The Battle of Unnumbered Tears is brought forward to coincide with the deaths of Beren and Luthien, acting as the climax of the third season.
- The orcs of Dorthonion flee the mighty host of Maedhros as he heads back east.
- Riders come to enlist Thingol’s aid for the Union and a demand for the Silmaril. Still grieving for his daughter, Thingol angrily sends them away against Melian’s counsel. Beleg and Mablung join the Union instead.
- Riders also come to enlist Orodreth’s armies. Orodreth refuses to side with Celegorm over his actions in the death of Finrod. However, Gwindor leads a small host to join Fingon without Orodreth’s knowledge.
- Maedhros hears of Thingol’s decision. Celegorm vows to destroy Doriath after dealing with Morgoth. Maedhros gathers his captains (his brothers, Azaghal, Ulfang and Bor) and marches out of Himring.
Halls of Mandos
- Luthien awakes as a shade in the Halls of Mandos, alongside dead elves of ages past. She is called before Mandos.
- Finrod meets Luthien before Mandos, where he is told he will be reincarnated to live in Valinor.
- Luthien sings of her grief to Mandos, who is moved to pity with the circumstances of her death. Mandos summons Beren from the mortal houses of the dead to meet with Luthien again.
- Mandos consults Manwe, who gives Luthien a choice of either living forever in Valinor with her kin or returning to Earth with Beren but only as a mortal. Luthien accepts her mortal fate.
- The armies of Hurin, Cirdan and Gwindor meet in the woods of Ered Wethrin. Fingon relays the battle plan to all his captains.
- Morgoth receives a visitor, Ulfang of the Easterlings. Ulfang betrays Maedhros’ plans to Morgoth.
- Rumours spread of a traitor in Maedhros’ army. This causes them to be delayed.
- Fingon’s army anxiously awaits the arrival of Maedhros.
- Maedhros is suddenly attacked by an army from Angband. Maedhros defeats them, but is now severely delayed.
- Smoke and fire pour forth from Thangorodrim, leading Fingon to realise that Morgoth knows of their presence. Many begin to despair until they see Turgon arrive with 10,000 elves.
- Gwindor’s brother Gelmir is brought out in front of Fingon’s army, where he is mutilated and killed. Gwindor charges forward and attacks the army of Angband, leaving Fingon no choice but to follow.
- Gwindor charges past the gates of Angband, which is snapped shut. Gwindor’s army is slaughtered and a huge host emerges from all sides and encircles Fingon.
- Fingon is forced to fall back from the walls. His rearguard is mostly slain. Turgon rides forward with the rest of his soldiers and breaks the orc lines.
- Turgon and Hurin meet in the midst of battle.
- Maedhros finally arrives, but the hope the men and elves receive from seeing his banners is quickly dashed as Glaurung and Gothmog lead tens of thousands more orcs into battle.
First Appearance – Gelmir
Death – Gelmir, Hundar
Adapted from chapters ‘Of Beren and Luthien’ and ‘Of the Fifth Battle’ from The Silmarillion, ‘The Lay of Leithian’ from The Lays of Beleriand and ‘The Battle of Unnumbered Tears’ from The Children of Hurin.
- The Battle of Unnumbered Tears – Alan Lee
- Luthien’s Lament Before Mandos – Ted Nasmith
- Battle of Unnumbered Tears – Lomehir
- Glaurung and the Dwarves of Belegost – Lynton Levengood