Prologue – Rivendell
- The White Council meets to discuss the Rings of Power.
- Saruman declares the Ring lost in the Belegaer.
- Gaffer Gamgee and a few hobbits discuss Bilbo at the Green Dragon.
- Bilbo continues to write the Red Book.
- Bilbo and Frodo send out invitations to his 111th birthday party.
- Bilbo and Frodo, along with Sam, Merry, Pippin, Fatty, Gaffer and several other hobbits prepare for the party.
- Gandalf arrives and talks with Bilbo.
- Gandalf shows off his fireworks at the party.
- Bilbo gives a speech. At the end of the speech he puts on the Ring and disappears.
- After arguing with Gandalf, Bilbo leaves the Ring behind and leaves.
- Frodo arrives back at Bag End. Gandalf gives him the Ring.
- The next day Gandalf says he must leave immediately. He tells Frodo not to wear the Ring.
- Saruman looks in the Palantir towards Mordor, finding Sauron.
- Easterlings come to Mordor.
- Sauron sends out servants to find the One Ring.
- The Nazgul capture Gollum.
- Gandalf finds and read a scroll written by Isildur about the One Ring.
- A messenger comes to Erebor to speak with Dain. They mention Bilbo and the Ring.
- Dain sends Gloin, Gimli and a few others to Rivendell to warn Bilbo.
First Appearances – Frodo Baggins, Sam Gamgee, Merry Brandybuck, Pippin Took, Fatty Bolger, Odo Proudfoot, Lotho Sackville-Baggins, Robin Smallburrow, Rosie Cotton, Gimli
Adapted from chapters ‘A Long-expected Party’, ‘The Shadow of the Past’, ‘The Council of Elrond’ and Appendix B of The Lord of the Rings.
- Bilbo’s Eleventy First Birthday Party – Paul Raymond Gregory
- The Shire – Roger Garland
- Gandalf Returns to Hobbiton – John Howe
- Bilbo’s Speech – Francesco Amadio
- Saruman and the Palantir – Anna Kulisz
- Nazgul – cblair
- Boromir and Faramir have a dream – ‘Seek for the sword that was broken’
The Old Forest
- Tom sends the hobbits in the direction of the Barrow Downs.
- They walk through the fog-covered downs, to where they think they see the end.
- Frodo sees the exit and rushes ahead, when he turns back he finds his friends gone, with cries in the distance.
- Frodo hurries back until he finds a barrow. An icy hand grabs him and knocks him out.
- Gandalf sees the eagles flying nearby. He raises his staff and emits a bright light. Gwaihir notices him and flies to his aid.
- Frodo awakens in a barrow. He hears a voice chanting and sees his friends lying next to him. A hand comes reaching for them and Frodo slashes at it with his dagger.
- Frodo remembers the song Tom taught them and sings it. A voice answers his call. Tom smashes open the barrow and dispels the wight.
- From the barrow’s treasure Tom takes a brooch and gives the four hobbits a Westernesse dagger each. He accompanies them to the exit then sends them to Bree.
- Gandalf speaks with the Gaffer, who tells him Frodo has already left and that black riders had been searching the area. Gandalf hurries to Bree.
- A hooded figure watches the hobbits enter Bree.
- Frodo asks for Gandalf at the Prancing Pony, but he is not there. Merry rests in the room while the other three drink in the hall.
- Barliman points Strider, the hooded figure, out to Frodo. Strider makes some comments that intrigues Frodo.
- Frodo notices Pippin about to tell of Bilbo’s Ring. Frodo starts singing to distract them but falls and the Ring slips on his finger, astounding the people with his disappearance.
- Frodo reappears in the corner and hurriedly takes Sam and Pippin back to the room, where Strider appears.
- Strider tells them of the black riders and that Bree is not safe. Barliman comes to the room with a letter from Gandalf. Gandalf explains that Strider is to be trusted, his real name being Aragorn.
- Merry, out on a walk, encounters a black rider. He hurries to tell the others.
- Aragorn leaves pillow decoys in the beds and takes the hobbits down to the parlour.
- The black riders raid Crickhollow. Fatty flees.
First Appearances – Boromir, Faramir, Barliman Butterbur, Nob, Bob, Harry Goatleaf
Adapted from chapters ‘Fog on the Barrow Downs’, ‘At the Sign of the Prancing Pony’, ‘Strider’ and ‘The Council of Elrond’ and Appendix B of The Lord of the Rings.
- Strider in the Prancing Pony – Peter Xavier Price
- Fog on the Barrow Downs – Paul Raymond Gregory
- The Barrow-Wight – John Howe
- Gandalf Escapes Upon Gwaihir – Ted Nasmith
- Under the Spell of the Barrow-Wight – Ted Nasmith
- At the Sign of the Prancing Pony – Ted Nasmith
- At the Prancing Pony – Alan Lee
- Nazgul at Bree – Greg and Tim Hildebrandt
- Elendil and his sons fight against the winds. They are separated.
- The White Council meet again to discuss the Breaking of the World.
- Elendil’s ships arrive on the shores of Lindon.
- Elendil meets with Gil-Galad and the Council and tells them of the Downfall of Numenor.
- Sauron rises from the sea in physical form.
- Isildur and Anarion’s ships come to the Mouths of Anduin. They sail up the Anduin until they reach Pelargir.
- Gil-Galad guides Elendil up the river Lhun. Here Elendil finds settlements of Numenoreans. He and his followers settle here, calling their land Arnor.
- Anarion travels to the North, where he finds his father.
- (Building of Annuminas, Minas Ithil, Minas Anor and Osgiliath)
- The Palantiri are placed all other Middle-Earth.
- Sauron returns to Barad-Dur and wears the One Ring. Mount Doom erupts.
First Appearances – Aratan, Ciryan, Valandil
- Annuminas – Lord of the Rings Online, Turbine, Inc.
- Ships of the Faithful – Ted Nasmith
- Pelargir – ?
- Osgiliath – Alan Lee