- Hurin returns to Dor-lomin, where he takes lordship over the land. He courts Morwen of the House of Beor.
- Beren and Luthien continue to live in the woods, deeply in love.
- Thingol follows Luthien one day and confronts them together. He brings them back to Menegroth.
- Luthien pleads with her father to allow them to be together, but Thingol refuses. Luthien does succeed in convincing him to spare Beren’s life.
- Beren is sent before Thingol and questioned. Seeing Beren’s true devotion to his daughter, Thingol decides not to banish Beren. But determined for them not to marry, he sets an impossible bride price: a Silmaril from Morgoth’s crown.
- Beren goes to see Luthien and tells her he intends to complete the task. Luthien asks him to stay but he is determined, leaving Menegroth immediately.
- Luthien is determined to help Beren, but Thingol does not allow it and imprisons her in a treehouse.
- Celegorm and Curufin take active duties in the fortress, gaining many followers. Celegorm’s wolf, Huan, takes a liking to Finrod.
- Maglor sets out to find his lost brothers.
- Easterlings journey past Himring. Maedhros intercepts them. The Easterlings swear loyalty to Maedhros.
First Appearances – Morwen, Ulfang, Finduilas, Rian
Adapted from chapters ‘Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin’ and ‘Of Beren and Luthien’ from the Silmarillion and ‘The Lay of Leithian’ from The Lays of Beleriand.
- Trial of Beren – Anke Eissmann
- Of Beren and Luthien – Ulla Thynell
- A Sense of Foreboding – Tuuliky
- Tyelkormo and Curufinwe – Tuuliky
- Beren comes to Nargothrond, requesting audience with Finrod. Celegorm is hesitant to allow it, but Orodreth overrules him.
- Beren shows Finrod the Ring of Barahir, asking for his help. Remembering his oath, Finrod agrees.
- Celegorm and Curufin convince, with lies or threats, the majority of Nargothrond not to follow Beren.
- Finrod asks his soldiers to accompany him, but only ten come forward.
- Finrod leaves Orodreth in charge.
- Beren and Finrod come across a pack of orcs. Nearing Tol Sirion, they ambush and kill the orcs, taking their gear. Finrod disguises them all.
- Beneath Minas Tirith however, Sauron’s servants see through the disguises and they are captured.
- Brought before Sauron, Finrod attacks him. Sauron shrugs it off and attacks Finrod with spells. Finrod fights back with spells and songs of Quenya from Valinor, but is unable to overcome Sauron.
- Sauron locks them away. He sends a werewolf in to execute them.
- In the dark, the werewolf picks them off one by one as they are chained. When it comes for Beren, Finrod sees it and breaks his chains. Finrod is wounded deeply, but manages to kill the wolf with his bare hands.
- Barely alive, Beren calls Finrod’s oath redeemed. Finrod passes away in the tower he himself had built.
- In a dream, Luthien sees Beren chained in a dungeon. Melian comes to her and confirms that Beren is held captive.
- Luthien manages to lull the guards to sleep using her powers as the daughter of Melian. She steal a horse and escapes Doriath.
- Celegorm takes Curufin and Huan to follow Finrod.
- Luthien races to Minas Tirith, but she is found by Huan in the forest. Huan takes her back to Celegorm.
- When Celegorm learns of her identity, he appears friendly to her. However, he confides in Curufin that he wishes to marry her.
- Curufin sends a letter to Doriath entailing Celegorm’s intentions.
Deaths – Finrod, Edrahil
Adapted from ‘Of Beren and Luthien’ from the Silmarillion and ‘The Lay of Leithian’ from The Lays of Beleriand.
- Beren and Finrod – Alice Falto
- Beren Before Felagund – Anke Eissmann
- Duel – Hellga-Z
- Luthien Escapes the Treehouse – Ted Nasmith
- Word reaches Maedhros from Fingon. Maglor arrives back with Caranthir and Angrod, telling Maedhros that Azaghal is on their side.
- The Eagles carry Beren, Luthien and Huan to Menegroth.
- Thingol has his healers see to them immediately. He confronts Beren, who says he holds a Silmaril in his hand. Thingol only sees his stump. However, after hearing their story Thingol holds Beren above mortal men, and gives him permission to marry Luthien.
- Mablung and Beleg report back to Thingol about Carcharoth ravaging lands near the borders of Doriath.
- Beren and Luthien are married that day.
- Soon after, Thingol gathers a hunting party to kill Carcharoth. Beren, Beleg, Mablung, Huan and several others go along.
- In the forest Beren is assaulted by Carcharoth, tearing him open. Huan leaps onto him and is mortally wounded himself, but manages to kill Carcharoth. He lays down beside Beren and dies.
- Mablung cuts open the belly of Carcharoth and finds the Silmaril, Beren’s hand still holding it. He gives it to Beren, who in turn hands it over to Thingol as his bride price.
- Beren is taken back to Menegroth, where he dies in Luthien’s arms. When Thingol sends elves in to take Beren’s body away, they find Luthien dead as well.
- Hurin gives his son Turin a knife as a gift. Turin in turn gives it to his friend Sador, who needs it for woodworking.
- Hurin is called away to Hithlum by Fingon. He gathers Huor and his army and says farewell to his family.
- Maedhros comes to Hithlum with his brothers, Azaghal of the dwarves and Ulfang of the Easterlings . They find Celegorm and Curufin already there.
- Maedhros and Fingon talk about the deeds of Beren and Luthien. Maedhros sets out a battle plan to eventually besiege and destroy Angband. There Maedhros forms the Union of Maedhros.
- Maeglin brings word of the Union to Turgon, who agrees to join his brother in battle. For the first time, Turgon leads his elves out from Gondolin.
First Appearances – Lalaith, Turin, Sador
Deaths – Beren, Luthien, Huan, Carcharoth
Adapted from chapters ‘Of Beren and Luthien’ and ‘Of the Fifth Battle’ from the Silmarillion, ‘The Lay of Leithian’ from the Lays of Beleriand, ‘Narn i Hin Hurin’ from Unfinished Tales and ‘The Childhood of Turin’ from The Children of Hurin
- The Quest Fulfilled – Anke Eissman
- Beren and Luthien – Lleayhe
- Huan’s Leap – Ted Nasmith
- The Death – Tuuliky
- Union of Maedhros – Eilian
- Gothmog cuts through the elves, separating Turgon and Fingon.
- Glaurung attacks Maedhros, who is ambushed by the traitorous Easterlings. Maedhros orders a retreat.
- Azaghal and the dwarves form the rearguard, protecting the elves from Glaurung. Glaurung attacks Azaghal, but is then attacked by all sides by the dwarves. Azaghal is crushed, but manages to stab Glaurung. The dragon retreats back to Angband.
- The dwarves carry their King back to Belegost.
- Gothmog duels Fingon, who matches him blow for blow. Fingon however is caught in the whip of another balrog and killed by Gothmog. The balrogs then hew and pound his body into the dust.
- Hurin covers Turgon’s retreat to Gondolin. Now surrounded, all his men fight to the death. Huor is killed by an arrow to the eye. Come upon by a host of orcs and trolls, Hurin slays them all and is buried under their corpses.
- Turgon’s army reaches Gondolin. He orders the gates locked and sealed forever.
- Luthien and Beren return to Doriath, lifting the winter of Thingol. Thingol is amazed, and grants the two his blessing to do whatever they wish with their lives.
- Melian sees the mortality in Luthien’s eyes and cannot bear to witness her daughter’s death.
- Beren and Luthien say goodbye to the people of Doriath and leave to live in Ossiriand, away from war.
- The sons of Feanor pass Himring, now overrun with orcs. Maedhros declares it lost and the brothers pass into the south.
- The few remaining soldiers of Fingon return to Hithlum with the blood-drenched banner of Fingon. They warn the residents that Easterlings are on their way. They abandon Hithlum.
- Hurin is taken to Angband in chains. Gwindor is also imprisoned.
- Morgoth betrays the Easterlings and confines them to Hithlum, instead of giving them reign over Beleriand as promised.
- Finrod walks through Valinor with his father, Finarfin. He is overcome with joy at being reunited with Amarie, his beloved.
- Beren and Luthien settle in Ossiriand, in a small house away from the rest of civilisation. There they have a son, Dior.
First Appearance – Dior
Deaths – Fingon, Huor, Azaghal, Ulfang
Adapted from ‘Of Beren and Luthien’ and ‘Of the Fifth Battle’ from The Silmarillion, ‘The Lay of Leithian’ from The Lays of Beleriand, ‘The Battle of Unnumbered Tears’ and ‘The Words of Hurin and Morgoth’ from The Children of Hurin, ‘Narn I Hin Hurin’ from Unfinished Tales and ‘The Grey Annals’ from The War of the Jewels.
- Battle of Unnumbered Tears – ?
- Glaurung Fighting with Dwarves – Justin Gerard
- Nirnaeth Arnoediad – Unnumbered Tears – Jenny Dolfen
- Hurin – Fragoulis
- Finrod and Amarie II – Hemhet
- Finrod and Turgon leave to journey along Sirion
- They are both sent dreams by Ulmo of hidden sanctuaries. Tumladen and High Faroth.
- When they return to Vinyamar, Turgon goes to find Tumladen.
- Unable to find the place in his dreams, Turgon is visited directly by Ulmo, who guides him to Tumladen.
- Turgon returns to Vinyamar as he sees orcs passing through the Pass of Sirion
- Maedhros and his brothers hunt down the orcs that have penetrated Maglor’s Gap.
- Fingolfin prepares his army for war. He sends Finrod to Doriath once more to enlist the help of Thingol.
- Melian befriends Galadriel. Galadriel tells of the tale of the Noldor, but leaves out the Kinslaying.
- Thingol hears rumours of Valinor. He asks Angrod about the events that led the Noldor to Middle-Earth. He learns of the Silmarils and of the Kinslaying at Aqualonde. Horrified, he bans Quenya in Beleriand and forbids any of the House of Feanor to enter Doriath.
Adapted from chapters ‘Of the Return of the Noldor’, ‘Of Beleriand and Its Realms’ and ‘Of The Noldor in Beleriand’ from The Silmarillion.
- The Rage of Ulmo – Ralph Damiani
- The Coast of Mithrim – Tuuliky
- Ossiriand – Jenny Dolfen
- Galadriel and Melian – yalanrei
- Finrod comes to Doriath once more. He asks Thingol for his help, but Thingol refuses to fight alongside the Sons of Feanor. Galadriel stays in Doriath.
- Angrod and Aegnor hold off the main host of Angband on the plains.
- Finrod returns to Hithlum. After learning of Thingol’s decision, Fingolfin rides out to meet Maedhros.
- Fingolfin and Maedhros plan a counter-attack.
- Fingolfin counter-attacks in the west, while Maedhros counter-attacks in the East.
- The two armies drive the orcs back to Thangorodrim, where they are destroyed.
- Fingolfin sets up the Siege of Angband, posting a watch on the fortress at all times. Fingon guards the north west, Orodreth the Pass of Sirion from Minas Tirith and Feanor’s sons in the East.
- Finrod comes to High Faroth, the location of his planned fortress.
- Turgon removes his people from Vinyamar to Tumladen. He leaves a sword, helm and mail there by Ulmo’s words.
- Montage of the construction of Gondolin
Adapted from chapters ‘Of the Return of the Noldor’, ‘Of Beleriand and Its Realms’ and ‘Of The Noldor in Beleriand’ from The Silmarillion.
- Gondolin – Billy Mosig
- There Will Be Blood – Jenny Dolfen
- Noldor Sentinels – Felix Sotomayor
- Morgoth denounces Glaurung for his actions. He then talks with Sauron about how to break the siege.
- The Green-Elves of Ossiriand scuffle with the men of Beor. Unable to understand each other, they prepare to attack. Finrod steps in and talks down the Green-Elves.
- Finrod leads the men across Beleriand. He speaks with Galadriel to allow them into Doriath to see Thingol. Thingol gives them permission to cross his lands.
- Aredhel bears Eol a son, Maeglin. She wishes to return with them to Gondolin, but he refuses.
- Eol leaves to visit the dwarves. When he returns he finds Aredhel gone with Maeglin. He follows their trail
- Finrod leads Beor and his followers to Estolad, where they settle. Beor leaves his men to visit the High King of the Noldor.
- Beor and Malach speak with Fingolfin.
- Finrod returns to Nargothrond. Beor wishes to remain in his service.
- Not long after returning to Nargothrond, Beor dies of old age.
- Eol finds Aredhel at the entrance to Gondolin and follows them.
- Eol reveals himself to Turgon. Turgon welcomes him as a kinsman.
- Eol wishes to leave, but Turgon tells him none who enter the Hidden City may leave. Eol is enraged by this, and he chooses death, for him and his son. He throws a poisoned dart at Maeglin, but it is caught by Aredhel. The poison pierces her skin and she is killed.
- Turgon casts Eol from the walls of Gondolin.
First Appearance – Maeglin
Deaths – Eol, Aredhel, Beor, Malach
Adapted from chapters ‘Of Maeglin’ and ‘Of the Coming of Men Into the West’ from The Silmarillion and ‘The Later Quenta Silmarillion’ from The War of the Jewels.
- The Awakening – Tumasch
- Felagund Among Beor’s Men – Ted Nasmith
- Eol is Led to the Walls – Ted Nasmith
This episodes marks a departure from the main plot to instead focus on the rest of Middle-Earth rather than the Noldor. The main focuses are Morgoth in Angband and Thingol in Doriath. I found it more effective to give Thingol and episode of his own rather than give him a couple of minutes of screen time every now and then.
Prologue – Doriath (Y.T. 1130)
Tells of how Melian the Maia came to Doriath. And the trance Elwe (Thingol) fell into when he saw her.
Angband (Y.T. 1497)
- Morgoth returns to his seat in Angband, received by Sauron.
- Sauron informs Morgoth of the Sindar Elves that dwell in Doriath.
- Morgoth orders Sauron to prepare the army for attack.
- Thingol meets with the dwarves of Belegost, forging an alliance. He returns home to Melian.
- Spies return to warn Thingol of orcs in the north.
- Doriath is suddenly assaulted by Morgoth in the First Battle.
- Thingol and his army go on the offensive. He and King Denethor of the Green Elves attack the orcs at Amon Ereb. Denethor is slain, but the elves are victorious. The retreating orcs are killed by dwarves.
- Returning to Menegroth, Thingol finds Galadriel and Celeborn.
- Feanor’s encampment in Mithrim ready for battle.
First Appearances – Thingol, Melian, Denethor
Deaths – Denethor
Adapted from chapters ‘Of Thingol and Melian’, ‘Of the Flight of the Noldor’ and ‘Of the Sindar’ from The Silmarillion, ‘The History of Galadriel and Celeborn’ from Unfinished Tales and ‘The Grey Annals’ from The War of the Jewels.
- King of Doriath – Elena Kukanova
- Nan Elmoth – Elwe and Melian – Elena Kukanova
- Angband – Unknown
- Beleg Departs Menegroth – Alan Lee