- Hurin returns to Dor-lomin, where he takes lordship over the land. He courts Morwen of the House of Beor.
- Beren and Luthien continue to live in the woods, deeply in love.
- Thingol follows Luthien one day and confronts them together. He brings them back to Menegroth.
- Luthien pleads with her father to allow them to be together, but Thingol refuses. Luthien does succeed in convincing him to spare Beren’s life.
- Beren is sent before Thingol and questioned. Seeing Beren’s true devotion to his daughter, Thingol decides not to banish Beren. But determined for them not to marry, he sets an impossible bride price: a Silmaril from Morgoth’s crown.
- Beren goes to see Luthien and tells her he intends to complete the task. Luthien asks him to stay but he is determined, leaving Menegroth immediately.
- Luthien is determined to help Beren, but Thingol does not allow it and imprisons her in a treehouse.
- Celegorm and Curufin take active duties in the fortress, gaining many followers. Celegorm’s wolf, Huan, takes a liking to Finrod.
- Maglor sets out to find his lost brothers.
- Easterlings journey past Himring. Maedhros intercepts them. The Easterlings swear loyalty to Maedhros.
First Appearances – Morwen, Ulfang, Finduilas, Rian
Adapted from chapters ‘Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin’ and ‘Of Beren and Luthien’ from the Silmarillion and ‘The Lay of Leithian’ from The Lays of Beleriand.
- Trial of Beren – Anke Eissmann
- Of Beren and Luthien – Ulla Thynell
- A Sense of Foreboding – Tuuliky
- Tyelkormo and Curufinwe – Tuuliky
- Beren comes to Nargothrond, requesting audience with Finrod. Celegorm is hesitant to allow it, but Orodreth overrules him.
- Beren shows Finrod the Ring of Barahir, asking for his help. Remembering his oath, Finrod agrees.
- Celegorm and Curufin convince, with lies or threats, the majority of Nargothrond not to follow Beren.
- Finrod asks his soldiers to accompany him, but only ten come forward.
- Finrod leaves Orodreth in charge.
- Beren and Finrod come across a pack of orcs. Nearing Tol Sirion, they ambush and kill the orcs, taking their gear. Finrod disguises them all.
- Beneath Minas Tirith however, Sauron’s servants see through the disguises and they are captured.
- Brought before Sauron, Finrod attacks him. Sauron shrugs it off and attacks Finrod with spells. Finrod fights back with spells and songs of Quenya from Valinor, but is unable to overcome Sauron.
- Sauron locks them away. He sends a werewolf in to execute them.
- In the dark, the werewolf picks them off one by one as they are chained. When it comes for Beren, Finrod sees it and breaks his chains. Finrod is wounded deeply, but manages to kill the wolf with his bare hands.
- Barely alive, Beren calls Finrod’s oath redeemed. Finrod passes away in the tower he himself had built.
- In a dream, Luthien sees Beren chained in a dungeon. Melian comes to her and confirms that Beren is held captive.
- Luthien manages to lull the guards to sleep using her powers as the daughter of Melian. She steal a horse and escapes Doriath.
- Celegorm takes Curufin and Huan to follow Finrod.
- Luthien races to Minas Tirith, but she is found by Huan in the forest. Huan takes her back to Celegorm.
- When Celegorm learns of her identity, he appears friendly to her. However, he confides in Curufin that he wishes to marry her.
- Curufin sends a letter to Doriath entailing Celegorm’s intentions.
Deaths – Finrod, Edrahil
Adapted from ‘Of Beren and Luthien’ from the Silmarillion and ‘The Lay of Leithian’ from The Lays of Beleriand.
- Beren and Finrod – Alice Falto
- Beren Before Felagund – Anke Eissmann
- Duel – Hellga-Z
- Luthien Escapes the Treehouse – Ted Nasmith
- Beren is visited by Sauron and told that he is left to starve. Finrod’s body is displayed before the gates.
- Luthien is brought to Nargothrond. Orodreth enquires about her but is lied to by Celegorm.
- Luthien is locked away and Celegorm reveals his true intentions.
- Betraying his master, Huan speaks to Luthien. Feeling pity for her, he helps her escape.
- Huan follows Luthien and promises to take her to Minas Tirith.
- Thingol discovers Luthien missing and is told of the letter from Celegorm. He sends riders out to find her.
- Huan brings Luthien to Minas Tirith. Guarded fiercely by wolves and orcs, Huan manages to slay every one of them and gains entry to the tower.
- Luthien sing for Beren. Beren hears her and calls back, believing himself delirious.
- Sauron also hears Luthien singing and wishes to capture her for Morgoth. He sends many wolves to kill Huan, but he kills them with ease.
- Sauron sends Drauglin to kill Huan, but Drauglin too is defeated. Finally, Sauron transforms into a wolf himself to fight Huan. Huan dodges his attacks, but Sauron lunges at Luthien. She whips him with her enchanted cloak, disorienting him.
- Huan fights Sauron, who shapeshifts many times. Eventually he wins and Luthien gives Sauron a choice, surrender Minas Tirith or be killed and sent back to Morgoth as a wraith. Sauron flees
- Luthien frees the prisoners and finds Beren. They bury Finrod on his isle and leave to walk in the woods again. Huan returns to Celegorm.
- Beren skins Drauglin and Thuringwethil and takes their hides.
- Thingol’s riders reach Nargothrond. When Orodreth hears their words, he exiles Celegorm and Curufin.
Deaths – Draugluin, Thuringwethil
Adapted from chapters ‘Of Beren and Luthien’ from The Silmarillion and ‘The Lay of Leithian’ from The Lays of Beleriand.
- Huan and Luthien Escape Nargothrond – Ted Nasmith
- Luthien Tinuviel and Huan Journey to Angband – Neerachar Sophol
- Huan Subdues Sauron – Ted Nasmith
The Battle of Unnumbered Tears is brought forward to coincide with the deaths of Beren and Luthien, acting as the climax of the third season.
- The orcs of Dorthonion flee the mighty host of Maedhros as he heads back east.
- Riders come to enlist Thingol’s aid for the Union and a demand for the Silmaril. Still grieving for his daughter, Thingol angrily sends them away against Melian’s counsel. Beleg and Mablung join the Union instead.
- Riders also come to enlist Orodreth’s armies. Orodreth refuses to side with Celegorm over his actions in the death of Finrod. However, Gwindor leads a small host to join Fingon without Orodreth’s knowledge.
- Maedhros hears of Thingol’s decision. Celegorm vows to destroy Doriath after dealing with Morgoth. Maedhros gathers his captains (his brothers, Azaghal, Ulfang and Bor) and marches out of Himring.
Halls of Mandos
- Luthien awakes as a shade in the Halls of Mandos, alongside dead elves of ages past. She is called before Mandos.
- Finrod meets Luthien before Mandos, where he is told he will be reincarnated to live in Valinor.
- Luthien sings of her grief to Mandos, who is moved to pity with the circumstances of her death. Mandos summons Beren from the mortal houses of the dead to meet with Luthien again.
- Mandos consults Manwe, who gives Luthien a choice of either living forever in Valinor with her kin or returning to Earth with Beren but only as a mortal. Luthien accepts her mortal fate.
- The armies of Hurin, Cirdan and Gwindor meet in the woods of Ered Wethrin. Fingon relays the battle plan to all his captains.
- Morgoth receives a visitor, Ulfang of the Easterlings. Ulfang betrays Maedhros’ plans to Morgoth.
- Rumours spread of a traitor in Maedhros’ army. This causes them to be delayed.
- Fingon’s army anxiously awaits the arrival of Maedhros.
- Maedhros is suddenly attacked by an army from Angband. Maedhros defeats them, but is now severely delayed.
- Smoke and fire pour forth from Thangorodrim, leading Fingon to realise that Morgoth knows of their presence. Many begin to despair until they see Turgon arrive with 10,000 elves.
- Gwindor’s brother Gelmir is brought out in front of Fingon’s army, where he is mutilated and killed. Gwindor charges forward and attacks the army of Angband, leaving Fingon no choice but to follow.
- Gwindor charges past the gates of Angband, which is snapped shut. Gwindor’s army is slaughtered and a huge host emerges from all sides and encircles Fingon.
- Fingon is forced to fall back from the walls. His rearguard is mostly slain. Turgon rides forward with the rest of his soldiers and breaks the orc lines.
- Turgon and Hurin meet in the midst of battle.
- Maedhros finally arrives, but the hope the men and elves receive from seeing his banners is quickly dashed as Glaurung and Gothmog lead tens of thousands more orcs into battle.
First Appearance – Gelmir
Death – Gelmir, Hundar
Adapted from chapters ‘Of Beren and Luthien’ and ‘Of the Fifth Battle’ from The Silmarillion, ‘The Lay of Leithian’ from The Lays of Beleriand and ‘The Battle of Unnumbered Tears’ from The Children of Hurin.
- The Battle of Unnumbered Tears – Alan Lee
- Luthien’s Lament Before Mandos – Ted Nasmith
- Battle of Unnumbered Tears – Lomehir
- Glaurung and the Dwarves of Belegost – Lynton Levengood
- Gothmog cuts through the elves, separating Turgon and Fingon.
- Glaurung attacks Maedhros, who is ambushed by the traitorous Easterlings. Maedhros orders a retreat.
- Azaghal and the dwarves form the rearguard, protecting the elves from Glaurung. Glaurung attacks Azaghal, but is then attacked by all sides by the dwarves. Azaghal is crushed, but manages to stab Glaurung. The dragon retreats back to Angband.
- The dwarves carry their King back to Belegost.
- Gothmog duels Fingon, who matches him blow for blow. Fingon however is caught in the whip of another balrog and killed by Gothmog. The balrogs then hew and pound his body into the dust.
- Hurin covers Turgon’s retreat to Gondolin. Now surrounded, all his men fight to the death. Huor is killed by an arrow to the eye. Come upon by a host of orcs and trolls, Hurin slays them all and is buried under their corpses.
- Turgon’s army reaches Gondolin. He orders the gates locked and sealed forever.
- Luthien and Beren return to Doriath, lifting the winter of Thingol. Thingol is amazed, and grants the two his blessing to do whatever they wish with their lives.
- Melian sees the mortality in Luthien’s eyes and cannot bear to witness her daughter’s death.
- Beren and Luthien say goodbye to the people of Doriath and leave to live in Ossiriand, away from war.
- The sons of Feanor pass Himring, now overrun with orcs. Maedhros declares it lost and the brothers pass into the south.
- The few remaining soldiers of Fingon return to Hithlum with the blood-drenched banner of Fingon. They warn the residents that Easterlings are on their way. They abandon Hithlum.
- Hurin is taken to Angband in chains. Gwindor is also imprisoned.
- Morgoth betrays the Easterlings and confines them to Hithlum, instead of giving them reign over Beleriand as promised.
- Finrod walks through Valinor with his father, Finarfin. He is overcome with joy at being reunited with Amarie, his beloved.
- Beren and Luthien settle in Ossiriand, in a small house away from the rest of civilisation. There they have a son, Dior.
First Appearance – Dior
Deaths – Fingon, Huor, Azaghal, Ulfang
Adapted from ‘Of Beren and Luthien’ and ‘Of the Fifth Battle’ from The Silmarillion, ‘The Lay of Leithian’ from The Lays of Beleriand, ‘The Battle of Unnumbered Tears’ and ‘The Words of Hurin and Morgoth’ from The Children of Hurin, ‘Narn I Hin Hurin’ from Unfinished Tales and ‘The Grey Annals’ from The War of the Jewels.
- Battle of Unnumbered Tears – ?
- Glaurung Fighting with Dwarves – Justin Gerard
- Nirnaeth Arnoediad – Unnumbered Tears – Jenny Dolfen
- Hurin – Fragoulis
- Finrod and Amarie II – Hemhet
Season 2 covers the Long Peace and the breaking of the Siege of Angband, from the beginning of the First Age to Year 456. There are a few time skips of several hundred years. This season sees the Dagor Aglareb, construction of Gondolin and Nargothrond, the coming of Men and the Dagor Bragollach.
Prologue – Eregion
- Elrond and his sons meet with Maglor again. This time he is in Eregion, Celebrimbor’s old kingdom. Maglor is convinced to tell Elrond’s sons about how Beleriand was overtaken by Morgoth.
- Maedhros hangs from Thangorodrim. Morgoth and Sauron both taunt and torment him. He refuses to give up secrets about the Noldor.
- Both Maedhros and Sauron see Thorondor from afar.
- Fingolfin begins building his kingdom, Hithlum.
- Believing Maedhros dead, Maglor and the Sons of Feanor prepare to leave Mithrim and go east.
- Fingolfin gives Fingon a domain in the west, Dor-lomin.
- Turgon struggles to get over his wife’s death, becoming protective of Idril. He blames Feanor and his sons for Elenwe’s death.
- Thorondor arrives to inform Feanor’s sons of Maedhros’ imprisonment.
- Thingol welcomes Noldor ambassadors in his land, but refuses to give up land of Beleriand to them.
- Thingol’s daughter, Luthien, is curious about the Noldor. Thingol refuses to let her leave Doriath.
First Appearances – Luthien, Nimloth
Adapted from chapters ‘Of the Return of the Noldor’ and ‘Of Beleriand and its Realms’ from The Silmarillion.
- Lake Mithrim – J.R.R. Tolkien
- Maedhros Upon Thangorodrim – Jenny Dolfen
- Prayer of Fingon – Tuuliky
- None of Feanor’s sons are prepared to rescue Maedhros from Thangorodrim. Out of love for his friend, Fingon volunteers to go instead.
- Thorondor flies Fingon to Angband, where they find Maedhros chained. Fingon has to climb the steep precipice to get to him. Unable to undo the chain, Fingon is forced to cut off Maedhros’ hand.
- Thorondor flies them back to Mithrim. Maedhros reunites with his brothers. In gratitude and repentance for the burning of the ships, Maedhros relinquishes claim as the heir of Finwe and appoints Fingolfin High King of the Noldor.
- Caranthir and Feanor’s sons disagree with what Maedhros has done.
- Finrod travels to Doriath, to speak with Thingol personally. There he sees his sister, Galadriel, again.
- Fingolfin calls all the elves to reunite in one cause.
- Finrod and Thingol speak at length. Thingol gives permission for the Noldor to occupy the northern lands. They travel to the Feast of Reuniting together.
Pools of Irvin
- The Feast of Reuniting is held. Ambassadors from all lands arrive
First Appearances – Ecthelion, Annael
Adapted from ‘Of the Return of the Noldor’ and ‘Of Beleriand and Its Realms’ from The Silmarillion and ‘The History of Galadriel and Celeborn’ from Unfinished Tales
- Maedhros’s Rescue from Thangorodrim – Ted Nasmith
- Rescue of Maedhros from Thangorodrim – Catherine Karina Chmiel
- Finrod and Galadriel – ?
- Feast of Reuniting – Murrauddin
- Finrod and Turgon leave to journey along Sirion
- They are both sent dreams by Ulmo of hidden sanctuaries. Tumladen and High Faroth.
- When they return to Vinyamar, Turgon goes to find Tumladen.
- Unable to find the place in his dreams, Turgon is visited directly by Ulmo, who guides him to Tumladen.
- Turgon returns to Vinyamar as he sees orcs passing through the Pass of Sirion
- Maedhros and his brothers hunt down the orcs that have penetrated Maglor’s Gap.
- Fingolfin prepares his army for war. He sends Finrod to Doriath once more to enlist the help of Thingol.
- Melian befriends Galadriel. Galadriel tells of the tale of the Noldor, but leaves out the Kinslaying.
- Thingol hears rumours of Valinor. He asks Angrod about the events that led the Noldor to Middle-Earth. He learns of the Silmarils and of the Kinslaying at Aqualonde. Horrified, he bans Quenya in Beleriand and forbids any of the House of Feanor to enter Doriath.
Adapted from chapters ‘Of the Return of the Noldor’, ‘Of Beleriand and Its Realms’ and ‘Of The Noldor in Beleriand’ from The Silmarillion.
- The Rage of Ulmo – Ralph Damiani
- The Coast of Mithrim – Tuuliky
- Ossiriand – Jenny Dolfen
- Galadriel and Melian – yalanrei
- Finrod comes to Doriath once more. He asks Thingol for his help, but Thingol refuses to fight alongside the Sons of Feanor. Galadriel stays in Doriath.
- Angrod and Aegnor hold off the main host of Angband on the plains.
- Finrod returns to Hithlum. After learning of Thingol’s decision, Fingolfin rides out to meet Maedhros.
- Fingolfin and Maedhros plan a counter-attack.
- Fingolfin counter-attacks in the west, while Maedhros counter-attacks in the East.
- The two armies drive the orcs back to Thangorodrim, where they are destroyed.
- Fingolfin sets up the Siege of Angband, posting a watch on the fortress at all times. Fingon guards the north west, Orodreth the Pass of Sirion from Minas Tirith and Feanor’s sons in the East.
- Finrod comes to High Faroth, the location of his planned fortress.
- Turgon removes his people from Vinyamar to Tumladen. He leaves a sword, helm and mail there by Ulmo’s words.
- Montage of the construction of Gondolin
Adapted from chapters ‘Of the Return of the Noldor’, ‘Of Beleriand and Its Realms’ and ‘Of The Noldor in Beleriand’ from The Silmarillion.
- Gondolin – Billy Mosig
- There Will Be Blood – Jenny Dolfen
- Noldor Sentinels – Felix Sotomayor
- Eol, the Dark Elf, crafts a master sword, Anglachel, he gives to Thingol. After receiving little gratitude, he leaves the forest.
- Turgon welcomes his people to Gondolin. He has a private moment with his daughter dedicating the city to his late wife.
- Finrod continues construction of his fortress with help of the dwarves.
(200 Years Later)
- Aredhel seeks permission to leave Gondolin. Turgon agrees only if she sees Fingon, but she disobeys.
- Glaurung, father of dragons, leads a host from Thangorodrim and pushes the Noldor from Ard-Galen.
- Eol feasts with the dwarves of the Blue Mountains. After the feast he returns to Nan Elmoth, where he comes across Aredhel, daughter of Fingolfin. Using his enchanting voice, he lures her deeper into the forest, where he ensnares her.
- Fingon rides against Glaurung with a company of mounted archers. The orcs are driven back, but Glaurung remains. Fingon personally shoots Glaurung in the eye, causing him to retreat.
- Finrod, Maglor and Maedhros hunt east of the river
- Leaving the brothers, Finrod encounters men of the House of Beor. Welcoming them to Beleriand, he speaks with Beor the Old.
First Appearances – Eol, Beor, Malach, Glaurung, Azaghal
Adapted from chapters ‘Of the Return of the Noldor’, ‘Of the Noldor in Beleriand’, ‘Of Maeglin’ and ‘Of the Coming of Men Into the West’ from The Silmarillion and ‘The Grey Annals’ from The War of the Jewels.
- Nan Elmoth – Noldomirwen
- Nargothrond – J.R.R. Tolkien
- Eol Welcomes Aredhel – Ted Nasmith
- Glaurung is Humbled – Ted Nasmith