- Glorfindel comes to Elrond with Haldir of Lothlorien. Haldir brings news of the breaking of the Fellowship.
- Saruman sends his army out with the purpose of killing Theoden of Rohan’s son, Theodred.
Fords of Isen
- Theodred and his men are attacked. Theodred is slain.
- Frodo and Sam wander Emyn Muil, frequently becoming lost.
- They see the way down at the edge of a cliff, but cannot get down.
- As they try and climb down the cliff, a dark shape flies overhead and Frodo falls to a ledge below.
- Sam remembers his elven rope and they climb the rest of the way down.
- Sam pulls on the rope, which surprisingly unfastens and falls down.
- In the rain that night, Sam sees a creature crawling towards them. They see that it is Gollum, who jumps on Sam. Frodo subdues him with Sting. Gollum tries to escape but they capture him and bind him with the rope.
- Gollum vows obedience and leads them on towards Mordor.
- Gollum forces them to travel by night. He chokes on lembas bread and refuses to eat more.
- Sam waits until Gollum falls asleep before resting himself. When they wake they find Gollum gone.
- Gollum reappears later, with fish.
- They walk through the Marshes. Gollum says not to follow the lights.
- At night, a Ringwraith flies overhead.
- As they come closer to Mordor, Frodo hears Gollum talking to himself over his desire for the Ring and his vow to serve Frodo.
First Appearances – Theodred, Grimbold, Elfhelm, Dunhere
Death – Theodred
Adapted from chapters ‘The Taming of Smeagol’ and ‘The Passage of the Marshes’ of The Lord of the Rings and ‘The Battles of the Fords of Isen’ from Unfinished Tales.
- Through the Marshes – Ted Nasmith
- Orc Assault – Derek Zabrocki
- Dunhere – Jeff Himmelman
- No Way Down – Ted Nasmith
- The Taming of Smeagol – Alan Lee
- The Dead Marshes – Inger Edelfedlt
- Faramir sees the funeral boat of Boromir.
- Gollum remembers his past, including his murder of Deagol
- A nazgul flies over Frodo, Sam and Gollum. Frodo thanks Gollum, but Gollum refuses to go further. Frodo must threaten him with Sting to make him move.
- Above the slag hills, they finally see the Black Gate.
- The Gate is closely guarded. Gollum says they must not go inside, but Sam and Frodo reply that they must.
- Before Frodo attempts to enter the Gate, Gollum tells them of other ways into Mordor.
- Gollum tells of the passage above Minas Morgul. He pleads with the hobbits to take that path instead.
- Four Nazgul fly out above the Gate. Easterlings arrive as well. Gollum leads Frodo and Sam away from the Black Gate.
- Faramir brings the cloven horn of Boromir to his father. Denethor angrily orders him to Ithilien.
- Frodo and Sam reach green land again, where they bathe in the water.
- Gollum hunts for food, bringing back rabbits.
- Sam notices graven lines on Frodo’s face and neck.
- Sam cooks the rabbits in a stew. Frodo awakes and warns Sam of the fire.
- The hobbits are found by four men. One of them is Faramir.
- Faramir does not believe the hobbits are travellers. Frodo explains their separation from Aragorn and Boromir.
- Faramir sets a guard on the hobbits and disappears into the forest.
- From afar, Frodo and Sam witness Faramir’s men attacking a company of Haradrim.
- A mumak comes out of the forest and crushes the remainder of the Haradrim.
- Faramir returns and orders Frodo and Sam to be taken with them.
First Appearance – Denethor, Deagol, Mablung, Damrod, Anborn
Death – Deagol
Adapted from chapters ‘The Shadow of the Past’, ‘The Black Gate is Closed’, ‘Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit’ and ‘The Window on the West’ and Appendix A of The Lord of the Rings.
- The Black Gate is Closed – Michael Kaluta
- The Funeral Boat of Boromir – Anke Eissmann
- Smeagol and Deagol – Jos
- The Black Gate is Closed – Alan Lee
- First Sight of Ithilien – Ted Nasmith
- Encounter with Faramir – Anke Eissmann
- An Oliphaunt – Alan Lee
- The Fallen Southron – Anke Eissmann
- Khamul the Ringwraith sends out armies to attack Lothlorien and the Woodland Realm.
- The army of Dol Guldor attacks Lothlorien. The army is repelled by Celeborn and the power of Galadriel’s ring.
- Sam awakes to find Faramir interrogating Frodo. Faramir alludes to the dream Boromir told of at Rivendell.
- Faramir suspects Frodo of betraying Boromir.
- Faramir confronts Frodo over Boromir’s death, revealing he has seen the funeral boat. Frodo does not believe Boromir is dead.
- Faramir cannot hold back his grief, asking for answers about Boromir’s death.
- Faramir decides to take them back to Minas Tirith.
- Frodo and Sam are blindfolded and taken west. Faramir asks questions about Isildur’s Bane, suspecting that Frodo carries it.
- Faramir removes their blindfolds and shows them the Window on the West.
- He tells them about the glory of Gondor, including fighting alongside Boromir. (flashback)
- Sam accidentally reveals Boromir tried to take the Ring. Frodo shows Faramir the Ring, but he has no interest in it. Frodo tells him of the quest to destroy it.
- Frodo and Sam go to sleep. Faramir recounts the battle of Osgiliath, where Boromir, Faramir and a company held the bridge against the Witch-King. The bridge was eventually destroyed. Only four survived.
- Faramir hears of Gollum in the river, waking Frodo and Sam.
- Faramir shows them Gollum. Frodo pleads for them not to kill him.
- Frodo persuades Gollum to come with him, but Faramir’s men capture him.
- Faramir interrogates Gollum, who does not co-operate. Frodo intervenes and Faramir trusts his judgment.
- Faramir takes them back to the road. He warns Frodo about Gollum and Minas Morgul, but Frodo says he must continue.
- Faramir leads his men back to Osgiliath.
- Gollum leads them on. From afar, they see the shape of the Morgul Valley and Minas Morgul.
- Sauron commands the Witch-King to lead the army to Minas Morgul and then to Gondor.
Adapted from chapters ‘The Window on the West’, ‘The Forbidden Pool’ and ‘Journey to the Cross-Roads’ and Appendix B of The Lord of the Rings.
- The Terrace at Henneth Annun – Ted Nasmith
- Khamul the Black Easterling – Unknown
- A Pert Servant – Anke Eissmann
- The Window on the West – Ted Nasmith
- The Forbidden Pool – Anke Eissmann
- Faramir Bids Farewell – Anke Eissman
- Sam awakens to find Gollum gone. Sam is relieved but Frodo reminds him of the help Gollum has given them.
- The daylight becomes darker. Gollum returns and leads them east.
- They come to the Cross-Roads. They see a headless statue of a King. The head lies nearby, crowned with flowers.
- Gollum pushes them onwards down the Southward road.
- The air becomes filled with a foul stench. Frodo begs for rest but Gollum and Sam push him to keep going.
- The Tower of the Moon rises in the distance.
- They move past the north gate of Minas Morgul. As they do so, the tower erupts in thunder and the gates open.
- The Witch-King leads a great host out of the tower. Frodo and Sam hide, yet the Witch-King halts near them. Frodo reaches for the Ring, but the Witch-King keeps moving.
- They start to climb the Straight Stair
- The ents reach the edge of Fangorn. Treebeard commands them to destroy Isengard.
- The ents break down the walls of Isengard despite being shot at with arrows.
- Treebeard breaks the gate. Bregalad sees Saruman inside and rushes at him, but Saruman reaches Orthanc safely.
- Saruman activates vents all over Isengard, sending fiery blasts into the air. Beechbone is caught in a blast, burning to death.
- Treebeard goes berserk. His roars crack stone and the ents destroy Saruman’s machinery.
- Frodo and Sam struggle up the stair, forced to climb with hands and feet.
- Frodo becomes distraught, fearing he is too late in destroying the Ring.
- They reach the end of the Straight Stair, but Gollum says the Winding Stair is still to come.
- Gollum scampers off. Frodo and Sam talk of old songs and stories and whether they will ever be characters in them.
- Gollum talks to himself about Frodo and his plan. He comes to a passage and talks with something inside.
- Gollum returns to find Frodo asleep. He feels guilty, even feeling true affection for Frodo. Sam wakes up and accuses Gollum of sneaking.
- Frodo frees Gollum from his bond, but Gollum says he must lead them to the end. They continue on.
- The ents have dug great trenches. Bregalad destroys the dam of Isen, flooding Isengard.
- The remaining orcs try and escape, but are caught by the forest of Huorns surrounding Isengard.
- Wormtongue arrives on horseback. Treebeard captures him.
- Saruman berates Wormtongue for losing control of Theoden.
- Treebeard thanks Merry and Pippin. The hobbits find pipe-weed in a storeroom.
Death – Beechbone
Adapted from chapters ‘Journey to the Cross-Roads’, ‘The Stairs of Cirith Ungol’ and ‘Flotsam and Jetsam’ of The Lord of the Rings.
- Minas Morgul – Matthew Burton
- The Day Without Dawn – Anke Eissmann
- At the Cross-Roads – Ted Nasmith
- The Tower of the Moon – Ted Nasmith
- Minas Morgul – John Howe
- The Wrath of the Ents – Ted Nasmith
- Gollum’s Debate – Ted Nasmith
- The Ents Destroy Isengard – John Howe
- Sauron sees Pippin in the Palantir. He questions about the Ring, but is cut off. He orders the Nazgul to make for Isengard.
Gap of Rohan
- Gandalf takes the Palantir and chastises Pippin.
- Gandalf explains the Palantir and how Saruman was corrupted by it.
- They debate their next move, with Gandalf noting that the confusion caused by Pippin could work to their advantage.
- Sam helps Frodo up the last part of the Winding Stair. Gollum shows where to go next: a dark tunnel.
- Despite the terrible smell and the possibility of orcs, Frodo and Sam enter.
- The hobbits can only move forward by feeling the walls. They call out for Gollum, but he has disappeared.
- Frodo and Sam continue on. Frodo begins to feel an overwhelming sense of dread.
- They hear scurrying and hissing around them. They feel dead bodies beneath their feet. Frodo raises the Phial of Galadriel.
- The light illuminates hundreds of eyes. As they move closer, they are revealed to belong to a giant spider, Shelob.
- Frodo walks towards the eyes, which retreat from the light.
- Frodo and Sam flee, but are blocked by strong cobwebs. Frodo cuts them with Sting and they head for the exit.
- Sam sees orcs ahead and tries to warn Frodo. Shelob attacks, cutting off Sam. Sam goes to save Frodo but is dragged away by Gollum.
- Shelob attacks Frodo, who fights but is poisoned and falls unconscious.
- Sam fights against Gollum. He threatens to stab him and Gollum flees.
- Sam attacks Shelob, who is over Frodo’s body. He sees Frodo, seemingly dead, wrapped in web.
- Sam struggles with the spider, stabbing it in the eye. Shelob overpowers him, but Sam stabs her in the belly. Shelob flees.
- Sam checks Frodo’s heartbeat, but finds nothing.
- Sam thinks Frodo is dead and takes the Ring. He hears orc voices coming.
Gap of Rohan
- A Nazgul flies over the group, forcing them to hide.
- Gandalf predicts that Sauron will move to attack Minas Tirith. He advises Theoden and Aragorn to ride to Gondor. He gives Aragorn the Palantir.
- Gandalf takes Pippin with him and leaves on Shadowfax.
- An army again approaches Lothlorien. Galadriel says unless Sauron is defeated they will eventually be overrun.
- Eowyn receives word that the men were victorious, yet the riders say Theoden may yet ride to Gondor. Eowyn prepares for them to leave for Dunharrow.
- Elrond and Glorfindel talk about the fate of Middle-Earth. Elrond decides to prepare his elves to leave for the Grey Havens.
- Sam puts on the Ring. The orcs take Frodo. Sam overhears them talking about Shelob’s poison and how it paralyses, not kills.
- Sam follows the orcs into Mordor.
- The Witch-King’s army moves towards Osgiliath, where Faramir awaits.
First Appearances – Shelob, Gorbag, Shagrat
Death – Shelob
Adapted from chapters ‘The Palantir’, ‘Shelob’s Lair’ and ‘The Choices of Master Samwise’ and Appendix B of The Lord of the Rings
- Shelob – John Howe
- Sauron Speaks With Palantir – Hive17
- Shelob’s Lair – Rob Alexander
- Shelob About to Leap on Frodo – John Howe
- Sam and Shelob – John Howe
- Shelob’s Retreat – Ted Nasmith
- The Choices of Master Samwise – Turner Mohan
- Gandalf on Shadowfax Before Minas Tirith – Luca Michelucci
- Council of War – MelorianJ
- Sam Enters Mordor Alone – Ted Nasmith
- An army ambushes the city at Cair Andros and overruns it.
- Aragorn and the Grey Company come to Dunharrow. They find Theoden has not arrived.
- Aragorn meets with Eowyn again. She welcomes the Grey Company with supper.
- Eowyn attempts to dissuade Aragorn from the Paths of the Dead. When she fails, she asks to accompany him herself. Aragorn will not allow it.
- The Grey Company leave at daybreak. Eowyn watches them, standing still as stone.
- Shagrat strips Frodo of all his effects. He has orders to take them to Barad-Dur. Gorbag attempts to take the mithril shirt.
- Shagrat takes Frodo to the top of the tower. Gorbag begins a fight with Shagrat’s orcs.
- Sam approaches the gate of Cirith Ungol. He sees Mt Doom.
- Sam takes off the Ring. He cannot pass the gate. He uses the Phial of Galadriel and passes. The statues of the Watchers cry out.
- Sam sees the bodies of the orcs. He continues up the tower. He encounters orcs, including Shagrat, who flees.
- Sam follows an orc into a secret chamber. He kills the orc and finds Frodo.
- Frodo is delighted to see Sam, but calls him a thief when he sees the Ring. He apologises soon after. Sam finds orc armour and they put it on.
- Aragorn leads the company to a dark door. Despite their fear, they all follow Aragorn into the Paths of the Dead.
The Paths of the Dead
- Gimli is the last to enter. He hurries to catch up. They come to a clearing, where a skeleton lies. Aragorn kneels at the body but suddenly stands and addresses the darkness to follow.
- Legolas and Elladan say they see the dead following.
- With the Phial, Frodo and Sam move past the Watchers and into Mordor.
First Appearance – Snaga (II)
Death – Gorbag, Snaga
Adapted from chapters ‘The Passing of the Grey Company’ and ‘The Tower of Cirith Ungol’ and Appendix B of The Lord of the RIngs.
- Across Gorgoroth – Ted Nasmith
- Aragorn & Eowyn – Alan Lee
- Passing of the Grey Company – JeiWo
- Cirith Ungol – Robert Goldsmith
- Perfect Little Orcs – Olanda Fong-Surdenas
- The Door to the Dead – Anke Eissmann
- The King of the Oathbreakers – Ted Nasmith
- Nazgul over Cirith Ungol – Alan Lee
- Shagrat comes to the Tower. He shows Sauron the mithril vest. Sauron kills him.
- Sauron commands the Ringwraiths to move forward their armies in the north.
- Sam and Frodo scurry away from Cirith Ungol. The Nazgul return from the battle to Barad-Dur. Frodo and Sam run and hide.
- Under a bridge, they hear an orc company pass above them. They slide down a cliff into a tangle of thorns.
- Frodo struggles to walk. He takes his orc-mail off. They see the west wind blow away some of the black cloud overhead.
- They find a stream, the first water they have had in days.
- Frodo falls asleep and Sam keeps watch. He looks over Mordor and sees in the sky a white star. He falls asleep as well.
- With his elves departing, Elrond and Arwen receive news from Glorfindel of the victory in Gondor and battles in Dale, Mirkwood and Lothlorien.
- King Brand retreats to Erebor. Dain leads the dwarves out to fight. Brand is mortally wounded. Dain defends his body, but is wounded himself. They retreat inside the mountain.
- The Woodland Realm is set alight. Thranduil rides out and repels the attackers.
- Celeborn drives back the third assault. Galadriel says they must destroy Dol Guldur.
- Theoden is carried through the city. Pippin finds Merry.
- Beregond brings Faramir to the Houses of Healing. Eowyn and Merry are also brought there.
- Aragorn waits outside of the city for Denethor to allow him to enter. Imrahil tells him of Denethor’s fate. Aragorn appoints Imrahil as acting leader.
- Gandalf meets Aragorn. He asks for aid in the Houses. He tells Eomer that Eowyn lives.
- Aragorn asks for kingsfoil. Ioreth sends Bergil to fetch some.
- Aragorn heals Faramir, Eowyn and Merry, who awake and speak with him.
- People gather to see Aragorn. They ask for his help in healing. He and the sons of Elrond work through the night.
- Frodo and Sam see the vast armies of Mordor. They have no choice but to walk through.
- They overhear two orcs talk of a great elven warrior on the loose.
- Sam thinks he sees Gollum spying them.
- A battalion of orcs come up behind them. They hide but are spotted and forced into line.
- Frodo stumbles. As he does, another orc company crashes into them. Scuffles break out and Sam drags Frodo out of the lines and into a pit.
- Thranduil and Celeborn meet in Mirkwood, planning to attack Dol Guldur
First Appearances – Ioreth, Brand, Bard II, Thorin III Stonehelm
Deaths – Shagrat. Brand, Dain
Adapted from chapters ‘The Houses of Healing’ and ‘The Land of Shadow’ and Appendix B of The Lord of the Rings and ‘The Quest for Erebor’ of Unfinished Tales
- Mordor – Dario Coelho
- Barad-Dur – Alan Lee
- Stench of Mordor – John Howe
- Sam’s Revelation – Ted Nasmith
- Dale Units vs Rhun – Jan Pospisil
- Athelas – Anke Eissmann
- Mount Doom – John Howe
- Legolas and Gimli reunite with Merry and Pippin.
- In the tents, Aragorn, Gandalf, Imrahil, Eomer, Elladan and Elrohir debate their next move.
- Gandalf reveals the majority of Sauron’s host is still in Mordor. He suggests an attack on the Black Gate. The captains agree.
- Frodo and Sam scurry from pit to pit, evading the legions of orcs.
- Sam offers to carry the Ring for Frodo, but Frodo refuses.
- The Army of the West gathers on Pelennor. Aragorn tells Merry he cannot go with them.
- Merry and Bergil watch the army ride out. A Nazgul also watches.
- Eowyn speaks to Faramir of her desire to follow Aragorn.
- Khamul reports to Sauron of Aragorn leading the army. Sauron orders the Mouth to lead the armies to the Gate.
- The orcs push to the north. Frodo and Sam journey along the road to Barad-Dur.
- Aragorn looks upon Minas Morgul. They burn the valley.
- Frodo stumbles. They pass the Tower and turn south to Mt Doom.
- Mablung thwarts an ambush. The heralds pronounce the coming of King Elessar.
- Men cower and falter. Aragorn sends them to retake Cair Andros.
- Frodo and Sam discard their armour. Sam gives Frodo the last water.
- Aragorn sets his armies on the slag hills. He unfurls his banner and demands Sauron come forth.
- The Mouth of Sauron rides from the Gate. He shows them Frodo’s mithril vest and Sam’s dagger.
- Gandalf is disheartened, but he rejects the Mouth’s terms. The Mouth rides back to the Gate. Orcs pour out and from the hills either side. Easterlings march from behind the towers.
- Sauron’s gaze passes by and turns north. Frodo sees Sauron.
- Frodo claims he can no longer remember food, grass, star or flower. He collapses, attempts to get up but collapses again. Sam carries him.
- Sam reaches the Sammath Naur.
- The Army of the West is surrounded. Aragorn speaks to the men. They attack the armies encircling them on the slag hills.
- Hill trolls slam into the lines of Gondor. Beregond is knocked down. Pippin stabs the troll, which collapses on him.
- The Nazgul attack. In the distance, Pippin sees the Eagles approaching and hears cries of ‘The Eagles are coming’
- Sam is hit from behind by a rock. Gollum attacks Frodo. Frodo fights back and commands him to leave.
- Sam attacks Gollum before he can strike again. Frodo runs into Mt Doom.
- Gollum flees. Sam runs into Mt Doom. Frodo claims the Ring for himself. Gollum returns and knocks Sam down.
- Sauron senses the Ring. The Nazgul race towards the mountain.
- Gollum fights with Frodo. He bites off Frodo’s finger.
- Gollum dances with joy. He keeps his eye on the Ring, dancing closer to the end. With a cry of ‘Precious!’ he falls into the mountain.
- The mountain explodes. Fire licks the roof. Sam carries Frodo out from the mountain. Sam watches Barad-Dur crumble and battlements, towers and hills collapse all around it. The Nazgul are caught in the flames, falling out of the sky.
- Sauron collapses in his falling tower. His body withers and disintegrates.
- Gandalf stands upon the hill. The hosts of Mordor flee. The Towers of the Teeth collapse. The shadow of Sauron rises above Mordor, hand stretching out towards Gandalf, before being blown away by a wind from the West.
- The Army of the West charges the remainder of Sauron’s forces, most of who flee. Gimli lifts the troll off Pippin.
- Frodo and Sam collapse on an island in the fire, watching the clear sky to the north.
First Appearance – Mouth of Sauron
Deaths – Sauron, Gollum, Khamul, Mouth of Sauron
Adapted from chapters ‘The Last Debate’, ‘The Black Gate Opens’ and ‘Mount Doom’ of The Lord of the Rings.
- At the Foot of Mt Doom – Ted Nasmith
- Legolas and Gimli – Peter Xavier Price
- The Houses of Healing – Ana Kusicka
- Mouth of Sauron – John Howe
- Frodo and Sam on Mount Doom – Soni Alcorn-Hender
- Endgame on the Mountain – Ted Nasmith
- At the Cracks of Doom – Ted Nasmith
- The Shadow of Sauron – Ted Nasmith
- On the Steps of Mount Doom – Donato Giancola
- Gwaihir bears Gandalf over Mordor to Mount Doom.
- Bard II and Thorin Stonehelm drive the enemy from Dale.
- Celeborn and Thranduil destroy Dol Guldur. Galadriel purifies the fortress.
- All over Middle Earth, the enemy flees.
- Sam and Frodo awaken to find Gandalf. They are taken outside where the whole Army of the West celebrates their deeds.
- They are reunited with Pippin, Merry, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli.
- Elrond receives word of Sauron’s defeat. He gives leave for Arwen to marry Aragorn.
- Faramir and Eowyn speak of their dreams, a wave climbing over green lands. As they do so, the shadows depart and the sun is unveiled.
- Faramir shows Eowyn the beauty of healing and of the gardens. He offers her his love.
- The Army of the West return to the city. Faramir gives Aragorn the keys and the crown of Earnur.
- Gandalf crowns Aragorn King of Gondor and Arnor.
- Aragorn enters Minas Tirith and sits on his throne.
- Aragorn pardons the Easterlings and the Haradrim. He pardons Beregond from death, but banishes him from Minas Tirith, setting him to instead be captain of the White Company in Ithilien.
- Eowyn speaks with Aragorn. Afterwards, she agrees to marry Faramir.
- Elladan and Elrohir meet the escort of Arwen, including Elrond, Glorfindel, Galadriel and Celeborn.
- Gandalf takes Aragorn high into the mountains. They look across his realm and find a sapling of the White Tree.
- Weeks later, Aragorn and Arwen are wed.
- The Fellowship and their friends leave Minas Tirith.
- King Theoden is laid to rest. Faramir and Eowyn are betrothed.
- Arwen speaks to Frodo of her place on the ships into the west.
- Elrond and Arwen go into the hills where they say their final goodbyes.
- Treebeard reveals he has released Saruman.
- Legolas and Gimli leave the Fellowship, travelling through Fangorn.
- Aragorn says farewell. He watches the Fellowship go north, the green fire of the Elfstone in his hand.
- They come across Saruman and offer him mercy. He declines.
- The company reaches Rivendell. Frodo reunites with Bilbo
Adapted from chapters ‘The Field of Cormallen’, ‘The Steward and the King’ and ‘Many Partings’ and Appendices A and B of The Lord of the Rings.
- The Steward and the King – Anke Eissmann
- The Field of Cormallen – Tolman Cotton
- The Sun Unveiled – Ted Nasmith
- The Crowning of Elessar – Francesco Amadio
- The Judgement on Beregond – Maureval
- Elessar and Mithrandir – Peter Xavier Price
- King and His Queen – Janka Lateckova
- Arwen’s Gift – Anke Eissmann
- Journey Home – Anna Lee
- Saruman is Overtaken – Ted Nasmith
- Bilbo’s 129th birthday is celebrated.
- Frodo tells Bilbo he must return to the Shire.
- Gandalf and the hobbits pass the Ford of Bruinen and Weathertop. Frodo’s wound aches.
The Prancing Pony
- They drink at the inn, sharing stories with Barliman and the locals.
- Nob brings Bill the Pony from the stables.
- The land turns darker as they travel towards The Shire. Gandalf leaves them, heading to the Old Forest.
- They find the gate closed at the Brandywine. The guards are under orders not to let people in. Merry and Pippin climb the gate and open it. Merry chases off Bill Ferny.
- They head towards Hobbiton, but are arrested at Frogmorton. They laugh this off and continue. Robin Smallburrow explains that rough men came and took over The Shire.
- Six men threaten Frodo, but are chased off by the other hobbits. They claim to answer to ‘Sharkey’.
- Sam visits Farmer Cotton and Rosie.
- Merry rouses the hobbits with the horn of Rohan. They set up barricades.
- Pippin rides off to gather his relatives.
- A gang of men attacks the hobbits, but are surrounded and surrender.
- Merry spends the night setting up traps and barricades for an ambush.
- Sam and Frodo talk to the Gaffer and Rosie.
- In the morning Merry sets archers around the town. Pippin returns with a hundred hobbits.
- The ruffians walk straight into Merry’s trap. They do not surrender and many are killed.
- A few hobbits are killed and the ruffians decide to kill rather than escape. Merry and Pippin charge into them.
- Seventy men and nineteen hobbits are dead.
- Frodo and Sam lead two dozen hobbits into Hobbiton. They see the entire town turned grey, with all the trees cut down.
- Ted Sandyman gathers all the hobbits left in Hobbiton to follow Frodo
- Frodo recognises this as Saruman’s work, before they encounter Saruman himself at Bag End.
- Saruman orders the hobbits to kill Frodo, but they are not swayed. He attempts to stab Frodo himself and is thwarted by the mithril coat.
- Frodo shows mercy to Saruman. Saruman reveals Wormtongue killed Lotho. Wormtongue slits Saruman’s throat and is killed himself by hobbit archers.
- Saruman’s spirit hovers before being blown away by the West wind.
- The imprisoned hobbits, including Fatty Bolger and Lobelia, are released.
- The dead hobbits are buried. A memorial is placed in Bywater.
Deaths – Saruman, Grima Wormtongue, Lotho Sackville-Baggins
Adapted from chapters ‘Homeward Bound’ and ‘The Scouring of the Shire’ of The Lord of the Rings.
- The Shire – John Howe
- Unwelcome Return – Alan Lee
- Sam and Rosie Cotton – Ted Nasmith
- Storming the Bank – Ted Nasmith
- Scouring of the Shire – discogangsta
- Saruman – Eric Faure-Brac
- The Scouring of the Shire – Inger Edelfeldt