Season 5 will be the last season covering Quenta Silmarillion and the First Age. All major stories of Beleriand will be tied up and Maglor’s tales will end with the reveal of the full relationship between he and Elrond and the events that led to their meeting. Season 5 covers Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin, Earendil and the War of Wrath as well as the Second and Third Kinslayings in Doriath and the Havens of Sirion. The last episode and climax of the First Age is outlined as a feature-length film. Unfortunately many details of the War of Wrath itself have to be created for the series as there is precious little descriptions in the published text.
- Maglor returns to the sea, passing by a familiar hill. Elrond catches up with him, demanding to know the full story of his father, the Oath and their time together. Elrond believes he is owed an explanation of Maglor’s actions, something he believes he did not get when he was young.
- Turgon meets with Tuor and appoints him leader of the House of the Swan Wing.
- Idril walks through the city with a young Earendil.
- Maeglin leaves Gondolin for the mines.
- Celegorm urges an attack on Doriath. Maedhros refuses and instead sends a demand for it to be returned.
- Dior rules Doriath while raising his two sons and his daughter.
- Dior receives the demand for the Silmaril. As an insult to the sons of Feanor, he chooses to send no answer.
- Unwilling to await the wrath of Maedhros, Galadriel wishes to leave with Celeborn for the Havens of Sirion.
- Morgoth reveals to Sauron that he knows the location of Gondolin from the cries of Hurin.
- Sauron sends out orcs to scout the mountains for an entrance to Gondolin.
The Havens of Sirion
- Cirdan sends ships to the west in an attempt to contact the Valar.
- After receiving no reply, Maedhros grants Celegorm leave to assemble a force to attack Doriath.
Adapted from chapters ‘Of the Ruin of Doriath’ and ‘Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin’ from The Silmarillion, ‘Of Tuor and His Coming to Gondolin’ from Unfinished Tales and ‘The Fall of Gondolin’ from The Book of Lost Tales.
- The Harp No Longer Sings – Jenny Dolfen
- Maglor and Elrond – Mintkim
- Idril and Earendil – RobeleskaZeppelin
- The Nauglamir is Returned to Dior Eluchil – Paula DiSante
- Celegorm amasses a large amount of followers. He returns to Maedhros.
- Maedhros leads his brothers and their followers towards Doriath.
The Havens of Sirion
- Cirdan awaits word from the ships.
- Only one ship returns. It brings word that the other six were lost. The way to the west is closed.
- Idril confides in Tuor her unease. She believes peace will not last and that Maeglin is not to be trusted.
- Tuor begins constructing in secret a tunnel out of the city.
- Galadriel prepares to leave. She asks Dior to follow her.
- The sons of Feanor attack in the middle of the night.
- Dior has all elves retreat into the caves. He is spotted by Celegorm and pursued.
- Dior gives the Nauglamir to Elwing and has guards escort her out.
- Celegorm is killed by Dior, who is then killed along with his wife by Curufin.
- Curufin and Caranthir die by the hands of Celeborn and his guards.
- Galadriel gathers followers, including Elwing, and escapes Menegroth.
- The rest of the elves in Menegroth are slaughtered.
- The followers of Celegorm capture Elured and Elurin, leaving them to starve in the forest.
- Sauron’s scouts come across Maeglin. Maeglin is taken prisoner.
- Maedhros searches for the Silmaril, but neither he nor his brothers or followers can find it.
- Celegorm’s followers return, telling Maedhros of their capture of the twins.
- Maedhros gives up the search for the Silmaril and goes into the forest to search for Elured and Elurin.
- Elured and Elurin come across Maedhros, but hide away from him.
Deaths – Dior, Nimloth, Nellas, Celegorm, Caranthir, Curufin
Adapted from chapters ‘Of the Ruin of Doriath’ and ‘Of Tuor and The Fall of Gondolin’ from The Silmarillion, ‘The History of Galadriel and Celeborn’ from Unfinished Tales and ‘The Fall of Gondolin’ from The Book of Lost Tales.
- The Death of Curufin – Jenny Dolfen
- Idril Tuor Maeglin – Catherine Chmiel
- Death in Doriath – Svetlana Nikonova
- Maeglin Taken Prisoner by Orcs – Catherine Chmiel
- Maedhros Searching for the Sons of Dior – Jenny Dolfen
- Turgon is brought reports from Glorfindel that spies gather around the mountains. Turgon doubles the guard and keeps everyone on full alert.
- Tuor shows Idril the passage out of the city.
- Maeglin is tortured by orcs.
- Morgoth comes to speak with Maeglin. He offers to spare Maeglin if the entrance to Gondolin is revealed.
- Maeglin, still undeterred, refuses. Morgoth then promises kingship of the city and Idril. Maeglin decides to betray Turgon.
- Galadriel and her followers escape the forest. She sets a constant guard on Elwing and the Silmaril and leads them to the Havens.
- Maedhros brings the bodies of his brothers back to their home.
- Maedhros, Maglor and Amras discuss their next move. Maedhros is reluctant to continue searching the wilderness.
- Maeglin returns to Gondolin. He lies about his wounds and returns to his place by Turgon’s side.
- Idril notices the change in Maeglin.
- Maeglin convinces a few lords to take his word over Turgon’s.
- Turgon ignores the words of Idril and prepares the city for the feast of the Gates of Summer.
- Gothmog leads a great host of orcs over the northern hills of Tumladen.
First Appearance – Salgant
Adapted from chapters ‘Of the Ruin of Doriath’ and ‘Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin’ from The Silmarillion, ‘The History of Galadriel and Celeborn’ from Unfinished Tales and ‘The Fall of Gondolin’ from The Book of Lost Tales.
- Turgon on His Throne – Catherine Chmiel
- Tuor, Gelmir and Arminas – Ted Nasmith
- Maedhros the Tall – Tuuliky
- The Storm is Coming – Liga Klavina
- The few guards on the hills are quickly slaughtered. The red light of the sun blinds the city to the advance in the north.
- Riders come to Turgon saying Morgoth has crossed the mountains.
- Turgon calls his commanders to council. Tuor advises to flee, but Maeglin, Salgant and other lords advise to hold. Turgon listens to Maeglin.
- The Gondolindrim deploy for battle
- Turgon’s war machines fire. Gothmog leads an assault on the North Gate with Morgoth’s iron war machines.
- Maeglin kidnaps Idril and Earendil and takes them to the walls.
- Tuor catches Maeglin on the walls as he is about to throw Earendil. Their houses fight. Tuor is victorious and casts Maeglin from the walls to his death.
- Dragons manage to breach the wall. Gothmog breaks through the north gate.
- Tuor leaves Idril with Voronwe and joins Glorfindel and Ecthelion in battle.
- Balrogs, dragons and orcs attack the remaining men. Despite balrogs and dragons falling, Tuor is forced to retreat to the Square of the King.
- Seven dragons lead the assault and Tuor is thrown down and forced to retreat. Ecthelion covers him, facing Gothmog. Despite being wounded and disarmed he drives his helmet into Gothmog’s chest, forcing him into the Fountain of the King. He holds onto Gothmog until they both drown.
- Turgon retreats to the tower, where he decries his own dismissal of Ulmo and casts off his crown. He bids the people follow Tuor.
- Tuor leads the people south towards the secret way.
- Turgon is killed as the Tower is broken and falls upon him.
- Tuor is reunited with Idril and later Earendil.
- The group is split over which path to take. Tuor leads his followers to Eagle’s Cleft, the other group head for the Way of Escape and are slain by a dragon.
- A balrog and many orcs catch them on the pass. Glorfindel stands against it. He throws the balrog off the pass but falls himself.
- The eagles kill the remaining orcs. They bury Glorfindel and escape Gondolin.
First Appearances – Elgamoth, Penlod, Galdor, Rog
Deaths – Turgon, Maeglin, Ecthelion, Glorfindel, Gothmog, Elgamoth, Penlod, Galdor, Rog, Salgant
Adapted from ‘Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin’ from The Silmarillion and ‘The Fall of Gondolin’ from The Book of Lost Tales.
- Morgoth’s Forces Before Gondolin – John Howe
- The Siege of Gondolin – John Howe
- Attack of the Dark Forces – John Howe
- Maeglin Laid Hands on Idril, and on Earendil – Catherine Chmiel
- Ecthelion and Gothmog – Nicholas Cloister
- Last Stand – Lourdes Velez
- Glorfindel and the Balrog – John Howe
- Turin returns to Menegroth at a time Thingol is away. Saeros, one of Thingol’s counsellors, is bothered by a man being in Doriath and while Thingol is absent hurls insults about Turin’s family at him. Turin throws a dish in his face.
- Saeros attacks Turin the next day, but is overpowered. Turin forces him to run naked through the woods. Mablung chases calling for him to stop, but Saeros attempts to jump over a gorge and falls to his death.
- Mablung wishes for Turin to return to Menegroth for trial, but Turin refuses and outcasts himself.
- Beleg returns to Menegroth and hears of the deed, but refuses to believe Turin would murder someone.
- When Thingol returns he holds trial for Turin. On the verge of outlawing him, Beleg returns with Nellas, who is a witness to Saeros’ assault.
- Beleg requests to bring Turin back. Thingol sends him with the sword Anglachel.
- Turin comes across a band of outlaws, the Gaurwaith. They surround him with bent bows.
- A man fires at Turin, who ducks and then kills him with a perfectly timed stone throw. Forweg, the leader, allows Turin to take his place.
- The sons of Feanor roam the wild, debating their next move. Celegorm wants to sack Doriath as he swore he would, but Maedhros does not.
- Nienor matures into a woman. She is noticed by Lorgan, an Easterling chieftain, who plans to force her into marriage.
- Aerin is beaten by Brodda when he catches her aiding Morwen.
- Annael hears word that Cirdan has established a new haven near Sirion. He resolves to leave the caves of Androth.
- The elves attempt to cross to Sirion, but are assaulted by Easterlings
- Tuor is taken captive and brought to the house of Lorgan.
- Maeglin finishes construction on the Seventh Gate of Gondolin, the Gate of Steel. He is eager to show it to Idril, but she is uninterested.
First Appearances – Lorgan, Forweg, Androg, Algund, Ulrad, Orleg
Deaths – Saeros
Adapted from ‘Of Maeglin’, ‘Of Turin Turambar’ and ‘Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin’ from The Silmarillion, ‘Narn i Chin Hurin’ and ‘Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin’ from Unfinished Tales, ‘Turin in Doriath’ and ‘Turin among the Outlaws’ from The Children of Hurin.
- Turin is Surrounded by the Outlaws – Alan Lee
- Saeros’ Fatal Leap – Ted Naismith
- Anglachel – Elena Kukanova
- Idril and Maeglin – Catherine Chmiel
- The outlaws ambush and destroy several orc-bands.
- More and more men join the outlaws.
- Mim’s hatred for Beleg grows too much and he leaves to seek out servants of Morgoth.
- Mim betrays the location of Amon Rudh to the orcs, who keep his son as a hostage. Mim leads them to his home.
- The orcs attack the outlaws and drive them inside the cave. They try to escape but all are slain save for Turin and Beleg, who are captured.
- Turin is taken by the orcs while a wounded Beleg is left to die. Mim prepares to kill Beleg but is scared off by Androg, who manages to free Beleg before he dies.
- Beleg stitches his own wounds and goes after Turin. He follows the orc tracks and comes across Gwindor. Together they find the orc camp.
- Tuor ambushes a group of Easterlings near his cave. He slays them all.
- Tuor comes to the spring near his cave to find it overflowing. The stream flows in a direct line away to the west. Tuor follows it.
- Beleg dispatches the guards and finds Turin tied to a tree. Gwindor and Beleg carry him out of the camp to a thicket of thorn trees. There Beleg attempts to cut Turin’s bonds, but Anglachel slips and cuts Turin. Turin awakes and sees a dark figure bending over him and thinking it’s an orc tormentor seizes the blade and kills Beleg.
- A flash of lightning reveals Beleg’s face. Turin’s fury is so terrible all Gwindor can do is cower on the ground.
- Turin sits unmoving for a long while, before Gwindor rouses him to bury Beleg. Gwindor takes Anglachel.
- Gwindor leads Turin to Nargothrond.
- Morwen and Nienor arrive at Doriath, but are devastated to not find Turin there. They stay as guests of Thingol and Melian.
- Dior courts Nimloth. He also strikes up a great friendship with Galadriel and Celeborn.
Havens of Sirion
- Ulmo appears to Cirdan and Gil-Galad in their new home. He has a warning for Orodreth.
- Maeglin asks Turgon for Idril’s hand, but he refuses. He says the Eldar do not wed with kin so near.
- Maeglin begs Idril to run away with him. Idril scorns Maeglin for his dark character, saying she never liked him.
- Turgon offers Maeglin the position of his right hand if Maeglin does not bother Idril again.
Deaths – Beleg, Androg, Algund, Orleg, Ulrad
Adapted from chapters ‘Of Maeglin’, ‘Of Turin Turambar’ and ‘Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin’ from The Silmarillion, ‘Of Tuor and His Coming to Gondolin’, ‘Narn i Chin Hurin’ and ‘The History of Galadriel and Celeborn’ from Unfinished Tales and ‘The Land of Bow and Helm’, ‘The Death of Beleg’, ‘Turin in Nargothrond’ and ‘The Fall of Nargothrond’ from The Children of Hurin.
- Beleg’s Death – Felix Sotomayor
- Turin Captured – Catherine Chmiel
- Beleg’s Death – Anke Eissmann
- Turgon-Idril-Maeglin – Lady Ithilwen