- Boromir and Faramir have a dream – ‘Seek for the sword that was broken’
The Old Forest
- Tom sends the hobbits in the direction of the Barrow Downs.
- They walk through the fog-covered downs, to where they think they see the end.
- Frodo sees the exit and rushes ahead, when he turns back he finds his friends gone, with cries in the distance.
- Frodo hurries back until he finds a barrow. An icy hand grabs him and knocks him out.
- Gandalf sees the eagles flying nearby. He raises his staff and emits a bright light. Gwaihir notices him and flies to his aid.
- Frodo awakens in a barrow. He hears a voice chanting and sees his friends lying next to him. A hand comes reaching for them and Frodo slashes at it with his dagger.
- Frodo remembers the song Tom taught them and sings it. A voice answers his call. Tom smashes open the barrow and dispels the wight.
- From the barrow’s treasure Tom takes a brooch and gives the four hobbits a Westernesse dagger each. He accompanies them to the exit then sends them to Bree.
- Gandalf speaks with the Gaffer, who tells him Frodo has already left and that black riders had been searching the area. Gandalf hurries to Bree.
- A hooded figure watches the hobbits enter Bree.
- Frodo asks for Gandalf at the Prancing Pony, but he is not there. Merry rests in the room while the other three drink in the hall.
- Barliman points Strider, the hooded figure, out to Frodo. Strider makes some comments that intrigues Frodo.
- Frodo notices Pippin about to tell of Bilbo’s Ring. Frodo starts singing to distract them but falls and the Ring slips on his finger, astounding the people with his disappearance.
- Frodo reappears in the corner and hurriedly takes Sam and Pippin back to the room, where Strider appears.
- Strider tells them of the black riders and that Bree is not safe. Barliman comes to the room with a letter from Gandalf. Gandalf explains that Strider is to be trusted, his real name being Aragorn.
- Merry, out on a walk, encounters a black rider. He hurries to tell the others.
- Aragorn leaves pillow decoys in the beds and takes the hobbits down to the parlour.
- The black riders raid Crickhollow. Fatty flees.
First Appearances – Boromir, Faramir, Barliman Butterbur, Nob, Bob, Harry Goatleaf
Adapted from chapters ‘Fog on the Barrow Downs’, ‘At the Sign of the Prancing Pony’, ‘Strider’ and ‘The Council of Elrond’ and Appendix B of The Lord of the Rings.
- Strider in the Prancing Pony – Peter Xavier Price
- Fog on the Barrow Downs – Paul Raymond Gregory
- The Barrow-Wight – John Howe
- Gandalf Escapes Upon Gwaihir – Ted Nasmith
- Under the Spell of the Barrow-Wight – Ted Nasmith
- At the Sign of the Prancing Pony – Ted Nasmith
- At the Prancing Pony – Alan Lee
- Nazgul at Bree – Greg and Tim Hildebrandt