Season three’s main story will the the Tale of Beren and Luthien. It also covers the Union of Maedhros and the Battle of Unnumbered Tears. Some years have been condensed to fit the structure of the episodes better. It covers roughly F.A. 457-472.
The episode descriptions begin to get longer, as the stories told are more descriptive in the text. Less original material would need to be created for the next few seasons, mainly only dialogue and a few character scenes.
This season is framed by Elrond and Maglor walking along the southern coast of Gondor, during the early years of Gondor’s history.
- Elrond accompanies Maglor on a journey along the south coast of Gondor. Maglor continues his tales of the First Age
- Luthien goes wandering with her friend Daeron in the woods. Daeron plays the flute and Luthien dances for him. Luthien knows he loves her, but she does not return his affections.
- Thingol and Melian speak about a suitable husband for Luthien.
- Morgoth surveys the realm with Sauron after the death of Fingolfin. Not yet content, he wants to proceed with the invasion of Beleriand. He orders Sauron to attack Minas Tirith.
- Barahir and his outlaws continue to live in Dorthonion. Finding an orc encampment, they raid and destroy it.
- At night, they themselves are raided. Several of his men are killed and so only 12 remain.
- They return to their lair by the Tarn Aeluin.
- Fingon takes up the seat of his father.
- Turgon looks over as more and more elves come to his hidden city, while he commands the Eagles to take out any of Morgoth’s servants who come too near.
- Hurin and Huor talk to Turgon about leaving Gondolin. Turgon agrees if they swear to him an oath of secrecy.
- As night falls, Orodreth and his people are overcome by fear.
- Hidden by nightfall, Sauron leads his forces in a surprise attack.
- Orodreth realises he is vastly outnumbered and flees with the rest of his people.
- Seeing his numbers bolstered by people fleeing Dorthonion, Maedhros prepares to take back the Pass of Aglon.
First Appearances – Thuringwethil, Celebrimbor, Beleg, Mablung
Adapted from chapters ‘Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin’ and ‘Of Beren and Luthien’ from The Silmarillion and ‘The Lay of Leithian’ from The Lays of Beleriand.
- Tol-in-Gaurhoth – Morgoth Belegruth
- Daeron and Luthien – Anke Eissman
- Hurin and Huor Approaching Gondolin – Donato Giancola
- Sauron the Deceiver – Skullbastard
- Beren comes to Nargothrond, requesting audience with Finrod. Celegorm is hesitant to allow it, but Orodreth overrules him.
- Beren shows Finrod the Ring of Barahir, asking for his help. Remembering his oath, Finrod agrees.
- Celegorm and Curufin convince, with lies or threats, the majority of Nargothrond not to follow Beren.
- Finrod asks his soldiers to accompany him, but only ten come forward.
- Finrod leaves Orodreth in charge.
- Beren and Finrod come across a pack of orcs. Nearing Tol Sirion, they ambush and kill the orcs, taking their gear. Finrod disguises them all.
- Beneath Minas Tirith however, Sauron’s servants see through the disguises and they are captured.
- Brought before Sauron, Finrod attacks him. Sauron shrugs it off and attacks Finrod with spells. Finrod fights back with spells and songs of Quenya from Valinor, but is unable to overcome Sauron.
- Sauron locks them away. He sends a werewolf in to execute them.
- In the dark, the werewolf picks them off one by one as they are chained. When it comes for Beren, Finrod sees it and breaks his chains. Finrod is wounded deeply, but manages to kill the wolf with his bare hands.
- Barely alive, Beren calls Finrod’s oath redeemed. Finrod passes away in the tower he himself had built.
- In a dream, Luthien sees Beren chained in a dungeon. Melian comes to her and confirms that Beren is held captive.
- Luthien manages to lull the guards to sleep using her powers as the daughter of Melian. She steal a horse and escapes Doriath.
- Celegorm takes Curufin and Huan to follow Finrod.
- Luthien races to Minas Tirith, but she is found by Huan in the forest. Huan takes her back to Celegorm.
- When Celegorm learns of her identity, he appears friendly to her. However, he confides in Curufin that he wishes to marry her.
- Curufin sends a letter to Doriath entailing Celegorm’s intentions.
Deaths – Finrod, Edrahil
Adapted from ‘Of Beren and Luthien’ from the Silmarillion and ‘The Lay of Leithian’ from The Lays of Beleriand.
- Beren and Finrod – Alice Falto
- Beren Before Felagund – Anke Eissmann
- Duel – Hellga-Z
- Luthien Escapes the Treehouse – Ted Nasmith
- Beren is visited by Sauron and told that he is left to starve. Finrod’s body is displayed before the gates.
- Luthien is brought to Nargothrond. Orodreth enquires about her but is lied to by Celegorm.
- Luthien is locked away and Celegorm reveals his true intentions.
- Betraying his master, Huan speaks to Luthien. Feeling pity for her, he helps her escape.
- Huan follows Luthien and promises to take her to Minas Tirith.
- Thingol discovers Luthien missing and is told of the letter from Celegorm. He sends riders out to find her.
- Huan brings Luthien to Minas Tirith. Guarded fiercely by wolves and orcs, Huan manages to slay every one of them and gains entry to the tower.
- Luthien sing for Beren. Beren hears her and calls back, believing himself delirious.
- Sauron also hears Luthien singing and wishes to capture her for Morgoth. He sends many wolves to kill Huan, but he kills them with ease.
- Sauron sends Drauglin to kill Huan, but Drauglin too is defeated. Finally, Sauron transforms into a wolf himself to fight Huan. Huan dodges his attacks, but Sauron lunges at Luthien. She whips him with her enchanted cloak, disorienting him.
- Huan fights Sauron, who shapeshifts many times. Eventually he wins and Luthien gives Sauron a choice, surrender Minas Tirith or be killed and sent back to Morgoth as a wraith. Sauron flees
- Luthien frees the prisoners and finds Beren. They bury Finrod on his isle and leave to walk in the woods again. Huan returns to Celegorm.
- Beren skins Drauglin and Thuringwethil and takes their hides.
- Thingol’s riders reach Nargothrond. When Orodreth hears their words, he exiles Celegorm and Curufin.
Deaths – Draugluin, Thuringwethil
Adapted from chapters ‘Of Beren and Luthien’ from The Silmarillion and ‘The Lay of Leithian’ from The Lays of Beleriand.
- Huan and Luthien Escape Nargothrond – Ted Nasmith
- Luthien Tinuviel and Huan Journey to Angband – Neerachar Sophol
- Huan Subdues Sauron – Ted Nasmith
- Orodreth prepares his defences as orcs march on the fortress.
- Despite a massive siege, the walls and defences of Minas Tirith hold.
- The orcs advance on Himring in the East. Maedhros stands fast.
- When the orcs attack the elves fight back with valour. Eventually Maedhros’ fury is so great that the orcs flee before him. Himring holds.
- Hador receives Fingolfin’s summons and rides out. His young grandsons, Hurin and Huor, go with him
- Finrod rides to the aid of Minas Tirith.
- The fortress holds but the defenders are too few to hold out if the gates break.
- Finrod comes upon the army and smashes them, forcing them to retreat north.
- Orodreth leaves behind a small force and joins Finrod’s army, heading north.
- Fingon’s forces reach the nearly overrun fortress of Barad Eithel.
Vale of Sirion
- Coming across an orc party fleeing Minas Tirith, Hador’s forces are attacked. Hurin and Huor are separated from the army.
First Appearances – Hurin, Huor, Gundor, Gloredhel, Galdor
Adapted from chapters ‘Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin’ from the Silmarillion and ‘The Grey Annals’ from The War of the Jewels.
- The Battle of Sudden Flame – Filat
- Tears Unnumbered – Maedhros – Meisiluosi
- Aid on the Fens – Henning Janssen