Season 4 begins immediately after Season 3. It covers the entire story of The Children of Hurin, along with Tuor’s Coming to Gondolin. The story of the Noldor takes a back seat this season, the remaining Noldor appearing relatively few times compared to past seasons. Other storylines covered include Idril and Maeglin, The Wanderings of Hurin, the Nauglamir and Dior and Nimloth.
Prologue – Rivendell
- Maglor finally comes to Elrond’s home, Rivendell. Here he tells Elrond and his bright-eyed daughter Arwen the tales of Turin and Tuor.
- Morwen and Rian care for their children, Turin, Lalaith and Tuor, awaiting word of their husbands.
- Rian cannot stay in Dor-lomin and leaves to find Huor. She refuses to leave Tuor in Dor-lomin and brings him to the elves of Mithrim.
- Lalaith becomes ill with the plague.
- Turin helps Sador with his work. When Turin brings him tools he has stolen, Sador tells him to return them and not to steal.
- Rian is told of Huor’s death by Fingon’s folk. She abandons Tuor and wanders alone in the wild.
- Morgoth chains Hurin to a chair on the foremost peak of Thangorodrim, cursing his kin and forcing him to watch their fate through his eyes after Hurin refuses to give up the location of Gondolin.
- Gwindor is forced into labour.
- Turgon is crowned High King of the Noldor. A headstone is erected for Fingon beside Fingolfin’s grave.
- Easterlings invade the broken realms of Hithlum and Dor-lomin. Many elves and men are forced to flee, many more become slaves.
- Annael leads his men and young Tuor out of Mithrim and into the caves of Androth.
- Only three men return from the Battle of Unnumbered Tears.
- Lalaith dies. A small funeral is held, but shortly after Easterlings ransack their homes.
- Morwen hides Turin from the Easterlings, as he is the heir of Hador.
- Morwen along with Sador send Turin away under cover of darkness with two guards. They are ordered to take him to Doriath.
First Appearances – Tuor, Brodda, Asgon, Arwen, Grithnir, Gethron
Deaths – Lalaith, Emeldir
Adapted from chapters ‘Of the Fifth Battle’ and ‘Of Turin Turambar’ from The Silmarillion, ‘Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin’ and ‘Narn i Chin Hurin’ from Unfinished Tales and ‘The Battle of Unnumbered Tears’, ‘The Words of Hurin and Morgoth’ and ‘The Departure of Turin’ from The Children of Hurin.
- Hurin’s Family – Anna Kulisz
- Lalaith – Ted Nasmith
- Turin and Labadal – Catherine Chmiel
- Hurin in his Chair – Alan Lee
- Tuor in Caves of Androth – ?
- The Falas are besieged by orcs and Easterlings and quickly overrun. Cirdan, Gil-Galad and others escape by ship.
- Morwen realises she is pregnant with Hurin’s third child.
- Sador lives with Morwen, aiding her while she is pregnant.
- The leader of the Easterlings, Brodda, claims lordship over the remaining people.
- Turin journeys through the secret way over Ered Wethrin to Doriath.
- Turin and his guards become entangled in the Girdle of Melian, where they are found by Beleg.
- Beleg takes them to Menegroth.
- Thingol welcomes them. He agrees to foster Turin in honour of both Hurin and Beren.
- Melian instructs Nellas, an elf-lady, to take care of Turin.
- Turin has been trained by Beleg into a great warrior. He joins Beleg on the borders of Doriath.
- Thingol tells Turin all news from Dor-lomin has ceased. Turin requests to bring the fight to Morgoth. Thingol appoints him a Knight of the Sword and returns the Dragon Helm of Hador.
- Turin and Beleg go north and join the elves fighting Morgoth’s forces on the borders.
- Morwen and her daughter, Nienor, remain in service to Brodda. They receive aid from Aerin, a cousin of Hurin forced into marriage with Brodda.
- Sador overhears rumours of the Dragon Helm fighting once again.
- Rian, nearly dead from exhaustion, comes to the Hill of the Slain, which she falls upon and dies.
First Appearances – Nienor, Nellas, Aerin, Saeros
Death – Rian
Adapted from chapters ‘Of the Fifth Battle’ and ‘Of Turin Turambar’ from The Silmarillion, ‘The Grey Annals’ from The War of the Jewels, ‘Narn i Chin Hurin’ from Unfinished Tales and ‘The Departure of Turin’ and ‘Turin in Doriath’ from The Children of Hurin.
- The Hill of the Slain – Ted Nasmith
- Doriath – Beleg and Young Turin – Elena Kukanova
- Turin and Beleg – lyazgina
- Nienor – Liga Klavina
- An elf comes to Menegroth, revealed as Dior, the son of Beren and Luthien. Thingol is overjoyed to have another of his kin in the forest.
- Turin journeys with the outlaws. The band comes across homesteads that they harass and steal from. Turin does nothing to restrain them.
- Beleg traces the outlaws through the wilderland. He comes across people who tell him news of Turin.
- During one raid, Turin tries to save the daughter of a woodsman from being pursued, killing Forweg in the process. Turin takes up leadership of the band.
- Beleg finally comes across the Gaurwaith while Turin is away. He confronts them about Turin’s whereabouts but instead they capture him.
- Turin returns and releases Beleg. He berates the men on their actions and declares they shall no longer raid villages of men or elves, their only target now is Morgoth.
- Turin and Beleg speak privately about Turin’s pardon. Turin refuses to return to Doriath and Beleg departs for Menegroth.
- Morgoth taunts Hurin over his family. He orders Sauron to put a price on Turin’s head.
- Gwindor kills his torturers and escapes Angband, despite losing a hand.
- Beleg returns to Doriath and requests to join Turin. Thingol releases him from service. Beleg takes with him the Dragon-Helm.
- The Gaurwaith find three dwarves and capture them. One, Khim, is wounded by Androg. His father Mim ransoms his life by leading the band to their home, Amon Rudh.
- Khim dies and the Gaurwaith decide to stay in the caves with the Petty-Dwarves.
- Beleg finds Turin on Amon Rudh. He brings Turin the Dragon-Helm and stays with him.
- Sador smuggles Morwen and Nienor out of Dor-lomin. They head to Doriath.
- Tuor is forced to serve Lorgan.
- One night Tuor manages to break his chains and escape Dor-lomin. He returns to Androth.
First Appearances – Mim, Khim, Larnach
Death – Forweg, Khim
Adapted from chapters ‘Of Turin Turambar’, ‘Of the Ruin of Doriath’ and ‘Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin’ from The Silmarillion, ‘Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin’ and ‘Narn i Chin Hurin’ from Unfinished Tales and ‘Turin among the Outlaws’, ‘Of Mim the Dwarf’, ‘The Death of Beleg’ and ‘Turin in Nargothrond’ from The Silmarillion.
- Turin Turambar – Alan Lee
- Turin Returns to Find Beleg Being Held Captive – Ted Nasmith
- Mim Pleads for His Life – Ted Nasmith
- Tuor Escapes the Easterlings – Peter Xavier Price
- Gwindor is unrecognised by most at Nargothrond, save for Finduilas.
- Turin introduces himself as the Bloodstained, son of Ill-fate. The elves reforge Anglachel for Turin, who names it Gurthang.
- Turin wishes to prove himself in battle and does so. Orodreth admits him to his council.
- Turin urges Orodreth to abandon their secrecy and strike against Morgoth.
- Despite Gwindor’s warnings, Orodreth listens to Turin and makes a great number of weapons. A bridge is built over the Narog.
- Finduilas falls for Turin, who does not return her affections. Gwindor reminds her of his race and his curse.
- Morgoth sends out Glaurung to destroy Nargothrond
- Morwen and Nienor hear of rumours that Mormegil of Nargothrond is Turin. Morwen leaves Doriath alone.
- Thingol sends riders after Morwen. Nienor conceals herself among them.
- Mablung finds Morwen and wishes to take her back to Doriath. Morwen refuses. Mablung feels compelled to protect her so goes along with her.
- Turin grows to command the armies of Nargothrond.
- Messengers from Cirdan arrive, seeking Orodreth. They carry a message from Ulmo, warning Nargothrond to shut their gates.
- Word comes of Glaurung heading south. Orodreth and Turin ride out with the army.
- Orodreth is slain and the elves are defeated. Gwindor is wounded but saved by Turin. A dying Gwindor pleads with Turin to save Finduilas.
- Turin returns to Nargothrond but Glaurung follows soon after. Glaurung breaks the doors and kills, burns amd captures many inside. Turin stands against Glaurung but is caught in his glare.
- Glaurung taunts Turin, but Turin manages to break the spell and stab at his eyes. Glaurung retreats. Turin believes the words of Glaurung and leaves to find Morwen and Nienor instead of pursuing the enemy.
- Tuor follows the stream to Nevrast, Turgon’s old land. He follows seven swans to the castle of Vinyamar, where he finds the shield, armour and sword left there by Turgon.
- Outside the castle a large storm brews. Tuor goes outside and before him appears Ulmo. Ulmo has Tuor seek out Gondolin, shadowing him with a great cloak.
First Appearances – Gelmir (II), Arminas
Deaths – Gwindor, Orodreth
Adapted from chapters ‘Of Turin Turambar’ and ‘Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin’ from The Silmarillion, ‘Of Tuor and His Coming to Gondolin’ and ‘Narn i Chin Hurin’ from Unfinished Tales and ‘Turin in Nargothrond’, ‘The Fall of Nargothrond’ and ‘The Journey of Morwen and Nienor to Nargothrond’ from The Children of Hurin.
- The Fall of Nargothrond – Walter Florusse
- Turin and Finduilas – Elena Kukanova
- Assault on Nargothrond – Pete Amachree
- Ulmo, Lord of the Waters – John Howe
- Glaurung returns to Nargothrond, turning the treasure there into his bed.
- Finduilas cries out for Turin, but hears no reply.
- Turin speeds to Dor-lomin, but as he went he thinks he hears the cries of Finduilas.
- Tuor prepares to leave but finds an elf outside the walls. His name is Voronwe and upon hearing of Ulmo’s instruction, gladly guides Tuor to Gondolin.
- Tuor and Voronwe come across Turin heading north, although Turin does not see them.
- Turin arrives to find his childhood home empty and dark. He asks for shelter in the house of Brodda.
- Sador halts Turin and tells him of what has happened.
- Turin confronts Brodda. Lady Aerin tells him of Morwen’s whereabouts. Turin throws Brodda, breaking his neck. The men of Dor-lomin revolt against the Easterlings, killing all in the hall.
- Sador and Aerin force Turin to leave. Turin flees Dor-lomin with any rebels that will follow him.
- Aerin burns down the hall of Brodda, killing herself in the process.
- Morwen reaches Nargothrond. Mablung leaves her with a group outside and takes the rest into the city.
- They awaken Glaurung, who scatters Mablung’s riders and attacks the group outside. Nienor is separated from the others. Glaurung finds her on the hill. With his glare he renders her mind blank.
- Mablung returns to Nienor alone. Realising her memory is gone, he is forced to lead her back to Doriath by the hand.
- Turin tries to track the orcs that took Finduilas.
- The orcs are waylaid by the men of Brethil. They kill all their captives, impaling Finduilas against a tree. She asks the men to tell Turin where she died.
- Turin comes across an orc host attacking a group of men. He slays them all then asks for word of Finduilas.
- The men lead him to Finduilas’ grave and then to Ephel Brandir, where Turin stays and meets their chieftain, Brandir.
- Mablung rests near the borders of Brethil. They are ambushed by orcs and Nienor flees into the forest.
- Nienor collapses on the Grave of Finduilas, where she is found by Turin.
First Appearances – Dorlas, Hardang, Hunthor, Manthor, Brandir, Voronwe
Deaths – Finduilas, Brodda, Aerin
Adapted from chapters ‘Of Turin Turambar’ and ‘Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin’ from The Silmarillion, ‘Of Tuor and His Coming to Gondolin’ and ‘Narn i Chin Hurin’ from Unfinished Tales and ‘The Return of Turin to Dor-lomin’, ‘The Coming of Turin into Brethil’ and ‘The Journey of Morwen and Nienor to Nargothrond’ from The Children of Hurin.
- Turin Discovers Nienor at the Mound of Finduilas – Ted Nasmith
- Tuor and Voronwe see Turin at the Pools of Irvin – Ted Nasmith
- Hall of Brodda Burning – Alan Lee
- Nienor and Glaurung – DonatoArts
- Nienor Flees into the Woods – Ted Nasmith
- Turin does not know Nienor and he brings her back to Ephel Brandir. He tells her his name is Turambar. He calls her Niniel, Maid of Tears.
- Brandir heals Niniel. Months pass and she learns to speak again and helps Brandir with his lameness. Turin grows very fond of her.
- Turin and Niniel fall in love. Against Brandir’s advice, he asks for her hand in marriage.
- Brandir warns Niniel of the curse on Turambar’s family, as he has fallen for her as well. Niniel says the shadow on him has been lifted.
- Seeing his children unknowingly fall in love breaks Hurin’s mighty spirit. Morgoth taunts him once more.
- Turin and Niniel wed with a great feast. The men of Brethil honour them with a house of their own. That night she becomes pregnant.
- Mablung returns to Thingol in shame. He steps down as Captain and leaves to find Morwen and Nienor.
- Dior and Nimloth are wed in Menegroth.
- Dior and Nimloth return to Ossiriand.
- Tuor and Voronwe reach the gate of Gondolin. They are taken as prisoner to Ecthelion. Tuor shows him the weapons and armour of Vinyamar, and Ecthelion knows he has been sent by Ulmo.
- Ecthelion brings Tuor to Turgon. Tuor gives the warning said to him by Ulmo, but his eyes are drawn to Idril.
- Thorondor brings word of the Fall of Nargothrond.
- Maeglin speaks against Tuor. Turgon refuses the bidding of Ulmo and decides to stay in Gondolin.
- Tuor courts Idril, telling her tales of the outside world while she recounts the adventures of the Noldor. Maeglin watches them from afar.
- The people of Gondolin take kindly to Tuor, including Turgon. He gives Tuor leave to be with Idril if he wishes.
Adapted from chapters ‘Of Turin Turambar’, ‘Of The Ruin of Doriath’ and ‘Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin’ from The Silmarillion, ‘Of Tuor and His Coming to Gondolin’ and ‘Narn i Chin Hurin’ from Unfinished Tales and ‘Nienor in Brethil’ from The Children of Hurin.
- Tuor Reaches the Hidden City of Gondolin – Ted Nasmith
- Turin and Niniel – EmberRoseArt
- Dior and Nimloth – kimberly80
- Turgon Receives Tuor and Voronwe
- Glaurung sends his orcs to Brethil. He follows after.
- Dorlas rides against the orcs, but is driven back. He returns to Turin with the news. Turin takes up Gurthang agains and rides out.
- Turin kills the orcs, but further news comes of the forest burning in the west.
- Turin returns to Niniel and tells her Glaurung has come for him. He leaves with a band of woodmen to kill the dragon.
- Turin finds Glaurung near Teiglin and sets men to watch him.
- With Dorlas and Hunthor, Turin begins to hunt the dragon.
- Niniel refuses to sit and wait for her doom. With many others she leaves to find Turin and his men.
- Brandir curses his followers for disobeying him. He breaks his staff and declares Turin Lord of Brethil before following Niniel and the others.
- Dorlas turns back at Cabed-en-Aras. Turin and Hunthor continue on until they are below Glaurung.
- Glaurung begins his assault, crossing the ravine. Turin climbs up below him He stumbles but is caught by Hunthor, who is hit on the head by a stone and falls to his death.
- Turin climbs up to Glaurung and stabs his belly with full force. Glaurung screams and flings himself to the shore, where he writhes in agaony.
- Turin hurls himself up and comes to the place of the dying dragon. He pulls his sword out of Glaurung along with a spout of poisoned blood. The blood burns Turin, causing him to pass out.
- The people of Brethil are near and hear the screams of Glaurung. Niniel takes the screams as Glaurung destroying his foes and thinks Turin dead. She rushes out to find him.
- Niniel comes across Glaurung and Turin, Brandir behind her. Her cries awaken Glaurung. He reveals to her the truth of their kinship, and as he dies his spell upon her is broken. Niniel runs distraught with horror into the forest, where she casts herself into the ravine.
- Brandir could not stop her and returns to Turin. Dorlas comes across them and after an argument is killed by Brandir. Brandir returns to his people with the news of Turin and Nienor’s deaths.
- Turin awakes and returns to his people. Upon hearing of Niniel’s death and their kinship he slays Brandir and runs back to Cabed-en-Aras. There he finds Mablung, who confirms their kinship. In grief, Turin casts himself upon Gurthang, ending his life.
- Mablung and the men of Brethil burn Glaurung and bury Turin.
- Hurin is released by Morgoth.
- Years later, Hurin, now a broken old man, comes across the grave. There he finds Morwen and he holds her in his arms as she dies.
Deaths – Turin, Nienor, Morwen, Dorlas, Hunthor, Brandir, Glaurung
Adapted from chapters ‘Of Turin Turambar’ from The Silmarillion, ‘Narn i Chin Hurin’ from Unfinished Tales and ‘The Coming of Glaurung’, ‘The Death of Glaurung’ and ‘The Death of Turin’ from The Children of Turin.
- The Death of Glaurung – Alan Lee
- Turin – Liga Klavina
- The Death of Glaurung – John Howe
- Nienor’s Despair – Ted Nasmith
- Dragon’s Curse – John Howe
- The Death of Morwen – Alan Lee