- A great west wind blows away the darkness in front of the Rohirrim.
- Dernhelm breaks rank and moves close to the King. The riders pass through the wall.
- Theoden looks upon Minas Tirith. He speaks to his riders, issuing commands to Eomer, Grimbold and Elfhelm. He blows the great horn himself.
- The Witch-King leaves the gate.
- The Rohirrim charge into the orc lines. They overrun the northern half of the Pelennor.
- Elfhelm drives the orcs and siege engines into the fire pits.
- The Witch-King mounts a fell-beast, returning to attack the Rohirrim.
- The Haradrim lead their cavalry and mumakil against Theoden.
- Theoden rides through the Haradrim, slaying their chieftain. The Rohirrim force the remainder to retreat.
- Pippin finds Beregond at the citadel. He tells Beregond of Denethor’s plan, yet Beregond has to break orders to save Faramir.
- Pippin finds Gandalf. Imrahil takes over defense of the gate. Gandalf rides with Pippin to the tombs.
- Beregond attacks Denethor, but is set upon by his guards. He slays two.
- Gandalf arrives. He takes out the two guards and confronts Denethor. Unable to reason with him, he pushes him aside and takes Faramir from the pyre. He pleads with Denethor to go down to the battle.
- Denethor breaks his Steward’s staff on his knee and sets himself aflame, dying on the pyre with the Palantir in his hands.
- Theoden calls his riders to him. As he does so, the Witch-King attacks him from the air, killing Snowmane. Theoden is crushed by the horse’s body. Dernhelm and Merry are knocked from their horse.
- Dernhelm stands between the Witch-King and Theoden. She reveals herself as Eowyn.
- Eowyn beheads the fell-beast. The Witch-King shatters Eowyn’s shield, but is stabbed by Merry from behind. Eowyn drives her sword between the Witch-King’s helm and armour, killing him. She collapses.
- Merry finds Theoden alive. Eomer rides up and Eothain picks up the King’s banner. Theoden hails Eomer as king before he dies.
- The Haradrim return with many more horsemen and mumakil. Eomer finds Eowyn on the field. In deep anger he and his men ride towards the mumakil, crying ‘death!’
- The King’s men bear Theoden and Eowyn off the battlefield.
- Imrahil leads the remaining strength of the city out of the gates. He finds the King’s men and shows them Eowyn is still alive.
- Gandalf and Pippin see their hopes fade on the battlefield. Eomer and Imrahil are surrounded and they spot the ships on the Anduin.
- Eomer prepares for a last stand. But out of the ships comes the standard of Arwen, followed by Aragorn and 4000 men of Gondor.
- The three armies fight long, until the forces of Mordor retreat.
- The river and Pelennor burn red in the night. Aragorn looks over the slain, including Forlong, Dunhere, Hirluin, Grimbold and Halbarad.
Deaths – Theoden, Witch-King, Denethor, Halbarad, Grimbold, Guthlaf, Deorwine, Duilin, Derufin, Forlong, Gothmog, Hirluin, Dunhere, Fastred
Adapted from chapters ‘The Ride of the Rohirrim’, ‘The Battle of the Pelennor Fields’ and ‘The Pyre of Denethor’ of The Lord of the Rings.
- Eowyn’s Stand in the Pelennor Fields – Laurent Alquier
- The Ride of the Rohirrim – Abe Papakhian
- The Ride of the Rohirrim – Graham Wyckford
- Pelennor Fields – Ruizburgos
- The Black Serpent Founders – Anke Eissmann
- Beregond – Magali Villeneuve
- The Pyre of Denethor – Anke Eissmann
- Eowyn and the Nazgul – Matt Stewart
- Eowyn and the Witch-King – Alarie
- Eowyn and the Lord of the Nazgul – Ted Nasmith
- Eowyn and the Lord of the Nazgul – Donato Giancola
- Merry and Theoden – Francesco Amadio
- Thus Came Aragorn – Ted Nasmith
- Shagrat comes to the Tower. He shows Sauron the mithril vest. Sauron kills him.
- Sauron commands the Ringwraiths to move forward their armies in the north.
- Sam and Frodo scurry away from Cirith Ungol. The Nazgul return from the battle to Barad-Dur. Frodo and Sam run and hide.
- Under a bridge, they hear an orc company pass above them. They slide down a cliff into a tangle of thorns.
- Frodo struggles to walk. He takes his orc-mail off. They see the west wind blow away some of the black cloud overhead.
- They find a stream, the first water they have had in days.
- Frodo falls asleep and Sam keeps watch. He looks over Mordor and sees in the sky a white star. He falls asleep as well.
- With his elves departing, Elrond and Arwen receive news from Glorfindel of the victory in Gondor and battles in Dale, Mirkwood and Lothlorien.
- King Brand retreats to Erebor. Dain leads the dwarves out to fight. Brand is mortally wounded. Dain defends his body, but is wounded himself. They retreat inside the mountain.
- The Woodland Realm is set alight. Thranduil rides out and repels the attackers.
- Celeborn drives back the third assault. Galadriel says they must destroy Dol Guldur.
- Theoden is carried through the city. Pippin finds Merry.
- Beregond brings Faramir to the Houses of Healing. Eowyn and Merry are also brought there.
- Aragorn waits outside of the city for Denethor to allow him to enter. Imrahil tells him of Denethor’s fate. Aragorn appoints Imrahil as acting leader.
- Gandalf meets Aragorn. He asks for aid in the Houses. He tells Eomer that Eowyn lives.
- Aragorn asks for kingsfoil. Ioreth sends Bergil to fetch some.
- Aragorn heals Faramir, Eowyn and Merry, who awake and speak with him.
- People gather to see Aragorn. They ask for his help in healing. He and the sons of Elrond work through the night.
- Frodo and Sam see the vast armies of Mordor. They have no choice but to walk through.
- They overhear two orcs talk of a great elven warrior on the loose.
- Sam thinks he sees Gollum spying them.
- A battalion of orcs come up behind them. They hide but are spotted and forced into line.
- Frodo stumbles. As he does, another orc company crashes into them. Scuffles break out and Sam drags Frodo out of the lines and into a pit.
- Thranduil and Celeborn meet in Mirkwood, planning to attack Dol Guldur
First Appearances – Ioreth, Brand, Bard II, Thorin III Stonehelm
Deaths – Shagrat. Brand, Dain
Adapted from chapters ‘The Houses of Healing’ and ‘The Land of Shadow’ and Appendix B of The Lord of the Rings and ‘The Quest for Erebor’ of Unfinished Tales
- Mordor – Dario Coelho
- Barad-Dur – Alan Lee
- Stench of Mordor – John Howe
- Sam’s Revelation – Ted Nasmith
- Dale Units vs Rhun – Jan Pospisil
- Athelas – Anke Eissmann
- Mount Doom – John Howe
- Legolas and Gimli reunite with Merry and Pippin.
- In the tents, Aragorn, Gandalf, Imrahil, Eomer, Elladan and Elrohir debate their next move.
- Gandalf reveals the majority of Sauron’s host is still in Mordor. He suggests an attack on the Black Gate. The captains agree.
- Frodo and Sam scurry from pit to pit, evading the legions of orcs.
- Sam offers to carry the Ring for Frodo, but Frodo refuses.
- The Army of the West gathers on Pelennor. Aragorn tells Merry he cannot go with them.
- Merry and Bergil watch the army ride out. A Nazgul also watches.
- Eowyn speaks to Faramir of her desire to follow Aragorn.
- Khamul reports to Sauron of Aragorn leading the army. Sauron orders the Mouth to lead the armies to the Gate.
- The orcs push to the north. Frodo and Sam journey along the road to Barad-Dur.
- Aragorn looks upon Minas Morgul. They burn the valley.
- Frodo stumbles. They pass the Tower and turn south to Mt Doom.
- Mablung thwarts an ambush. The heralds pronounce the coming of King Elessar.
- Men cower and falter. Aragorn sends them to retake Cair Andros.
- Frodo and Sam discard their armour. Sam gives Frodo the last water.
- Aragorn sets his armies on the slag hills. He unfurls his banner and demands Sauron come forth.
- The Mouth of Sauron rides from the Gate. He shows them Frodo’s mithril vest and Sam’s dagger.
- Gandalf is disheartened, but he rejects the Mouth’s terms. The Mouth rides back to the Gate. Orcs pour out and from the hills either side. Easterlings march from behind the towers.
- Sauron’s gaze passes by and turns north. Frodo sees Sauron.
- Frodo claims he can no longer remember food, grass, star or flower. He collapses, attempts to get up but collapses again. Sam carries him.
- Sam reaches the Sammath Naur.
- The Army of the West is surrounded. Aragorn speaks to the men. They attack the armies encircling them on the slag hills.
- Hill trolls slam into the lines of Gondor. Beregond is knocked down. Pippin stabs the troll, which collapses on him.
- The Nazgul attack. In the distance, Pippin sees the Eagles approaching and hears cries of ‘The Eagles are coming’
- Sam is hit from behind by a rock. Gollum attacks Frodo. Frodo fights back and commands him to leave.
- Sam attacks Gollum before he can strike again. Frodo runs into Mt Doom.
- Gollum flees. Sam runs into Mt Doom. Frodo claims the Ring for himself. Gollum returns and knocks Sam down.
- Sauron senses the Ring. The Nazgul race towards the mountain.
- Gollum fights with Frodo. He bites off Frodo’s finger.
- Gollum dances with joy. He keeps his eye on the Ring, dancing closer to the end. With a cry of ‘Precious!’ he falls into the mountain.
- The mountain explodes. Fire licks the roof. Sam carries Frodo out from the mountain. Sam watches Barad-Dur crumble and battlements, towers and hills collapse all around it. The Nazgul are caught in the flames, falling out of the sky.
- Sauron collapses in his falling tower. His body withers and disintegrates.
- Gandalf stands upon the hill. The hosts of Mordor flee. The Towers of the Teeth collapse. The shadow of Sauron rises above Mordor, hand stretching out towards Gandalf, before being blown away by a wind from the West.
- The Army of the West charges the remainder of Sauron’s forces, most of who flee. Gimli lifts the troll off Pippin.
- Frodo and Sam collapse on an island in the fire, watching the clear sky to the north.
First Appearance – Mouth of Sauron
Deaths – Sauron, Gollum, Khamul, Mouth of Sauron
Adapted from chapters ‘The Last Debate’, ‘The Black Gate Opens’ and ‘Mount Doom’ of The Lord of the Rings.
- At the Foot of Mt Doom – Ted Nasmith
- Legolas and Gimli – Peter Xavier Price
- The Houses of Healing – Ana Kusicka
- Mouth of Sauron – John Howe
- Frodo and Sam on Mount Doom – Soni Alcorn-Hender
- Endgame on the Mountain – Ted Nasmith
- At the Cracks of Doom – Ted Nasmith
- The Shadow of Sauron – Ted Nasmith
- On the Steps of Mount Doom – Donato Giancola
- Gwaihir bears Gandalf over Mordor to Mount Doom.
- Bard II and Thorin Stonehelm drive the enemy from Dale.
- Celeborn and Thranduil destroy Dol Guldur. Galadriel purifies the fortress.
- All over Middle Earth, the enemy flees.
- Sam and Frodo awaken to find Gandalf. They are taken outside where the whole Army of the West celebrates their deeds.
- They are reunited with Pippin, Merry, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli.
- Elrond receives word of Sauron’s defeat. He gives leave for Arwen to marry Aragorn.
- Faramir and Eowyn speak of their dreams, a wave climbing over green lands. As they do so, the shadows depart and the sun is unveiled.
- Faramir shows Eowyn the beauty of healing and of the gardens. He offers her his love.
- The Army of the West return to the city. Faramir gives Aragorn the keys and the crown of Earnur.
- Gandalf crowns Aragorn King of Gondor and Arnor.
- Aragorn enters Minas Tirith and sits on his throne.
- Aragorn pardons the Easterlings and the Haradrim. He pardons Beregond from death, but banishes him from Minas Tirith, setting him to instead be captain of the White Company in Ithilien.
- Eowyn speaks with Aragorn. Afterwards, she agrees to marry Faramir.
- Elladan and Elrohir meet the escort of Arwen, including Elrond, Glorfindel, Galadriel and Celeborn.
- Gandalf takes Aragorn high into the mountains. They look across his realm and find a sapling of the White Tree.
- Weeks later, Aragorn and Arwen are wed.
- The Fellowship and their friends leave Minas Tirith.
- King Theoden is laid to rest. Faramir and Eowyn are betrothed.
- Arwen speaks to Frodo of her place on the ships into the west.
- Elrond and Arwen go into the hills where they say their final goodbyes.
- Treebeard reveals he has released Saruman.
- Legolas and Gimli leave the Fellowship, travelling through Fangorn.
- Aragorn says farewell. He watches the Fellowship go north, the green fire of the Elfstone in his hand.
- They come across Saruman and offer him mercy. He declines.
- The company reaches Rivendell. Frodo reunites with Bilbo
Adapted from chapters ‘The Field of Cormallen’, ‘The Steward and the King’ and ‘Many Partings’ and Appendices A and B of The Lord of the Rings.
- The Steward and the King – Anke Eissmann
- The Field of Cormallen – Tolman Cotton
- The Sun Unveiled – Ted Nasmith
- The Crowning of Elessar – Francesco Amadio
- The Judgement on Beregond – Maureval
- Elessar and Mithrandir – Peter Xavier Price
- King and His Queen – Janka Lateckova
- Arwen’s Gift – Anke Eissmann
- Journey Home – Anna Lee
- Saruman is Overtaken – Ted Nasmith
- Merry and Pippin drive the last of the ruffians from the Shire.
- Sam plants the seed found in the box of Earth Galadriel found him.
- Over the next year, the Shire is rebuilt.
- Frodo falls ill in March, the anniversary of his poisoning.
- Merry and Pippin are hailed as heroes all over the Shire.
- Sam marries Rosie. They have a child, whom Frodo helps name Elanor.
- Galadriel and Gandalf come to Rivendell. With Elrond they decide it’s time to leave Middle-Earth.
- Elrond gives his sons their choice to go into the West or become mortal. They are undecided, but choose to stay for the time being.
- With Bilbo, Glorfindel and a few other Noldor, the keepers leave Rivendell for the last time.
- Frodo plans to go to Rivendell to see Bilbo. He gives Sam the keys to Bag End and the Red Book.
- They meet the keepers on the road.
The Grey Havens
- They pass the white towers Frodo dreamed of and come to the Grey Havens.
- Cirdan welcomes them at the gates. Gandalf is also there, with Merry and Pippin.
- Frodo reveals to Sam he is leaving Middle Earth with Bilbo. He says goodbye to his friends and leaves on the ship with the Ringbearers.
- Sam returns to Bag End, reuniting with Rosie and Elanor.
- Frodo sees the shores of Valinor, and the ship of Earendil.
- Frodo narrates the fates of the Fellowship.
- Sam becomes mayor and has thirteen children.
- Merry becomes Master of Buckland.
- Pippin becomes Thain.
- Aragorn reforms the Great Council, restores Orthanc and Ithilien, renews the Oath of Cirion and declares the Shire a free land.
- Aragorn stays in Annuminas and visits The Shire, he and Arwen have a son and several daughters.
- Gimli rebuilds the Gate of Minas Tirith.
- Legolas and Gimli visit the Glittering Caves and Ithilien. Gimli remains in Aglarond, becoming Lord of the Glittering Caves.
- Faramir and Eowyn wed. They rule Ithilien, with Beregond as Captain and Legolas helping to restore Ithilien to its former glory.
- The light of the elves diminish and the elven realms are eventually abandoned. Celeborn travels over the sea, taking with him the last memory of the Noldor.
- In old age, Eomer invites Merry and Pippin to Edoras. He dies and they move on to Gondor.
- Merry and Pippin die in Gondor. They are entombed beside Aragorn, after his death many years later.
- Arwen surrenders her life at Lothlorien.
- After Aragorn’s funeral, Legolas and Gimli sail down the Anduin.
- After Rosie’s death, Sam leaves the Red Book to Elanor.
The Grey Havens
- The boats of Legolas and Sam see the tower of Avallone and behold the white shores of Valinor, where old friends await.
First Appearances – Eldarion, Elanor
Deaths – Aragorn, Arwen, Eomer, Merry, Pippin, Rosie Cotton
Adapted from chapters ‘The Scouring of the Shire’ and ‘The Grey Havens’ and Appendices A and B of The Lord of the Rings.
- Departure at the Grey Havens – Ted Nasmith
- Hobbiton – Francesco Amadio
- Elves Leave Middle-earth – Araniart
- Grey Havens – Paul Lasaine
- Grey Havens – Francesco Amadio
- Sam and Rosie – Roger Garland
- Elessar – John Howe
- Aglarond – Glittering Caves – Iomehir
- Eowyn and Faramir – Matt Stewart
- Aragorn’s Tomb – Ben Curtis
- Legolas and Gimli Reach the Shores of Valinor – Ted Nasmith