- The few guards on the hills are quickly slaughtered. The red light of the sun blinds the city to the advance in the north.
- Riders come to Turgon saying Morgoth has crossed the mountains.
- Turgon calls his commanders to council. Tuor advises to flee, but Maeglin, Salgant and other lords advise to hold. Turgon listens to Maeglin.
- The Gondolindrim deploy for battle
- Turgon’s war machines fire. Gothmog leads an assault on the North Gate with Morgoth’s iron war machines.
- Maeglin kidnaps Idril and Earendil and takes them to the walls.
- Tuor catches Maeglin on the walls as he is about to throw Earendil. Their houses fight. Tuor is victorious and casts Maeglin from the walls to his death.
- Dragons manage to breach the wall. Gothmog breaks through the north gate.
- Tuor leaves Idril with Voronwe and joins Glorfindel and Ecthelion in battle.
- Balrogs, dragons and orcs attack the remaining men. Despite balrogs and dragons falling, Tuor is forced to retreat to the Square of the King.
- Seven dragons lead the assault and Tuor is thrown down and forced to retreat. Ecthelion covers him, facing Gothmog. Despite being wounded and disarmed he drives his helmet into Gothmog’s chest, forcing him into the Fountain of the King. He holds onto Gothmog until they both drown.
- Turgon retreats to the tower, where he decries his own dismissal of Ulmo and casts off his crown. He bids the people follow Tuor.
- Tuor leads the people south towards the secret way.
- Turgon is killed as the Tower is broken and falls upon him.
- Tuor is reunited with Idril and later Earendil.
- The group is split over which path to take. Tuor leads his followers to Eagle’s Cleft, the other group head for the Way of Escape and are slain by a dragon.
- A balrog and many orcs catch them on the pass. Glorfindel stands against it. He throws the balrog off the pass but falls himself.
- The eagles kill the remaining orcs. They bury Glorfindel and escape Gondolin.
First Appearances – Elgamoth, Penlod, Galdor, Rog
Deaths – Turgon, Maeglin, Ecthelion, Glorfindel, Gothmog, Elgamoth, Penlod, Galdor, Rog, Salgant
Adapted from ‘Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin’ from The Silmarillion and ‘The Fall of Gondolin’ from The Book of Lost Tales.
- Morgoth’s Forces Before Gondolin – John Howe
- The Siege of Gondolin – John Howe
- Attack of the Dark Forces – John Howe
- Maeglin Laid Hands on Idril, and on Earendil – Catherine Chmiel
- Ecthelion and Gothmog – Nicholas Cloister
- Last Stand – Lourdes Velez
- Glorfindel and the Balrog – John Howe