Prologue – Rivendell
- The White Council meets to discuss the Rings of Power.
- Saruman declares the Ring lost in the Belegaer.
- Gaffer Gamgee and a few hobbits discuss Bilbo at the Green Dragon.
- Bilbo continues to write the Red Book.
- Bilbo and Frodo send out invitations to his 111th birthday party.
- Bilbo and Frodo, along with Sam, Merry, Pippin, Fatty, Gaffer and several other hobbits prepare for the party.
- Gandalf arrives and talks with Bilbo.
- Gandalf shows off his fireworks at the party.
- Bilbo gives a speech. At the end of the speech he puts on the Ring and disappears.
- After arguing with Gandalf, Bilbo leaves the Ring behind and leaves.
- Frodo arrives back at Bag End. Gandalf gives him the Ring.
- The next day Gandalf says he must leave immediately. He tells Frodo not to wear the Ring.
- Saruman looks in the Palantir towards Mordor, finding Sauron.
- Easterlings come to Mordor.
- Sauron sends out servants to find the One Ring.
- The Nazgul capture Gollum.
- Gandalf finds and read a scroll written by Isildur about the One Ring.
- A messenger comes to Erebor to speak with Dain. They mention Bilbo and the Ring.
- Dain sends Gloin, Gimli and a few others to Rivendell to warn Bilbo.
First Appearances – Frodo Baggins, Sam Gamgee, Merry Brandybuck, Pippin Took, Fatty Bolger, Odo Proudfoot, Lotho Sackville-Baggins, Robin Smallburrow, Rosie Cotton, Gimli
Adapted from chapters ‘A Long-expected Party’, ‘The Shadow of the Past’, ‘The Council of Elrond’ and Appendix B of The Lord of the Rings.
- Bilbo’s Eleventy First Birthday Party – Paul Raymond Gregory
- The Shire – Roger Garland
- Gandalf Returns to Hobbiton – John Howe
- Bilbo’s Speech – Francesco Amadio
- Saruman and the Palantir – Anna Kulisz
- Nazgul – cblair
- Sauron sees Pippin in the Palantir. He questions about the Ring, but is cut off. He orders the Nazgul to make for Isengard.
Gap of Rohan
- Gandalf takes the Palantir and chastises Pippin.
- Gandalf explains the Palantir and how Saruman was corrupted by it.
- They debate their next move, with Gandalf noting that the confusion caused by Pippin could work to their advantage.
- Sam helps Frodo up the last part of the Winding Stair. Gollum shows where to go next: a dark tunnel.
- Despite the terrible smell and the possibility of orcs, Frodo and Sam enter.
- The hobbits can only move forward by feeling the walls. They call out for Gollum, but he has disappeared.
- Frodo and Sam continue on. Frodo begins to feel an overwhelming sense of dread.
- They hear scurrying and hissing around them. They feel dead bodies beneath their feet. Frodo raises the Phial of Galadriel.
- The light illuminates hundreds of eyes. As they move closer, they are revealed to belong to a giant spider, Shelob.
- Frodo walks towards the eyes, which retreat from the light.
- Frodo and Sam flee, but are blocked by strong cobwebs. Frodo cuts them with Sting and they head for the exit.
- Sam sees orcs ahead and tries to warn Frodo. Shelob attacks, cutting off Sam. Sam goes to save Frodo but is dragged away by Gollum.
- Shelob attacks Frodo, who fights but is poisoned and falls unconscious.
- Sam fights against Gollum. He threatens to stab him and Gollum flees.
- Sam attacks Shelob, who is over Frodo’s body. He sees Frodo, seemingly dead, wrapped in web.
- Sam struggles with the spider, stabbing it in the eye. Shelob overpowers him, but Sam stabs her in the belly. Shelob flees.
- Sam checks Frodo’s heartbeat, but finds nothing.
- Sam thinks Frodo is dead and takes the Ring. He hears orc voices coming.
Gap of Rohan
- A Nazgul flies over the group, forcing them to hide.
- Gandalf predicts that Sauron will move to attack Minas Tirith. He advises Theoden and Aragorn to ride to Gondor. He gives Aragorn the Palantir.
- Gandalf takes Pippin with him and leaves on Shadowfax.
- An army again approaches Lothlorien. Galadriel says unless Sauron is defeated they will eventually be overrun.
- Eowyn receives word that the men were victorious, yet the riders say Theoden may yet ride to Gondor. Eowyn prepares for them to leave for Dunharrow.
- Elrond and Glorfindel talk about the fate of Middle-Earth. Elrond decides to prepare his elves to leave for the Grey Havens.
- Sam puts on the Ring. The orcs take Frodo. Sam overhears them talking about Shelob’s poison and how it paralyses, not kills.
- Sam follows the orcs into Mordor.
- The Witch-King’s army moves towards Osgiliath, where Faramir awaits.
First Appearances – Shelob, Gorbag, Shagrat
Death – Shelob
Adapted from chapters ‘The Palantir’, ‘Shelob’s Lair’ and ‘The Choices of Master Samwise’ and Appendix B of The Lord of the Rings
- Shelob – John Howe
- Sauron Speaks With Palantir – Hive17
- Shelob’s Lair – Rob Alexander
- Shelob About to Leap on Frodo – John Howe
- Sam and Shelob – John Howe
- Shelob’s Retreat – Ted Nasmith
- The Choices of Master Samwise – Turner Mohan
- Gandalf on Shadowfax Before Minas Tirith – Luca Michelucci
- Council of War – MelorianJ
- Sam Enters Mordor Alone – Ted Nasmith
- An army ambushes the city at Cair Andros and overruns it.
- Aragorn and the Grey Company come to Dunharrow. They find Theoden has not arrived.
- Aragorn meets with Eowyn again. She welcomes the Grey Company with supper.
- Eowyn attempts to dissuade Aragorn from the Paths of the Dead. When she fails, she asks to accompany him herself. Aragorn will not allow it.
- The Grey Company leave at daybreak. Eowyn watches them, standing still as stone.
- Shagrat strips Frodo of all his effects. He has orders to take them to Barad-Dur. Gorbag attempts to take the mithril shirt.
- Shagrat takes Frodo to the top of the tower. Gorbag begins a fight with Shagrat’s orcs.
- Sam approaches the gate of Cirith Ungol. He sees Mt Doom.
- Sam takes off the Ring. He cannot pass the gate. He uses the Phial of Galadriel and passes. The statues of the Watchers cry out.
- Sam sees the bodies of the orcs. He continues up the tower. He encounters orcs, including Shagrat, who flees.
- Sam follows an orc into a secret chamber. He kills the orc and finds Frodo.
- Frodo is delighted to see Sam, but calls him a thief when he sees the Ring. He apologises soon after. Sam finds orc armour and they put it on.
- Aragorn leads the company to a dark door. Despite their fear, they all follow Aragorn into the Paths of the Dead.
The Paths of the Dead
- Gimli is the last to enter. He hurries to catch up. They come to a clearing, where a skeleton lies. Aragorn kneels at the body but suddenly stands and addresses the darkness to follow.
- Legolas and Elladan say they see the dead following.
- With the Phial, Frodo and Sam move past the Watchers and into Mordor.
First Appearance – Snaga (II)
Death – Gorbag, Snaga
Adapted from chapters ‘The Passing of the Grey Company’ and ‘The Tower of Cirith Ungol’ and Appendix B of The Lord of the RIngs.
- Across Gorgoroth – Ted Nasmith
- Aragorn & Eowyn – Alan Lee
- Passing of the Grey Company – JeiWo
- Cirith Ungol – Robert Goldsmith
- Perfect Little Orcs – Olanda Fong-Surdenas
- The Door to the Dead – Anke Eissmann
- The King of the Oathbreakers – Ted Nasmith
- Nazgul over Cirith Ungol – Alan Lee
- Shagrat comes to the Tower. He shows Sauron the mithril vest. Sauron kills him.
- Sauron commands the Ringwraiths to move forward their armies in the north.
- Sam and Frodo scurry away from Cirith Ungol. The Nazgul return from the battle to Barad-Dur. Frodo and Sam run and hide.
- Under a bridge, they hear an orc company pass above them. They slide down a cliff into a tangle of thorns.
- Frodo struggles to walk. He takes his orc-mail off. They see the west wind blow away some of the black cloud overhead.
- They find a stream, the first water they have had in days.
- Frodo falls asleep and Sam keeps watch. He looks over Mordor and sees in the sky a white star. He falls asleep as well.
- With his elves departing, Elrond and Arwen receive news from Glorfindel of the victory in Gondor and battles in Dale, Mirkwood and Lothlorien.
- King Brand retreats to Erebor. Dain leads the dwarves out to fight. Brand is mortally wounded. Dain defends his body, but is wounded himself. They retreat inside the mountain.
- The Woodland Realm is set alight. Thranduil rides out and repels the attackers.
- Celeborn drives back the third assault. Galadriel says they must destroy Dol Guldur.
- Theoden is carried through the city. Pippin finds Merry.
- Beregond brings Faramir to the Houses of Healing. Eowyn and Merry are also brought there.
- Aragorn waits outside of the city for Denethor to allow him to enter. Imrahil tells him of Denethor’s fate. Aragorn appoints Imrahil as acting leader.
- Gandalf meets Aragorn. He asks for aid in the Houses. He tells Eomer that Eowyn lives.
- Aragorn asks for kingsfoil. Ioreth sends Bergil to fetch some.
- Aragorn heals Faramir, Eowyn and Merry, who awake and speak with him.
- People gather to see Aragorn. They ask for his help in healing. He and the sons of Elrond work through the night.
- Frodo and Sam see the vast armies of Mordor. They have no choice but to walk through.
- They overhear two orcs talk of a great elven warrior on the loose.
- Sam thinks he sees Gollum spying them.
- A battalion of orcs come up behind them. They hide but are spotted and forced into line.
- Frodo stumbles. As he does, another orc company crashes into them. Scuffles break out and Sam drags Frodo out of the lines and into a pit.
- Thranduil and Celeborn meet in Mirkwood, planning to attack Dol Guldur
First Appearances – Ioreth, Brand, Bard II, Thorin III Stonehelm
Deaths – Shagrat. Brand, Dain
Adapted from chapters ‘The Houses of Healing’ and ‘The Land of Shadow’ and Appendix B of The Lord of the Rings and ‘The Quest for Erebor’ of Unfinished Tales
- Mordor – Dario Coelho
- Barad-Dur – Alan Lee
- Stench of Mordor – John Howe
- Sam’s Revelation – Ted Nasmith
- Dale Units vs Rhun – Jan Pospisil
- Athelas – Anke Eissmann
- Mount Doom – John Howe
- Legolas and Gimli reunite with Merry and Pippin.
- In the tents, Aragorn, Gandalf, Imrahil, Eomer, Elladan and Elrohir debate their next move.
- Gandalf reveals the majority of Sauron’s host is still in Mordor. He suggests an attack on the Black Gate. The captains agree.
- Frodo and Sam scurry from pit to pit, evading the legions of orcs.
- Sam offers to carry the Ring for Frodo, but Frodo refuses.
- The Army of the West gathers on Pelennor. Aragorn tells Merry he cannot go with them.
- Merry and Bergil watch the army ride out. A Nazgul also watches.
- Eowyn speaks to Faramir of her desire to follow Aragorn.
- Khamul reports to Sauron of Aragorn leading the army. Sauron orders the Mouth to lead the armies to the Gate.
- The orcs push to the north. Frodo and Sam journey along the road to Barad-Dur.
- Aragorn looks upon Minas Morgul. They burn the valley.
- Frodo stumbles. They pass the Tower and turn south to Mt Doom.
- Mablung thwarts an ambush. The heralds pronounce the coming of King Elessar.
- Men cower and falter. Aragorn sends them to retake Cair Andros.
- Frodo and Sam discard their armour. Sam gives Frodo the last water.
- Aragorn sets his armies on the slag hills. He unfurls his banner and demands Sauron come forth.
- The Mouth of Sauron rides from the Gate. He shows them Frodo’s mithril vest and Sam’s dagger.
- Gandalf is disheartened, but he rejects the Mouth’s terms. The Mouth rides back to the Gate. Orcs pour out and from the hills either side. Easterlings march from behind the towers.
- Sauron’s gaze passes by and turns north. Frodo sees Sauron.
- Frodo claims he can no longer remember food, grass, star or flower. He collapses, attempts to get up but collapses again. Sam carries him.
- Sam reaches the Sammath Naur.
- The Army of the West is surrounded. Aragorn speaks to the men. They attack the armies encircling them on the slag hills.
- Hill trolls slam into the lines of Gondor. Beregond is knocked down. Pippin stabs the troll, which collapses on him.
- The Nazgul attack. In the distance, Pippin sees the Eagles approaching and hears cries of ‘The Eagles are coming’
- Sam is hit from behind by a rock. Gollum attacks Frodo. Frodo fights back and commands him to leave.
- Sam attacks Gollum before he can strike again. Frodo runs into Mt Doom.
- Gollum flees. Sam runs into Mt Doom. Frodo claims the Ring for himself. Gollum returns and knocks Sam down.
- Sauron senses the Ring. The Nazgul race towards the mountain.
- Gollum fights with Frodo. He bites off Frodo’s finger.
- Gollum dances with joy. He keeps his eye on the Ring, dancing closer to the end. With a cry of ‘Precious!’ he falls into the mountain.
- The mountain explodes. Fire licks the roof. Sam carries Frodo out from the mountain. Sam watches Barad-Dur crumble and battlements, towers and hills collapse all around it. The Nazgul are caught in the flames, falling out of the sky.
- Sauron collapses in his falling tower. His body withers and disintegrates.
- Gandalf stands upon the hill. The hosts of Mordor flee. The Towers of the Teeth collapse. The shadow of Sauron rises above Mordor, hand stretching out towards Gandalf, before being blown away by a wind from the West.
- The Army of the West charges the remainder of Sauron’s forces, most of who flee. Gimli lifts the troll off Pippin.
- Frodo and Sam collapse on an island in the fire, watching the clear sky to the north.
First Appearance – Mouth of Sauron
Deaths – Sauron, Gollum, Khamul, Mouth of Sauron
Adapted from chapters ‘The Last Debate’, ‘The Black Gate Opens’ and ‘Mount Doom’ of The Lord of the Rings.
- At the Foot of Mt Doom – Ted Nasmith
- Legolas and Gimli – Peter Xavier Price
- The Houses of Healing – Ana Kusicka
- Mouth of Sauron – John Howe
- Frodo and Sam on Mount Doom – Soni Alcorn-Hender
- Endgame on the Mountain – Ted Nasmith
- At the Cracks of Doom – Ted Nasmith
- The Shadow of Sauron – Ted Nasmith
- On the Steps of Mount Doom – Donato Giancola
- Gwaihir bears Gandalf over Mordor to Mount Doom.
- Bard II and Thorin Stonehelm drive the enemy from Dale.
- Celeborn and Thranduil destroy Dol Guldur. Galadriel purifies the fortress.
- All over Middle Earth, the enemy flees.
- Sam and Frodo awaken to find Gandalf. They are taken outside where the whole Army of the West celebrates their deeds.
- They are reunited with Pippin, Merry, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli.
- Elrond receives word of Sauron’s defeat. He gives leave for Arwen to marry Aragorn.
- Faramir and Eowyn speak of their dreams, a wave climbing over green lands. As they do so, the shadows depart and the sun is unveiled.
- Faramir shows Eowyn the beauty of healing and of the gardens. He offers her his love.
- The Army of the West return to the city. Faramir gives Aragorn the keys and the crown of Earnur.
- Gandalf crowns Aragorn King of Gondor and Arnor.
- Aragorn enters Minas Tirith and sits on his throne.
- Aragorn pardons the Easterlings and the Haradrim. He pardons Beregond from death, but banishes him from Minas Tirith, setting him to instead be captain of the White Company in Ithilien.
- Eowyn speaks with Aragorn. Afterwards, she agrees to marry Faramir.
- Elladan and Elrohir meet the escort of Arwen, including Elrond, Glorfindel, Galadriel and Celeborn.
- Gandalf takes Aragorn high into the mountains. They look across his realm and find a sapling of the White Tree.
- Weeks later, Aragorn and Arwen are wed.
- The Fellowship and their friends leave Minas Tirith.
- King Theoden is laid to rest. Faramir and Eowyn are betrothed.
- Arwen speaks to Frodo of her place on the ships into the west.
- Elrond and Arwen go into the hills where they say their final goodbyes.
- Treebeard reveals he has released Saruman.
- Legolas and Gimli leave the Fellowship, travelling through Fangorn.
- Aragorn says farewell. He watches the Fellowship go north, the green fire of the Elfstone in his hand.
- They come across Saruman and offer him mercy. He declines.
- The company reaches Rivendell. Frodo reunites with Bilbo
Adapted from chapters ‘The Field of Cormallen’, ‘The Steward and the King’ and ‘Many Partings’ and Appendices A and B of The Lord of the Rings.
- The Steward and the King – Anke Eissmann
- The Field of Cormallen – Tolman Cotton
- The Sun Unveiled – Ted Nasmith
- The Crowning of Elessar – Francesco Amadio
- The Judgement on Beregond – Maureval
- Elessar and Mithrandir – Peter Xavier Price
- King and His Queen – Janka Lateckova
- Arwen’s Gift – Anke Eissmann
- Journey Home – Anna Lee
- Saruman is Overtaken – Ted Nasmith
- The Numenoreans trade with the elves of Lindon and the men of the south.
- Messengers from Valinor arrive. The men of Numenor argue about why they are not allowed to sail to Valinor.
- The servants of Sauron construct Barad-Dur and the Black Gate.
Eregion (S.A. 1500)
- Celebrimbor and Sauron talk. Celebrimbor directs him to Gil-Galad.
- Celebrimbor makes advances on Galadriel, who refuses him.
- Celebrimbor creates a version of the Elessar for Galadriel.
- They are visited by dwarves of Khazad-Dum who ask for help in creating doorways to their kingdom.
- Celebrimbor creates the Door of Durin.
- Gil-Galad does not trust Sauron and turns him away.
- Sauron returns to Celebrimbor and suggests the idea for the Rings of Power.
- Sauron turns Celebrimbor against Galadriel, driving her away.
- The Rings of Power are made. Celebrimbor creates three rings without Sauron’s knowledge.
- Sauron leaves Eregion.
- Galadriel and Celeborn come across Lorinand and decide to settle there.
- Sauron creates the One Ring.
- As Sauron puts the Ring on, Celebrimbor becomes aware of his treachery. He sends messengers to Gil-Galad.
- Sauron attacks Eregion. Dwarves arrive from the east but are defeated. Gil-Galad sends word to Numenor.
- Celebrimbor sends the three rings away, two to Gil-Galad and one to Galadriel.
- Sauron tortures Celebrimbor for the location of the rings. Celebrimbor is killed and his body carried as a banner for the forces of Sauron.
First Appearances – Tar-Minastir, Ciryatur, Durin III, Narvi, Amdir, Amroth
Deaths – Celebrimbor
- City of Ost-in-Edhel Mural – Alan Lee
- Barad-Dur – J.R.R. Tolkien
- Sauron – Weillach
- Celebrimbor – Angus McBride
- The Forging of the One – Ted Nasmith
- Celebrimbor – Kaaile
- King Tar-Minastir sails to Lindon with many thousands.
- Elrond is besieged in Imladris.
- The Dunedain defeat Sauron and lift the Siege of Imladris.
- Sauron flees back to Mordor
- Sauron reveals he has captured the remaining Rings. He gives them to men and dwarves who trust him.
- Glorfindel returns to Middle-Earth, bringing with him the Blue wizards.
- The first White Council is held. Glorfindel introduces the Istari to the Council, detailing their mission.
- Elrond first meets Celebrian, the daughter of Galadriel and Celeborn.
- The King’s Men, under Pharazon, return from battling Sauron in Middle-Earth.
- The King’s Men speak out against the Valar and the elves.
- The Faithful, led by Amandil and his son Elendil, tend to the fading White Tree and to the Hallow of Eru.
- King Tar-Palantir repents for the actions of past Kings and seeks the forgiveness of the Valar, but it does not come.
- The majority of the Numenoreans remain against the Valar, encouraged by Pharazon.
- Sauron claims his title as King of Men. He releases the Nazgul to terrorise the people of Middle-Earth.
First Appearances – Tar-Palantir, Pharazon, Amandil, Elendil, Isildur, Anarion, Miriel, The Witch-King, Alatar, Pallando
Deaths – Tar-Minastir, Ciryatur, Narvi, Durin III
- White Tree of Numenor
- Imladris – Eric Faure-Brac
- Glorfindel – Liga Klavina
- At the Foot of the Meneltarma – Jef Murray
- Black Riders – John Howe
- Tar-Palantir dies with his daughter Miriel by his side.
- Pharazon, Amandil and the other lords decide what to do with the kingship.
- Pharazon, with the support of the people, seizes the thrones and takes Miriel as wife against her will.
- Amandil and Elendil attempt to stop this, but are overruled by the majority. They return to their lands of Romenna.
- Pharazon bans all elven visitors to Numenor.
- The last elves on Numenor bring word of Sauron’s doings and leave Romenna with Amandil’s messages to Gil-Galad.
- The Nazgul attack the Numenoreans settlements in Middle-Earth.
- Elendil tells Ar-Pharazon of Sauron’s proclamation.
- Ar-Pharazon declares war on Sauron, ready to take the title of ‘King of Men’ for his own.
- Ar-Pharazon’s navy sets sail towards Middle-Earth. The Faithful remain behind.
- Elendil continues to tend to the failing White Tree.
- Ar-Pharazon’s great fleet lands at Umbar. The men and orcs there flee.
- Sauron witnesses the host marching to the Black Gate. Even his greatest servants desert him.
- Heralds arrive at Barad-Dur to call Sauron to Ar-Pharazon.
- Sauron submits before Ar-Pharazon, swearing fealty to him.
- Ar-Pharazon takes Sauron back to Numenor as a hostage. Sauron feigns dismay, but is secretly glad.
First Appearances – Fuinur, Herumor
Death – Tar-Palantir
- Mairon the Admirable – ?
- Ar-Zimraphel – Shyangell
- Horsemen in the Night – John Howe
- Sauron Comes to Ar-Pharazon – Demi-urgic
- Elendil and his sons fight against the winds. They are separated.
- The White Council meet again to discuss the Breaking of the World.
- Elendil’s ships arrive on the shores of Lindon.
- Elendil meets with Gil-Galad and the Council and tells them of the Downfall of Numenor.
- Sauron rises from the sea in physical form.
- Isildur and Anarion’s ships come to the Mouths of Anduin. They sail up the Anduin until they reach Pelargir.
- Gil-Galad guides Elendil up the river Lhun. Here Elendil finds settlements of Numenoreans. He and his followers settle here, calling their land Arnor.
- Anarion travels to the North, where he finds his father.
- (Building of Annuminas, Minas Ithil, Minas Anor and Osgiliath)
- The Palantiri are placed all other Middle-Earth.
- Sauron returns to Barad-Dur and wears the One Ring. Mount Doom erupts.
First Appearances – Aratan, Ciryan, Valandil
- Annuminas – Lord of the Rings Online, Turbine, Inc.
- Ships of the Faithful – Ted Nasmith
- Pelargir – ?
- Osgiliath – Alan Lee