- Beren watches Luthien for a time, before he reveals himself. He calls her ‘Nightingale’. Luthien flees from him with Daeron, not understanding fear.
- Beren searches for Luthien again. He hears her singing on a hill. He runs out of the shadows crying ‘Tinuviel’. Luthien does not flee after she sees his fair form.
- Beren relays his story to Luthien, including the death of his father.
- Luthien takes him back to her father’s realm, but does not inform Thingol.
- Luthien leaves every day to see Beren, making Thingol curious.
- Still suffering from despair, Luthien cradles Beren’s head against her breast, holding his hand. He falls for her. Seeing the love and happiness her actions give to Beren, she falls for him too.
- Luthien refuses to go walking with Daeron. Out of duty, Daeron informs Thingol of Beren.
- Thingol speaks to Melian and Galadriel about Luthien, who warn him against angering his daughter
- Orodreth and the two Sons of Feanor come to Nargothrond. Finrod is hesitant to welcome Celegorm and Curufin but does so.
- Caranthir and Amras reach Amon Ereb, where they make deals with Azaghal the dwarf of Belegost.
- Sauron reports back to Morgoth, who is pleased. He tasks Sauron to man Minas Tirith while he attacks Hithlum.
- Fingon has gotten word that Morgoth is planning to attack Hithlum from the north. He rides out to meet them.
- Vastly outnumbered, he is overrun. Luckily, word had reached Cirdan in the Falas, who sailed his ships north and saves Fingon.
- Galdor was slain in combat. Hurin defies the orders of Fingon and chases the orcs throughout Anfauglith, slaughtering many.
First Appearances – Gwindor, Edrahil
Deaths – Galdor
Adapted from chapters ‘Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin’ and ‘Of Beren and Luthien’ from The Silmarillion, ‘The Lay of Leithian’ from The Lays of Beleriand and ‘The Grey Annals’ from The War of the Jewels
- Beren and Luthien – maril1
- Tinuviel! Tinuviel! – woutart
- Nightingale – Paula DiSante
- Hurin on Horseback – Alan Lee
- Beren comes to Nargothrond, requesting audience with Finrod. Celegorm is hesitant to allow it, but Orodreth overrules him.
- Beren shows Finrod the Ring of Barahir, asking for his help. Remembering his oath, Finrod agrees.
- Celegorm and Curufin convince, with lies or threats, the majority of Nargothrond not to follow Beren.
- Finrod asks his soldiers to accompany him, but only ten come forward.
- Finrod leaves Orodreth in charge.
- Beren and Finrod come across a pack of orcs. Nearing Tol Sirion, they ambush and kill the orcs, taking their gear. Finrod disguises them all.
- Beneath Minas Tirith however, Sauron’s servants see through the disguises and they are captured.
- Brought before Sauron, Finrod attacks him. Sauron shrugs it off and attacks Finrod with spells. Finrod fights back with spells and songs of Quenya from Valinor, but is unable to overcome Sauron.
- Sauron locks them away. He sends a werewolf in to execute them.
- In the dark, the werewolf picks them off one by one as they are chained. When it comes for Beren, Finrod sees it and breaks his chains. Finrod is wounded deeply, but manages to kill the wolf with his bare hands.
- Barely alive, Beren calls Finrod’s oath redeemed. Finrod passes away in the tower he himself had built.
- In a dream, Luthien sees Beren chained in a dungeon. Melian comes to her and confirms that Beren is held captive.
- Luthien manages to lull the guards to sleep using her powers as the daughter of Melian. She steal a horse and escapes Doriath.
- Celegorm takes Curufin and Huan to follow Finrod.
- Luthien races to Minas Tirith, but she is found by Huan in the forest. Huan takes her back to Celegorm.
- When Celegorm learns of her identity, he appears friendly to her. However, he confides in Curufin that he wishes to marry her.
- Curufin sends a letter to Doriath entailing Celegorm’s intentions.
Deaths – Finrod, Edrahil
Adapted from ‘Of Beren and Luthien’ from the Silmarillion and ‘The Lay of Leithian’ from The Lays of Beleriand.
- Beren and Finrod – Alice Falto
- Beren Before Felagund – Anke Eissmann
- Duel – Hellga-Z
- Luthien Escapes the Treehouse – Ted Nasmith
- Beren is visited by Sauron and told that he is left to starve. Finrod’s body is displayed before the gates.
- Luthien is brought to Nargothrond. Orodreth enquires about her but is lied to by Celegorm.
- Luthien is locked away and Celegorm reveals his true intentions.
- Betraying his master, Huan speaks to Luthien. Feeling pity for her, he helps her escape.
- Huan follows Luthien and promises to take her to Minas Tirith.
- Thingol discovers Luthien missing and is told of the letter from Celegorm. He sends riders out to find her.
- Huan brings Luthien to Minas Tirith. Guarded fiercely by wolves and orcs, Huan manages to slay every one of them and gains entry to the tower.
- Luthien sing for Beren. Beren hears her and calls back, believing himself delirious.
- Sauron also hears Luthien singing and wishes to capture her for Morgoth. He sends many wolves to kill Huan, but he kills them with ease.
- Sauron sends Drauglin to kill Huan, but Drauglin too is defeated. Finally, Sauron transforms into a wolf himself to fight Huan. Huan dodges his attacks, but Sauron lunges at Luthien. She whips him with her enchanted cloak, disorienting him.
- Huan fights Sauron, who shapeshifts many times. Eventually he wins and Luthien gives Sauron a choice, surrender Minas Tirith or be killed and sent back to Morgoth as a wraith. Sauron flees
- Luthien frees the prisoners and finds Beren. They bury Finrod on his isle and leave to walk in the woods again. Huan returns to Celegorm.
- Beren skins Drauglin and Thuringwethil and takes their hides.
- Thingol’s riders reach Nargothrond. When Orodreth hears their words, he exiles Celegorm and Curufin.
Deaths – Draugluin, Thuringwethil
Adapted from chapters ‘Of Beren and Luthien’ from The Silmarillion and ‘The Lay of Leithian’ from The Lays of Beleriand.
- Huan and Luthien Escape Nargothrond – Ted Nasmith
- Luthien Tinuviel and Huan Journey to Angband – Neerachar Sophol
- Huan Subdues Sauron – Ted Nasmith
Season 2 covers the Long Peace and the breaking of the Siege of Angband, from the beginning of the First Age to Year 456. There are a few time skips of several hundred years. This season sees the Dagor Aglareb, construction of Gondolin and Nargothrond, the coming of Men and the Dagor Bragollach.
Prologue – Eregion
- Elrond and his sons meet with Maglor again. This time he is in Eregion, Celebrimbor’s old kingdom. Maglor is convinced to tell Elrond’s sons about how Beleriand was overtaken by Morgoth.
- Maedhros hangs from Thangorodrim. Morgoth and Sauron both taunt and torment him. He refuses to give up secrets about the Noldor.
- Both Maedhros and Sauron see Thorondor from afar.
- Fingolfin begins building his kingdom, Hithlum.
- Believing Maedhros dead, Maglor and the Sons of Feanor prepare to leave Mithrim and go east.
- Fingolfin gives Fingon a domain in the west, Dor-lomin.
- Turgon struggles to get over his wife’s death, becoming protective of Idril. He blames Feanor and his sons for Elenwe’s death.
- Thorondor arrives to inform Feanor’s sons of Maedhros’ imprisonment.
- Thingol welcomes Noldor ambassadors in his land, but refuses to give up land of Beleriand to them.
- Thingol’s daughter, Luthien, is curious about the Noldor. Thingol refuses to let her leave Doriath.
First Appearances – Luthien, Nimloth
Adapted from chapters ‘Of the Return of the Noldor’ and ‘Of Beleriand and its Realms’ from The Silmarillion.
- Lake Mithrim – J.R.R. Tolkien
- Maedhros Upon Thangorodrim – Jenny Dolfen
- Prayer of Fingon – Tuuliky
This episodes marks a departure from the main plot to instead focus on the rest of Middle-Earth rather than the Noldor. The main focuses are Morgoth in Angband and Thingol in Doriath. I found it more effective to give Thingol and episode of his own rather than give him a couple of minutes of screen time every now and then.
Prologue – Doriath (Y.T. 1130)
Tells of how Melian the Maia came to Doriath. And the trance Elwe (Thingol) fell into when he saw her.
Angband (Y.T. 1497)
- Morgoth returns to his seat in Angband, received by Sauron.
- Sauron informs Morgoth of the Sindar Elves that dwell in Doriath.
- Morgoth orders Sauron to prepare the army for attack.
- Thingol meets with the dwarves of Belegost, forging an alliance. He returns home to Melian.
- Spies return to warn Thingol of orcs in the north.
- Doriath is suddenly assaulted by Morgoth in the First Battle.
- Thingol and his army go on the offensive. He and King Denethor of the Green Elves attack the orcs at Amon Ereb. Denethor is slain, but the elves are victorious. The retreating orcs are killed by dwarves.
- Returning to Menegroth, Thingol finds Galadriel and Celeborn.
- Feanor’s encampment in Mithrim ready for battle.
First Appearances – Thingol, Melian, Denethor
Deaths – Denethor
Adapted from chapters ‘Of Thingol and Melian’, ‘Of the Flight of the Noldor’ and ‘Of the Sindar’ from The Silmarillion, ‘The History of Galadriel and Celeborn’ from Unfinished Tales and ‘The Grey Annals’ from The War of the Jewels.
- King of Doriath – Elena Kukanova
- Nan Elmoth – Elwe and Melian – Elena Kukanova
- Angband – Unknown
- Beleg Departs Menegroth – Alan Lee