- Khamul the Ringwraith sends out armies to attack Lothlorien and the Woodland Realm.
- The army of Dol Guldor attacks Lothlorien. The army is repelled by Celeborn and the power of Galadriel’s ring.
- Sam awakes to find Faramir interrogating Frodo. Faramir alludes to the dream Boromir told of at Rivendell.
- Faramir suspects Frodo of betraying Boromir.
- Faramir confronts Frodo over Boromir’s death, revealing he has seen the funeral boat. Frodo does not believe Boromir is dead.
- Faramir cannot hold back his grief, asking for answers about Boromir’s death.
- Faramir decides to take them back to Minas Tirith.
- Frodo and Sam are blindfolded and taken west. Faramir asks questions about Isildur’s Bane, suspecting that Frodo carries it.
- Faramir removes their blindfolds and shows them the Window on the West.
- He tells them about the glory of Gondor, including fighting alongside Boromir. (flashback)
- Sam accidentally reveals Boromir tried to take the Ring. Frodo shows Faramir the Ring, but he has no interest in it. Frodo tells him of the quest to destroy it.
- Frodo and Sam go to sleep. Faramir recounts the battle of Osgiliath, where Boromir, Faramir and a company held the bridge against the Witch-King. The bridge was eventually destroyed. Only four survived.
- Faramir hears of Gollum in the river, waking Frodo and Sam.
- Faramir shows them Gollum. Frodo pleads for them not to kill him.
- Frodo persuades Gollum to come with him, but Faramir’s men capture him.
- Faramir interrogates Gollum, who does not co-operate. Frodo intervenes and Faramir trusts his judgment.
- Faramir takes them back to the road. He warns Frodo about Gollum and Minas Morgul, but Frodo says he must continue.
- Faramir leads his men back to Osgiliath.
- Gollum leads them on. From afar, they see the shape of the Morgul Valley and Minas Morgul.
- Sauron commands the Witch-King to lead the army to Minas Morgul and then to Gondor.
Adapted from chapters ‘The Window on the West’, ‘The Forbidden Pool’ and ‘Journey to the Cross-Roads’ and Appendix B of The Lord of the Rings.
- The Terrace at Henneth Annun – Ted Nasmith
- Khamul the Black Easterling – Unknown
- A Pert Servant – Anke Eissmann
- The Window on the West – Ted Nasmith
- The Forbidden Pool – Anke Eissmann
- Faramir Bids Farewell – Anke Eissman
- Gwaihir bears Gandalf over Mordor to Mount Doom.
- Bard II and Thorin Stonehelm drive the enemy from Dale.
- Celeborn and Thranduil destroy Dol Guldur. Galadriel purifies the fortress.
- All over Middle Earth, the enemy flees.
- Sam and Frodo awaken to find Gandalf. They are taken outside where the whole Army of the West celebrates their deeds.
- They are reunited with Pippin, Merry, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli.
- Elrond receives word of Sauron’s defeat. He gives leave for Arwen to marry Aragorn.
- Faramir and Eowyn speak of their dreams, a wave climbing over green lands. As they do so, the shadows depart and the sun is unveiled.
- Faramir shows Eowyn the beauty of healing and of the gardens. He offers her his love.
- The Army of the West return to the city. Faramir gives Aragorn the keys and the crown of Earnur.
- Gandalf crowns Aragorn King of Gondor and Arnor.
- Aragorn enters Minas Tirith and sits on his throne.
- Aragorn pardons the Easterlings and the Haradrim. He pardons Beregond from death, but banishes him from Minas Tirith, setting him to instead be captain of the White Company in Ithilien.
- Eowyn speaks with Aragorn. Afterwards, she agrees to marry Faramir.
- Elladan and Elrohir meet the escort of Arwen, including Elrond, Glorfindel, Galadriel and Celeborn.
- Gandalf takes Aragorn high into the mountains. They look across his realm and find a sapling of the White Tree.
- Weeks later, Aragorn and Arwen are wed.
- The Fellowship and their friends leave Minas Tirith.
- King Theoden is laid to rest. Faramir and Eowyn are betrothed.
- Arwen speaks to Frodo of her place on the ships into the west.
- Elrond and Arwen go into the hills where they say their final goodbyes.
- Treebeard reveals he has released Saruman.
- Legolas and Gimli leave the Fellowship, travelling through Fangorn.
- Aragorn says farewell. He watches the Fellowship go north, the green fire of the Elfstone in his hand.
- They come across Saruman and offer him mercy. He declines.
- The company reaches Rivendell. Frodo reunites with Bilbo
Adapted from chapters ‘The Field of Cormallen’, ‘The Steward and the King’ and ‘Many Partings’ and Appendices A and B of The Lord of the Rings.
- The Steward and the King – Anke Eissmann
- The Field of Cormallen – Tolman Cotton
- The Sun Unveiled – Ted Nasmith
- The Crowning of Elessar – Francesco Amadio
- The Judgement on Beregond – Maureval
- Elessar and Mithrandir – Peter Xavier Price
- King and His Queen – Janka Lateckova
- Arwen’s Gift – Anke Eissmann
- Journey Home – Anna Lee
- Saruman is Overtaken – Ted Nasmith
- The White Council leads the army of Lothlorien to Dol Guldor.
- The White Council defeat the orcs of Dol Guldor and drive out Sauron.
- Bolg leads an army of orcs and wargs past Beorn’s lands.
- Gandalf leaves the White Council.
- Gandalf comes across Bolg’s army on the borders of Mirkwood. He turns east and rides through the forest.
- Smaug hurls boulders and flames against the secret door.
- He flies towards Laketown
- Bilbo finds the thrush and writes a message for it to find Bard.
- Smaug comes upon Laketown. He flames the entire town, killing many.
- Bard and his men shoot at Smaug, but the arrows deflect off him.
- The thrush finds Bard with the message. Bard finds Smaug’s weak spot and hits it with his Black Arrow.
- Smaug dies, falling upon the town.
- The dwarves go down and discover the gold. Thorin gifts Bilbo with a Mithril coat.
- Through the front gate they see the destruction of Laketown.
- The survivors reach the shore. The people hail Bard.
- The raft-elves come upon them. Bard tells of Smaug’s death.
- A messenger comes to Thranduil, informing him of Smaug’s death.
- Bard argues with the Master about their direction. The people side with Bard and drive the Master away.
- Thranduil and his elves come to Esgaroth and help the survivors.
- Thranduil talks with Bard about the dwarves and their gold. They both agree they deserve portions.
Death – Smaug
Adapted from chapters ‘Not at Home’, ‘Fire and Water’ and ‘The Gathering of the Clouds’ in The Hobbit and Appendix B of Lord of the Rings.
- Gathering of the Clouds – David Wyatt
- Attack on Dol Guldur – Angus McBride
- Bilbo and the Thrush – Alarie
- Alert the Folk – John Howe
- The Black Arrow – Ted Nasmith
- Gandalf and Erebor – minenanoah