- Gothmog cuts through the elves, separating Turgon and Fingon.
- Glaurung attacks Maedhros, who is ambushed by the traitorous Easterlings. Maedhros orders a retreat.
- Azaghal and the dwarves form the rearguard, protecting the elves from Glaurung. Glaurung attacks Azaghal, but is then attacked by all sides by the dwarves. Azaghal is crushed, but manages to stab Glaurung. The dragon retreats back to Angband.
- The dwarves carry their King back to Belegost.
- Gothmog duels Fingon, who matches him blow for blow. Fingon however is caught in the whip of another balrog and killed by Gothmog. The balrogs then hew and pound his body into the dust.
- Hurin covers Turgon’s retreat to Gondolin. Now surrounded, all his men fight to the death. Huor is killed by an arrow to the eye. Come upon by a host of orcs and trolls, Hurin slays them all and is buried under their corpses.
- Turgon’s army reaches Gondolin. He orders the gates locked and sealed forever.
- Luthien and Beren return to Doriath, lifting the winter of Thingol. Thingol is amazed, and grants the two his blessing to do whatever they wish with their lives.
- Melian sees the mortality in Luthien’s eyes and cannot bear to witness her daughter’s death.
- Beren and Luthien say goodbye to the people of Doriath and leave to live in Ossiriand, away from war.
- The sons of Feanor pass Himring, now overrun with orcs. Maedhros declares it lost and the brothers pass into the south.
- The few remaining soldiers of Fingon return to Hithlum with the blood-drenched banner of Fingon. They warn the residents that Easterlings are on their way. They abandon Hithlum.
- Hurin is taken to Angband in chains. Gwindor is also imprisoned.
- Morgoth betrays the Easterlings and confines them to Hithlum, instead of giving them reign over Beleriand as promised.
- Finrod walks through Valinor with his father, Finarfin. He is overcome with joy at being reunited with Amarie, his beloved.
- Beren and Luthien settle in Ossiriand, in a small house away from the rest of civilisation. There they have a son, Dior.
First Appearance – Dior
Deaths – Fingon, Huor, Azaghal, Ulfang
Adapted from ‘Of Beren and Luthien’ and ‘Of the Fifth Battle’ from The Silmarillion, ‘The Lay of Leithian’ from The Lays of Beleriand, ‘The Battle of Unnumbered Tears’ and ‘The Words of Hurin and Morgoth’ from The Children of Hurin, ‘Narn I Hin Hurin’ from Unfinished Tales and ‘The Grey Annals’ from The War of the Jewels.
- Battle of Unnumbered Tears – ?
- Glaurung Fighting with Dwarves – Justin Gerard
- Nirnaeth Arnoediad – Unnumbered Tears – Jenny Dolfen
- Hurin – Fragoulis
- Finrod and Amarie II – Hemhet