- Aragorn’s goodbye with Eowyn leads him to remember Arwen.
- Arwen speaks with Elrond about aiding Aragorn. Elrond replies there is nothing they can do.
- Halbarad and the Dunedain rangers come to Rivendell. Arwen asks them to give Aragorn her standard. Elrond requests they find and aid Aragorn. He sends Elladan and Elrohir with them, with a message to take the Paths of the Dead.
- Theoden rides south of Isen. They find many slain.
- Gandalf sees the uruk army from afar. He returns to talk with Theoden. He convinces Theoden to ride to Helm’s Deep and await him there.
- Gandalf leaves without reason.
- Theoden and the army arrive at Helm’s Deep
- Aragorn finds little provisions at Helm’s Deep. He prepares the men for battle quickly.
- Scouts report that the uruk army is heading towards the Hornburg. Aragorn, Eomer and Theoden discuss battle plans.
- As night falls, the army is seen on the horizon.
- Theoden commands Gamling to defend Helm’s Dike. They kill many orcs, but they are forced to retreat.
- Eomer arrays the men on the tower and deeping wall.
- The uruk-hai surge towards the wall. They fire arrows, but get no response until they are very close. The first volley of arrows and rocks from the men force the orcs to break rank.
- The biggest orcs form to try and break the gate. They are scattered by a sortie led by Aragorn, Eomer and Gimli.
- The men barricade the gate as the orcs raise ladders to climb the wall. Aragorn and Eomer push the weary men to keep fighting.
- A small party of orcs creep through the culvert and attack the men from behind. Gimli and the men push them back, barricading the culvert.
- The wall is breached by blasting fire and many orcs pour in to the deep.
- Eomer and Gimli lead men to combat the orcs, but they are overrun and retreat into the Glittering Caves.
- Theoden orders the men off the wall. Aragorn and Legolas lead them up the stair to the keep, Aragorn being nearly overcome by orcs.
- Hama is killed before the gate and his body hacked to pieces.
- Gimli beholds the glory of the Glittering Caves
- Aragorn and Theoden debate their next move. Aragorn attempts a parley but is shot at.
- The uruks use blasting fire to damage the gate, eventually destroying it.
- Theoden leads the remaining riders out of the gate into the invading uruks. They push the orcs out of the keep.
- As the orcs are distracted, Eomer and Gimli lead the men out of the Glittering Caves, forcing the orcs from the deep.
- As the orcs retreat past Helm’s Dike, Gandalf appears leading a thousand of Erkenbrand’s men. The orcs are gripped with fear and flee into a waiting forest of Huorns.
First Appearance – Gamling, Halbarad
Deaths – Hama, Ceorl
Adapted from chapters ‘The King of the Golden Hall’, ‘Helm’s Deep’ and ‘The Passing of the Grey Company’ of The Lord of the Rings.
- Helm’s Deep – Jeremy Bennett
- Elrond and Arwen – Soni Alcorn-Hender
- Legolas and Gimli – Anke Eissmann
- The Battle of Helm’s Deep – Toby Carr
- Helm’s Deep – John Howe
- The Battle at Helm’s Deep – Alan Lee
- The Charge of the Rohirrim at Helm’s Deep – John Howe
- The remaining men of Rohan bury their dead. Theoden personally buries Hama.
- Theoden pardons the men of Dunland.
- They gather on the plain. Gandalf reveals the trees are Huorns sent by Treebeard. He asks Theoden to accompany him to Isengard.
Gap of Rohan
- Theoden selects Eomer and twenty riders and goes with Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli to Isengard.
- Gimli and Legolas trade tales of the battle.
- They see many bodies of slain Rohirrim on the way to Isengard.
- A strange black liquid passes over the ground.
- They come to Isengard, where they reunite with Merry and Pippin.
- Gandalf and Theoden ride to meet with Treebeard.
- Merry and Pippin bring food to the riders. Gimli regrets that he has no pipe and Pippin gives him one of his own.
- Aragorn returns the hobbits’ knives and brooches.
- Treebeard tells Gandalf that Saruman remains in the tower. Gandalf returns to Isengard.
- The others follow Gandalf to Orthanc. Gandalf calls for Saruman to appear. Wormtongue answers and Gandalf demands to speak with Saruman.
- Saruman appears, speaking in a sad voice. He appeals to Theoden, but Gimli interrupts him and Theoden refuses to forgive.
- Gandalf offers Saruman a chance to come back to their side. Saruman considers, but refuses out of pride. He instead tries to again persuade Gandalf to join him.
- After Gandalf refuses, Saruman rages, insulting Gandalf and the others.
- Gandalf once more asks Saruman to come down, but he turns away. Gandalf in response breaks Saruman’s staff and casts him from the order.
- Upon seeing this, Wormtongue throws the Palantir at Gandalf, but misses. Pippin picks it up before Gandalf takes it from him.
- Saruman rages at Wormtongue for losing the Palantir.
- Gandalf asks Treebeard to keep Orthanc surrounded with water so Saruman cannot escape.
- Gandalf carries Merry and Aragorn carries Pippin as they leave Isengard.
Gap of Rohan
- That night, Merry and Pippin talk about Gandalf.
- Pippin, unable to sleep, creeps over to Gandalf and steals the Palantir.
- Looking into it, he sees a dark flying creature and then Sauron.
Adapted from chapters ‘The Road to Isengard’, ‘Flotsam and Jetsam’, ‘The Voice of Saruman’ and ‘The Palantir’ of The Lord of the Rings.
- Isengard – Rob Alexander
- Road to Isengard – Yatzenty
- Flotsam and Jetsam – Anke Eissmann
- Saruman of Many Colours – Francesco Amadio
- Saruman – John Howe
- The Palantir – Francesco Amadio
- Denethor comes down from the Tower of Ecthelion. He orders the beacons of Gondor lit. He summons Hirgon and gives him the Red Arrow, commanding him to ride to Edoras.
- Gandalf and Pippin ride through the night. They see Nazgul overhead but remain out of sight.
- Aragorn tells the others he must go to Minas Tirith by a darker road.
- They ride towards Edoras. In the night they come across thirty rangers, along with Halbarad, Elladan and Elrohir.
- Theoden welcomes them. Elrohir gives Aragorn Arwen’s standard and Elrond’s message to seek the Paths of the Dead.
- Gandalf talks to Eowyn at Edoras before leaving for Minas Tirith.
- Eowyn sends out riders to call the King’s banners. She rides for Dunharrow.
- Theoden and the others return to Helm’s Deep.
- Gimli and Legolas take Merry around the Hornburg.
- Merry offers his services to Theoden. Theoden accepts.
- Theoden commands Eomer to muster the army.
- Aragorn looks into the Palantir. He reveals himself as Isildur’s heir to Sauron. Sauron shows him the Corsairs of Umbar.
- As Theoden prepares to leave for Edoras, Aragorn announces he will take the Paths of the Dead. Merry and Eomer say goodbye to Aragorn. Theoden and his riders set out.
- Legolas, Gimli, Halbarad and the sons of Elrond swear to follow Aragorn.
- Gandalf and Pippin see the warning beacons of Gondor.
- They reach Minas Tirith. They ride up to the seventh level.
- They speak with Denethor, who reveals his knowledge of Boromir’s death. Pippin explains how he died.
- Denethor talks to Pippin of Boromir. Pippin offers his service to Denethor. Denethor accuses Gandalf of manipulation.
- Gandalf leaves with Pippin, explaining the history of kings and stewards.
- Pippin checks on Shadowfax, meeting Beregond. Beregond shows Pippin the city, giving him the passwords to the gates and introducing him to the Third Company.
- Beregond’s son, Bergil, shows Pippin the Great Gate. Reinforcements arrive, led by Imrahil.
- Faramir sees Nazgul fly over the city, followed by a great cloud of darkness.
First Appearances – Beregond, Imrahil, Bergil, Hirgon, Golasgil, Hirluin, Forlong, Duinhir, Duilin, Derufin, Dervorin, Ingold
Adapted from chapters ‘Minas Tirith’, ‘The Passing of the Grey Company’ and ‘The Muster of Rohan’ of The Lord of the Rings.
- Minas Tirith at Dawn – Ted Nasmith
- Halbarad – Quinton Hoover
- The Lady’s Gift – Anke Eissmann
- The Glittering Caves of Aglarond – Ted Nasmith
- Aragorn and the Palantir – Magali Villeneuve
- Gandalf Approaches the Guarded City – John Howe
- Denethor, Steward of Minas Tirith – Alan Lee
- Imrahil – Donato Giancola