- The Falas are besieged by orcs and Easterlings and quickly overrun. Cirdan, Gil-Galad and others escape by ship.
- Morwen realises she is pregnant with Hurin’s third child.
- Sador lives with Morwen, aiding her while she is pregnant.
- The leader of the Easterlings, Brodda, claims lordship over the remaining people.
- Turin journeys through the secret way over Ered Wethrin to Doriath.
- Turin and his guards become entangled in the Girdle of Melian, where they are found by Beleg.
- Beleg takes them to Menegroth.
- Thingol welcomes them. He agrees to foster Turin in honour of both Hurin and Beren.
- Melian instructs Nellas, an elf-lady, to take care of Turin.
- Turin has been trained by Beleg into a great warrior. He joins Beleg on the borders of Doriath.
- Thingol tells Turin all news from Dor-lomin has ceased. Turin requests to bring the fight to Morgoth. Thingol appoints him a Knight of the Sword and returns the Dragon Helm of Hador.
- Turin and Beleg go north and join the elves fighting Morgoth’s forces on the borders.
- Morwen and her daughter, Nienor, remain in service to Brodda. They receive aid from Aerin, a cousin of Hurin forced into marriage with Brodda.
- Sador overhears rumours of the Dragon Helm fighting once again.
- Rian, nearly dead from exhaustion, comes to the Hill of the Slain, which she falls upon and dies.
First Appearances – Nienor, Nellas, Aerin, Saeros
Death – Rian
Adapted from chapters ‘Of the Fifth Battle’ and ‘Of Turin Turambar’ from The Silmarillion, ‘The Grey Annals’ from The War of the Jewels, ‘Narn i Chin Hurin’ from Unfinished Tales and ‘The Departure of Turin’ and ‘Turin in Doriath’ from The Children of Hurin.
- The Hill of the Slain – Ted Nasmith
- Doriath – Beleg and Young Turin – Elena Kukanova
- Turin and Beleg – lyazgina
- Nienor – Liga Klavina
- Hurin is brought before the new Chieftain of the Haleth, Hardang.
- Manthor defends Hurin. Hurin’s words incite a riot. Hardang is killed.
- Hurin comes to the gates of Gondolin. He looks to the eagles to bear him again, but they do not come.
- Thorondor brings word to Turgon, who concludes that even Hurin has surrendered to the will of Morgoth.
- Tuor and Idril are married by Turgon.
- Hurin wanders to Nargothrond, where he finds Mim. He reveals himself as Turin’s father and kills Mim.
- Hurin is found by the elves near Sirion and brought to Menegroth. Before Thingol he reveals he has taken the Nauglamir from Nargothrond. He curses Thingol and gives him the Nauglamir as a memorial of the ruin of his house. Hurin leaves Doriath.
- Thingol employs dwarven smiths to set the Silmaril in the Nauglamir.
- When they are completed the dwarves refuse to give it up. Thingol attempts to take it by force but is slain. The dwarves slaughter many elves and flee.
- Melian, having lost her husband and daughter, forsakes her body and returns to Valinor. The Girdle of Melian is lifted.
- Mablung is sent after the dwarves.
- Mablung catches the dwarves. Outnumbered, the elves are saved by a host of Green-elves, led by Beren and Dior.
- Beren is victorious and regains the Nauglamir, which he brings back to Luthien.
- Mablung is killed in the battle.
- The surviving dwarves are killed by ents in the woods.
- Dior takes his family back to Doriath, where he is crowned King.
- Luthien and Beren die in their sleep, the Silmaril around Luthien’s neck.
- A Green-elf messenger comes to Menegroth. With him he carries the Nauglamir, which is presented to Dior.
- Celegorm comes to Maedhros with the news that Dior holds the Silmaril and the Girdle of Melian is broken.
- Maedhros gathers his brothers and calls upon their oath.
- Hurin despairs, realising all his deeds only aided Morgoth. He casts himself into the sea.
- Tuor and Idril present to Turgon their newborn son, Earendil.
First Appearance – Earendil, Elured, Elurin, Elwing
Deaths – Hurin, Mim, Beren, Luthien, Thingol, Mablung, Manthor, Hardang
Adapted from chapters ‘Of the Ruin of Doriath’ and ‘Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin’ from The Silmarillion, ‘Of Tuor and His Coming to Gondolin’ from Unfinished Tales, ‘The Wanderings of Hurin and Other Writings’ from The War of the Jewels.
- The Oath Has Been Awakened – Jenny Dolfen
- Hurin Reaches the Echoriath – Ted Nasmith
- The Wedding of Tuor and Idril – Tom Loback
- Elu Thingol and the Dwarves of Nogrod in Menegroth – steamey
- Beren and Luthien – Turner Mohan
Season three’s main story will the the Tale of Beren and Luthien. It also covers the Union of Maedhros and the Battle of Unnumbered Tears. Some years have been condensed to fit the structure of the episodes better. It covers roughly F.A. 457-472.
The episode descriptions begin to get longer, as the stories told are more descriptive in the text. Less original material would need to be created for the next few seasons, mainly only dialogue and a few character scenes.
This season is framed by Elrond and Maglor walking along the southern coast of Gondor, during the early years of Gondor’s history.
- Elrond accompanies Maglor on a journey along the south coast of Gondor. Maglor continues his tales of the First Age
- Luthien goes wandering with her friend Daeron in the woods. Daeron plays the flute and Luthien dances for him. Luthien knows he loves her, but she does not return his affections.
- Thingol and Melian speak about a suitable husband for Luthien.
- Morgoth surveys the realm with Sauron after the death of Fingolfin. Not yet content, he wants to proceed with the invasion of Beleriand. He orders Sauron to attack Minas Tirith.
- Barahir and his outlaws continue to live in Dorthonion. Finding an orc encampment, they raid and destroy it.
- At night, they themselves are raided. Several of his men are killed and so only 12 remain.
- They return to their lair by the Tarn Aeluin.
- Fingon takes up the seat of his father.
- Turgon looks over as more and more elves come to his hidden city, while he commands the Eagles to take out any of Morgoth’s servants who come too near.
- Hurin and Huor talk to Turgon about leaving Gondolin. Turgon agrees if they swear to him an oath of secrecy.
- As night falls, Orodreth and his people are overcome by fear.
- Hidden by nightfall, Sauron leads his forces in a surprise attack.
- Orodreth realises he is vastly outnumbered and flees with the rest of his people.
- Seeing his numbers bolstered by people fleeing Dorthonion, Maedhros prepares to take back the Pass of Aglon.
First Appearances – Thuringwethil, Celebrimbor, Beleg, Mablung
Adapted from chapters ‘Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin’ and ‘Of Beren and Luthien’ from The Silmarillion and ‘The Lay of Leithian’ from The Lays of Beleriand.
- Tol-in-Gaurhoth – Morgoth Belegruth
- Daeron and Luthien – Anke Eissman
- Hurin and Huor Approaching Gondolin – Donato Giancola
- Sauron the Deceiver – Skullbastard
- Beren comes to Nargothrond, requesting audience with Finrod. Celegorm is hesitant to allow it, but Orodreth overrules him.
- Beren shows Finrod the Ring of Barahir, asking for his help. Remembering his oath, Finrod agrees.
- Celegorm and Curufin convince, with lies or threats, the majority of Nargothrond not to follow Beren.
- Finrod asks his soldiers to accompany him, but only ten come forward.
- Finrod leaves Orodreth in charge.
- Beren and Finrod come across a pack of orcs. Nearing Tol Sirion, they ambush and kill the orcs, taking their gear. Finrod disguises them all.
- Beneath Minas Tirith however, Sauron’s servants see through the disguises and they are captured.
- Brought before Sauron, Finrod attacks him. Sauron shrugs it off and attacks Finrod with spells. Finrod fights back with spells and songs of Quenya from Valinor, but is unable to overcome Sauron.
- Sauron locks them away. He sends a werewolf in to execute them.
- In the dark, the werewolf picks them off one by one as they are chained. When it comes for Beren, Finrod sees it and breaks his chains. Finrod is wounded deeply, but manages to kill the wolf with his bare hands.
- Barely alive, Beren calls Finrod’s oath redeemed. Finrod passes away in the tower he himself had built.
- In a dream, Luthien sees Beren chained in a dungeon. Melian comes to her and confirms that Beren is held captive.
- Luthien manages to lull the guards to sleep using her powers as the daughter of Melian. She steal a horse and escapes Doriath.
- Celegorm takes Curufin and Huan to follow Finrod.
- Luthien races to Minas Tirith, but she is found by Huan in the forest. Huan takes her back to Celegorm.
- When Celegorm learns of her identity, he appears friendly to her. However, he confides in Curufin that he wishes to marry her.
- Curufin sends a letter to Doriath entailing Celegorm’s intentions.
Deaths – Finrod, Edrahil
Adapted from ‘Of Beren and Luthien’ from the Silmarillion and ‘The Lay of Leithian’ from The Lays of Beleriand.
- Beren and Finrod – Alice Falto
- Beren Before Felagund – Anke Eissmann
- Duel – Hellga-Z
- Luthien Escapes the Treehouse – Ted Nasmith