Luthien Flee Angband – Pete Amachree
- The Attack of Feanor’s Sons – Anke Eissman
- Luthien Before the Throne – neffinesse
- Carcharoth – Justin Gerard
- Word reaches Maedhros from Fingon. Maglor arrives back with Caranthir and Angrod, telling Maedhros that Azaghal is on their side.
- The Eagles carry Beren, Luthien and Huan to Menegroth.
- Thingol has his healers see to them immediately. He confronts Beren, who says he holds a Silmaril in his hand. Thingol only sees his stump. However, after hearing their story Thingol holds Beren above mortal men, and gives him permission to marry Luthien.
- Mablung and Beleg report back to Thingol about Carcharoth ravaging lands near the borders of Doriath.
- Beren and Luthien are married that day.
- Soon after, Thingol gathers a hunting party to kill Carcharoth. Beren, Beleg, Mablung, Huan and several others go along.
- In the forest Beren is assaulted by Carcharoth, tearing him open. Huan leaps onto him and is mortally wounded himself, but manages to kill Carcharoth. He lays down beside Beren and dies.
- Mablung cuts open the belly of Carcharoth and finds the Silmaril, Beren’s hand still holding it. He gives it to Beren, who in turn hands it over to Thingol as his bride price.
- Beren is taken back to Menegroth, where he dies in Luthien’s arms. When Thingol sends elves in to take Beren’s body away, they find Luthien dead as well.
- Hurin gives his son Turin a knife as a gift. Turin in turn gives it to his friend Sador, who needs it for woodworking.
- Hurin is called away to Hithlum by Fingon. He gathers Huor and his army and says farewell to his family.
- Maedhros comes to Hithlum with his brothers, Azaghal of the dwarves and Ulfang of the Easterlings . They find Celegorm and Curufin already there.
- Maedhros and Fingon talk about the deeds of Beren and Luthien. Maedhros sets out a battle plan to eventually besiege and destroy Angband. There Maedhros forms the Union of Maedhros.
- Maeglin brings word of the Union to Turgon, who agrees to join his brother in battle. For the first time, Turgon leads his elves out from Gondolin.
First Appearances – Lalaith, Turin, Sador
Deaths – Beren, Luthien, Huan, Carcharoth
Adapted from chapters ‘Of Beren and Luthien’ and ‘Of the Fifth Battle’ from the Silmarillion, ‘The Lay of Leithian’ from the Lays of Beleriand, ‘Narn i Hin Hurin’ from Unfinished Tales and ‘The Childhood of Turin’ from The Children of Hurin
- The Quest Fulfilled – Anke Eissman
- Beren and Luthien – Lleayhe
- Huan’s Leap – Ted Nasmith
- The Death – Tuuliky
- Union of Maedhros – Eilian