Prologue – Rivendell
- The White Council meets to discuss the Rings of Power.
- Saruman declares the Ring lost in the Belegaer.
- Gaffer Gamgee and a few hobbits discuss Bilbo at the Green Dragon.
- Bilbo continues to write the Red Book.
- Bilbo and Frodo send out invitations to his 111th birthday party.
- Bilbo and Frodo, along with Sam, Merry, Pippin, Fatty, Gaffer and several other hobbits prepare for the party.
- Gandalf arrives and talks with Bilbo.
- Gandalf shows off his fireworks at the party.
- Bilbo gives a speech. At the end of the speech he puts on the Ring and disappears.
- After arguing with Gandalf, Bilbo leaves the Ring behind and leaves.
- Frodo arrives back at Bag End. Gandalf gives him the Ring.
- The next day Gandalf says he must leave immediately. He tells Frodo not to wear the Ring.
- Saruman looks in the Palantir towards Mordor, finding Sauron.
- Easterlings come to Mordor.
- Sauron sends out servants to find the One Ring.
- The Nazgul capture Gollum.
- Gandalf finds and read a scroll written by Isildur about the One Ring.
- A messenger comes to Erebor to speak with Dain. They mention Bilbo and the Ring.
- Dain sends Gloin, Gimli and a few others to Rivendell to warn Bilbo.
First Appearances – Frodo Baggins, Sam Gamgee, Merry Brandybuck, Pippin Took, Fatty Bolger, Odo Proudfoot, Lotho Sackville-Baggins, Robin Smallburrow, Rosie Cotton, Gimli
Adapted from chapters ‘A Long-expected Party’, ‘The Shadow of the Past’, ‘The Council of Elrond’ and Appendix B of The Lord of the Rings.
- Bilbo’s Eleventy First Birthday Party – Paul Raymond Gregory
- The Shire – Roger Garland
- Gandalf Returns to Hobbiton – John Howe
- Bilbo’s Speech – Francesco Amadio
- Saruman and the Palantir – Anna Kulisz
- Nazgul – cblair
- Shagrat comes to the Tower. He shows Sauron the mithril vest. Sauron kills him.
- Sauron commands the Ringwraiths to move forward their armies in the north.
- Sam and Frodo scurry away from Cirith Ungol. The Nazgul return from the battle to Barad-Dur. Frodo and Sam run and hide.
- Under a bridge, they hear an orc company pass above them. They slide down a cliff into a tangle of thorns.
- Frodo struggles to walk. He takes his orc-mail off. They see the west wind blow away some of the black cloud overhead.
- They find a stream, the first water they have had in days.
- Frodo falls asleep and Sam keeps watch. He looks over Mordor and sees in the sky a white star. He falls asleep as well.
- With his elves departing, Elrond and Arwen receive news from Glorfindel of the victory in Gondor and battles in Dale, Mirkwood and Lothlorien.
- King Brand retreats to Erebor. Dain leads the dwarves out to fight. Brand is mortally wounded. Dain defends his body, but is wounded himself. They retreat inside the mountain.
- The Woodland Realm is set alight. Thranduil rides out and repels the attackers.
- Celeborn drives back the third assault. Galadriel says they must destroy Dol Guldur.
- Theoden is carried through the city. Pippin finds Merry.
- Beregond brings Faramir to the Houses of Healing. Eowyn and Merry are also brought there.
- Aragorn waits outside of the city for Denethor to allow him to enter. Imrahil tells him of Denethor’s fate. Aragorn appoints Imrahil as acting leader.
- Gandalf meets Aragorn. He asks for aid in the Houses. He tells Eomer that Eowyn lives.
- Aragorn asks for kingsfoil. Ioreth sends Bergil to fetch some.
- Aragorn heals Faramir, Eowyn and Merry, who awake and speak with him.
- People gather to see Aragorn. They ask for his help in healing. He and the sons of Elrond work through the night.
- Frodo and Sam see the vast armies of Mordor. They have no choice but to walk through.
- They overhear two orcs talk of a great elven warrior on the loose.
- Sam thinks he sees Gollum spying them.
- A battalion of orcs come up behind them. They hide but are spotted and forced into line.
- Frodo stumbles. As he does, another orc company crashes into them. Scuffles break out and Sam drags Frodo out of the lines and into a pit.
- Thranduil and Celeborn meet in Mirkwood, planning to attack Dol Guldur
First Appearances – Ioreth, Brand, Bard II, Thorin III Stonehelm
Deaths – Shagrat. Brand, Dain
Adapted from chapters ‘The Houses of Healing’ and ‘The Land of Shadow’ and Appendix B of The Lord of the Rings and ‘The Quest for Erebor’ of Unfinished Tales
- Mordor – Dario Coelho
- Barad-Dur – Alan Lee
- Stench of Mordor – John Howe
- Sam’s Revelation – Ted Nasmith
- Dale Units vs Rhun – Jan Pospisil
- Athelas – Anke Eissmann
- Mount Doom – John Howe
- A raven, Roac, comes to Erebor, sent by Dain.
- Thorin observes the Elvenking’s armies. He sends Roac back with a message for Dain to bring a host of armoured dwarves.
- The dwarves fortify the gate of Erebor.
- Bard comes to speak with Thorin. Thorin refuses to give up any treasure and will not speak with Thranduil.
- Bilbo attempts to convince the dwarves against war.
- Bilbo takes the Arkenstone and sneaks down to the camps.
- Bilbo is found by Gandalf who takes him to Bard and Thranduil.
- Bilbo gives Thranduil the Arkenstone.
- The next day, Bard shows Thorin the Arkenstone.
- Thorin kicks Bilbo out of the mountain.
- Dain and his dwarves arrive but are blocked by Bard. The dwarves ready to attack.
- Gandalf stands between the armies and tells of Bolg coming from the north.
- The three armies protect the mountain against Bolg. The goblins gain the upper hand.
- Thorin leads the dwarves out of the mountain.
- The Eagles arrive.
- Thorin fights Bolg and is wounded gravely. Fili and Kili fall defending him.
- Beorn arrives and kills Bolg.
- Bilbo is hit on the head by a falling rock and is knocked out.
First Appearance – Roac
Deaths – Fili, Kili, Bolg
Adapted from the chapters ‘The Gathering of the Clouds’, ‘A Thief in the Night’ and ‘The Clouds Burst’ in The Hobbit.
- The Battle of Five Armies – John Blanche
- Thorin and Roac – John Howe
- The Siege of Erebor – Alan Lee
- The Arkenstone – Ulla Thynel
- The Battle of Five Armies – ‘The Last Stand of Thorin Oakenshield’ – Lucas Graciano
- Battle Under the Mountain – Matt Stewart
- Bilbo wakes up to find the battle over.
- Gandalf finds Bilbo and takes him to the camps.
- Bilbo finds Thorin dying. Thorin repents his actions and greed before he dies.
- Thorin is buried in Erebor, with the Arkenstone and Orcrist upon his chest.
- Dain is crowned King Under the Mountain. He gives 1/14th of the treasure to Bard to rebuild Dale.
- Bilbo says goodbye to the dwarves
- Bilbo leaves with Gandalf, Thranduil and Beorn.
- Bilbo narrates the rebuild of Dale, leaving Beorn and returning to Rivendell.
- Elrond offers Bilbo a home at Rivendell, but Bilbo chooses to return home.
- Bilbo digs up the treasure left at the troll’s cave.
- Bilbo returns to Bag End to find the Sackville-Baggins selling off his possessions.
- Bilbo tries to convince everyone that he’s not dead.
- (T.A. 2949-2980)
- Gandalf and Balin visit Bilbo at Bag End.
- Bilbo adopts his young cousin, Frodo.
- Bilbo begins writing the Red Book of Westmarch.
First Appearances – Frodo Baggins, Lobelia Sackville-Baggins, Otho Sackville-Baggins, Gaffer Gamgee, Ted Sandyman, Farmer Cotton
Death – Thorin
Adapted from the chapters ‘The Return Journey’ and ‘The Last Stage’ of The Hobbit and Appendix B of Lord of the Rings.
- The Return Journey – Charles Burggraf
- Beorn Finds Thorin – Joona Kujanen
- The Death of Thorin – John Howe
- Balin – Turner Mohan
- Visit to Bilbo – Alan Lee
- Many Paths to Tread – Jef Murray