Season three’s main story will the the Tale of Beren and Luthien. It also covers the Union of Maedhros and the Battle of Unnumbered Tears. Some years have been condensed to fit the structure of the episodes better. It covers roughly F.A. 457-472.
The episode descriptions begin to get longer, as the stories told are more descriptive in the text. Less original material would need to be created for the next few seasons, mainly only dialogue and a few character scenes.
This season is framed by Elrond and Maglor walking along the southern coast of Gondor, during the early years of Gondor’s history.
- Elrond accompanies Maglor on a journey along the south coast of Gondor. Maglor continues his tales of the First Age
- Luthien goes wandering with her friend Daeron in the woods. Daeron plays the flute and Luthien dances for him. Luthien knows he loves her, but she does not return his affections.
- Thingol and Melian speak about a suitable husband for Luthien.
- Morgoth surveys the realm with Sauron after the death of Fingolfin. Not yet content, he wants to proceed with the invasion of Beleriand. He orders Sauron to attack Minas Tirith.
- Barahir and his outlaws continue to live in Dorthonion. Finding an orc encampment, they raid and destroy it.
- At night, they themselves are raided. Several of his men are killed and so only 12 remain.
- They return to their lair by the Tarn Aeluin.
- Fingon takes up the seat of his father.
- Turgon looks over as more and more elves come to his hidden city, while he commands the Eagles to take out any of Morgoth’s servants who come too near.
- Hurin and Huor talk to Turgon about leaving Gondolin. Turgon agrees if they swear to him an oath of secrecy.
- As night falls, Orodreth and his people are overcome by fear.
- Hidden by nightfall, Sauron leads his forces in a surprise attack.
- Orodreth realises he is vastly outnumbered and flees with the rest of his people.
- Seeing his numbers bolstered by people fleeing Dorthonion, Maedhros prepares to take back the Pass of Aglon.
First Appearances – Thuringwethil, Celebrimbor, Beleg, Mablung
Adapted from chapters ‘Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin’ and ‘Of Beren and Luthien’ from The Silmarillion and ‘The Lay of Leithian’ from The Lays of Beleriand.
- Tol-in-Gaurhoth – Morgoth Belegruth
- Daeron and Luthien – Anke Eissman
- Hurin and Huor Approaching Gondolin – Donato Giancola
- Sauron the Deceiver – Skullbastard
- Barahir and his outlaws drive out a band of orcs from a cluster of towns in Dorthonion, freeing several people who lived there.
- Morgoth is furious at his forces for being unable to kill Barahir. He orders Sauron to go after them.
- Maedhros and Maglor ride forward to take back the Pass. It was scarcely guarded and they manage to do it quickly.
- Celegorm and Curufin come across Orodreth fleeing Minas Tirith. They destroy the orcs following them and suggest they head towards Nargothrond.
- Gorlim leaves the band at night, returning to look for his wife. He sees her in the window, but discovers it was a trap laid by Sauron. Sauron’s hunters torture him for information. After he refuses to give any, they promise to reunite him with his wife.
- Barahir sends Beren on a scouting mission to the East.
- Hurin and Huor depart Gondolin, returning to Dor-lomin.
- Gorlim is brought before Sauron. He agrees to give up Barahir if he is allowed a free life with his wife. After he hears the information, Sauron informs Gorlim his wife has long been dead and kills him.
- The wraith of Gorlim comes to Beren in his sleep, informing Beren of his betrayal. Beren rushes back.
- Sauron’s orcs, led by Drauglin, ambush Barahir and his men at their lair. The ten remaining men are slaughtered.
- Beren returns too late. He recovers his father’s ring, but refuses to grieve.
- Hurin and Huor return to Dor-lomin, where they are reunited with their father Galdor.
- Beren flees South to Doriath, where he comes across Luthien dancing in the woods.
First Appearances – Haldir, Hundar
Deaths – Barahir, Baragund, Belegund, Gorlim, Gildor, Radhruin, Dairuin, Gorlim, Urthel, Dagnir, Arthad
Adapted from chapters ‘Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin’ and ‘Of Beren and Luthien’ from The Silmarillion, ‘The Lay of Leithian’ from the Lays of Beleriand and ‘The Grey Annals’ from The War of the Jewels.
- Beren the Solitary Outlaw – peet
- Gorlim ill-fated – Kakomicly
- Hunting with the Great Hounds – Henning Janssen
- The Tale of Beren and Luthien – Unknown
- Beren watches Luthien for a time, before he reveals himself. He calls her ‘Nightingale’. Luthien flees from him with Daeron, not understanding fear.
- Beren searches for Luthien again. He hears her singing on a hill. He runs out of the shadows crying ‘Tinuviel’. Luthien does not flee after she sees his fair form.
- Beren relays his story to Luthien, including the death of his father.
- Luthien takes him back to her father’s realm, but does not inform Thingol.
- Luthien leaves every day to see Beren, making Thingol curious.
- Still suffering from despair, Luthien cradles Beren’s head against her breast, holding his hand. He falls for her. Seeing the love and happiness her actions give to Beren, she falls for him too.
- Luthien refuses to go walking with Daeron. Out of duty, Daeron informs Thingol of Beren.
- Thingol speaks to Melian and Galadriel about Luthien, who warn him against angering his daughter
- Orodreth and the two Sons of Feanor come to Nargothrond. Finrod is hesitant to welcome Celegorm and Curufin but does so.
- Caranthir and Amras reach Amon Ereb, where they make deals with Azaghal the dwarf of Belegost.
- Sauron reports back to Morgoth, who is pleased. He tasks Sauron to man Minas Tirith while he attacks Hithlum.
- Fingon has gotten word that Morgoth is planning to attack Hithlum from the north. He rides out to meet them.
- Vastly outnumbered, he is overrun. Luckily, word had reached Cirdan in the Falas, who sailed his ships north and saves Fingon.
- Galdor was slain in combat. Hurin defies the orders of Fingon and chases the orcs throughout Anfauglith, slaughtering many.
First Appearances – Gwindor, Edrahil
Deaths – Galdor
Adapted from chapters ‘Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin’ and ‘Of Beren and Luthien’ from The Silmarillion, ‘The Lay of Leithian’ from The Lays of Beleriand and ‘The Grey Annals’ from The War of the Jewels
- Beren and Luthien – maril1
- Tinuviel! Tinuviel! – woutart
- Nightingale – Paula DiSante
- Hurin on Horseback – Alan Lee
- Hurin returns to Dor-lomin, where he takes lordship over the land. He courts Morwen of the House of Beor.
- Beren and Luthien continue to live in the woods, deeply in love.
- Thingol follows Luthien one day and confronts them together. He brings them back to Menegroth.
- Luthien pleads with her father to allow them to be together, but Thingol refuses. Luthien does succeed in convincing him to spare Beren’s life.
- Beren is sent before Thingol and questioned. Seeing Beren’s true devotion to his daughter, Thingol decides not to banish Beren. But determined for them not to marry, he sets an impossible bride price: a Silmaril from Morgoth’s crown.
- Beren goes to see Luthien and tells her he intends to complete the task. Luthien asks him to stay but he is determined, leaving Menegroth immediately.
- Luthien is determined to help Beren, but Thingol does not allow it and imprisons her in a treehouse.
- Celegorm and Curufin take active duties in the fortress, gaining many followers. Celegorm’s wolf, Huan, takes a liking to Finrod.
- Maglor sets out to find his lost brothers.
- Easterlings journey past Himring. Maedhros intercepts them. The Easterlings swear loyalty to Maedhros.
First Appearances – Morwen, Ulfang, Finduilas, Rian
Adapted from chapters ‘Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin’ and ‘Of Beren and Luthien’ from the Silmarillion and ‘The Lay of Leithian’ from The Lays of Beleriand.
- Trial of Beren – Anke Eissmann
- Of Beren and Luthien – Ulla Thynell
- A Sense of Foreboding – Tuuliky
- Tyelkormo and Curufinwe – Tuuliky
- Beren comes to Nargothrond, requesting audience with Finrod. Celegorm is hesitant to allow it, but Orodreth overrules him.
- Beren shows Finrod the Ring of Barahir, asking for his help. Remembering his oath, Finrod agrees.
- Celegorm and Curufin convince, with lies or threats, the majority of Nargothrond not to follow Beren.
- Finrod asks his soldiers to accompany him, but only ten come forward.
- Finrod leaves Orodreth in charge.
- Beren and Finrod come across a pack of orcs. Nearing Tol Sirion, they ambush and kill the orcs, taking their gear. Finrod disguises them all.
- Beneath Minas Tirith however, Sauron’s servants see through the disguises and they are captured.
- Brought before Sauron, Finrod attacks him. Sauron shrugs it off and attacks Finrod with spells. Finrod fights back with spells and songs of Quenya from Valinor, but is unable to overcome Sauron.
- Sauron locks them away. He sends a werewolf in to execute them.
- In the dark, the werewolf picks them off one by one as they are chained. When it comes for Beren, Finrod sees it and breaks his chains. Finrod is wounded deeply, but manages to kill the wolf with his bare hands.
- Barely alive, Beren calls Finrod’s oath redeemed. Finrod passes away in the tower he himself had built.
- In a dream, Luthien sees Beren chained in a dungeon. Melian comes to her and confirms that Beren is held captive.
- Luthien manages to lull the guards to sleep using her powers as the daughter of Melian. She steal a horse and escapes Doriath.
- Celegorm takes Curufin and Huan to follow Finrod.
- Luthien races to Minas Tirith, but she is found by Huan in the forest. Huan takes her back to Celegorm.
- When Celegorm learns of her identity, he appears friendly to her. However, he confides in Curufin that he wishes to marry her.
- Curufin sends a letter to Doriath entailing Celegorm’s intentions.
Deaths – Finrod, Edrahil
Adapted from ‘Of Beren and Luthien’ from the Silmarillion and ‘The Lay of Leithian’ from The Lays of Beleriand.
- Beren and Finrod – Alice Falto
- Beren Before Felagund – Anke Eissmann
- Duel – Hellga-Z
- Luthien Escapes the Treehouse – Ted Nasmith
- Word reaches Maedhros from Fingon. Maglor arrives back with Caranthir and Angrod, telling Maedhros that Azaghal is on their side.
- The Eagles carry Beren, Luthien and Huan to Menegroth.
- Thingol has his healers see to them immediately. He confronts Beren, who says he holds a Silmaril in his hand. Thingol only sees his stump. However, after hearing their story Thingol holds Beren above mortal men, and gives him permission to marry Luthien.
- Mablung and Beleg report back to Thingol about Carcharoth ravaging lands near the borders of Doriath.
- Beren and Luthien are married that day.
- Soon after, Thingol gathers a hunting party to kill Carcharoth. Beren, Beleg, Mablung, Huan and several others go along.
- In the forest Beren is assaulted by Carcharoth, tearing him open. Huan leaps onto him and is mortally wounded himself, but manages to kill Carcharoth. He lays down beside Beren and dies.
- Mablung cuts open the belly of Carcharoth and finds the Silmaril, Beren’s hand still holding it. He gives it to Beren, who in turn hands it over to Thingol as his bride price.
- Beren is taken back to Menegroth, where he dies in Luthien’s arms. When Thingol sends elves in to take Beren’s body away, they find Luthien dead as well.
- Hurin gives his son Turin a knife as a gift. Turin in turn gives it to his friend Sador, who needs it for woodworking.
- Hurin is called away to Hithlum by Fingon. He gathers Huor and his army and says farewell to his family.
- Maedhros comes to Hithlum with his brothers, Azaghal of the dwarves and Ulfang of the Easterlings . They find Celegorm and Curufin already there.
- Maedhros and Fingon talk about the deeds of Beren and Luthien. Maedhros sets out a battle plan to eventually besiege and destroy Angband. There Maedhros forms the Union of Maedhros.
- Maeglin brings word of the Union to Turgon, who agrees to join his brother in battle. For the first time, Turgon leads his elves out from Gondolin.
First Appearances – Lalaith, Turin, Sador
Deaths – Beren, Luthien, Huan, Carcharoth
Adapted from chapters ‘Of Beren and Luthien’ and ‘Of the Fifth Battle’ from the Silmarillion, ‘The Lay of Leithian’ from the Lays of Beleriand, ‘Narn i Hin Hurin’ from Unfinished Tales and ‘The Childhood of Turin’ from The Children of Hurin
- The Quest Fulfilled – Anke Eissman
- Beren and Luthien – Lleayhe
- Huan’s Leap – Ted Nasmith
- The Death – Tuuliky
- Union of Maedhros – Eilian
- Gothmog cuts through the elves, separating Turgon and Fingon.
- Glaurung attacks Maedhros, who is ambushed by the traitorous Easterlings. Maedhros orders a retreat.
- Azaghal and the dwarves form the rearguard, protecting the elves from Glaurung. Glaurung attacks Azaghal, but is then attacked by all sides by the dwarves. Azaghal is crushed, but manages to stab Glaurung. The dragon retreats back to Angband.
- The dwarves carry their King back to Belegost.
- Gothmog duels Fingon, who matches him blow for blow. Fingon however is caught in the whip of another balrog and killed by Gothmog. The balrogs then hew and pound his body into the dust.
- Hurin covers Turgon’s retreat to Gondolin. Now surrounded, all his men fight to the death. Huor is killed by an arrow to the eye. Come upon by a host of orcs and trolls, Hurin slays them all and is buried under their corpses.
- Turgon’s army reaches Gondolin. He orders the gates locked and sealed forever.
- Luthien and Beren return to Doriath, lifting the winter of Thingol. Thingol is amazed, and grants the two his blessing to do whatever they wish with their lives.
- Melian sees the mortality in Luthien’s eyes and cannot bear to witness her daughter’s death.
- Beren and Luthien say goodbye to the people of Doriath and leave to live in Ossiriand, away from war.
- The sons of Feanor pass Himring, now overrun with orcs. Maedhros declares it lost and the brothers pass into the south.
- The few remaining soldiers of Fingon return to Hithlum with the blood-drenched banner of Fingon. They warn the residents that Easterlings are on their way. They abandon Hithlum.
- Hurin is taken to Angband in chains. Gwindor is also imprisoned.
- Morgoth betrays the Easterlings and confines them to Hithlum, instead of giving them reign over Beleriand as promised.
- Finrod walks through Valinor with his father, Finarfin. He is overcome with joy at being reunited with Amarie, his beloved.
- Beren and Luthien settle in Ossiriand, in a small house away from the rest of civilisation. There they have a son, Dior.
First Appearance – Dior
Deaths – Fingon, Huor, Azaghal, Ulfang
Adapted from ‘Of Beren and Luthien’ and ‘Of the Fifth Battle’ from The Silmarillion, ‘The Lay of Leithian’ from The Lays of Beleriand, ‘The Battle of Unnumbered Tears’ and ‘The Words of Hurin and Morgoth’ from The Children of Hurin, ‘Narn I Hin Hurin’ from Unfinished Tales and ‘The Grey Annals’ from The War of the Jewels.
- Battle of Unnumbered Tears – ?
- Glaurung Fighting with Dwarves – Justin Gerard
- Nirnaeth Arnoediad – Unnumbered Tears – Jenny Dolfen
- Hurin – Fragoulis
- Finrod and Amarie II – Hemhet