- The dwarves pop out of the barrels when they arrive at Laketown, dirty and exhausted.
- Bard takes them to meet the Master.
- The Master throws a feast for the dwarves. Thorin hailed as a hero.
- The day after the feast, the dwarves ready to leave for Erebor.
- Saruman agrees to an attack on Dol Guldor.
- The elves of Lothlorien ready for the attack.
- The dwarves walk through Dale and find the secret door.
- Bilbo finds the thrush and the sun shines upon the keyhole.
- Thorin sends Bilbo down to steal something.
- Bilbo sees Smaug and steals a cup, taking it back to Thorin.
- Smaug notices the cup is gone and bursts out of the mountain. He finds the ponies and eats them. Bombur has remained at the bottom of the mountain. They hurl him up with a rope and flee inside the door before Smaug scorches the side of the mountain.
- They send Bilbo back down to find the Arkenstone. Smaug smells him this time. Bilbo flatters Smaug until he can find the Arkenstone, at the same time seeing Smaug’s weak spot.
- Smaug deduces Bilbo is from Laketown and so flies off to destroy it.
First Appearances – Smaug, Master of Laketown, Girion (flashback)
Adapted from chapters ‘A Warm Welcome’, ‘On the Doorstep’ and ‘Inside Information’ in The Hobbit and Appendix B of Lord of the Rings.
- Conversation with Smaug – J.R.R. Tolkien
- Laketown – J.R.R. Tolkien
- Abusing Hospitality – Henning Janssen
- When the Thrush Knocks – Ted Nasmith
- Scouring the Mountain – Ted Nasmith
- Smaug the Destroyer – Ted Nasmith
- The White Council leads the army of Lothlorien to Dol Guldor.
- The White Council defeat the orcs of Dol Guldor and drive out Sauron.
- Bolg leads an army of orcs and wargs past Beorn’s lands.
- Gandalf leaves the White Council.
- Gandalf comes across Bolg’s army on the borders of Mirkwood. He turns east and rides through the forest.
- Smaug hurls boulders and flames against the secret door.
- He flies towards Laketown
- Bilbo finds the thrush and writes a message for it to find Bard.
- Smaug comes upon Laketown. He flames the entire town, killing many.
- Bard and his men shoot at Smaug, but the arrows deflect off him.
- The thrush finds Bard with the message. Bard finds Smaug’s weak spot and hits it with his Black Arrow.
- Smaug dies, falling upon the town.
- The dwarves go down and discover the gold. Thorin gifts Bilbo with a Mithril coat.
- Through the front gate they see the destruction of Laketown.
- The survivors reach the shore. The people hail Bard.
- The raft-elves come upon them. Bard tells of Smaug’s death.
- A messenger comes to Thranduil, informing him of Smaug’s death.
- Bard argues with the Master about their direction. The people side with Bard and drive the Master away.
- Thranduil and his elves come to Esgaroth and help the survivors.
- Thranduil talks with Bard about the dwarves and their gold. They both agree they deserve portions.
Death – Smaug
Adapted from chapters ‘Not at Home’, ‘Fire and Water’ and ‘The Gathering of the Clouds’ in The Hobbit and Appendix B of Lord of the Rings.
- Gathering of the Clouds – David Wyatt
- Attack on Dol Guldur – Angus McBride
- Bilbo and the Thrush – Alarie
- Alert the Folk – John Howe
- The Black Arrow – Ted Nasmith
- Gandalf and Erebor – minenanoah
- The Numenoreans trade with the elves of Lindon and the men of the south.
- Messengers from Valinor arrive. The men of Numenor argue about why they are not allowed to sail to Valinor.
- The servants of Sauron construct Barad-Dur and the Black Gate.
Eregion (S.A. 1500)
- Celebrimbor and Sauron talk. Celebrimbor directs him to Gil-Galad.
- Celebrimbor makes advances on Galadriel, who refuses him.
- Celebrimbor creates a version of the Elessar for Galadriel.
- They are visited by dwarves of Khazad-Dum who ask for help in creating doorways to their kingdom.
- Celebrimbor creates the Door of Durin.
- Gil-Galad does not trust Sauron and turns him away.
- Sauron returns to Celebrimbor and suggests the idea for the Rings of Power.
- Sauron turns Celebrimbor against Galadriel, driving her away.
- The Rings of Power are made. Celebrimbor creates three rings without Sauron’s knowledge.
- Sauron leaves Eregion.
- Galadriel and Celeborn come across Lorinand and decide to settle there.
- Sauron creates the One Ring.
- As Sauron puts the Ring on, Celebrimbor becomes aware of his treachery. He sends messengers to Gil-Galad.
- Sauron attacks Eregion. Dwarves arrive from the east but are defeated. Gil-Galad sends word to Numenor.
- Celebrimbor sends the three rings away, two to Gil-Galad and one to Galadriel.
- Sauron tortures Celebrimbor for the location of the rings. Celebrimbor is killed and his body carried as a banner for the forces of Sauron.
First Appearances – Tar-Minastir, Ciryatur, Durin III, Narvi, Amdir, Amroth
Deaths – Celebrimbor
- City of Ost-in-Edhel Mural – Alan Lee
- Barad-Dur – J.R.R. Tolkien
- Sauron – Weillach
- Celebrimbor – Angus McBride
- The Forging of the One – Ted Nasmith
- Celebrimbor – Kaaile
- King Tar-Minastir sails to Lindon with many thousands.
- Elrond is besieged in Imladris.
- The Dunedain defeat Sauron and lift the Siege of Imladris.
- Sauron flees back to Mordor
- Sauron reveals he has captured the remaining Rings. He gives them to men and dwarves who trust him.
- Glorfindel returns to Middle-Earth, bringing with him the Blue wizards.
- The first White Council is held. Glorfindel introduces the Istari to the Council, detailing their mission.
- Elrond first meets Celebrian, the daughter of Galadriel and Celeborn.
- The King’s Men, under Pharazon, return from battling Sauron in Middle-Earth.
- The King’s Men speak out against the Valar and the elves.
- The Faithful, led by Amandil and his son Elendil, tend to the fading White Tree and to the Hallow of Eru.
- King Tar-Palantir repents for the actions of past Kings and seeks the forgiveness of the Valar, but it does not come.
- The majority of the Numenoreans remain against the Valar, encouraged by Pharazon.
- Sauron claims his title as King of Men. He releases the Nazgul to terrorise the people of Middle-Earth.
First Appearances – Tar-Palantir, Pharazon, Amandil, Elendil, Isildur, Anarion, Miriel, The Witch-King, Alatar, Pallando
Deaths – Tar-Minastir, Ciryatur, Narvi, Durin III
- White Tree of Numenor
- Imladris – Eric Faure-Brac
- Glorfindel – Liga Klavina
- At the Foot of the Meneltarma – Jef Murray
- Black Riders – John Howe
Season 5 will be the last season covering Quenta Silmarillion and the First Age. All major stories of Beleriand will be tied up and Maglor’s tales will end with the reveal of the full relationship between he and Elrond and the events that led to their meeting. Season 5 covers Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin, Earendil and the War of Wrath as well as the Second and Third Kinslayings in Doriath and the Havens of Sirion. The last episode and climax of the First Age is outlined as a feature-length film. Unfortunately many details of the War of Wrath itself have to be created for the series as there is precious little descriptions in the published text.
- Maglor returns to the sea, passing by a familiar hill. Elrond catches up with him, demanding to know the full story of his father, the Oath and their time together. Elrond believes he is owed an explanation of Maglor’s actions, something he believes he did not get when he was young.
- Turgon meets with Tuor and appoints him leader of the House of the Swan Wing.
- Idril walks through the city with a young Earendil.
- Maeglin leaves Gondolin for the mines.
- Celegorm urges an attack on Doriath. Maedhros refuses and instead sends a demand for it to be returned.
- Dior rules Doriath while raising his two sons and his daughter.
- Dior receives the demand for the Silmaril. As an insult to the sons of Feanor, he chooses to send no answer.
- Unwilling to await the wrath of Maedhros, Galadriel wishes to leave with Celeborn for the Havens of Sirion.
- Morgoth reveals to Sauron that he knows the location of Gondolin from the cries of Hurin.
- Sauron sends out orcs to scout the mountains for an entrance to Gondolin.
The Havens of Sirion
- Cirdan sends ships to the west in an attempt to contact the Valar.
- After receiving no reply, Maedhros grants Celegorm leave to assemble a force to attack Doriath.
Adapted from chapters ‘Of the Ruin of Doriath’ and ‘Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin’ from The Silmarillion, ‘Of Tuor and His Coming to Gondolin’ from Unfinished Tales and ‘The Fall of Gondolin’ from The Book of Lost Tales.
- The Harp No Longer Sings – Jenny Dolfen
- Maglor and Elrond – Mintkim
- Idril and Earendil – RobeleskaZeppelin
- The Nauglamir is Returned to Dior Eluchil – Paula DiSante
- Celegorm amasses a large amount of followers. He returns to Maedhros.
- Maedhros leads his brothers and their followers towards Doriath.
The Havens of Sirion
- Cirdan awaits word from the ships.
- Only one ship returns. It brings word that the other six were lost. The way to the west is closed.
- Idril confides in Tuor her unease. She believes peace will not last and that Maeglin is not to be trusted.
- Tuor begins constructing in secret a tunnel out of the city.
- Galadriel prepares to leave. She asks Dior to follow her.
- The sons of Feanor attack in the middle of the night.
- Dior has all elves retreat into the caves. He is spotted by Celegorm and pursued.
- Dior gives the Nauglamir to Elwing and has guards escort her out.
- Celegorm is killed by Dior, who is then killed along with his wife by Curufin.
- Curufin and Caranthir die by the hands of Celeborn and his guards.
- Galadriel gathers followers, including Elwing, and escapes Menegroth.
- The rest of the elves in Menegroth are slaughtered.
- The followers of Celegorm capture Elured and Elurin, leaving them to starve in the forest.
- Sauron’s scouts come across Maeglin. Maeglin is taken prisoner.
- Maedhros searches for the Silmaril, but neither he nor his brothers or followers can find it.
- Celegorm’s followers return, telling Maedhros of their capture of the twins.
- Maedhros gives up the search for the Silmaril and goes into the forest to search for Elured and Elurin.
- Elured and Elurin come across Maedhros, but hide away from him.
Deaths – Dior, Nimloth, Nellas, Celegorm, Caranthir, Curufin
Adapted from chapters ‘Of the Ruin of Doriath’ and ‘Of Tuor and The Fall of Gondolin’ from The Silmarillion, ‘The History of Galadriel and Celeborn’ from Unfinished Tales and ‘The Fall of Gondolin’ from The Book of Lost Tales.
- The Death of Curufin – Jenny Dolfen
- Idril Tuor Maeglin – Catherine Chmiel
- Death in Doriath – Svetlana Nikonova
- Maeglin Taken Prisoner by Orcs – Catherine Chmiel
- Maedhros Searching for the Sons of Dior – Jenny Dolfen
- Turgon is brought reports from Glorfindel that spies gather around the mountains. Turgon doubles the guard and keeps everyone on full alert.
- Tuor shows Idril the passage out of the city.
- Maeglin is tortured by orcs.
- Morgoth comes to speak with Maeglin. He offers to spare Maeglin if the entrance to Gondolin is revealed.
- Maeglin, still undeterred, refuses. Morgoth then promises kingship of the city and Idril. Maeglin decides to betray Turgon.
- Galadriel and her followers escape the forest. She sets a constant guard on Elwing and the Silmaril and leads them to the Havens.
- Maedhros brings the bodies of his brothers back to their home.
- Maedhros, Maglor and Amras discuss their next move. Maedhros is reluctant to continue searching the wilderness.
- Maeglin returns to Gondolin. He lies about his wounds and returns to his place by Turgon’s side.
- Idril notices the change in Maeglin.
- Maeglin convinces a few lords to take his word over Turgon’s.
- Turgon ignores the words of Idril and prepares the city for the feast of the Gates of Summer.
- Gothmog leads a great host of orcs over the northern hills of Tumladen.
First Appearance – Salgant
Adapted from chapters ‘Of the Ruin of Doriath’ and ‘Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin’ from The Silmarillion, ‘The History of Galadriel and Celeborn’ from Unfinished Tales and ‘The Fall of Gondolin’ from The Book of Lost Tales.
- Turgon on His Throne – Catherine Chmiel
- Tuor, Gelmir and Arminas – Ted Nasmith
- Maedhros the Tall – Tuuliky
- The Storm is Coming – Liga Klavina